Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mental Health and the Z list celebrities

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I don't get how athletic /sports players have depression, experts say the best way to beat depression is to exercise. Professionals athletes would be exercising daily yet they're still depressed.

It's generally an industry where you are being constantly analysed and you know your career lifespan is short so every set back is huge. Injuries play a big part too. You get injured, nó excercise for a while.

Cricket has a huge issue with mental health, especially batsmen. It's probably the most individual of team sports there is. There is absolutely nowhere to hide when you fail. Your score is your score. And batsmen, even the best, fail more often than they succeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

There were no mental illness in mah day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I don't get how athletic /sports players have depression, experts say the best way to beat depression is to exercise. Professionals athletes would be exercising daily yet they're still depressed.

You could be the most successful athlete in the world and still have depression.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Vogue Williams-

She particularly annoys me. I don't want to say she is 'fake' etc. But she turns the whole mental health issue into ..'me me me'...and not the issue.

If you want to bring awareness talk about mental health not YOUR mental health.

SOme of the things she says are ....unbelievable....like she never knew there was a link between OCD and anxiety. Well if you have ocd you pretty much feel anxious all the time and simply searching google should tell you there is.

I remember she did a show about ocd ....and she meets this girl who won't leave the house without being prepared for everything ..that means a sick bag ..a resuscitation kit in case someone with her collapses

Vogue then says ..'I have make up in my bag enough for 50 people'...

She goes to a ocd yoga class for people in that show for people with intrusive thoughts ....and there was nothing said about what that is she didn't seem to know what it was.

The show seems to imply yoga alleviates intrusive thoughts ...which is bs. It uses takes meds. For a while anyway...The two main treatments for OCD are psychotherapy and medications. But on her show she was acting like yoga would do it.

That form of OCD is a REALLY severe condition.

Also there is a connection between OCD and other neurological disorders such as epilepsy.

I have ocd when i get stressed ..i have also had the odd seizure and its refractory. When I told my psychiatrist he said it was very much linked to my ocd. And that the seizure activity in my brain triggered the ocd and intrusive thoughts. He said if the seizure activity calmed down (not all activity results in an actual seizure) the ocd prob would too.

So MY ocd is partic scary ..if it comes ...it likely means my brain is having seizure activity ....and its possible i will have one. :( And it terrifies me.

Rant over.

And everyone thinks i fake the ocd ....or that i make up the link between ocd and seizures....and they don't realize why i have to keep myself calm.

12509279_10156529795390195_2258424523499555404_n.png?_nc_cat=106&_nc_sid=9267fe&_nc_ohc=lja4dkWc9tEAX-oLs3X&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=0160514f5880543dffa221858d044ebe&oe=5F6D964E

• Advertisement

ok that scared me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

All scenarios are different and even the most seemingly successful people have their demons. There is no secret recipe for mental damage, it happens to some and maybe not others.

Many people go through serious complications in life and do not get scarred or suffer emotionally. It is a mixed bag.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    All scenarios are different and even the most seemingly successful people have their demons. There is no secret recipe for mental damage, it happens to some and maybe not others.

Many people go through serious complications in life and do not get scarred or suffer emotionally. It is a mixed bag.
    Im not saying successful people don't have demons. But they have a lot of tools to help them that others don't. They can afford private doctors ...better hospitals. They have way more support. Their illness is less of a burden. And lets face it ..successful people have nicer lives.

If people use their illness to make people feel sorry for them ..that is manipulative and it usually works in reverse.

People in my life don't know i have ocd ..they only know if i have a seizure if i had to go to hospital for a day or so and i missing in action so to speak ( i rarely have seizures though).

I am not saying keep it a secret.

Also often ..they have milder cases. And any content ends up being about them ..not the general illness ..and it makes it worse because people end up being even more misinformed about mental illness than they were to begin with.

I don't doubt famous people have serious ups and downs in life. I am not sur the general public is the best place to ask for help though. How can we help them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

What happened the Farmer Michael fella?

What?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

If Sinéad O Connor was sane she would have disappeared off the radar decades ago.
    Sinead is one of the most talented artists that Ireland has ever produced. She has real and longstanding mental health issues.

Putting her in the same category as Vogue Williams in regard to her talent or her mental health issues is way off the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,697 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Phoebas wrote: »
    Sinead is one of the most talented artists that Ireland has ever produced. She has real and longstanding mental health issues.

Putting her in the same category as Vogue Williams in regard to her talent or her mental health issues is way off the mark.

Ah here, what talent beyond her one Nothing Compares to you song? Name another song that shes famous for exactly? She learned early in her life if she parades a load of mental health issues in front of the camera she gets what she wants, and thats attention. Ever notice her mental health evolves with the issues of the day? How convenient, child abuse in the church and she rips up a pic of the pope. The MeToo scandal and she brands the initials of an abusive producer on her forehead. Islamic State taking over headlines so she becomes a Muslim. Whatever keeps her front and centre.

Most people with mental health issues would be mortified sharing their experiences in front of the camera. Not Sinead though, she has one eye on her medication and another, very keen eye, on her profile and social media likes. She loves the camera and the only reason she got all the airtime she did in the 90s was because Gay Byrne had a real gra for her and loved giving her attention, something thankfully Pat Kenny and Ryan Tubridy put a stop to...

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Ah here, what talent beyond her one Nothing Compares to you song? Name another song that shes famous for exactly? She learned early in her life if she parades a load of mental health issues in front of the camera she gets what she wants, and thats attention. Ever notice her mental health evolves with the issues of the day? How convenient, child abuse in the church and she rips up a pic of the pope. The MeToo scandal and she brands the initials of an abusive producer on her forehead. Islamic State taking over headlines so she becomes a Muslim. Whatever keeps her front and centre.

Most people with mental health issues would be mortified sharing their experiences in front of the camera. Not Sinead though, she has one eye on her medication and another, very keen eye, on her profile and social media likes. She loves the camera and the only reason she got all the airtime she did in the 90s was because Gay Byrne had a real gra for her and loved giving her attention, something thankfully Pat Kenny and Ryan Tubridy put a stop to...

Just checked for her on instagram she only made 1 post and that was in 2016 :p

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Munstergirl854

Mary Coughlan.

Sober for 26 years and fair play to her but still relaying the stories of when she drank.

She was in the news recently as she spoke about taking coke and how when she didn't have money,"she paid in other ways" for it.

You'd wonder in some weird way do they miss the addiction and what their life was like back then to keep talking about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

They could be depressed because they have to exercise daily.

Vogue was having panic attacks 10 times a day, each time she logged into instagram and saw she hadnt met her expectated number of likes :eek:

None of us actually know what another person holds inside. We can make assumptions all we like but we don't know.

While I'm not a fan of the way "mental health" is bandied about these days as a kind of, I dunno, excuse or way to make money, gain a following etc. I'd be slow to belittle a person's experiences.

Exercise can certainly help but it's by no means a magic bullet. It's incredibly difficult to find the motivation to go for a walk when you're glued to the bed facing down a black tunnel.

No offense but that’s a mad take

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Sinead O'Connor is an artist, she has produced several albums. Yes she got a lot of help from the media and industry but if you go no1 that will happen. She is an independent person and she is certainly not straight forward. She is different league to any modern name Zlister who gets fame via social media. She probably is into herself ( most extroverts are ), but that is not a crime. She has a great singing voice and that you cannot take away from her, you certainly can't listen to it on Instagram.

She is a real celebrity. No one knows who Bressie, Vogue or Una Healy are. Eskimos in Alaska have Mandinka on cassette, believe. I danced to it on a dancefloor in Istanbul once, she was the DJ's favourite artist.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭1990sman

thinly veiled turkish brag

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭TheDavester

None of us actually know what another person holds inside. We can make assumptions all we like but we don't know.

While I'm not a fan of the way "mental health" is bandied about these days as a kind of, I dunno, excuse or way to make money, gain a following etc. I'd be slow to belittle a person's experiences.

she comes of as so disingenuous about it and feels like she's doing it to stay relevant/get her mug everywhere so she "sticks" as she's hopped from venture to venture with little/no success from model, to influencer to Brian McFaddens wag to dj, to author to then a documentary "maker" and now a reality "star"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

In order to be a true z lister you need questionable talent and be dropping with narcissism.

Advertisement