Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amazon’s Biggest Ever Deals Event

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭podge018

podge018 wrote: »
    the Amazon Fire TV stick sale expected on Friday, when will that be available usually? 9am our time or is there any particular time the norm?

anybody?

I'm just worried I'll miss it and they'll be out of stock. Would nearly rather buy now than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

grogi wrote: »
    Euros
    grogi wrote: »
    And your bank charges you approximately 3% on top of the fair exchange rate...

Are you saying that you should pay in euros on amazon, and that the bank charges 3% more on that fair exchange rate??
    Im confused.

Personally I pay the sterling rate, and take the bank charge. not sure where the 3 % comes from, but it still seems better to me. IMO it works out cheaper than the amazon euro rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭Paddy_man

anybody?

I'm just worried I'll miss it and they'll be out of stock. Would nearly rather buy now than that.

They normally do a full day sale for those, but i'm not sure if they have a limited amount of stock or not, I dont think they do.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Just checked out my last amazon purchase: £71.98
    Amazon split this up into two orders when charging me as I ordered two items (may be because they split my order in two either to ship it faster).
    £62.99 + £8.99

For the first charge:
    Amazon total charge in euro: €92.72
    Bank charge in euro (€90.15) + fee (€1.57): €91.72

So on £63 you save €1 by using the bank to convert.

Now my bank has either a 1.75% charge on conversion or a minimum of €0.46 that applies. For the second charge this applied:

Second charge:
    Amazon total charge in euro: €13.23
    Bank charge in euro (€12.88) + fee (€0.46): €13.34

On £8.99 amazon converting saved €0.11.

Total difference was €0.89 cheaper using the bank. If buying loads of small items Amazon may be better, buying a big item, the bank.
    That is if it is usual for amazon to charge independently for items, if not then always use the bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭podge018

Paddy_man wrote: »
    They normally do a full day sale for those, but i'm not sure if they have a limited amount of stock or not, I dont think they do.

what time does a full day start at though, 9am?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Just checked out my last amazon purchase: £71.98
    Amazon split this up into two orders when charging me as I ordered two items (may be because they split my order in two either to ship it faster).
    £62.99 + £8.99

For the first charge:
    Amazon total charge in euro: €92.72
    Bank charge in euro (€90.15) + fee (€1.57): €91.72

So on £63 you save €1 by using the bank to convert.

Now my bank has either a 1.75% charge on conversion or a minimum of €0.46 that applies. For the second charge this applied:

Second charge:
    Amazon total charge in euro: €13.23
    Bank charge in euro (€12.88) + fee (€0.46): €13.34

On £8.99 amazon converting saved €0.11.

Total difference was €0.89 cheaper using the bank. If buying loads of small items Amazon may be better, buying a big item, the bank.
    That is if it is usual for amazon to charge independently for items, if not then always use the bank.

use revolut charge no conversion charge.

save yourself the full lot :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

How does it work? Any cost involved?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

How does it work? Any cost involved?

no cost. just download the app, open an account (use code MSE for a free 5er) get a virtual mastercard(and physical card if you want) and great exchange rates will follow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭biebiebie

what time does a full day start at though, 9am?

Around 6/7 am IIRC. Could be even earlier this year!

I would imagine that they'll honour all Fire Stick /TV orders. They only thing that might be affected is availability - maybe the later in the day you order, the longer the dispatch time due to available stock levels.
    So if you already know that you're buying one then buy it as soon as you can once the sale has gone live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,656 ✭✭✭✭ted1

listermint wrote: »
    use revolut charge no conversion charge.

save yourself the full lot :)

what address does the card use? does it get pass the sites that don't allow you to pay with an Irish credit card e.g ITUNES in the US

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ridonkulous

Lads any advice on how to get a TV from amazon.de to Ireland when it won't ship to Ireland or the UK?
    RossieMan wrote: »
    Google mailbox.de.
    Some people have used mailboxde (I haven't used it myself).
    I think you can get a quote from them for how mush they will charge. Just check the dimensions of the packed item on the amazon page and work from there.

I've signed up and it says that one of the prohibited items are TVs.

From email after sign up:

PROHIBITED GOODS
    r) extremely fragile items that are not packed in a special and suitable way which prevents them from getting harmed by usual manipulation with the delivery,
    x) too large deliveries. The Sender provides transport of deliveries which are not longer than 240 cm and the total of length, width and height does not exceed 300 cm and their weight does not exceed 50 kgs.
    z) TVs, LCDs, packaged furniture above 15 kg, toilet bowls, sinks, mirrors, white goods (washing machine, refrigerator, hood, cooktops, etc.), bumpers, spoilers.
    - Cash, weapons, live animals, narcotic and psychotropic substances
    Whole list: http://mailboxde.com/?action=mailboxdecom/prohibited-goods

Any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I've signed up and it says that one of the prohibited items are TVs.

From email after sign up:

PROHIBITED GOODS
    r) extremely fragile items that are not packed in a special and suitable way which prevents them from getting harmed by usual manipulation with the delivery,
    x) too large deliveries. The Sender provides transport of deliveries which are not longer than 240 cm and the total of length, width and height does not exceed 300 cm and their weight does not exceed 50 kgs.
    z) TVs, LCDs, packaged furniture above 15 kg, toilet bowls, sinks, mirrors, white goods (washing machine, refrigerator, hood, cooktops, etc.), bumpers, spoilers.
    - Cash, weapons, live animals, narcotic and psychotropic substances
    Whole list: http://mailboxde.com/?action=mailboxdecom/prohibited-goods

Any ideas?

Ryanair sale. Cheap flight to germany. Put tv in hold on way back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ridonkulous

This deal is so good that Ryanair flight might just be a runner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Second hand, right?

In my experience if the description is "used very good" or "used like new" it will be a new product with just some box damage plus they have 10% off any warehouse item for the next 5 days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

NATLOR wrote: »
    In my experience if the description is "used very good" or "used like new" it will be a new product with just some box damage plus they have 10% off any warehouse item for the next 5 days

Good to know but have seen some "used very good" warehouse descriptions saying things like
    Small scratches on screen (less than 0.6 cm. x 0.6 cm.). Small scratches on the back of item (less than 1/4 in. x 1/4 in.).
    So i guess ye have to read each description..?

is that 10% off applied at checkout or is it on the listed price?

• Advertisement

Scruff wrote: »
    Good to know. have seen some "used very good" warehouse descriptions saying scratched on "article" so do they just mean packaging?
    is that 10% off applied at checkout or is it on the listed price?

I can only go on my experience, i buy from the warehouse regularly and have never received any damaged or marked items. Also Amazon have an excellent returns policy so no risk involved really.
    The discount comes off automatically at the checkout and i think its available across all the sites

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,870 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but when I went to buy a DVD set and get it delivered to NI it went to the original price (sold by Amazon EU Sarl) instead of the Black Friday deal price. I take it the deals are only for delivery mainland UK?

mrcheez wrote: »
    Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but when I went to buy a DVD set and get it delivered to NI it went to the original price (sold by Amazon EU Sarl) instead of the Black Friday deal price. I take it the deals are only for delivery mainland UK?

It should be the same price no matter where the delivery destination is,by any chance was it a lightening deal and the time had elapsed on the offer price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,870 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

It should be the same price no matter where the delivery destination is,by any chance was it a lightening deal and the time had elapsed on the offer price?

I sorted it out... I had some promotional credit refunded to me from a previous order and it was combined with the Lightening Deal promotion into one "Promotion Applied" value (they didn't have the two promotions as separate line items) so I assumed they just deducted my promotion credit and left out the lightening deal... doh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,059 ✭✭✭Doge

Speedlink UK Layout Parthica Core LED Illumination Gaming Keyboard - Black

£26.99 delivered, thats £13 off,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Speedlink-Layout-Parthica-Illumination-Keyboard/dp/B00IOQVU5G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1448479812&sr=8-1&keywords=Speedlink+parthica

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I have received a LG G3 phone, described as 'Used - very good', with details: 'Packaging damaged'. It turned out with packaging damaged alright - but all foils and padding inside was gone too, and - the cherry on top - with battery dated almost a year earlier and giving back approximately 30% of rated capacity.

So, be aware :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Any good Laptop bargains?

MD1990 wrote: »
    Any good Laptop bargains?

Just bought this a few minutes ago http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B012VJ08JA?qid=1448536928&ref_=sr_1_1&s=computers&sr=1-1

Good deal!

Also used the new revolut card and saved money on fees, thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭bert911

Wileyfox Smartphone 99.99 Pound , 5" 4g Dual Sim 2g ram 16g + SD slot cyanogen OS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

If you know anyone living in the mainland UK (as they won't deliver alcohol to here or NI), the Amazon deals on Johnnie Walker whisky today are great value.

Just got myself a bottle of the Johnnie Walker Blue Label for £89.99. The same bottle is usually in excess of €200 to get here (currently €219.99 in Celtic Whiskey Shop)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

bert911 wrote: »
    Wileyfox Smartphone 99.99 Pound , 5" 4g Dual Sim 2g ram 16g + SD slot cyanogen OS
    Where did you get the specs for the phone? I didnt see them on the amazon page. i saw 4g, cyanogen os, sd slot but nothing on ram and memory. Its only about 25 pounds off original price too...

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭murphm45

Where did you get the specs for the phone? I didnt see them on the amazon page. i saw 4g, cyanogen os, sd slot but nothing on ram and memory. Its only about 25 pounds off original price too...

https://www.wileyfox.com/swift/

Scroll down a bit and you'll see a specifications sheet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭horse7

anyone familiar with that brand (wileyfox)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,059 ✭✭✭Doge

I caved in and ordered it within minutes. :pac:

Im a bit skeptical of the price, but if the colour is much better than my ****ty old TN panel, i'll be happy!

That laptop deal is cracking btw.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Pinzon Egyptian cotton towels 2 bath 2 hand for £16 something

Got some a few weeks ago and they are fine after an initial wash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

horse7 wrote: »

This is their first phone I think .

Can't go wrong for that price with cm on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

horse7 wrote: »

My brother has one and swears by it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

The wileyfox was getting huge attention before release. I think a few reviews say the battery could be better, or else that is about its big brother.

Either way, at that discount it is a very good deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

Just bought this a few minutes ago http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B012VJ08JA?qid=1448536928&ref_=sr_1_1&s=computers&sr=1-1

Good deal!

Just bought this too for the parents. Used my Debit Card and came up to £246. How much was it with the Revolut Card ?

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭barneyrub

Good deal!

Considering this but not sure if I should bite the bullet on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Pinzon Egyptian cotton towels 2 bath 2 hand for £16 something

Got some a few weeks ago and they are fine after an initial wash.

Aldi this Sunday - https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/sun-29-nov/

barneyrub wrote: »
    Considering this but not sure if I should bite the bullet on it
    What puts you off?
    jamescd wrote: »
    Just bought this too for the parents. Used my Debit Card and came up to £246. How much was it with the Revolut Card ?

It's £246 but if I used my debit card my bank would charge me another 1.75%, if I used the amazon converter to pay in euro I would pay 15e more than using revolut to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

What puts you off?

It's £246 but if I used my debit card my bank would charge me another 1.75%, if I used the amazon converter to pay in euro I would pay 15e more than using revolut to do it.

I see. How much was it in Euros with the Revolut Card ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

Any sign of Amazon doing £5/10 off anything or 10%/20% off anything, or is it just going to be specific items?

jamescd wrote: »
    I see. How much was it in Euros with the Revolut Card ?

I think something like 349

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭Nollog

Any sign of Amazon doing £5/10 off anything or 10%/20% off anything, or is it just going to be specific items?

it's 10% off everything on the warehouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Messi19

Picked myself up a new pair of headphones earlier. Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 for £99 + p&p. Got the 1.0 version last year and they're pretty sweet so I'm quite happy

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭barneyrub

What puts you off?
    Money more than anything. Ordered it anyway.
    Hope it's good enough! Currys have it on offer as well, happened to spot it in store but it was either 449or 499

• Registered Users Posts: 9 conor9369

Messi19 wrote: »
    Picked myself up a new pair of headphones earlier. Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 for £99 + p&p. Got the 1.0 version last year and they're pretty sweet so I'm quite happy

£99? Looked them up there and they're £199, is that a typo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Messi19

No. You're probably looking at the over ear ones. I got the on ear version

• Registered Users Posts: 9 conor9369

Messi19 wrote: »
    No. You're probably looking at the over ear ones. I got the on ear version

My mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭bored_newbie

Amazon had the Canon 1200D for £180 at half 6.
    Really wish I'd remembered to log on when I got home :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Amaxon.de has the 7" 8gb fire tablet down to €49.99, for the next 10 minutes
    ## ignore- won't post to Ireland or uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Argos have it for that price tomorrow for anyone interested

• Advertisement
Advertisement