Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Incident at Roscommon hotel (asylum seekers)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Wibbs wrote: »
    Have RTE even reported this? I haven't seen it on their website, but to be fair I might have missed it.
    Jebus Wibbs, if it's an impartial report you are looking for, you definitely won't find it anywhere at RTE.

Oh dear oh dear, this is not a good look for the Soc-Dems. There is some kind of argument or split going on over Ellie.

https://twitter.com/marktigheST/status/1099419447314575362

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Oh dear oh dear, this is not a good look for the Soc-Dems. There is some kind of argument or split going on over Ellie.

https://twitter.com/marktigheST/status/1099419447314575362

Yerman Mark Tighe has them in knots after doing some rudimentary investigative journalism. Kiyombe was on Matt Cooper tripping over herself with inaccuracies. Honestly don't think she's fit for office, and for the record, I have no difficulty with an asylum applicant running for local government, provided their story isn't more full of holes than Swiss cheese.

Soc Dems had the potential to be a potent force in Irish politics, and their two TDs are of high quality (and Donnelly before he jumped ship). Unfortunately, the majority of their footsoldiers are firmly from the clownshoes new left. How they can back her after she blatantly peddled falsehoods about her case is beyond me. Integrity deficit alert.

The party could crumble from this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

I hope they do crumble and the Irish Times along with them.

The paper of record describing falsehoods as contradictions, its a total rag now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

What a joke. This will rip them apart and over what?
    Good riddance to pure and simple eejits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Ill be honest, i had allot of respect for the Social Democrats mainly because of Catherine Murphy and all the good work she did in the dail ousting DOB ect.

In a time where it should be very easy for a new party to break into the scene on the back off good honest politics, their attempt to cover up the truth and see no evil because of the participants skin color is galling.

Any Irish voter looking at them now will have to really think about backing them, as when you put identity politics ahead of your own integrity and lets face it national interest can you really be trusted by the people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Calhoun wrote: »
    Ill be honest, i had allot of respect for the Social Democrats mainly because of Catherine Murphy and all the good work she did in the dail ousting DOB ect.

In a time where it should be very easy for a new party to break into the scene on the back off good honest politics, their attempt to cover up the truth and see no evil because of the participants skin color is galling.

Any Irish voter looking at them now will have to really think about backing them, as when you put identity politics ahead of your own integrity and lets face it national interest can you really be trusted by the people?

The social Democrats were only a half way house for disaffected and disillusioned Labour Party voters, they will eventually be absorbed back into labour

Wooly politics for middle class left wingers, they got incredibly soft treatment by the media which is to be expected and shorthall ( insufferable waffler) is never off radio and tv panels but have made no gains worthwhile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Murphy, Shortall and the top actually want a review of Kisyombe's stories before they are able to back her. It's the local branch opposing it, and two executives resigned over it.

strandroad wrote: »
    Murphy, Shortall and the top actually want a review of Kisyombe's stories before they are able to back her. It's the local branch opposing it, and two executives resigned over it.

All that shows is they have no control over their party or feel they have been forced into a position by the press.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 746 ✭✭✭GinAndBitter

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Gemma O'Doherty during last week put forward the idea that the arson attacks on the hotel were a False Flag operation by the government...so is this a False Flag burning of a false flag?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

humberklog wrote: »
    Gemma O'Doherty during last week put forward the idea that the arson attacks on the hotel were a False Flag operation by the government...so is this a False Flag burning of a false flag?

Christ that bitch just gets crazier and crazier.

I don't know, it reminds me of the carry on during the abortion referendum. The hardore on both sides have no tolerance for different opinions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

All that shows is they have no control over their party or feel they have been forced into a position by the press.

They're torn between doing what is right and what appears to be right.

Quite a quandary they've worked themselves into with what they thought was a sure fire "enlightened" choice

Blazer wrote: »

I'm convinced she's not well, I don't know why people on social media keep giving her publicity.

She's best ignored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Quite ironic given that those banners are there in response to what fits the description of a terrorist attack by whomever decided to burn the place down. Twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Blazer wrote: »

I think shes brilliant. Shes not **** scared of the pcbrigade snowflakes.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Quite ironic given that those banners are there in response to what fits the description of a terrorist attack by whomever decided to burn the place down. Twice.

Antifa are a terrorist organisation, led in Ireland by paedophile Pat Corcoran. Now that's ironic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Antifa are a terrorist organisation, led in Ireland by paedophile Pat Corcaran. Now that's ironic.

What the actual fliuch... https://archive.is/BcDmW
    This is all news to me. Too long living up the mountains.

Antifa are a terrorist organisation, led in Ireland by paedophile Pat Corcoran. Now that's ironic.

I don't know much about the guy, perhaps you could explain the irony? And while I'm not mad on Antifa, where were they called a terrorist organisation?

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

Was that the outcome of proper arson investigations or internet rumour and conjecture?

I don't know much about the guy, perhaps you could explain the irony? And while I'm not mad on Antifa, where were they called a terrorist organisation?

Roaming the streets masked with weapons and attacking people with different political beliefs. Sounds like terrorism to me. Where was the fire in Rooskey called a terror attack?

El_Bee wrote: »
    Was that the outcome of proper arson investigations or internet rumour and conjecture?
    Not sure it's been concluded, but would you consider burning someone's property down because of something they agree to, to be an act of intimidation?

Roaming the streets masked with weapons and attacking people with different political beliefs. Sounds like terrorism to me. Where was the fire in Rooskey called a terror attack?

That's a fair point, it is terrorist like behaviour to do that. So we are in agreement that this thread is about what amounts to a terrorist attack in Rooskey.

• Advertisement

That's a fair point, it is terrorist like behaviour to do that. So we are in agreement that this thread is about what amounts to a terrorist attack in Rooskey.

If the suspected arson attack was politically motivated then yes I would have to agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

Not sure it's been concluded, but would you consider burning someone's property down because of something they agree to, to be an act of intimidation?

Well has the fire actually been deemed intentional? that local woman on the news seemed to dispute that.

Well has the fire actually been deemed intentional? that local woman on the news seemed to dispute that.

Suspected arson attack.

It could be coincidence that the exact same hotel set to house refugees just happened to go on fire twice in such a short period of time, but it would be extremely unlikely.

The guards are also sure it was premeditated: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/rooskey-fire-was-premeditated-and-carefully-planned-says-garda-1.3790892?mode=amp
    Monday night’s arson attack on the Shannon Key West Hotel in Rooskey was premeditated and involved “careful planning”, the local Garda superintendent has said.

Garda Superintendent Kevin English said on Tuesday that he believed those responsible for the fire at the hotel on the Leitrim/Roscommon border, which was earmarked for use as a direct provision centre, had spent a number of days in the local area planning the attack.

Zorya wrote: »
    What the actual fliuch... https://archive.is/BcDmW
    This is all news to me. Too long living up the mountains.

They're a violent group, that gob****e that was involved in the water protests Derek something i don't know what his surname is, is involved. Good few shinner supporters aswell. Bohemians FC hooligans also involved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Yurt! wrote: »
    Unfortunately, the majority of their footsoldiers are firmly from the clownshoes new left. How they can back her after she blatantly peddled falsehoods about her case is beyond me. Integrity deficit alert.

The party could crumble from this.

Good riddance to the Social Democrats for falling on their virtue signalling sword. Nobody should vote for them due to the bit in bold above.
    The "asylum seeker" lied in her "asylum" application. She should be deported and shame on any political party who continues to support her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,579 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

:pac:

Kivaro wrote: »
    Good riddance to the Social Democrats for falling on their virtue signalling sword. Nobody should vote for them due to the bit in bold above.
    The "asylum seeker" lied in her "asylum" application. She should be deported and shame on any political party who continues to support her.

There is an argument i have seen elsewhere online about how, no Irish abroad would have their integrity in doubt if they did something like this. Its beggars belief the games they play to try and excuse stuff like this, i dont know many illegal Irish in the US who are running for local office and i can tell you if they were caught it wouldnt be just swept under the carpet.

What people fail to realize is that its not just that she lied on official state documents but its also the reaction of the party themselves.

There is an argument i have seen elsewhere online about how, no Irish abroad would have their integrity in doubt if they did something like this. Its beggars belief the games they play to try and excuse stuff like this, i dont know many illegal Irish in the US who are running for local office and i can tell you if they were caught it wouldnt be just swept under the carpet.

What people fail to realize is that its not just that she lied on official state documents but its also the reaction of the party themselves.
    I agree that she seems to have lied, and I don't trust her integrity either to be honest. But just to point out from March 2018: In a first, an undocumented immigrant is appointed to a statewide post in California

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

tretorn wrote: »
    I hope they do crumble and the Irish Times along with them.

The paper of record describing falsehoods as contradictions, its a total rag now.

The Social Democrats are a party committed to working against the Irish people.

They're not to be trusted or taken seriously in any shape or form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Teddy Daniels

Oh my god. Townhouse about hoisted by their own petard.

The light hearted remix. Shout out to all the Africans.

The light hearted remix. Shout out to all the Africans.

WTF was that

Subscribed though!

WTF was that

Subscribed though!

I was in bits laughing at the donkey derby bit

I was in bits laughing at the donkey derby bit

This guy's channel is great. I think I prefer this one:

Varadkowave.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 SKILFUL

This guy's channel is great. I think I prefer this one:

Varadkowave.

Ugh not clickin on that varadker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Laneyh

Apparently it was actually a fertiliser bag so yes

Laneyh wrote: »
    Apparently it was actually a fertiliser bag so yes

According to who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Clearly an operation by some posters to derial the thread.

Here's a simple question:
    Did this hotel or whatever it was require/get planning permission to become a hostel/DPcentre or whatever it has become now?

I know of planning permission being rejected for actual luxury hotels (creating jobs, tourism),
    over on the other side of the Island - that got planning rejected due to 'traffic concerrns' from locals.

Yes, it was granted a temporary licence for 1 year to be reviewed as a DPP

There is also an ongoing row in the background over commercial rates, as yet unresolved as I understand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Drifter50 wrote: »
    Yes, it was granted a temporary licence for 1 year ...

A 'licence' is slightly different from 'planning permission' is it not? In that it isn't published in their local press, thereby offering public consultation or opportunities for locals there to object.

That's assuming it wasn't published/advertised in press as a 'DP Centre'. Am not from that area so only a local could confirm if they saw an advertisment clearly under e.g. 'public notices' in their press.

Chinasea wrote: »
    Consulted about bloody well what..

That the Syrian war is the worst humanitarian crises of out time. That the people were fleeing nerve gas and chemical weapons. That children were imprisoned and tortured.

That Ireland quibbles over taking a paltry handful of these refugees.

That local savages burn an abandoned unwanted hotel that some of these people might take shelter in.

Its neither abandoned or unwanted. Original owner got into difficulty and had to relinquish to the bank, there have been several sales set up and agreed over the last few years which just could`nt get over the line due to various issues in the background. One of the most protracted of these is a curious intransigence of Leitrim County Council to do deals over the amount of commercial rates owed for some reason thats not all that clear. Let me assure you, all of the locals would be delighted to see a hotel open here again. There is no hotel in a 30 mile radius, nearest being Longford Arms, the Landmark or the Bush in Carrick on Shannon, Lough Rynn outside Mohill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,582 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Its neither abandoned or unwanted. Original owner got into difficulty and had to relinquish to the bank, there have been several sales set up and agreed over the last few years which just could`nt get over the line due to various issues in the background. One of the most protracted of these is a curious intransigence of Leitrim County Council to do deals over the amount of commercial rates owed for some reason thats not all that clear. Let me assure you, all of the locals would be delighted to see a hotel open here again. There is no hotel in a 30 mile radius, nearest being Longford Arms, the Landmark or the Bush in Carrick on Shannon, Lough Rynn outside Mohill.

I agree with you about the desirability of opening the hotel again.
    It was a good place when open and would be an addition to both the local community and visitors.

One caveat, it is not that far to other hotels.
    Carrick on Shannon is 19.6km
    Longford is 17.5km
    Lough Rynn is 12km

elperello wrote: »
    I agree with you about the desirability of opening the hotel again.
    It was a good place when open and would be an addition to both the local community and visitors.

One caveat, it is not that far to other hotels.
    Carrick on Shannon is 19.6km
    Longford is 17.5km
    Lough Rynn is 12km

Yes, thats about it. Lough Rynn is more a destination resort than a commercial hotel where you could arrange a meeting, meet for a coffee, stay in a regular hotel etc etc. Westward, the next nearest would be the Abbey Hotel in Roscommon town so at the end of the day you have a 35 miles circle in the middle of South Leitrim / North Roscommon with no hotel. I`m not including "Keenans Boutique Hotel" in Termonbarry, despite its name and a good spot, its not really a hotel.

Coincidentally, since the redrawing of the electoral boundaries, Leitrim is now a TD disenfranchised zone, maybe thats why the area gets forgotten about

Now where is Ming Flanagan when you need him...............he`s been very quiet recently

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

If the original owner got into difficulty then there wasn't enough visitors to the hotel to make the viable, simple as.

Local people always claim to want a hotel in their town but then drive into the nearest city to have something to eat or a wedding or party.

Drives me mad when people give out about a hotel closing when they probably visit it once a year.

If a hotel is not viable, then it closes, simple as.

• Advertisement

BBFAN wrote: »
    If the original owner got into difficulty then there wasn't enough visitors to the hotel to make the viable, simple as.

Local people always claim to want a hotel in their town but then drive into the nearest city to have something to eat or a wedding or party.

Drives me mad when people give out about a hotel closing when they probably visit it once a year.

If a hotel is not viable, then it closes, simple as.

There were other issues at play here not simply related to the commercial viability of the hotel that caused the downfall. No reason why in the right hands and with some good direction and management this could not be a resounding success again. Look at the Killyhevlin further up the road outside Enniskillen. This should be a carbon copy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement