Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GAMSAT 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭Urethra Franklin.

Tooms1234 wrote: »
    Ah on reading your post again I understand that you received hardcopies from NUIG which is fine. Originally I only sent scanned versions and this was the problem for the CAO. I think you should be ok then, sorry for any unnecessary panic.

Thanks Tooms! :) No real panic at all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Indecisivegirl

When I applied last year, instead of sending original transcripts I just wrote a sort of letter that gave them the code needed to access my electronic transcripts and also the website to go to to see the transcripts and since it’s like secure (because you need a code and it’s on the official website) it works out! I did send printed out transcripts too but I don’t think they took those into account since they weren’t like originals but the access to electronic ones was perfectly fine! Just incase anyone wants an alternative way other than having to pay for original transcripts from your college! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 1direction

Hi ya,

Last year when I applied I was almost rejected because of inadequate documentation. I sent transcripts instead of original copies. NUI Galway were very helpful to me by issuing my original copies as quick as possible once I found out there was an issue. I received the original copies just in time for my new deadline given to me by the CAO.
    Here is what they sent me last year.

"Dear Applicant,

This is an automated e-mail generated as a result of the e-mail address provided in your 2018 CAO application.

Thank you for your application to study Graduate Medicine. The institutions concerned have collectively reviewed your application and based on the documentation received as of July 15th 2018, you have been deemed ineligible to compete for the following reason:

- Inadequate documentation supplied (all candidates were required to submit original academic transcripts for all years of their first NFQ Level 8 primary degree, detailing final degree classification)

If you have a query with respect to what documentation is outstanding, you should contact one of the Admissions Offices to which you have applied.

If you wish to appeal this decision, you must do so by writing to CAO, outlining your appeal and presenting your outstanding supporting documents.

All documentation pertaining to your appeal must be received at CAO no later than Thursday July 26th, 2018 at 5.15 p.m. You should write 'Graduate Medicine Appeal' at the top of the envelope.

Please note that no appeals will be considered after July 26th, 5:15 p.m."

So I advise you to call the CAO tomorrow to confirm if your transcripts are adequate because they weren't for me. Hope this helps and good luck with your application.

Do you reckon that everyone who doesn’t have the right documents/ don’t submit documents get this opportunity to appeal the decision??

Currently have major issues getting transcripts from Ucd as they’ve told me they’re having some system issue or something with my transcripts. They seem to think it might be resolved early this week but I’ve low expectations because I’ve been after these transcripts for awhile now so was kind of wondering if it was possible to not submit and then just appeal the decision once I have the documents

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Adreidphysio

On the subject of documents, do Irish applicants who have lived and schooled in Ireland their whole life have to submit proof of their EU status? It's recorded that all my secondary school and university years were in Ireland on my CAO application, but I'm just paranoid in case they need something more than that. Anybody know any different or am I just being paranoid?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭indiep

I didn't do this last year so your'e grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Medico008

Does anyone have any idea when UL starts the academic year?

Hey yeah! Incoming 1st years have orientation week stating Monday the 2nd of September (Last year we didn't have anything on the Monday so you will likely be starting on the 3rd of September).

Y1 Classes start Sept 9th.

Is there any way of knowing if cao received what you sent in?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭arainagusime

1direction wrote: »
    Is there any way of knowing if cao received what you sent in?

You email or call them.

In the past two weeks I couldn't get through on the phone and via email it just is a copy paste response to contact next week or at the end of the week. They say things are being scanned at the moment and individual documents cannot be traced.

The deadline is soon to submit documents so not sure what to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Registered post would be the best option to confirm they received your goods

Registered post would be the best option to confirm they received your goods

Did that and finally got though to the CAO after 12 calls. They have a small staff but they were lovely on the phone. Totally sorted now - they are now able to confirm receipt of documents.

Did that and finally got though to the CAO after 12 calls. They have a small staff but they were lovely on the phone. Totally sorted now - they are now able to confirm receipt of documents.

I only got my transcripts yesterday so ended up hand delivering them in Galway today. I’m from Louth so that was a pain in the arse but I didnt want to risk them not getting there. Better get a place this year after all of this hassle ah!!! Nervy wait now

I only got my transcripts yesterday so ended up hand delivering them in Galway today. I’m from Louth so that was a pain in the arse but I didnt want to risk them not getting there. Better get a place this year after all of this hassle ah!!! Nervy wait now

Jesus that is some trek. Totally worth it though.

I didn't know you could just walk up to the office and handover documents. That may come in handy should I need to submit an appeal.

I have a feeling we will all get emails next Friday about our eligibility. After that, it's all about the GAMSAT score. Fingers crossed.

Jesus that is some trek. Totally worth it though.

I didn't know you could just walk up to the office and handover documents. That may come in handy should I need to submit an appeal.

I have a feeling we will all get emails next Friday about our eligibility. After that, it's all about the GAMSAT score. Fingers crossed.

Yeh I know I was expecting it just to be a letter box but turns out you can full on walk into an office!! Learn something new everyday I guess lol

And yes hopefully get all the documents approved next week because safe to say I don’t want another round trip to Galway!

Here’s hoping the 1st of August comes soon and there’s no crazy point jumps!!!!

So where is everyone hopefully heading for? Anywhere is brilliant obviously but what's everyones first pick. I put UCD down as my no. 1 but it's looking unlikely. From memory I don't recall anyone here mentioning RCSI which I'm surprised by. It's my 3rd choice, I'm just surprised no one seems to have mentioned it.

• Advertisement

So where is everyone hopefully heading for? Anywhere is brilliant obviously but what's everyones first pick. I put UCD down as my no. 1 but it's looking unlikely. From memory I don't recall anyone here mentioning RCSI which I'm surprised by. It's my 3rd choice, I'm just surprised no one seems to have mentioned it.

My preferences are Ucd, rcsi, ucc and ul but to be fully honest I’m not that bothered about getting Dublin and I also probably don’t have the score to get it. I’m hoping for Ucc but will be happy to go to ul either!

Also anyone have any idea ratio of girls to guys in gem?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 coopersock

Just wondering why no one seems keen on RCSI? I assumed it would be the first choice for anyone wanting to do GEM, and at the very least first choice for those looking to stay in Dublin?

Also anyone have any idea ratio of girls to guys in gem?

UL GEM 1st year last year was majority girls. Probably 65/35, 60/40 if im putting a ball park on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Medico008

indiep wrote: »
    Hey yeah! Incoming 1st years have orientation week stating Monday the 2nd of September (Last year we didn't have anything on the Monday so you will likely be starting on the 3rd of September).

Y1 Classes start Sept 9th.

thank you, it looks like i may have time to submit my resignation letter in that case. I'm and RGN hoping to get into UL this year.

• Advertisement

Is anyone able to see their supporting documents on their CAO online application? They were up for me back in March or April then it went away and I remember it was up this time last year but it’s nowhere to be seen on my application now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭WorthlessPeon

What are the class sizes of each GEM year? Having trouble finding out that info for UL for example

Is anyone able to see their supporting documents on their CAO online application? They were up for me back in March or April then it went away and I remember it was up this time last year but it’s nowhere to be seen on my application now

They took them down for everyone. You have to call or email to see if they have all of your documents scanned. They told me that unis will not review them until the middle of next week so you have time to send any outstanding documents in.

coopersock wrote: »
    Just wondering why no one seems keen on RCSI? I assumed it would be the first choice for anyone wanting to do GEM, and at the very least first choice for those looking to stay in Dublin?

I can only speak for myself but I ranked RCSI last because Dublin is expensive and living near campus in St Stephen's Green would be prohibitive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

coopersock wrote: »

If you do a Boards search you will pick up a few opinions on RCSI

e.g. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057943289

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭jody24

i have lots of gamsat materials for sale. it includes des oneills books, gold standard book and lots more. if any one interested i am willing to sell it for really cheap price. otherwise if any one wants them i am willing to give them away for free as i dont want to have them while some body might need it and cant afford buying it.

What are the class sizes of each GEM year? Having trouble finding out that info for UL for example

UL = 144

but you are mostly split up into groups of 8/9 for PBL and clinical skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Rwalsh22

Just wondering if anyone has gotten an email from the CAO regarding academic eligibility? I know they are supposed to be emailing this week to indicate whether or not the supporting documents were suitable

Rwalsh22 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has gotten an email from the CAO regarding academic eligibility? I know they are supposed to be emailing this week to indicate whether or not the supporting documents were suitable

I haven’t heard anything! Reckon it’ll be tomorrow (hopefully)

I haven’t heard anything! Reckon it’ll be tomorrow (hopefully)

Just got an email from CAO showing that supporting documents were scanned, but no mention of eligibility.

Edit - Just got through on the phone. Eligibility emails will most likely be out on Monday.

• Advertisement

Oh great that’s great to know I was getting worried !
    Just got an email from CAO showing that supporting documents were scanned, but no mention of eligibility.

Edit - Just got through on the phone. Eligibility emails will most likely be out on Monday.

Got an email from cao! My documents were accepted buzz

Rwalsh22 wrote: »
    Oh great that’s great to know I was getting worried !

Literally just (5:14pm) got an email from them confirming eligibility, relief 🙂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37 Eartha Braveheart

ditto - emails out

Deemed ineligible because they aren't sure if i have only one degree due to a transfer credit situation. Sigh.

I also have a foreign (American) degree so they aren't sure if it is a 2H1.

I had already shown UCD and UL my transcripts and they said I was eligible over email.

So, I am now appealing.

Anyone have any advice?

Does anyone have a first year timetable for UCD? Or does anyone know how the hours are (at any of the colleges)? Has anyone found it possible to work part time while in med school?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 DANCER97

Hey Guys, this indecsision is killing me, what do you think chances are for UCD with a score of 61?

DANCER97 wrote: »
    Hey Guys, this indecsision is killing me, what do you think chances are for UCD with a score of 61?

You're having a laugh, right? Don't think the cut off for UCD has ever been that high, I don't even recall it ever being 60 never mind 62+. The cut off first round last year was 59* (and subsequently dropped to 58*) It is extremely unlikely to jump 3 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 DANCER97

I just hate this incessent waiting.

• Advertisement

DANCER97 wrote: »
    I just hate this incessent waiting.
    The time is really dragging, thank god only 10 days left

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Adreidphysio

What do you think of a score of 60 then? Much difference?
    You're having a laugh, right? Don't think the cut off for UCD has ever been that high, I don't even recall it ever being 60 never mind 62+. The cut off first round last year was 59* (and subsequently dropped to 58*) It is extremely unlikely to jump 3 points.

What do you think of a score of 60 then? Much difference?

Oh gosh I'm not an expert in the slightest. Just my opinion above but I reckon worst case scenario would be a 1 point jump. Could also drop, who knows. I looked at past years and there was one year where UCD and UCC both jumped by 2 points in round 0, but I think that was the year the GAMSAT changed its style of questioning so I guess people scored better overall. Also that was during the crash so a lot of people would have seen medicine as a good reliable career/couldn't get jobs in their own field. Now there's a "boom" again and people can find work a lot more easily, also medicine is not a desirable career for making tons and tons of money, people are more willing to follow careers which may be more risky stability wise but more financially rewarding; if I for example was to stay in my current field I could potentially earn 60k p/a in 2 or 3 years. Excluding over time if I was accepted to Medicine this year and never repeated a year, it wouldn't be until I reached SHO level till I could earn that sort of money-a minimum of 6 years away. Possibly more. I have no inclination how many people applied to grad med this year but there are more reasons to avoid it than in previous years; less people normally means less competition. Personally, I'm hoping for a drop in points :P

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭santino

Hi ya,

Last year when I applied I was almost rejected because of inadequate documentation. I sent transcripts instead of original copies. NUI Galway were very helpful to me by issuing my original copies as quick as possible once I found out there was an issue. I received the original copies just in time for my new deadline given to me by the CAO.
    Here is what they sent me last year.

"Dear Applicant,

This is an automated e-mail generated as a result of the e-mail address provided in your 2018 CAO application.

Thank you for your application to study Graduate Medicine. The institutions concerned have collectively reviewed your application and based on the documentation received as of July 15th 2018, you have been deemed ineligible to compete for the following reason:

- Inadequate documentation supplied (all candidates were required to submit original academic transcripts for all years of their first NFQ Level 8 primary degree, detailing final degree classification)

If you have a query with respect to what documentation is outstanding, you should contact one of the Admissions Offices to which you have applied.

If you wish to appeal this decision, you must do so by writing to CAO, outlining your appeal and presenting your outstanding supporting documents.

All documentation pertaining to your appeal must be received at CAO no later than Thursday July 26th, 2018 at 5.15 p.m. You should write 'Graduate Medicine Appeal' at the top of the envelope.

Please note that no appeals will be considered after July 26th, 5:15 p.m."

So I advise you to call the CAO tomorrow to confirm if your transcripts are adequate because they weren't for me. Hope this helps and good luck with your application.

Hi guys,

Major help would be appreciated here.

I got a similar email to the one above today.
    I've been onto CAO stating that I sent ORIGINAL transcripts on the 17th Feb last. These have my undergrad colleges stamp (in colour). I'm digging out my own copy shortly. I was extremely careful of this when applying, not wanting to end up in this situation.
    These are also available to view as scans on the CAO website.

CAO replied basically saying its out of their hands and to appeal. I have until Monday morning.

Now, the thing is they ONLY provided the UCD email address. UCD is my 4th choice and I have emailed them to ask their opinion and to see what info they received.
    I'm wondering does the UCD admissions office oversee the admissions for the whole country (unlikely) or is this just a UCD issue?

I have also emailed UL (my 1st choice) to see if they have any issue with my documentation. Going to ring them in the morning too.

Freaking out here guys.

PS. This isn't my first time applying. The info I sent last year is identical to the info I sent this year and that was accepted last year. Totally confused and frustrated.

Help if you can. What should I do???

Not sure if this is the email you contact for UL but use this one medicalschool@ul.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

indiep wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the email you contact for UL but use this one medicalschool@ul.ie

Just to tack on to this. I'd also send the same email to saa@ul.ie which is the point of contact for Student Academic Administration. They are fairly slow to reply and since you're time limited I'd contact them by telephone too on +353 61 233755

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭santino

Thanks for the contact details. Have emailed and will follow up by phone tomorrow.

Good luck! Hopefully you'll be ok :)

It seems eligibility cannot be confirmed until offers come out! The admissions offices will still inform you if the documentation in your appeal is sufficient if you ask -- just no final answers.

santino wrote: »
    Thanks for the contact details. Have emailed and will follow up by phone tomorrow.

How did you get on?

How did you get on?

Did you get yours sorted in the end?

• Advertisement
Advertisement