Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is Ireland's worst journalist?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

DellyBelly wrote: »
    I'd probably have to say Tom Humphries...

Had an eye for young talent anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭KaneToad

For all the stick they get the RTE journalists are not that bad...at least they try to report the facts and leave the opinion out of it. Print journalism is just wall to wall opinion pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

KaneToad wrote: »
    For all the stick they get the RTE journalists are not that bad...at least they try to report the facts and leave the opinion out of it. Print journalism is just wall to wall opinion pieces.

I find it hard to take the media seriously when they have all these opinion pieces. It's like propaganda for causes the journalists support. I think if they just reported the facts they'd be much higher trust in the media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Barry Egan 100 times over!!!

He literally is a professional ego masseuse and creates a talentless celebrity culture to justify his job.

Exhibit A: (amongst thousands of exhibits)

https://www.independent.ie/videos/highlights/john-the-baptist-part-1-30565080.html

People like Egan enabled Delaney's behavior and as such are a prime reason of why Irish football is in a poor enough state and kids have lost out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Forgot about Ewan MacKenna. Went from being a white-label Dunphy to some sort of crank who spends his day being angry on Twitter.

He is visibly losing the plot on twitter. Wasn't he sports journalist of the year at one point?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Gemma o Doherty if she counts??

Nah she's not even a human being.

I don't like that clown Waters either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

smilerf wrote: »
    I don't know know if he is still working but I remember when I used to buy the Sunday world there was one journalist who pissed and moaned every week.
    Roy something I think

Curtis? The man literally knows nothing about football.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Ian O Doherty. Nothing to do with him being a white male and everything to do with him being a nasty piece of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭trashcan

Eoghan Harris, by some distance. John Waters/Gemma O'Doherty don't qualify as they are only fit for a padded room.

Well, if John and Gemma don't qualify, then I would have thought that equally applies to England Harris. He should be locked into a room with Ruth Cuddly Dudley Edwards and left there.

Edit- funny how auto-correct can sometimes result in a Freudian slip ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    He is visibly losing the plot on twitter. Wasn't he sports journalist of the year at one point?

Sports reporter of the year at one stage I believe. He now has a podcast that supposedly goes on for hours and no one listens to. He’s up there with Paddy Cosgrove as favourite for the Irish Online Pain in the Hole of the Year Award Winner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

Roy Curtis - horrendous
    Barry Egan - mainly for john the baptist

Ruth Dudley Edwards

• Registered Users Posts: 20,498 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Omackeral wrote: »
    I've heard ''rumblings'' about it alright, R. Some sort of ''split personality'' where a contributor will create various ''characters'' and have different ''traits'' for them. I don't quite understand it myself.

Brian O'Nolan from the old days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭smilerf

Curtis? The man literally knows nothing about football.
    Yes that is him

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Paul McWilliams or David Quinn.

Or both.

It's got to be that Barry Egan guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

Ciara Kelly and it's not even close.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Does "Beaker" still count as a journalist?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Mary Ellen Synon. Professional troll, got fired from the Sindo which is saying something.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

That one who's name escapes me that bought a flat in the docklands and then wrote columns about how unfair all of it was when it lost its value during the crash. I think there was a bit of a legal hullabaloo about it too on boards.ie with her not liking the fact that she was being discussed. Her articles were generally just complete airhead stuff, a Dublin Carrie Bradshaw lite.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭topnotch

Paul Kimmage **** stirrer extraordinare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Paul Williams. Pretends to be hard hitting but is just a romance writer about criminals.

I've met him a couple of times socially (years ago) and he seemed nice enough, not a bragger or anything. So, it always surprises me when I see negative comments about him. If i read something he has written about criminal activity, am I being conned, I mean , surely he has to write the actual facts.

There's a TV series on one of the satellite channels, about murder investigations, and its hosted by an Irish journalist (who's name escapes me). I would watch one of his programmes and think "well, that's a bit tabloidy", so its his style I'd be criticising. I wouldn't be in a position to criticise the accuracy of the facts he reports, because how would I know one way or the other??? So is Paul Williams the print version of this guy?

As for worst journo - immediately Barry Egan comes to mind, but perhaps I'm doing a disservice to the profession by describing him as a journalist. Is Fawning ar$e licker a profession?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I quite like Barry Egan's work to be honest. It's not like he's a hard hitting gonzo journalist or anything. He's a gossip columnist, and I think he does that with the wit and levity that is required. I get the feeling Egan's tongue is firmly in his cheek as he writes what he writes.

I've met him a couple of times socially (years ago) and he seemed nice enough, not a bragger or anything. So, it always surprises me when I see negative comments about him. If i read something he has written about criminal activity, am I being conned, I mean , surely he has to write the actual facts.

There's a TV series on one of the satellite channels, about murder investigations, and its hosted by an Irish journalist (who's name escapes me). I would watch one of his programmes and think "well, that's a bit tabloidy", so its his style I'd be criticising. I wouldn't be in a position to criticise the accuracy of the facts he reports, because how would I know one way or the other??? So is Paul Williams the print version of this guy?

As for worst journo - immediately Barry Egan comes to mind, but perhaps I'm doing a disservice to the profession by describing him as a journalist. Is Fawning ar$e licker a profession?
    Guessing Donal McIntyre, Williams acted disgracefully towards Maurice McCabe,

I quite like Barry Egan's work to be honest. It's not like he's a hard hitting gonzo journalist or anything. He's a gossip columnist, and I think he does that with the wit and levity that is required. I get the feeling Egan's tongue is firmly in his cheek as he writes what he writes.

If it was 1930 he'd probably be more relevant

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭KB22

Karl Deeter , The tripe he comes out with. One that stick's in mind is , he recently wrote to put older people out of the 3/4 bed semi's they had worked hard to buy (the children have flown the coop). I have to add . Ciara Kelly! God help us.

KB22 wrote: »
    Karl Deeter , The tripe he comes out with. One that stick's in mind is , he recently wrote to put older people out of the 3/4 bed semi's they had worked hard to buy (the children have flown the coop). I have to add . Ciara Kelly! God help us.

The blinking idiot has a very strange fondness for other people's property, how someone with so many obvious personality tics gets airtime is bizarre,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

By pure aggressive tone of voice:: I could not stand Vincent Brown. And now it's Matt Cooper.. I did and do not like how they operate.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I find so many poor ones write for the Irish Independent.

I'm not sure if they have an agenda to push but I saw articles recently by Ciara O'Connor about how Funghie was part of millenials psyche. Really ? A dolphin. Only saw headline article is behind a paywall. Link. But who would pay to read that rubbish?

That's one example of them always trying to push this National group psyche. Whether it be that Amy Huberman is our national sweetheart and we need know all about her house extensions and pregnancies or years back or Brendan O'Connor years ago arguing that Katy French's death was Ireland's Princess Diana moment.

Really shocking stuff and then add Barry Egan, Ian Doherty and a few others really turns me off the paper and I'd never buy it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Brendan O'Connor came out with this infamous article in 2007, f*cking idiot!

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/the-smart-ballsy-guys-are-buying-up-property-right-now-26307728.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Kitty Holland.

Completely blinkered.

Kitty Holland is terrible. Travellers could burn her home down and she'd still blame discriminantion from the settled population. She's repeatedly printed lobbying sob stories that are paper thin.

While she's clearly an idiot, it does certainly tell you plenty about editorial standards at the IT that allow her to continue unchecked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement