Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus and events

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭BeginnerRunner

Can you not just have a training PB and race PB and record them separately?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭py

Chivito550 wrote: »
    For road running, aren't GPS watches inaccurate? Like you might be within 100m in a 10km, but that's still a hell of a variance. So the time somebody is claiming isn't really the correct result. I ran a Parkrun once and my watch said 4.85km.

Had to compare Dublin half and full between 2019 and 2020 to see how much variance between them there were. Dublin half 2019 had an extra 100 metres compared with my virtual in 2020. Dublin full had an extra 160 metres compared with my virtual 2020.

I'll be taking 2020 times as my PBs as there's a large time difference between the two years for both runs. I'm not competing with anyone but myself. The distance was covered. Tis a PB for me. Other people might have different rules, these are mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Time trials are part of training with no races in my opinion to ensure you are training at the correct paces. If I got a personal best in a time trial I wouldn't count it as a PB but each to their own. I've done a few club virtual "races" and organised them too. They were just a distraction and some fun during the 1st lock down. I've never raced in a virtual race where you register and pay, then get a medal or what ever in the post. They don't appeal to me at all. I guess if my club decided to have their 10km race as a virtual race next year I'd probably do it to support the club

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Stark wrote: »
    The "Virtual Run the Line" is on this weekend. Now it's for a very good cause (Mountain rescue) but otherwise I think the idea is a bit farcical, especially now with travel restrictions so most people can't even get out to run it on trails. Better off just donating the money if you want to support them imo. I guess the one advantage is they already produced a stock of t-shirts and medals so it's an excuse to distribute them.

There's nothing farcical about it.

You have a bunch of options with it
    • Cancel registration and receive a refund
    • Switch to the virtual option and receive a refund for the difference
    • Switch to the virtual option and donate the difference
    • Do nothing and your entry will be donated to the mountain rescue team

I enter it ever year, but actually get around to running it rarely. It's no different this year, but it'll get me out this week and I like their t-shirts.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭6run28

Any word in the clubs/organisers about whether smaller marathons & races will go ahead in Spring ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

MY BAD wrote: »
    Time trials are part of training with no races in my opinion to ensure you are training at the correct paces. If I got a personal best in a time trial I wouldn't count it as a PB but each to their own. I've done a few club virtual "races" and organised them too. They were just a distraction and some fun during the 1st lock down. I've never raced in a virtual race where you register and pay, then get a medal or what ever in the post. They don't appeal to me at all. I guess if my club decided to have their 10km race as a virtual race next year I'd probably do it to support the club

Define "time trial".

You running laps around a track with you self timing or a mate stood at the side of the track timing and counting laps for you...

...or a measured and certified course with chip timing for start and finish, but each persons starts at 10 second intervals.

First one I wouldn't count for anything other than letting me know that I should try harder in the next race I do as if you get a good time in that situation then you clearly were not trying hard enough in your last race.
    The second one the same would apply, in that you ran it mostly solo but probably caught or were overtaken by a few people who started at different times but you variously got your pacing wrongs. But that it's a certified course and with official timing it can also count as an "official" PB.

That's why I searched out a measured and timed solo time trial event for my attempt at the virtual London Marathon. It happened that the virtual marathon app gave me a time 30 seconds quicker than I actually ran so I've used that for my GFA application, but the time that I ran the actual marathon is the one given by the official timer over the actual properly measured course. Whilst I couldn't really claim to have been racing anyone on the day, that does count in my list of completed marathons, if I'd just run the same route using only the virtual app it wouldn't count (there were people running the same route in reverse on the day).

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭echancrure

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

echancrure wrote: »

Because you have to spend 2 weeks in isolation if u come into the country.

Here you can walk around and do whatever you want

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Going against the grain here a little. I haven't raced enough to have official PBs for many distances. I've got my fastest times for most of the main distances I'm interested in through my watch at this stage and I'd use them as a more accurate guide for me now than any race PBs. I'd go so far as to call them PBs for myself. My course choices while not measured officially were certainly honest in terms of grade. I wouldn't be too bothered if they're not official or recognised by anyone else because my satisfaction at achieving them was validation enough for me.

I haven't raced a 10k in over 20 years (scary) and my last 5k race time is now a minute and a half less than what I ran recently.

All that said I haven't gone to the extent of logging them as actual PBs anywhere on something like Strava because well I didn't race them. So no one else will see me declaring them as PBs, but they are to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭crisco10

Going against the grain here a little. I haven't raced enough to have official PBs for many distances. I've got my fastest times for most of the main distances I'm interested in through my watch at this stage and I'd use them as a more accurate guide for me now than any race PBs. I'd go so far as to call them PBs for myself. My course choices while not measured officially were certainly honest in terms of grade. I wouldn't be too bothered if they're not official or recognised by anyone else because my satisfaction at achieving them was validation enough for me.

I haven't raced a 10k in over 20 years (scary) and my last 5k race time is now a minute and a half less than what I ran recently.

All that said I haven't gone to the extent of logging them as actual PBs anywhere on something like Strava because well I didn't race them. So no one else will see me declaring them as PBs, but they are to me.

I'd be in this category as well to be honest. More so because of strong gains in the last 18 months.

I'd really consistent training since changing jobs in Sep 2019 and hadn't raced since that. So my "official" 5km PB is 18:50 or something from May 2019, but this year I've done 3 TT's around 18:12/18:15. My PB isn't 18:50 as far as I'm concerned, if asked I tend to go say something like "about 18:15, but haven't done a race cos of Corona".

I actually think I would go so far as to change my Strava, as it does represent my peak ability at that distance, which is a PB for me. This is easy when the gap is relatively large, if it were 30 seconds over a half marathon (as my buggy effort was a few weeks ago), I wouldn't consider it tbh. All be it that with the drag of a buggy, "equaling" my PB gives me a satisfaction that my HM PB "effort" was probably a PB if you know what I mean. But that's a little off the point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Similar enough here too. I've never raced a 1m but my fastest mile was 7:01 in a 5k race. I did the boards TT earlier this year and i ran 6:38, i don't class it as an official PB but if i need my 1m pace to dictate a training pace I'd use 6:38 (well I'd probably round it to 6:40) rather than 7:01 as I feel it's a better predictor of where I am... If asked what my 1m pace is, i'd say 6:40 but likely mention that it's unofficial.

I haven't got any other "PBs" this year so it's not really relevant to me. And i can't see myself going after PB in a TT or Virtual Race. I think I'd just be left feeling frustrated that it's a "best time" but not a PB :confused:

As a general rule i think PBs are for personal satisfaction and a measure of progress against oneself only so if someone wants to count a time from a TT as a PB then it's no skin off my nose really. I've seen people run races that were clearly a couple of hundred metres short and still count the result as a PB so PBs can be fickle enough even in "official" races in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭pc11

echancrure wrote: »

Without accounting for the low prevalence in Japan and how the races are organised and their safety measure, that tells us very little unfortunately.

Plus, contact tracing at a race would be very difficult unless you have very strict tracing organisation, so saying there was only one case is likely not accurate in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭pc11

6run28 wrote: »
    Any word in the clubs/organisers about whether smaller marathons & races will go ahead in Spring ?

As soon as we hit Level 2, small races can restart.

If clubs are willing, that is. There may be limited appetite for taking it in.

But, I would hope that Raheny for instance restart their club races.

pc11 wrote: »
    As soon as we hit Level 2, small races can restart.

If clubs are willing, that is. There may be limited appetite for taking it in.

But, I would hope that Raheny for instance restart their club races.

March so:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Looks like anything from June onwards for large numbers will be safe thank God.

I'd say it might be smaller fields from April - June while things pick up so hopefully the larger races keep their powder dry for as long as possible and allow things take their course in politics/health circles.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The UK is jumping straight back into the next stage of their letting people into watch stadium sports after coming out of the national lockdown on 2nd December:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/55010011

Now that might not obviously be relevant to us ... but I would see things going along the lines of:
    1)football stadiums gradually filling up, zero cases being found to occur in stadiums (bars and such like will need to stay closed)
    2)non elite team sports allowed back, zero cases being found to occur in team sports
    3)parkrun returns (there are now rumours of junior events returning first), only need weeks to get things up and running
    4)small club running events return - need weeks/ months for planning and permissions
    5)big paid events feel confident enough to make plans for months in advance - need months for planning and permissions

parkrun needs football to return to take the heat off regarding public perception of large crowds, but small club running events need parkrun to return for them to feel confident about being able to spend the time/ effort in planning events. parkrun can move fairly quickly now when they are in a position to return. The rumours I'd seen about the potential for juniors to return first was previously not seen as something they would try because there would be too many bearded and grey haired 14 year olds suddenly taking part, think they have now changed that opinion (or decided that would be minimal) and figure it will be easier to get kids sports restarted as there are less restrictions on their activities in the UK at least.

robinph wrote: »
    The UK is jumping straight back into the next stage of their letting people into watch stadium sports after coming out of the national lockdown on 2nd December:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/55010011

Now that might not obviously be relevant to us ... but I would see things going along the lines of:
    1)football stadiums gradually filling up, zero cases being found to occur in stadiums (bars and such like will need to stay closed)
    2)non elite team sports allowed back, zero cases being found to occur in team sports
    3)parkrun returns (there are now rumours of junior events returning first), only need weeks to get things up and running
    4)small club running events return - need weeks/ months for planning and permissions
    5)big paid events feel confident enough to make plans for months in advance - need months for planning and permissions

parkrun needs football to return to take the heat off regarding public perception of large crowds, but small club running events need parkrun to return for them to feel confident about being able to spend the time/ effort in planning events. parkrun can move fairly quickly now when they are in a position to return. The rumours I'd seen about the potential for juniors to return first was previously not seen as something they would try because there would be too many bearded and grey haired 14 year olds suddenly taking part, think they have now changed that opinion (or decided that would be minimal) and figure it will be easier to get kids sports restarted as there are less restrictions on their activities in the UK at least.

I think Xmas will push it back a month!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

I think Xmas will push it back a month!!

I would feel confident booking a foreign marathon next Autumn, that’s something I wouldn’t have done last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    I would feel confident booking a foreign marathon next Autumn, that’s something I wouldn’t have done last month.

https://www.enschedemarathon.nl/

This is the oldest marathon on Dutch soil, it normally gets roughly 700 runners for the marathon. The way things are going here I don’t see any reason it won’t go ahead in April. Something some might consider.

Van.Bosch wrote: »

I think autumn is good, if not May to be honest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

I think autumn is good, if not May to be honest

The confidence was two fold - safety and fitness! Safety might be okay in May, fitness unlikely!

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭echancrure

Totally expecting a new lock down by mid-January: Covid will absolutely love xmas and new year's celebrations.

Stay safe, a vaccine may be coming, but the virus is just as bad as before.
    It's been a long year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,970 ✭✭✭✭event

Yeah be summer before any small events, winter before big city marathons

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

David Matthews is (probably a little optimistically) planning to do three Morton Live events end of January, start of February: January 30th, February 13th, February 27th.

It will depend on us getting to Level 2 by then (which seems unlikely at this point). But if they ran it like they did the events during the summer, I think it would as safe as any sport could be under the current circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Sacksian wrote: »
    David Matthews is (probably a little optimistically) planning to do three Morton Live events end of January, start of February: January 30th, February 13th, February 27th.

It will depend on us getting to Level 2 by then (which seems unlikely at this point). But if they ran it like they did the events during the summer, I think it would as safe as any sport could be under the current circumstances.

Very optimistic, but good to see initiative.

Not sure whether I'll run them though. Sprinting flat out in cold weather seems a little dodgey. Though if he were to include unusual distances like 150m and 300m it would make it a good training session and something a bit different to the championship distances.

The last race I took part in before this kicked off.
    Little did I think at the bull run esque start line that I wouldn't be back for a while..

http://rahenyshamrock.ie/?p=4309

Raheny 5 2021 gone virtual, sad times go on.
    God speed next October at this rate. Dr Death seems to have a plan to take the vaccine rollout mighty slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Ceepo

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/feidhlim-kelly-athletics-competition-needs-a-roadmap-to-recovery-and-fast-1.4420719?mode=amp

"Championship qualification isn’t just at stake, says Kelly, but running careers."

Something I have been saying lately as well.

When most other sports at elite level (Golf, Horse racing, GAA, Soccer, Rugby) and some of these are only "friendly games"), have some competition going ahead, its a shame that athletes are losing out, not just in terms of competition, but also with their earning potential.

Time for Athletics Ireland and European Athletics to step up to the task of getting some competitive competition going ahead in the near future..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

I see Rock and Roll has been canned permanently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Just like the Run for Life, pulled out of Ireland because they were not making enough money here.

• Advertisement

Every cloud etc..
    The bucket listers will be lost without a brand name to enter...

Time for Athletics Ireland to reinstate the park half as the national race.

Advertisement