Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Chase

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭lertsnim

You think they might be playing up to the cameras with the interactions with contestants, but it seems Mark actually hates Mohammed.

https://twitter.com/MarkLabbett/status/1347291705318526982

Muhammad was one of the most up his arse contestants ever on this show or The Chase. You'd hope he was taking the piss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Storm 10

lertsnim wrote: »
    Muhammad was one of the most up his arse contestants ever on this show or The Chase. You'd hope he was taking the piss.

I was hoping he would not win he was a real chicken ok only going for the 1k he was well sussed out by Paul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭gidget

I often have to wonder about some of the answers that do & don’t get accepted.

Rewatching last nights Beat the Chasers, to hear one of the answers again, to confirm an answer that rightly shouldn’t have been allowed. When the Irish woman was doing the challenge she was asked ‘What fruit is used to make dried currents’, to which she answered first with sultanas before saying apple. By right Bradley should have stopped the clock & said have to accept the first answer.

Noticed it last week too in one of the celeb version of The Chase, question was ‘Who wrote Gulliver’s Travels’ instead of saying Jonathan Swift he answered with Swift Jonathan.

Yet last night Bradley wouldn’t allow the question that Paul gave at the last second because he didn’t pronounce it right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,030 ✭✭✭✭Basq

gidget wrote: »
    When the Irish woman was doing the challenge she was asked ‘What fruit is used to make dried currents’, to which she answered first with sultanas before saying apple. By right Bradley should have stopped the clock & said have to accept the first answer.
    No, she said "sultanas" and then said "grapes".

"Grapes" being the correct answer was said second, so Brad's actions were correct. He couldn't accept it as the first answer was incorrect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Swift Jonathon is different. What happens is you answer the correct name, as in Swift, the follow up Jonathon is a clarification as to his first name. Always accepted, in fact many quizzes wouldn't need a first name.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Disaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭nsnoefc1878

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    He wasn't best pleased at that!! Will there be another twitter storm tonight?

Yer man was good (if a teeny bit lucky at the end).

Arrogant little fecker and a sore loser that Paul fella.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Whilst the Beat the Chasers format is entertaining its flawed.

I dont like the multiple choice question format, some of the questions are very abstract.
    There seems to be no logic as to how the offers are made to different contestants.

Some offers are derisory and others are extremely generous, especially towards the weaker contestants.

It seems too contrived .
    Against a good contestant the Chasers are ruthless and waste hardly any time but against the poorer contestants they waste time and throw answers .

The contestants questions seem to get harder as the 60 seconds goes on so the smart money is on taking the 40-42 second offer .
    That way you avoid the harder questions .
    If the Chasers want to make it easy for a contestant then they make a generous offer around 40-42 seconds, if they dont want to give the money away they make no decent offer until 45 seconds and higher.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

As generous as it gets, thought he'd take on 5.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

A few nice wins tonight

Happy4all wrote: »
    A few nice wins tonight

A bit predictable and tame, I thought. Leave The Chase as is. It doesn’t work when they try to work as a team.

As generous as it gets, thought he'd take on 5.

Ah its a complete fix .

Other contestants tonight were offered derisory offers and the last guy gets 3 great offers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Are offers at the chasers discretion or are they fed to them by the ITV accountants?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,528 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Are offers at the chasers discretion or are they fed to them by the ITV accountants?

I've often wondered the same about the ordinary game, and I assume they're fed the offers from backstage.

Whatever about the others, Mark('s ego) would completely lose the run of himself far too often to be given free rein!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,839 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Of course they don’t come up with the offers themselves. There’s a massive team behind them doing that!

Likely the same with the one-liners etc.

Didn’t like the format the first time and don’t this time around either. The cash-builder is relatively pointless bar getting the first question wrong being a disaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

Love this programme. Love Bradley. It's my favourite quiz show.

I can't watch it but maybe I'm missing something...the general public contestants go in a head-to-head at answering questions (that are chosen by the programme producers or whoever) against someone who works for the programme???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I would guess they have actuaries calculating the risks etc.. I also assume they grade contestants beforehand with tests etc..?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Some players seem to be acting the bimbo/himbo a bit to get more time and money. They suddenly get down to business and become very focused when it comes to the chase.

I’d say so. I noticed a couple of chasers looking down before making an offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭brian_t

There is a spin-off of sorts coming.

The Chasers Road Trip: Trains, Brains and Automobiles starts on Thursday 21st January ITV at 9pm.
    Anne Hegerty, Mark Labbett and Shaun Wallace - three of the biggest brains of the quizzing universe escape the confines of the studio to embark on an adventure like no other.

In this brand-new three part series The Chasers’ Road Trip: Trains, Brains and Automobiles, we follow our three fearless brainboxes as they pit their wits against extraordinary competition as they try to answer the age old question 'Are we really as smart as we think we are?'

To find the answers, this brand new primetime series, follows our three titans of trivia as they travel the globe to take on child geniuses, great apes, and the latest AI and robot technology.
    https://www.itv.com/presscentre/ep1week3/chasers-road-trip-trains-brains-and-automobiles

• Advertisement

brian_t wrote: »
    There is a spin-off of sorts coming.

The Chasers Road Trip: Trains, Brains and Automobiles starts on Thursday 21st January ITV at 9pm.

https://www.itv.com/presscentre/ep1week3/chasers-road-trip-trains-brains-and-automobiles

Caught a glimpse of The Beast doing his version of Daniel Craig’s 007 coming out of the sea in swimming trunks. A real horror show!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Caught a glimpse of The Beast doing his version of Daniel Craig’s 007 coming out of the sea in swimming trunks. A real horror show!
    Why couldn't it have been the Vixen? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,839 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Why couldn't it have been the Vixen? :(

Jesus

Shauns shorts :eek:

The Beast looks like he has lost a good bit of weight in fairness to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Loyal Lady

In last night’s show, the chasers answered 31 questions correctly in the first section. Unfortunately, they didn’t all get through to the end but I was wondering whether 31 was the highest first round score for a team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Loyal Lady wrote: »
    In last night’s show, the chasers answered 31 questions correctly in the first section. Unfortunately, they didn’t all get through to the end but I was wondering whether 31 was the highest first round score for a team?

Last night on V2? That was the second instance of a team scoring 31 combined in the cash builder, see http://onequestionshootout.xyz/stats/cashbuilders_team.htm under the Series 6+ section.

The Governess had a horror today. 12 in the final chase and she was beaten by 7!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

The Governess had a horror today. 12 in the final chase and she was beaten by 7!

Yeah couldn't believe it. She usually comfortably beats any score that's below 20

I enjoyed the road trip episode tonight , some good moments.

• Advertisement

It was something else. It must be a contender for the biggest loss taken by a chaser but I am sure Shaun Wallace has lost to 11 before.

I enjoyed the road trip episode tonight , some good moments.

I find something very endearing about Shaun.

The sight of the beast coming out of the sea is one I can’t get out of my mind!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Darragh finally!

Unearthly wrote: »
    Darragh finally!

He’s settled in a bit more and is interacting with Brad and the contestants more.

I think there's a new Beat The Chasers series on this week.... it's listed in the paper as including Darragh, but not Paul Sinha.

Hope that's just giving the new guy a run out, and that Paul is OK :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,213 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think there's a new Beat The Chasers series on this week.... it's listed in the paper as including Darragh, but not Paul Sinha.

Paul was missing from the previous series over a month ago too due to illness, but I think this series was filmed around the same time so I think it was one bout of illness that took him out of both series'.

Paul was ill when it was filmed so Daragh got to take his place. Paul was diagnosed with Parkinson’s last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,153 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I cant warm to Beat the Chasers at all . I must prefer the old format

Paul was ill when it was filmed so Daragh got to take his place. Paul was diagnosed with Parkinson’s last year.

Yes, I knew about the diagnosis, hence hoping he's OK.

I haven't been following the new series, so not up on who's been appearing in that. Although I gathered from this thread that Darragh is settling in well!

• Advertisement

iamwhoiam wrote: »

I find it very scripted. While there is some scripted chat in the original, it flows better.

Watching The Chase just now and two things struck me about The Beast.
    He seems to have a slight shake in his head.
    He got a question wrong and said “I can see it, but cannot remember what it is”. It’s the second time that I’ve heard him say that in recent weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭imfml

iamwhoiam wrote: »

Much harder to play along. In the original format you could see how many questions you'd have got correct in the cash builder and if you'd have got through at the table. With Beat The Chasers it's not possible to play from home. Still, I wish I could apply to any version of The Chase and go on the show!

In the head to head I think you have to pick one side to play with, usually the contestant. You couldn't keep up with answering or trying to answer both sides.

imfml wrote: »
    Much harder to play along. In the original format you could see how many questions you'd have got correct in the cash builder and if you'd have got through at the table. With Beat The Chasers it's not possible to play from home. Still, I wish I could apply to any version of The Chase and go on the show!

I dont mind Beat the Chasers but my father, who controls the remote doesn't like it at all.

But yeah, same as you, I'd love to go on it. I've got my strategy mapped out and everything.

No, I'm not a nerd at all...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Gone right off the Chase in general.

Must be nearing cancellation at this stage.

The "big mean chaser" shtick is boring now when they're so often very complimentary and happy for the winning contestants.

Beat the Chasers is worse again. How can the Chasers be the one that sets the time allowed? Sure what's to stop them saying they want 50 seconds for every level? It's probably a disadvantage to do good in the cash builder too because then you get less time for the higher offer.

• Advertisement

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Gone right off the Chase in general.

Must be nearing cancellation at this stage.

The "big mean chaser" shtick is boring now when they're so often very complimentary and happy for the winning contestants.

Beat the Chasers is worse again. How can the Chasers be the one that sets the time allowed? Sure what's to stop them saying they want 50 seconds for every level? It's probably a disadvantage to do good in the cash builder too because then you get less time for the higher offer.

With a regular audience of three to five million, The Chase is one of ITV's most successful daytime shows ever. The show has been nominated six times at the National Television Awards, winning in 2016, 2017 and 2019.

Yeah, its definitely on the verge of being cancelled. :rolleyes:

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Beat the Chasers is worse again. How can the Chasers be the one that sets the time allowed?

I'd say it's the producers that decide the time for each option.

lertsnim wrote: »
    I'd say it's the producers that decide the time for each option.
    Same as the money offer in the normal game.

No way are the chasers let loose with those decisions!

Hard to judge how much leeway, if any they have. The Beast tends to make a poor offer generally.

Water John wrote: »
    Hard to judge how much leeway, if any they have. The Beast tends to make a poor offer generally.

But then if they rise him a bit he makes "THE BIGGEST OFFER WE'VE EVER MADE". He, in particular, would completely lose the run of himself if let loose I reckon!

• Advertisement
Advertisement