Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,060 ✭✭✭buffalo

Saw a guy on the canal and NCR on one of those electric wheels, cruising along in the bike lane. Looked like a handy way to get around, but I could only imagine you must get stiff after a while?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

buffalo wrote: »
    Saw a guy on the canal and NCR on one of those electric wheels, cruising along in the bike lane. Looked like a handy way to get around, but I could only imagine you must get stiff after a while?

Handy way to get around but could you bear looking like an absolute dork?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Miklos wrote: »
    Handy way to get around but could you bear looking like an absolute dork?
    I know this is our safe space, but don't lose sight of that fact that we already look like absolute dorks to normal people. :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Lumen wrote: »
    I know this is our safe space, but don't lose sight of that fact that we already look like absolute dorks to normal people. :D

Normal people, I hate them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭VW 1

A new guy that started work in my place last week asked how I got to work, when I said I cycled he said "oh you are one of those MAMILs".

I'm 29 and wouldn't think I even look as old as that.

Middle aged indeed, he's on my list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Dorks with strong legs, though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

VW 1 wrote: »
    A new guy that started work in my place last week asked how I got to work, when I said I cycled he said "oh you are one of those MAMILs".

I'm 29 and wouldn't think I even look as old as that.

Middle aged indeed, he's on my list.

I'm 47 and still haven't hit middle age ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

buffalo wrote: »
    Any time I see them, they are moving. I'm curious to see how you take off in one - i.e. how do you get both feet on at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I figure it's the same as getting on a lolo ball?

I saw this guy on Friday that's shown in this post roughly in the same area the vid was taken, gets a decent bit of speed but I watched one person overtake him coming to a bend meaning he was the one who had to brake as he would have had more momentum

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107005252&postcount=1644

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Theyre called a VeloMobile
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velomobile

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

ED E wrote: »

That particular one is a QuattroVelo - €8k + and rare even by velomobile standards

It's crying out for a number 5 on the front!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

It's crying out for a number 5 on the front!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It's an eye-catching good looking thing. I wonder does he use it on a commute and the practicalities that come with it, or if the route is a route he takes for a spin.

I have seen the more traditional type recumbents, or hand bike maybe, around that area before too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,660 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

was at the dublin cycling campaign meeting tonight, the showing of the documentary 'why we cycle'. was interesting to see the reaction of my (non-cycling) wife who came along. she really enjoyed the film but felt it was the sort of thing that would fail as 'propaganda' as it would mainly just appeal to the converted.

one of the more interesting contributions to the session after where people were asking questions and passing comments, was from the dublin city council road engineer who urged everyone to contact their representatives more; there was a definite message of 'we could do so much more for you if the politicians gave us the mandate to do it, and they won't do it if you don't pester them'. the cynic in me worries that he's just a lone voice in that department, but he got a deserved round of applause.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

My everything hurts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

one of the more interesting contributions to the session after where people were asking questions and passing comments, was from the dublin city council road engineer who urged everyone to contact their representatives more; there was a definite message of 'we could do so much more for you if the politicians gave us the mandate to do it, and they won't do it if you don't pester them'. the cynic in me worries that he's just a lone voice in that department, but he got a deserved round of applause.

This is exactly the point of the Dublin Cyclingworks campaign - not just getting ordinary cyclists to ask for action, but getting CEOs to do so; politicians are waaay more likely to listen to "business" than to punters.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/e/2PACX-1vR6cougHvt1vaqYQ_KjNZEX27wSqbhX5_vIcFauN44k-Jd2eYOYzFRjbJOPOeA32B68kqZ4oH3r-LTg/pub?start=true&loop=false&delayms=5000&slide=id.g37d5cd6b18_0_8

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1BAHcnEy4IZaF_xmE10yx1awPx6zJtdEy

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Now that I'm lucid and have survived the mad 13 hour journey home from Download followed by a day's work after getting in at 1am last night a quick heads up for anyone getting the ferry to Holyhead and bringing the bike.

Stena Line don't let you cycle onto the boat, rather they insist you check your bike in as luggage and then hang about as a foot passenger, which kinda negates the convenience of cycling in the first place. It wasn't too bad as I only brought the fixie over with me but for anyone with a fancy bike, take the Irish Ferries boat.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I found not telling them works wonders, get the ticket, walk out to get your bike and then cycle round. The ticket checkers for vehicles don't seem to care.

If its wet though you'll be made walk the ramp, and if it's windy, I can understand them stopping you if they did.

Bike is very convenient, as you are one of the first off whatever deck you are on if cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Sneakily put on the Eurosport app on the phone To watch the end of today’s stage of the tour de suisse at work, switched it on with about 6km to go.

Thinking excellent,

But as the finish line loomed, I was thinking this looks a lot like yesterday’s finish, unlucky for Sagan to get sandwiched again on the line, turns out I was watching a rerun of yesterday’s, switched to the correct stream and the stage was over :(

• Advertisement

Boscoirl wrote: »
    Sneakily put on the Eurosport app on the phone To watch the end of today’s stage of the tour de suisse at work, switched it on with about 6km to go.

Thinking excellent,

But as the finish line loomed, I was thinking this looks a lot like yesterday’s finish, unlucky for Sagan to get sandwiched again on the line, turns out I was watching a rerun of yesterday’s, switched to the correct stream and the stage was over :(

Today was likely the wettest day I've seen this year in a world tour race. Horrible.
    chris juul jensen
    won so I'm happy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Where the fcuk is this bullshyte coming from?

ETA spotted in You Laugh You Lose

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,660 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's been on facebook too. my father in law was posting it. which is one reason why i'm not friends with him on facebook.
    it was a repost of an australian post giving out about cyclists cycling two abreast. with a nakedly self-serving argument as to why; their diagram claimed that cyclists being allowed cycle two abreast would make life difficult for motorists to drive two abreast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Time to play the cyclists (pedestrians horse riders) use the road by right card - drivers use by licence which an be revoked.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Torres09

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Torres09

How much!

Also group, gruppo, pick one. :D

Feckin Auto Correct :mad:

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/littering-fine-kid-dutch-bike-shop/

maybe a cyclist reported them for not doing an adequate enough job?

• Advertisement

Thats some special kind of jobsworth / local busybody right there. My head won't stop shaking.

Advertisement