Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mental Health and the Z list celebrities

Options
  • 28-08-2020 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭

I have noticed over the last couple of years that more and more z list celebrities are jumping in the mental health band wagon and I don't use that term in any way to take away from genuineental health cases. Every day there are more articles and social media posts from these people who really seem to just either want a bit of fame or else make a few quid. Do you believe it helps or belittle genuine mental health issues? I believe it's the latter

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,012 ✭✭✭✭event

Like Rorys Stories :|

Suffering from depression? Just got for a walk, that'll fix it.
    Then next video is about how drinking and getting blind drunk is great craic.
    Then next video is about how he hates his kids and wife
    Then a video about how its good to talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

event wrote: »
    Like Rorys Stories :|

Suffering from depression? Just got for a walk, that'll fix it.
    Then next video is about how drinking and getting blind drunk is great craic.
    Then next video is about how he hates his kids and wife
    Then a video about how its good to talk.

He's exactly one of the ones I had in mind. Bressie is another one who seems to be making a few quid out of it. There are many of them out there all over the world it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Mental health is the new back injury.

Some people do have issues, others love to exploit it for their own gain and know it can't be unproven.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,680 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Completely belittles as its a sure-fire way for narcissists to get attention and enough stupid people out there will believe their fake tale of woe.

Classic examples: Sinead O Connor- threatening to kill herself for years now, never quite managed it. Too many cameras around or magazine articles to feed her ego, so she spins a yarn about her latest "crisis" and conveniently tags on a plug for some gig at the end of it. She makes me sick.

Vogue Williams- claimed to have 10 panic attacks a day last year. Still turned up for every single envelope that needed opening, and did so in front of lots of people and speaks at length about her oh so fascinating life and views. You got over that anxiety fast eh Vogue? Again, though, enough idiots follow her and get hooked in to her con.

Its a crying shame these people get the oxygen of publicity when there are tonnes of people genuinely suffering out there.

Completely belittles as its a sure-fire way for narcissists to get attention and enough stupid people out there will believe their fake tale of woe.

Classic examples: Sinead O Connor- threatening to kill herself for years now, never quite managed it. Too many cameras around or magazine articles to feed her ego, so she spins a yarn about her latest "crisis" and conveniently tags on a plug for some gig at the end of it. She makes me sick.

Vogue Williams- claimed to have 10 panic attacks a day last year. Still turned up for every single envelope that needed opening, and did so in front of lots of people and speaks at length about her oh so fascinating life and views. You got over that anxiety fast eh Vogue? Again, though, enough idiots follow her and get hooked in to her con.

Its a crying shame these people get the oxygen of publicity when there are tonnes of people genuinely suffering out there.

And the ones genuinely suffering gain absolutely nothing from these attention seekers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Vogue was having panic attacks 10 times a day, each time she logged into instagram and saw she hadnt met her expectated number of likes :eek:

The lad who does the farmer Michael sketches seems to be at it wholesale too. He's an incredibly unfunny person but my Jesus does he lay it on thick when it comes to his mental health issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Vogue was having panic attacks 10 times a day, each time she logged into instagram and saw she hadnt met her expectated number of likes :eek:

She is one vapid, vacuous, dimwit.

The lad who does the farmer Michael sketches seems to be at it wholesale too. He's an incredibly unfunny person but my Jesus does he lay it on thick when it comes to his mental health issues.

Shuree its all about mindfulnesss Kathleen !

Shuree its all about mindfulnesss Kathleen !

It's no wonder she fecked off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

She is one vapid, vacuous, dimwit.

I very much doubt she is a dimwit. I'd say she is clever enough, and is going for a certain target audience.

She is a fit bird, very shagable.

It's no wonder she fecked off.

Oh right is that the next tall tale for drama and likes :rolleyes:

Spose might attract a few thousand more followers if you can work some angle there on the relationship if running low on ideas:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭TheDavester

it sounds like they use it to prolong/kick off their "career" (kinda like Geldof/blindboy) or use it as a distraction from sh!tty behaviour...

it sounds like they use it to prolong/kick off their "career" (kinda like Geldof/blindboy) or use it as a distraction from sh!tty behaviour...

I think it's a bit of both for most of them. The problem is that their audiences seem to believe their bull**** so every time one of their fans is feeling a little down it's attributed to mental health issues. Really dilutes the genuine cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Dunno about Vogue, but I'd say Sinead is a genuine case, she's obviously not well,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

I actually know farmer Michael and he's a sound person really. The sketches were fairly annoying alright but I wouldn't be lumping him in with the others mentioned.

He was in an accident years ago and required a wheelchair for a long time until he regained a lot of his mobility.

It's sad that his partner left him, they were a lovely couple, but it seems the relationship just ran its course. I feel sorry that it had to happen with so many judgemental begrudgers eagerly looking on.

s1ippy wrote: »
    I actually know farmer Michael and he's a sound person really. The sketches were fairly annoying alright but I wouldn't be lumping him in with the others mentioned.

He was in an accident years ago and required a wheelchair for a long time until he regained a lot of his mobility.

It's sad that his partner left him, they were a lovely couple, but it seems the relationship just ran its course. I feel sorry that it had to happen with so many judgemental begrudgers eagerly looking on.

He put an awful lot of his private life up on social media and received a huge amount of negativity for it. A lot of it was seeking the attention they needed to make a living and ultimately it turned sour for him. If you choose to live a life funded by social media, these are the risks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Dunno about Vogue, but I'd say Sinead is a genuine case, she's obviously not well,

She's got official bi polar and that's a terrible thing to say that poster said, oh she never got around to killing herself. I mean seriously like.

I think it's a bit of both for most of them. The problem is that their audiences seem to believe their bull**** so every time one of their fans is feeling a little down it's attributed to mental health issues. Really dilutes the genuine cases.

The 2 examples which bugged me was - that Bressie was charging schools {heard 1grand some say 5grand} to do speeches on mental health - id have a lot more respect for him, if did not charge ...but who does Bressie appeal to - a d list singer and a short lived Leinster player
    And then you had Vouge williams "documentary" where rte kept playing the ad where she said she was feeling down as she didnt get enough likes for a insta post...

The 2 examples which bugged me was - that Bressie was charging schools {heard 1grand some say 5grand} to do speeches on mental health - id have a lot more respect for him, if did no charge for them...but who does Bressie appeal to - a d list singer and a short lived Leinster player
    And then you had Vouge williams "documentary" where rte kept playing the ad where she said she was feeling down as she didnt get enough likes for a insta post...

In fairness Bressie did a degree and has a masters in his field afaik ( i assume that took 4 or 5 years to achieve) so he has put the work in and seems to be passionate about it.
    Hmmm I dont know about him charging schools but surely he should be allowed to charge for his time and hard earned knowledge?:confused: How is he supposed to pay his mortgage and expenses and possible college loan back.

• Advertisement

He put an awful lot of his private life up on social media and received a huge amount of negativity for it. A lot of it was seeking the attention they needed to make a living and ultimately it turned sour for him. If you choose to live a life funded by social media, these are the risks.

LOL what turned sour / negative for him? He has more subscribers to his youtube nearly 290,000 subs (up from 250,000 just a few weeks ago) and more subs on instagram then ever, hes flying. Am I missing something:confused:
    he couldnt be more popular at the moment

In fairness Bressie did a degree and has a masters in his field afaik ( i assume that took 4 or 5 years to achieve) so he has put the work in and seems to be passionate about it.
    Hmmm I dont know about him charging schools but surely he should be allowed to charge for his time and hard earned knowledge?:confused: How is he supposed to pay his mortgage and expenses and possible college loan back.

from a quick look on google, he dropped out from a commerce degree, ....i think the price of a grand/5 grand is a bit cheeky, on schools who wouldn't be able to afford it..comes off as he wants to profit on it by jumping on the bandwagon of the day

edit - he did graduate from a masters recently

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

It might be great to bash a few Z listers, but the fact is that you never know what is going on in someone's mind, it is not possible to know for starters.

Mental Health is a real thing, if you break your leg it goes in plaster, if you break your mind it needs care too.

Just because someone has ambition and is a minor celebrity it does not mean that person is a bad person or is crying wolf over mental health. It probably happens, but I would always give the benefit of the doubt, you just could not possibly know or understand otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,680 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

She's got official bi polar and that's a terrible thing to say that poster said, oh she never got around to killing herself. I mean seriously like.

Why would she kill herself when there are cameras around and interviews to do. She would miss all that, and she knows it.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    It might be great to bash a few Z listers, but the fact is that you never know what is going on in someone's mind, it is not possible to know for starters.

Mental Health is a real thing, if you break your leg it goes in plaster, if you break your mind it needs care too.

Just because someone has ambition and is a minor celebrity it does not mean that person is a bad person or is crying wolf over mental health. It probably happens, but I would always give the benefit of the doubt, you just could not possibly know or understand otherwise.

I don't think it's great to bash z listers. I also don't think it's great that z listers use the current mental health awareness campaigns in Ireland to promote themselves or try to make a few big out of it. That's all

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

He's exactly one of the ones I had in mind. Bressie is another one who seems to be making a few quid out of it. There are many of them out there all over the world it seems.

I’m still shocked Bressie hasn’t jumped on the “I thought I had COVID” bandwagon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I don't think it's great to bash z listers. I also don't think it's great that z listers use the current mental health awareness campaigns in Ireland to promote themselves or try to make a few big out of it. That's all

I think anyone who uses any health issue as a crutch to popularity gets a slight crooked look from me. But they all get the benefit of the doubt, particularly if they have mental problems.

Cards on the table here, I would probably hate Bressie anyway, he annoys the phuck out of me and he has no talent. But if he has a mental health issue I would probably give him a hug ( just in case he really has one ) .

razorblunt wrote: »
    I’m still shocked Bressie hasn’t jumped on the “I thought I had COVID” bandwagon.

Has he not? He missed a few bob with that one.

Two problems;

1). Poor mental health is pandemic. People's genuine issues are often dismissed and they're told inane things like "Suck it up.".

2). Mental health professionals often struggle to understand it, much less yahoos like you and I.

Social media isn't helping, especially among adolescents. The longing for likes, retweets, thanks, etc is having a detrimental impact on their mental health. It's an issue that should have been addressed long ago with the urgency of Covid-19.

As for Sinead O'Connor, it was her time out of the limelight that has helped her. There is absolutely no question that she has had ongoing mental health issues. The fact that she (thankfully) hasn't killed her is no indication of spoofing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,754 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Good we have ah on boards to decide who is allowed have mental health issues and when.

Advertisement