Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just heard an ad on the radio for toyota hybrids where enthusiastic customers boast about how they're making the future safe for their children - by driving them to school in a hybrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

just heard an ad on the radio for toyota hybrids where enthusiastic customers boast about how they're making the future safe for their children - by driving them to school in a hybrid.

That bothers the life out of me... driving kids to school

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Not only are they embracing the worst of the future "better" technology, they are coupling it with the best of the worst technology, because if you don't think about it past the blue colouring they use on everything, which is apparently more emotive and better for the environment in that regard than green (ie no different).

Its better than doing nothing, but only marginally.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Children aren't allowed use their legs to get to school anymore. There is a boogieman on each corner waiting to kidnap them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

That new Ghost album. Wow!

• Advertisement

P_1 wrote: »

Never heard of them. Will have to look them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,744 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

P_1 wrote: »
    Tangential:
    My children love that Childish Gambino song. I think, apart from its artistic merits, the fact that "hunnid bands, hunnid bands, hunnid bands" sounds like "underpants, underpants, underpants" has a lot to do with it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

CramCycle wrote: »
    Not only are they embracing the worst of the future "better" technology, they are coupling it with the best of the worst technology, because if you don't think about it past the blue colouring they use on everything, which is apparently more emotive and better for the environment in that regard than green (ie no different).

Its better than doing nothing, but only marginally.
    yeah, if you didn't know better, listening to the ads, you'd be convinced that priuses suck in CO2, NO, hate and bad music, and all they emit is O2, love and a happiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

My Garmin 520 is charging on my desk here in work and is chirping with phone alerts. A colleague just looked over quizzically and asked me if I had a Tamagotchi :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Get In There

i think i mentioned before that the general bike cleaner they sell in dealz (2l for €1.49) is actually perfectly serviceable.
    there is one drawback though, and that's when i realised that the reason i frequently got 'no more lonely nights' stuck in my head, was that when i was in the garage i would see the bottle with its 'no more dirty bike' label. and i cannot shake the effect now.

Speaking of this bike cleaner, I'm running low on the bottle I've got. However it seems Dealz don't stock them anymore as I went to their stores in Blanch & Finglas but to no avail. Which is a shame cos i liked using their bike cleaning product.

• Advertisement

Speaking of this bike cleaner, I'm running low on the bottle I've got. However it seems Dealz don't stock them anymore as I went to their stores in Blanch & Finglas but to no avail. Which is a shame cos i liked using their bike cleaning product.

I saw it in the Iliac centre recently. It seemed to be a bike event of some sorts. It used to be on the shelf all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I bought car wheel cleaner in Eurogiant for 1.50 and it took all the grime off my bike with ease. If using this stuff or kind of stuff be sure to lube all the parts because it will strip everything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

DeTw0B0X0AA4_cY.jpg:small
    Cycle paths in Europe apparently.

Not a cyclist myself (yet!) but kind of curious if this is an accurate and up to date representation?
    Ireland's looking pretty sparse.

Click for full size.
    Or, check here for the interactive map it's taken from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Not a cyclist myself (yet!) but kind of curious if this is an accurate and up to date representation?

Click for full size.

I looked roads I'd know, and I wouldn't be trusting that map!

The R671 road is in its entirety; it's a road that you see lots of cyclists on but its horrible to ride solo. The Mauma & Mahon Falls roads are in also.

The roads in West Tipp/east Limerick are a mix of regional and county roads.

The west Cork roads look nice, but they are again open roads; just quite ones.

The roads in Clare are just Tour de Burren routes I would think.

Greenway type paths seem to marked in red( but then the road to Killary Harbour from Westport is in red to...

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=105996248

• Registered Users Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭buffalo

I'm looking to buy a Ribble bike, frame sizes offered are:
    * 52cm (Medium)
    * 55cm (Large)

I'm riding a Focus at the moment, size 54cm. Is it better to go with the closer size (55cm), or go smaller and expand using seatpost/stem/etc. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭guanciale

^
    Cant imagine that it is sensible even though its 1cm.
    I would always go smaller and extend and drop the stem. I feel it makes for better handling in tight turns.
    In the case of the ribble though you would be dropping 2cm assuming same effective TT size.
    If you feel you wont get toe overlap Id go with smaller frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭guanciale

nee wrote: »
    :pac: It's a pricey coffee :eek: :p

It's not a bad idea in fairness, but jaysus it's pricey and the whole filming thing is mad. I wonder what numbers they'll get. Or what future champions will result!

Hopefully there is no see through lycra, what with all the cameras there😝

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

guanciale wrote: »
    Hopefully there is no see through lycra, what with all the cameras thereðŸ˜

:eek: :eek:

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Not everyone lives close enough or in areas suitable enough for kids to walk, scoot or cycle to school. Don't player hate homeboy!

buffalo wrote: »
    I'm looking to buy a Ribble bike, frame sizes offered are:
    * 52cm (Medium)
    * 55cm (Large)

I'm riding a Focus at the moment, size 54cm. Is it better to go with the closer size (55cm), or go smaller and expand using seatpost/stem/etc. ?
    one bike maker's 55 may be quite different from another's 54. do they give the geometry stats?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Torres09

Just picked up 2 bottles in Dealz, ClareHall they have 5 bottles left if your near by??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭buffalo

one bike maker's 55 may be quite different from another's 54. do they give the geometry stats?

They do. Am I going to have to break out the protractor?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Don't break it. Maths is hard enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Stack and reach are the two measurements to compare frames.

That's the easy bit, finding the values is the hard part.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭dahat

[url] https://www.strava.com/activities/1610998398[/url]

This lad went for a spin the other day.....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Happy World Bike Day. Wherever you go today, enjoy it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »

Not everyone lives close enough or in areas suitable enough for kids to walk, scoot or cycle to school. Don't player hate homeboy!
    case for some but not as many as whom drive, or put their kids in this or that school even though its 10km away then drive them their too, like kids being driving into city schools its just nonsense when you visit the netherlands, norway, denmark

• Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Not everyone lives close enough or in areas suitable enough for kids to walk, scoot or cycle to school.

but plenty do. My kids are in a secondary school with about 500 kids, I've rarely seen more than 5 bikes at the bike racks. It would be nice if schools encouraged the kids to cycle but I understand why they might be reluctant to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

See if they quote stack & reach in the Ribble geo and compare that to the Focus if you can. Or if not compare things like the effective top tube and headtube heights etc. Will give you a rough guide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Click for full size.

cycle routes really the ones in donegal are just marked routes on regular roads

Advertisement