Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mental Health and the Z list celebrities

Options

Comments

She's got official bi polar and that's a terrible thing to say that poster said, oh she never got around to killing herself. I mean seriously like.

It was a dreadful comment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

I'm sceptical about z list celebs spouting off about their addiction and mental health issues.

Supposedly it's frowned upon by treatment centres and professional to go around breaking your own and others anonymity.

Russell Brand is the most dry drunk/addict I've ever observed.
    He's off his chuck, listening to him he sounds like he's high on barbiturates and hasn't the ability to sit still or listen to anyone.
    Constantly finishing people's sentences for them and it's his way or the high way.

The wanker even tried to rewrite the 12 steps of recovery and the 12 steps are all about deflating the ego and that prick decided to rub them out and make up his own version, talk about a contradiction.

What a stupid prick along with the other ***** making a selfish living on people's vulnerability and mental health.

People like him should be ignored and left on the scrap heap, an absolute discrace to people trying to get well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I do think that you need a slightly bigger neck for online abuse however. I mean if you cannot deal with keyboard warriors you need to check yourself. At some point you need to recognise it for what it is.

Thing is career celebs rely heavy on social media for exposure, it is critical to their success and livelihoods. If they want to achieve better mental health they need to comprehend that and focus on getting fed up dealing with negative feedback. That includes you Jason Byrne. You cannot blame online criticism on you being an unfunny comedian, (only messing I think you're gas).

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I do think that you need a slightly bigger neck for online abuse however. I mean if you cannot deal with keyboard warriors you need to check yourself. At some point you need to recognise it for what it is.

Thing is career celebs rely heavy on social media for exposure, it is critical to their success and livelihoods. If they want to achieve better mental health they need to comprehend that and focus on getting fed up dealing with negative feedback. That includes you Jason Byrne. You cannot blame online criticism on you being an unfunny comedian, (only messing I think you're gas).

Absolutely true about having a strong neck.

Imagine getting offended by word's on a screen which are others opinions and they're not actually directing the members of board's, it would make moderation much easier if people had a harder stick.

I don't condone anyone suggesting I or someone else hurt someone or said something to get someone into trouble and my statement is false.
    Or taking someone's character without any proof.
    That's a no no.
    Or slander without proof.

But cnuts getting offended and mods going over the top because of a comment is absolutely ridiculous.

There's one moderator on The Atheism and Agnoticism forum and she absolutely despises me, and she'd use any reason at all to get the moderators to ban me.
    She's what I'd described as a super social justice warrior.

She actually has a watch list of people who she deems to be problematic, and I just think for a moderator that's absolutely off the wall sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,928 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I used to not like Russell Brand but his videos are really good now and his podcast. Intelligent bloke who seems to really try to keep his sh*t together and just wants to help others do the same. He doesn't really need the money or attention he gets that already so I think he's genuinely just trying to be a good person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,405 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

event wrote: »
    Like Rorys Stories :|

Suffering from depression? Just got for a walk, that'll fix it.
    Then next video is about how drinking and getting blind drunk is great craic.
    Then next video is about how he hates his kids and wife
    Then a video about how its good to talk.

I’ve noticed that too

It’s got to the stage where There’ll be an intervention of some sort

Russel brand.

Waste of space. Always was, always will be.

razorblunt wrote: »
    I’m still shocked Bressie hasn’t jumped on the “I thought I had COVID” bandwagon.

“I had covid then I recovered then I got it again” might be his angle

I used to not like Russell Brand but his videos are really good now and his podcast. Intelligent bloke who seems to really try to keep his sh*t together and just wants to help others do the same. He doesn't really need the money or attention he gets that already so I think he's genuinely just trying to be a good person.

Exactly he's trying to be a good person, I bumped into him once with a mutual friend at a gathering/ gig and he just couldn't listen in the conversation.
    He was engaging with us, but kept finishing our sentences and trying to explain to us what we're taking about.

It was hard work I'll tell you, we both walked away saying wtf was that all about.
    He's absolutely off the wall, means well but christ on a bike he's mind is like a spaghetti junction :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

If you are taking life advice from that lad, something is very wrong.

• Advertisement

nthclare wrote: »
    Exactly he's trying to be a good person, I bumped into him once with a mutual friend at a gathering/ gig and he just couldn't listen in the conversation.
    He was engaging with us, but kept finishing our sentences and trying to explain to us what we're taking about.

It was hard work I'll tell you, we both walked away saying wtf was that all about.
    He's absolutely off the wall, means well but christ on a bike he's mind is like a spaghetti junction :D

When was this? My brother met him in about 2000 at an MTV dance thing and said he was completely off his tits. I think he's a totally different man now though.

When was this? My brother met him in about 2000 at an MTV dance thing and said he was completely off his tits. I think he's a totally different man now though.

Around 3 year's ago.
    There's no badness in him, but he's just very intense and his ideas about alcohol drug recovery and mental health are off the charts.

I wouldn't suggest anyone listen to him or take his advice.

He has no qualifications or merits in dealing with depression and recovery.
    He's leading people down the wrong track.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I’ve noticed that too

It’s got to the stage where There’ll be an intervention of some sort

Shoe in the hole is all the intervention that lad needs.

Around 3 year's ago.
    There's no badness in him, but he's just very intense and his ideas about alcohol drug recovery and mental health are off the charts.

I wouldn't suggest anyone listen to him or take his advice.

He has no qualifications or merits in dealing with depression and recovery.
    He's leading people down the wrong track.

I respectfully disagree. I think his videos on spirituality and meditation and looking after yourself are really good. But I guess I'm into all that stuff, like Eckhart Tolle he had on recently and that was just brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I think it's better that we don't discuss anything to do with mental health. Better for people to bottle up entirely and consider themselves as abnormal and not like others. That way they can get it all over and done with.

Am I winning the after Hours thread ? Bonus points for saying z listers.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

I'm going to play devil's advocate here. Yes he does sketches about drinking and so called having the craic. He does videos about how the missus and kids wreck his head. They're sketches. If you don't like them scroll past them. They're not meant to be taken seriously. He may be reaching an audience that wouldn't seek help so what's wrong with that? Who here knows him personally? Who here knows what has gone on in his head? Don't be quick to judge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Hardly devils advocate there kitty, you’ve nearly taken the head off his shoulders.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The ironic thing is that so many of these people take to the sphere of social media to reveal their mental health issues. Maybe if their life didn't revolve around being famous, and where having x amount of followers on whatever platform = success, then maybe they wouldn't have as many issues.

A celebrity complaining about the stress of being famous via social media is strange. It'd be like a far person whinging about the dangers of junk food while waiting in line in McDonalds for the second time that day. Maybe stay away from an environment likely to excaberate the problem.

I respectfully disagree. I think his videos on spirituality and meditation and looking after yourself are really good. But I guess I'm into all that stuff, like Eckhart Tolle he had on recently and that was just brilliant.

I'm into mindfulness myself and I totally respect your judgements and if he helps you then I think whatever gets you thinking on a positive note is good for you.

I'm more of a pagan myself and embrace the land, bird's, river's and the weather.

I used to really enjoy Eckhart Tolle Deepak Chopra, Louise L Hay and a lot more new age spiritual teachers, I read a lot of books and studied theology, philosophy and the mystic's.

At the end of the day, I got obsessed with the journey and I came to the conclusion that there's no race or prize at the end.
    Its all about having peace of mind and self acceptance and awareness.

I wish you well on your journey of learning about yourself and a peaceful journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

The 2 examples which bugged me was - that Bressie was charging schools {heard 1grand some say 5grand} to do speeches on mental health - id have a lot more respect for him, if did not charge ...but who does Bressie appeal to - a d list singer and a short lived Leinster player
    And then you had Vouge williams "documentary" where rte kept playing the ad where she said she was feeling down as she didnt get enough likes for a insta post...

When he started out in his 20s women in their 30s were losing their sh1t :) selling out gigs because of it.... can you name a song ? Noooo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

If Sinéad O Connor was sane she would have disappeared off the radar decades ago.

Niall "Brezzy" Breslin was in a band with mild local success and snuck its way onto a few undercards of big concerts. He would have faded off to playing small venues and eventually broke up never to be heard again.

The Rubberbandits did a few sketches and had a 1 hit wonder.

All of them owe their success (if you call it that) or present notoriety due to mental health issues.

People from the entertainment industry crave attention. I don't say that as a bad thing, it is part of what can make you known artist. Notice me, look what I have done, judge it. That's the industry. When the attention is gone, they need to find something else. It is an addiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,099 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

In fairness Bressie did a degree and has a masters in his field afaik ( i assume that took 4 or 5 years to achieve) so he has put the work in and seems to be passionate about it.
    Hmmm I dont know about him charging schools but surely he should be allowed to charge for his time and hard earned knowledge?:confused: How is he supposed to pay his mortgage and expenses and possible college loan back.
    Yea I was wondering how long it would take for Bessie's name to crop up.
    I'd say to anyone who questions him to read his book.
    He genuinely did suffer from crippling anxiety and his book is a very honest account of that, warts and all.

To thine own self be true

If Sinéad O Connor was sane she would have disappeared off the radar decades ago.

Niall "Brezzy" Breslin was in a band with mild local success and snuck its way onto a few undercards of big concerts. He would have faded off to playing small venues and eventually broke up never to be heard again.

The Rubberbandits did a few sketches and had a 1 hit wonder.

All of them owe their success (if you call it that) or present notoriety due to mental health issues.

People from the entertainment industry crave attention. I don't say that as a bad thing, it is part of what can make you known artist. Notice me, look what I have done, judge it. That's the industry. When the attention is gone, they need to find something else. It is an addiction.

You wouldn't be surprised at the amount of celebs both z list and a list who've graced the doors of treatment centres for addiction and mental health issues.

The ones who stay clean andsober are usually the A list celebs who are still out there and making music. Unfortunately a lot have failed too.
    27 is the magic number.
    I was 27 when I kicked the habit of drug's and alcohol,in 2003 I'm no celeb or famous person.
    But I've had coffes and went to party's where there was sober superstars, they're just like anyone else, hate the limelight and live frugally.
    Drive clapped our range rovers and mercs.

Even got a snog off a super model, my claim to fame lol

Unfortunately the z list fraternity are too egotistical and find it hard to adapt to failure.

The A list celebs are A list for a reason.
    They've real raw talent and are passionate about getting well, so they have the ability to pick themselves up, make amends and get back to their art.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,023 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Mental Health is at a major downfall with the current stuff going on and the answer from doctors is Medication which does not work for some people. A lot of people (including me) are on the Autistic spectrum but simply cant afford the services to give a diagnosis, the public health system here dont give a toss and just as i said 'prescribe this and that and come back to them in xx weeks'
    Anyway a lot of these celebs are trying to do good but we dont have the bank balances they have and attention. Pretty girl says shes depressed and the social media is all over it

A lot of these pretty humans seem to marry/date into €€€€, Wags the worst culprits

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Mental Health is at a major downfall with the current stuff going on and the answer from doctors is Medication which does not work for some people. A lot of people (including me) are on the Autistic spectrum but simply cant afford the services to give a diagnosis, the public health system here dont give a toss and just as i said 'prescribe this and that and come back to them in xx weeks'
    Anyway a lot of these celebs are trying to do good but we dont have the bank balances they have and attention. Pretty girl says shes depressed and the social media is all over it

A lot of these pretty humans seem to marry/date into €€€€, Wags the worst culprits

I find having a handful of friends maybe 2 best friends and living in a rural area the best way to stay content.
    Living alone is good too,it gives plenty of space.
    And if you've an understanding partner who has her own place and not a wag attention seeker or needy is a bonus.

Have a job that pays the bills keeps food in the fridge and a few healthy hobbies a good remedy also.

A support group can help too

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

listermint wrote: »
    I think it's better that we don't discuss anything to do with mental health. Better for people to bottle up entirely and consider themselves as abnormal and not like others. That way they can get it all over and done with.

I don't think that anyone here is saying that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Even got a snog off a super model, my claim to fame lol

How'd you manage that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

I don't get how athletic /sports players have depression, experts say the best way to beat depression is to exercise. Professionals athletes would be exercising daily yet they're still depressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,023 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I find having a handful of friends maybe 2 best friends and living in a rural area the best way to stay content.
    Living alone is good too,it gives plenty of space.
    And if you've an understanding partner who has her own place and not a wag attention seeker or needy is a bonus.

Have a job that pays the bills keeps food in the fridge and a few healthy hobbies a good remedy also.

A support group can help too

As a single guy in his 30s it looks so daunting esp with something i love in going to gigs/matches has been taken away.

Ill try and keep my head up but for how long i dont knw.

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »
    As a single guy in his 30s it looks so daunting esp with something i love in going to gigs/matches has been taken away.

Ill try and keep my head up but for how long i dont knw.

I still go to gigs and music festivals with a few women and lads who are clean and sober 20 year's plus.

I'm not sporty but I go to the odd Clare games.

If you're really feeling down go to the GP and some therapy is worth it.

Advertisement