Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkrun..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Cabinteely is a tough old route!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Nevertheless the improved times and fitness etc isn't why I enjoy parkrun. It's really the people. It seems to attract "good-egg" types. Sound, positive, ego-free people that are a joy to spend time with each Saturday. And that's what keeps me returning.

I'd heartily recommend it to anyone.

I wouldn't keep volunteering if I didn't enjoy it. Plus there's a bit of slagging involved at this stage! But yes, in my experience, parkrun means as much to the first timers, new 5k graduates, tourists, tail walkers, parents just getting kids started with running and finally, those aged 70+ as it does in the 16-17 minute range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Enjoyable morning to mark Malahide's 6th birthday. 351 in attendance, and lots of goodies at the finish. Faster course than I remember? (although it's changed slightly since my last visit...)

Hi! Saw you there. Sorry I only half said 'hello' - was trying to decide whether or not to run after being out late at a party last night :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I wouldn't keep volunteering if I didn't enjoy it. Plus there's a bit of slagging involved at this stage! But yes, in my experience, parkrun means as much to the first timers, new 5k graduates, tourists, tail walkers, parents just getting kids started with running and finally, those aged 70+ as it does in the 16-17 minute range.

Volunteering is great and very rewarding, esp at the larger PR's.

Saint Anne's where I've volunteered is brilliant, you get so many 'Thank you volunteer' from so many runners and you can have the craic with the stragglers.

Smaller runs I prefer to time keep because the craic isn't out on the course like the bigger runs and it can get a little boring but still rewarding knowing that you've made someone's Parkrun a little easier, enjoyable and safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭crisco10

Seannew1 wrote: »
    Cabinteely is a tough old route!!

Great training session tho! Hope you enjoyed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Hi! Saw you there. Sorry I only half said 'hello' - was trying to decide whether or not to run after being out late at a party last night :eek:

:D No worries :) Seems like it was a fairly big thing for RS, well done on getting out! There's some nice photos of yourself and eoinín on the FB.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Graham1882

Killerz wrote:
    Hi G, I have the Baby Jogger. In fact will probably be looking to offload it soon as my 4 year olds are now doing junior parkrun - drop me a line via PM if interested.

Hi K,

Tried pm a few times but doesnt seem to be sending through. Can you pm and ill reply.

Thanks
    G

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I'm pacing a few to sub 20 in Shanganagh this Sat if any of you are close by and have that as a target.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    I'm pacing a few to sub 20 in Shanganagh this Sat if any of you are close by and have that as a target.

Super service
    Hopefully you get a few first time sub 20"'s!

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Could anyone tell me what Fairview parkrun is like, please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭EnPassant

Fairview is a 3-lap course, starting and finishing in the middle of the park. The course is a figure-of-eight shape, about 80%+ on tarmac with most of the rest on grass. There is a little hill towards the end of the lap - after running beside the river Tolka you run up a hill to the level of the railway tracks. After running beside the railway for a while, there is a gradual downhill through the start/finish line.

It's my home park run - I've run it lots of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭RunnerDub

It's my home Parkrun too. I also run St Annes & Poolbeg, I find it the toughest out of the 3, Just cannot get anywhere near my PBs on the other 2 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

It's a long shot but does anyone know somewhere I could get a shower in Galway City? Thinking of heading there to do Parkrun before Christmas?. Want to do a different Parkrun,17 completed,all in my home location....

Spirogyra wrote: »
    It's a long shot but does anyone know somewhere I could get a shower in Galway City? Thinking of heading there to do Parkrun before Christmas?. Want to do a different Parkrun,17 completed,all in my home location....

Leisure centre in Salthill

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

EnPassant wrote: »
    Fairview is a 3-lap course, starting and finishing in the middle of the park. The course is a figure-of-eight shape, about 80%+ on tarmac with most of the rest on grass. There is a little hill towards the end of the lap - after running beside the river Tolka you run up a hill to the level of the railway tracks. After running beside the railway for a while, there is a gradual downhill through the start/finish line.

It's my home park run - I've run it lots of times.

Is it ok to leave a bag there at the start line? I know it's at owners risk etc, but would there be volunteers just to keep an eye on bags?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

monkey9 wrote: »
    Is it ok to leave a bag there at the start line? I know it's at owners risk etc, but would there be volunteers just to keep an eye on bags?

There is, last time I was there they even had a big tarp thingy to cover them in case of rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Leisure centre in Salthill
    Anywhere in the city ? I'd probably be travelling by bus or train :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

monkey9 wrote: »

Did you visit? I was volunteering this morning. Had wanted to do my own session but they were calling out for volunteers so did the session after. The park looks wonderful.

52 parkrun to date and 39 volunteer as far as I know.

Spirogyra wrote: »
    Anywhere in the city ? I'd probably be travelling by bus or train :)

Are you doing Oranmore or Knocknacarra?
    If it's Knocknacarra the leisure centre is a couple of miles warm down away and then a few quid in taxi back to the city.

Oranmore you could try one of the hotels with leisure facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,110 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Did #14 this morning at Griffeen (again). The wife only started 3 weeks ago and she already has 4 done. What have I started? :eek::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

Did corkagh parkrun yesterday, really enjoyed it. It's a lovely route.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Heading to London next weekend, struggling to decide which one to do over there.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Heading to London next weekend, struggling to decide which one to do over there.
    Where are you staying and what sort of run do you like?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Mark Kirwan did Marlay in 15.13 yesterday, new all time course record.

Where are you staying and what sort of run do you like?

Staying near London City airport, so Victoria Dock & Becton are nearly on doorstep.

Not that fussy about course difficulty. Just my indecision.

Been browsing this blog & keep changing my mind.

http://www.geofftech.co.uk/parkrun/

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Mark Kirwan did Marlay in 15.13 yesterday, new all time course record.

Dewi Griffiths took a minute off the Llanelli Coast one in Wales yesterday in a time of 14:12.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Dewi Griffiths took a minute off the Llanelli Coast one in Wales yesterday in a time of 14:12.

I can't imagine what it even feels like to run that fast!.. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14 carlfleming

Staying near London City airport, so Victoria Dock & Becton are nearly on doorstep.

Been browsing this blog & keep changing my mind.

http://www.geofftech.co.uk/parkrun/

I ran at the nearby Mile End parkrun last month when I was over for the weekend. A lovely event with a short section along the Regent's canal. I'm sure any parkrun you'll pick near your accomodation will be a great experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Latest Darndale parkrun, 2 runners and 9 volunteers! Fair play to them for putting on a run every week, but it must be somewhat disheartening to have such low numbers

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Nuttzz wrote: »
    Latest Darndale parkrun, 2 runners and 9 volunteers! Fair play to them for putting on a run every week, but it must be somewhat disheartening to have such low numbers

God, that's heartbreaking! One a tourist too, so if they'd not turned up it'd have been just one person. Maybe we should arrange a mass visit there soon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement