Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkrun..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

robinph wrote: »
    Surely just because the dogs get bored otherwise or as part of their training in being in crowds and the handler wants some overtime.

:pac:
    maybe the overtime, or a day out for the dogs :pac:

I didn't see the dogs anywhere other than their check through the bag drop, so afaik they weren't in the crowds

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Another good one for the stats although it's largely UK based - is Elliott Line stats.
    http://www.elliottline.com/parkrun/

People have done 250 Different Events??
    Wow
    Some committment

• Registered Users Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Wow
    Some committment
    Oh my god in the UK some people are fanatical about parkrun!! Some get up in the middle of the night and drive for hours just to do a parkrun. But bear in mind parkrun has been on the go in the UK for 14 years.

Here's me delighted with myself that I'll hopefully have 10 different events done by the end of this year!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Oh my god in the UK some people are fanatical about parkrun!! Some get up in the middle of the night and drive for hours just to do a parkrun. But bear in mind parkrun has been on the go in the UK for 14 years.

Here's me delighted with myself that I'll hopefully have 10 different events done by the end of this year!

Here's me thinking of driving to the other side of the country for a chance to do a parkrun on Christmas!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

quickbeam wrote: »
    Here's me thinking of driving to the other side of the country for a chance to do a parkrun on Christmas!! :)
    If it's for Christmas then that's ok!! :D

• Advertisement

I don't know where you're based, but you probably won't have to go that far. This page will get a few more entries over the next few weeks

https://www.parkrun.ie/special-events/

RayCun wrote: »
    I don't know where you're based, but you probably won't have to go that far. This page will get a few more entries over the next few weeks

https://www.parkrun.ie/special-events/

I'm in Dublin. Ballincollig was looking like the closest one for a while and I was seriously considering it. I see Johnstown is now up so would probably go for that one instead as it now stands. I know Malahide was mentioned above, but I've done Malahide, so would like as a Christmas gift to myself to do a brand new course.

See, almost as mad as the yokes in the UK with their 250 separate parkruns :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I was planning to travel this weekend but one of our group is doing his 100th so I'm staying local.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

Wow
    Some committment
    So far in Ireland, 11 people have completed 250 parkruns - 9 men and 2 women - and I'm delighted to be one of those that have achieved that milestone - I'm not a good runner by any stretch of the imagination but at least I'm consistently not a good runner :-) my mantra is " Quantity has a quality all of its own"
    #loveparkrun

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

quickbeam wrote:
    I'm in Dublin. Ballincollig was looking like the closest one for a while and I was seriously considering it. I see Johnstown is now up so would probably go for that one instead as it now stands. I know Malahide was mentioned above, but I've done Malahide, so would like as a Christmas gift to myself to do a brand new course.

Just as a reminder, Johnstown is being held in Wexford racecourse.

More than welcome down for a recce before then too QB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Seannew1

I'm visiting someone in south Dublin on Saturday ; would people recommend Cabinteely or Marlay?? What are the courses like?? Thanks all!

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Just as a reminder, Johnstown is being held in Wexford racecourse.

More than welcome down for a recce before then too QB

Doubt I'll get down before Christmas. But maybe see you there on the day? You'll be the one wearing the Liverpool shirt, I guess? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭crisco10

Seannew1 wrote: »
    I'm visiting someone in south Dublin on Saturday ; would people recommend Cabinteely or Marlay?? What are the courses like?? Thanks all!

2 quite different options.

Marlay is a big field (~400/500), mostly single lap course with bit of a drag in first km and fourth. Mostly tar path, bar about 500m of decent forest path. Can be a bit busy in first 2 corners.

Cabo is a 2.5 lap course where you run up a lovely big hill 3 times. All tar path. Smaller field (~100) with the more friendly vibe that that allows.

A 3rd option if you want a bit of a time trial is shanganagh. Pancake flat, all tar path 2.5 lapper. Also a relatively small field.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

How do Parkruns work exactly? You register and then print out a barcode to bring to every race?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

monkey9 wrote: »
    How do Parkruns work exactly? You register and then print out a barcode to bring to every race?

Pretty much yeah. You present your barcode at the end of race to get scanned along with a finish token which you get handed at the finish line. That info gets fed to results processing and you see your result on the website.
    Each parkrun has a briefing for first timers shortly before each run where it's all explained.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Doubt I'll get down before Christmas. But maybe see you there on the day? You'll be the one wearing the Liverpool shirt, I guess? :)

Doubtful I'll be around on Christmas Day, will be back home with the folks.

You'll get a good welcome anyway.

The barcode is reusable. You aren't registering for a particular run, you are registering for parkrun. You use the same barcode for any parkrun, anywhere, any week. At the end of your run they will scan your barcode and give it back to you. (The finish token they keep)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

• Step 1: Register for Parkrun
    • Step 2: Arrive at your first Parkrun
    • Step 3: Congratulations! You have just completed your first Parkrun!
    • Step 4: Spend every subsequent Parkrun doing whatever is physically and humanly possible for you to set a new PB for yourself
    • Step 5: See Step 4

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Another good one for the stats although it's largely UK based - is Elliott Line stats.
    http://www.elliottline.com/parkrun/

Wow
    Some committment
    Will be doing my 249th this weekend, and 45% of them pushing a buggy.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

249th run??..... or 249th different event 😳😳

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Stupid not reading properly. Merely 249th run.

I am annoyingly on 48 different events at the moment though but to do more new events in the next couple of weeks would be too complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭opus

For anyone interested, this is what the upcoming Glen River parkrun in Cork will be like (give or take a few meters as think I started ~5m too soon).

coogy wrote: »
    • Step 1: Register for Parkrun
    • Step 2: Arrive at your first Parkrun
    • Step 3: Congratulations! You have just completed your first Parkrun!
    • Step 4: Spend every subsequent Parkrun doing whatever is physically and humanly possible for you to set a new PB for yourself
    • Step 5: See Step 4

Step's 6 & 7 from now on every Saturday will be known as 'Parkrun Day' & you'll bore your friends to death about your addiction to Parkrun

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Seannew1

crisco10 wrote: »
    2 quite different options.

Marlay is a big field (~400/500), mostly single lap course with bit of a drag in first km and fourth. Mostly tar path, bar about 500m of decent forest path. Can be a bit busy in first 2 corners.

Cabo is a 2.5 lap course where you run up a lovely big hill 3 times. All tar path. Smaller field (~100) with the more friendly vibe that that allows.

A 3rd option if you want a bit of a time trial is shanganagh. Pancake flat, all tar path 2.5 lapper. Also a relatively small field.

Thanks for that. I like the sounds of Cabinteely! Think you've clinched that for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Enjoyable morning to mark Malahide's 6th birthday. 351 in attendance, and lots of goodies at the finish. Faster course than I remember? (although it's changed slightly since my last visit...)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Marshalled this morning in Griffeen. Two women in the first 3. Nice enough morning for it.

Lesson learned today (for me) is to run your own run.

I was feeling great this morning, that feeling you have when you know there's a PB in you.

I wore a long sleeved top so I wasn't tempted to check my speed but instead hung onto someone who normally finished 2 mins or more ahead of me.

Gave it a sprint at the end, as you do and didn't get a PB (although I was 100% confident I had one before checking my time).. I asked my mate was he running slower, 'I'm dying, I was on the gargle at a party last night' ~ then laughed at me hanging onto him when he was struggling lol.

We had a laugh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Haha brilliant...

Great run in Orangefield (Belfast) this morning. An alternate course due to flooding but I actually liked it better even though it had 4 hill climbs rather than the usual 3.

Deliberately set out to run it at a comfortable pace and not race it, finished with a great time and an reasonably easy effort. 10k training is definitely paying off! My first run there (10 weeks ago) was slower and I was completely spent at the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Today was my parkrun anniversary. I ran my first parkrun on 11th November 2017.
    Now I'm coming up close to my 40th parkrun. My initial time was over 30 and a half minutes. My PB for the 5K has come down to 22.30 (sadly not at a parkrun). In the last 12 months in addition to parkruns I've ran a number of BHAA races of various distances, a couple of 10K races, a 10 miler and a half marathon. And lost a couple of stone. I've also got my 25 volunteer t-shirt and done most of the volunteer roles including RD a few times.

All of that might have come about without parkrun........but I doubt it.

Nevertheless the improved times and fitness etc isn't why I enjoy parkrun. It's really the people. It seems to attract "good-egg" types. Sound, positive, ego-free people that are a joy to spend time with each Saturday. And that's what keeps me returning.

I'd heartily recommend it to anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Great post DeepBlue, you should email that to parkrun Ireland.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement