Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'd buy that for a $: Retro bargains

Options

Comments

That's gas.
    Ollie is going to restore it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

The cab i made into my street fighter i bought off a guy in mullingar years ago not working, the guy said it had tetris in it, when i opened it up at home it had street fighter alpha 3 and a tetris pcb inside it. I sold the street fighter on here i think a while later. (regret)

I love getting a new cab and opening it up and seeing whats inside, the amount of old irish money I have at home at this stage. I have my space invaders cocktail setup working with old 10p pieces i got from cabs and just have a load of them in the coin drawer.

I sold all my pcbs off last year, and of course now looking at getting some of them back again, the prices are unreal. on ebay TMNT and sunsetriders are selling for 500 euro!! no chance ill be buying them back!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Just got a Jap N64 with no wires or controllers for 20euros on ebay. Ill see if I can pick up the leads and a controller for cheap also!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

That's gas.
    Ollie is going to restore it.

Actually the thread isn't deleted. Google has just forgotten it.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66576247

The Flickr account with pics of it is still active too:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/30313370@N03/sets/72157624223632887/

The OP is still active on Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

TheW1zard wrote: »
    Just got a Jap N64 with no wires or controllers for 20euros on ebay. Ill see if I can pick up the leads and a controller for cheap also!

Also look into getting an Irish power supply for it. The Irish power supply will work with the JAP n64 and no need for a "step down" converter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

The monitor should be an MTC9000.

A guy on UKAVC has started selling delux cap kits for this monitor.

www.ukvac.com/forum/hantarex-mtc9000-cap-kits-interest-check_topic371445.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Also look into getting an Irish power supply for it. The Irish power supply will work with the JAP n64 and no need for a "step down" converter.

Cool thanks for that, seems i just have to saw off two plastic bits to let pal games work. Looking forward to it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Cool thanks for that, seems i just have to saw off two plastic bits to let pal games work. Looking forward to it!

PAL games might have issues on a NTSC machine. You are better off buying from the US or Japan. Ends up cheaper anyway.

Just be aware some PAL games are speed optimised meaning they might run too fast on NTSC or will play ok but the music will be sped up and sound awful. Unoptimised games should work ok but some will have glitches.

Just get NTSC. No real point owning PAL games and taking a chance. Places like Luke games website and eBay store are priced competitively and US games are cheaper than PAL usually. There's very few PAL exclusives and none really worth outside of maybe Rakuga Kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

The cab i made into my street fighter i bought off a guy in mullingar years ago not working, the guy said it had tetris in it, when i opened it up at home it had street fighter alpha 3 and a tetris pcb inside it. I sold the street fighter on here i think a while later. (regret)

I love getting a new cab and opening it up and seeing whats inside, the amount of old irish money I have at home at this stage. I have my space invaders cocktail setup working with old 10p pieces i got from cabs and just have a load of them in the coin drawer.

I sold all my pcbs off last year, and of course now looking at getting some of them back again, the prices are unreal. on ebay TMNT and sunsetriders are selling for 500 euro!! no chance ill be buying them back!

At first I was thinking that you were looking at advertised ebay prices, and I wouldn't have been too shocked.

But I just had a look myself, at sold prices, and yeah...turtles is regularly going for 400+

Ouch!

No way id be paying the average going rate now. I think the most I ever spent on a game was about 150, and that felt rough enough!

Ive said it before, these things *could* be future antiques. Not many left to begin with, unique, cant be copied (can be emulated, but that's very different), and already many decades old.

Or its a bubble waiting to burst. Either way, the main thing is enjoying a game of them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,462 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Jaysus, better pop up into the attic and put my Turtles PCB in something better than a random pizza style cardboard box...seemed apt!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Inviere

PAL games won't work in it, regardless of plastic tab removal. You need an import adapter to play PAL games on an NTSC machine, and even then, the compatibility is very low in my experience. As Retr0 says, you're far better buying US or JAP carts

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Nice selection of NTSC N64 games for sale here, including the pretty great Waverace 64
    http://www.adverts.ie/17829151

I know very little about n64 collecting, is €400 a reasonable price for the games?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I know very little about n64 collecting, is €400 a reasonable price for the games?

I don't know, it's a big outlay

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Free Sega Rally (missing some bits)

http://www.adverts.ie/18471067

Half thinking of selling on my copy of Snatcher CD....I don't even have a Mega CD like :o

• Registered Users Posts: 34,462 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Inviere wrote: »
    Half thinking of selling on my copy of Snatcher CD....I don't even have a Mega CD like :o

You don't own Snatcher CD to play it though, you own it to own it. CDRs are for playing :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've a spare copy of Fifa '95 and X-Men on the megadrive I'll trade you for it.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I've a spare copy of Fifa '95 and X-Men on the megadrive I'll trade you for it.

Throw in some stake soggy Tayto smokey bacon & I'll deal....

• Advertisement

Ok, listed. I don't expect it to shift easily given the value, but I'll leave it sit - https://www.adverts.ie/arcade-retro/snatcher-cd-sega-cd/18561993

Played the English patch Saturn version, great game. Something very cool about using the lightgun as an add on too

beejee wrote: »
    Played the English patch Saturn version, great game. Something very cool about using the lightgun as an add on too

Fairly heavily censored the Saturn version iirc?

Going off memory here but I think the Saturn version has all the "jiggly" stuff etc, and psx is censored down? I'm sure there's a comparison video on youtube

beejee wrote: »
    Going off memory here but I think the Saturn version has all the "jiggly" stuff etc, and psx is censored down? I'm sure there's a comparison video on youtube

Ah, seems to be the case
    Saturn Version's Pros
    1. Easiest to Procure - The least rare version of the Game and is the most affordable.
    2. Smooth Flowing Dialogue - Some pauses between lines have been shortened and some animation has been altered to flow more smoothly.
    3. Uncensored - Lacks the PlayStation's censoring. Some nudity has seemingly been added! Gore is also uncensored, but the Death of Alice remains concealed.
    4. Included Extras - This version includes a Set of Stickers along with the rest of the material included with the Game. This may have been compensation for the late release (One month after the PS version).

Saturn Version's Cons
    1. Lacks the Extra Options of PS1 Release - No Excuse except for possibly rushed development.
    2. No Mouse or Light Gun Support - Again possibly due to rushed development. These features were often overlooked anyway.
    3. Lesser Quality Audio - The ADPCM & AIF seem to have lost some quality compared to the PS1's XA. Sequenced Music also seems to be of lesser quality.
    4. Lesser Sprite Animation - lacks some animation from the PS1 release and other versions. Some has been added however. Example: Metal's flashlight moves over to the secret stairwell in Queen Hospital in all other versions EXCEPT the Saturn version. Again, possibly due to rushed development, or was just overlooked.

No lightgun support on Saturn, huh?! Must be getting mixed up with policenauts, been a while since I played them :p

If the Saturn doesn't have lightgun then the Sega cd is the obvious choice, adds a lot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭Doge

• Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭Doge

Heres something pretty useful for those with CRTs for people who lack s mega everdrive cart.

€ 2,90 20%OFF | 240P Test Patterns 16 bit MD Game Card For Sega Mega Drive For SEGA Genesis
    https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bc9u3wnQ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Not sure how good this is or if a bargain.

Nintendo sign
    http://www.adverts.ie/15578737

Advertisement