Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Irish Pub is finished.

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭jackboy

How mane people here would bother with the pub under the booking, distancing rules and needing to buy a meal, and a 90 or 120 min time limit? I know I wouldn't. I might go once for novelty value but I probably won't go until the new rules aren't necessary anymore.

I liked the pub for a "couple of beers" after work on a Friday and end up staying for hours when the craic is good. Or going to watch a match with the lads in a packed pub.

The new rules don't allow for any of the reasons I used to like the pub. I won't be bothering with it.

For years the Irish mocked the continental version, the cafe bar. Places like that are no craic, was said, who would want to go to those places. This new version of the Irish pub is far, far worse than those cafe bars. At least they could chill out with a couple of drinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,797 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

How mane people here would bother with the pub under the booking, distancing rules and needing to buy a meal, and a 90 or 120 min time limit? I know I wouldn't. I might go once for novelty value but I probably won't go until the new rules aren't necessary anymore.

I liked the pub for a "couple of beers" after work on a Friday and end up staying for hours when the craic is good. Or going to watch a match with the lads in a packed pub.

The new rules don't allow for any of the reasons I used to like the pub. I won't be bothering with it.

Why do we go to pubs ? To relax, socialize, have an enjoyable time...

In what’s being proposed it’s going to be impossible to relax, impossible to socialize ‘properly’ and have an enjoyable time ? I think customers and staff will be on edge.

It doesn’t sound much like fun to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

I know a town where only one out of four is planning to reopen, one already has a for sale sign up. Same story all over the country. Tourist traps will be the only places where there won’t be mass casualties. Only 50% planning to reopen on the 29th. That’s a lot of jobs permanently removed from the economy by bat flu hysteria.

Pardon my ignorance, but why is this a bad thing? A lot of damage has been done to society and plenty of money has been pissed down the drain. It's time for men to stop relying on pubs for a social life, make friends and get back to their families.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

You think an alcoholic is going to magically take up windsurfing or needlepoint because his local shuts down?

I would imagine - as a recovering alcoholic myself - that the need to get drink at any cost - means most of the all-day pub lads - the barfly types - will be drinking from home or for the social aspect, at another alcohol dependant’s gaff. I’ve no doubt that they’re doing this already. If they have families - wives and children - I imagine being at home rather that in the pub every evening and all day at the weekends must be causing ructions for quite a few.

Some may well decide that it’s not worth the hassle going back to the pub with all the social distancing restrictions, which would I imagine be pretty hard to stick to once you’ve had about 7 or 8 pints down your gullet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭HBC08

Those rules are only for the 3 weeks til 20th July.
    I'm not sure what the pubs will look like when they do open though,it'll be different alright.
    I've booked a slot on thurs in a local restaraunt/pub.They sent an email with all the restrictions for customers,im interested to see what itll be like.
    I'm also booked for a haircut on sat,already been told theyre not allowed trim the beard,again im interested to see how it goes.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I would imagine - as a recovering alcoholic myself - that the need to get drink at any cost - means most of the all-day pub lads - the barfly types - will be drinking from home or for the social aspect, at another alcohol dependant’s gaff. I’ve no doubt that they’re doing this already. If they have families - wives and children - I imagine being at home rather that in the pub every evening and all day at the weekends must be causing ructions for quite a few.

Some may well decide that it’s not worth the hassle going back to the pub with all the social distancing restrictions, which would I imagine be pretty hard to stick to once you’ve had about 7 or 8 pints down your gullet.

There’s always the sanctimonious ex-something everywhere, but just because you had a problem with it you have absolutely no authority to say if someone else can handle it.

Absolutely could not be arsed with all of that. Why not just invite people around and do a barbecue?

I think there is still a big appetite for the pub, though.I don't want to incriminate anyone, but a pub that I'm very fond of has been doing a fairly steady trade throughout the pandemic -- this is one of those bars that is even buzzing on a Christmas day, you have to go around the yard and knock on the back door. People love their pubs.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

There’s always the sanctimonious ex-something everywhere, but just because you had a problem with it you have absolutely no authority to say if someone else can handle it.

Erm...where did I say I had a problem with people going to the pub and drinking? I know that drinking is no longer for me and for those who also crossed the line into alcohol dependency, but most people can drink normally and who I am to judge them or tell them that they should stop drinking?

The pub is an important social outlet for many, but that number has been in decline over the past 15 to 20 years as lifestyles change. The number of pubs is in decline. This is not my opinion - it is a fact. Also I think the challenges and logistics of just how pubs are going to operate with social distancing protocols will certainly not be without its problems.

But I suppose that because I had serious issues with alcohol I am not allowed to comment on this thread in any shape or form? Oh right...and here was little me thinking we lived in a free country. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Agree 100%. I've no problem in saying I'm a big fan of the pub, but not in the current, proposed guise. All these rules and regulations, whilst necessary for the moment, undermine the ethos of the pub. Whilst I go to the pub to meet my friends, work colleagues, family, etc., I'm also going for the unknown - the spontaneity of a night out, meeting strangers, old friends, acquaintances, etc. This cannot be replicated at home drinking a few cans, or having a BBQ. It also cannot really be facilitated with the current restrictions. The sooner a vaccine becomes available, the better!

• Advertisement

Absolutely could not be arsed with all of that. Why not just invite people around and do a barbecue?

I think there is still a big appetite for the pub, though.I don't want to incriminate anyone, but a pub that I'm very fond of has been doing a fairly steady trade throughout the pandemic -- this is one of those bars that is even buzzing on a Christmas day, you have to go around the yard and knock on the back door. People love their pubs.

You have to bear in mind that inviting people over isn't an option for everyone for a myriad of reasons.

Personally I'm living at home so I cant be inviting friends over here, ditto for my friend I usually meet on Friday.

Then others may have a wife and kids at home or some other awkward situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Very similar scenario here, all these rules and regulations would negate the enjoyment aspect of going to the local pub for me, we'll see how it pans out but can't see myself rushing back as things stand, and I agree these rules and regulations are absolutely necessary for the safety of public health.

the spontaneity of a night out, meeting strangers, old friends, acquaintances, etc. This cannot be replicated at home drinking a few cans, or having a BBQ.
    Exactly this. The next time I go into Patsy's bar in Borrisokane, I don't want to just sit in the corner, 2 meters from my friends, and chat for an allotted timetable.
    I want to sing "Come Out Ye Black And Tans" with people I haven't seen since the Leaving Cert. This spontaneity is the whole reason for the rural pub. As a People, we do not want to dwell for hours on cups of coffee.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I don't want to incriminate anyone, but a pub that I'm very fond of has been doing a fairly steady trade throughout the pandemic -- this is one of those bars that is even buzzing on a Christmas day, you have to go around the yard and knock on the back door
    The next time I go into Patsy's bar in Borrisokane, I don't want to just sit in the corner, 2 meters from my friends, and chat for an allotted timetable.
    I want to sing "Come Out Ye Black And Tans" with people I haven't seen since the Leaving Cert

Quick lads, I’ll meet ye all down Patsy’s ;)

L'prof wrote: »
    Quick lads, I’ll meet ye all down Patsy’s ;)

If you get me banned from my favourite pub, I will... *googles how to delete someone else's post*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,531 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I can't wait for pubs to return to something resembling normal, the only thing stopping me is the time limit, you'd only be settled and have to leave again.

I'd happily pay €9 and push the food around the plate if I could stay for 4-5 hours, I even love the idea of table service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Something similar on an odd Friday night to meet lads to get info and a bit of craic about local gaa banter. On Saturday nights four of us always went to the pub in two different villages on alternate weekend with 3 and 5 pubs and would always be something on in one of the pubs and always someone to see or meet. In the last two years the pubs have slowed down with less people out and very few to meet and have craic. If you want to see someone about work it’s done by phone. The same for arranging to go shooting, the gaa has killed the pint after matches craic with bringing teams out of their area to play matches and charging larger fee into matches. Never really drank at home till Covid, can get 20 bottles for 17 euro in Lidl and don’t have to look at smart arse bar men.

Something similar on an odd Friday night to meet lads to get info and a bit of craic about local gaa banter. On Saturday nights four of us always went to the pub in two different villages on alternate weekend with 3 and 5 pubs and would always be something on in one of the pubs and always someone to see or meet. In the last two years the pubs have slowed down with less people out and very few to meet and have craic. If you want to see someone about work it’s done by phone. The same for arranging to go shooting, the gaa has killed the pint after matches craic with bringing teams out of their area to play matches and charging larger fee into matches. Never really drank at home till Covid, can get 20 bottles for 17 euro in Lidl and don’t have to look at smart arse bar men.

Well said Sheep, that sounds very like my local area here in Co Limerick, what part of the country are you in ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

What?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

Agree 100%. I've no problem in saying I'm a big fan of the pub, but not in the current, proposed guise. All these rules and regulations, whilst necessary for the moment, undermine the ethos of the pub. Whilst I go to the pub to meet my friends, work colleagues, family, etc., I'm also going for the unknown - the spontaneity of a night out, meeting strangers, old friends, acquaintances, etc. This cannot be replicated at home drinking a few cans, or having a BBQ. It also cannot really be facilitated with the current restrictions. The sooner a vaccine becomes available, the better!

Agreed. I won’t be in the pubs because of the joyless, clinical nature of the restrictions. It just saddens me at what we’ve become. On the vaccine though, I wouldn’t count on it. We need to live with the virus as we do with all others. There is no other way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,912 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

They shouldn't be opening the pubs.

South Korea, Australia, Florida, Texas and California have ordered bars closed following outbreaks or super spread events and other local places as well within days of reopening them.

It's hard to imagine a worse place for spread than a pub with the exception of nightclubs.

Seems a badly judged risk for the country to take atm so people can have a pint in a pub.

• Advertisement

South Korea, Australia, Florida, Texas and California have ordered bars closed following outbreaks or super spread events and other local places as well within days of reopening them.

It's hard to imagine a worse place for spread than a pub with the exception of nightclubs.

Seems a badly judged risk for the country to take atm so people can have a pint in a pub.

Must say I agree with you here Kermit, as much as I miss going to the local myself I feel it would be wiser to leave the pubs closed for at the very least the next 3 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Agree, it's been a disaster in most places. I know Vintners are strong lobbiests but **** the moaners. We are on top things as it is and opening pubs increases the risk substantially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,641 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Will it be September or October at least before you can play a traditional Irish music session in a pub, no doubt the musicians spaced apart, I used to have a regular session at Tigh Cholis on the Monday night in Galway, I really missing that kind of contact. I'll probably go to some mates house for a few tunes so I don't go demented.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    Agreed. I won’t be in the pubs because of the joyless, clinical nature of the restrictions. It just saddens me at what we’ve become. On the vaccine though, I wouldn’t count on it. We need to live with the virus as we do with all others. There is no other way.
    Well, the "other way" which you refer to is the old way, not this new normal bolox. From what I've been reading, there are very optimistic signs that a vaccine will be successful, just think of the resources going into this - bar the Spanish Flu, has there ever been a pandemic that brought the entire planet to a halt such as this has? The current way of living, is not living at all to me, living in a semi-state of fear, perpetrated by incessant media bombast, no sporting events to attend, no concerts, no holidays, no foreign travel at all. And to top it off, no pub as we know it! :D No way can this be considered the way forward.

Well, the "other way" which you refer to is the old way, not this new normal bolox. From what I've been reading, there are very optimistic signs that a vaccine will be successful, just think of the resources going into this - bar the Spanish Flu, has there ever been a pandemic that brought the entire planet to a halt such as this has? The current way of living, is not living at all to me, living in a semi-state of fear, perpetrated by incessant media bombast, no sporting events to attend, no concerts, no holidays, no foreign travel at all. And to top it off, no pub as we know it! :D No way can this be considered the way forward.

But like to bring it back to basics people are actually dying from this wretched virus, you do realise that don't you while you're missing going to the pub or going to a match :rolleyes:

GoneHome wrote: »
    But like to bring it back to basics people are actually dying from this wretched virus, you do realise that don't you while you're missing going to the pub or going to a match :rolleyes:
    All the more reason for a vaccine, obviously. Or maybe everything needs to be explicitly stated nice and clearly for your comprehension. In the absence of an facility to provide you with a drawing, with labels, let me make it perfectly clear that the priority of a vaccine would be to keep the population immunized and healthy - so that they don't contract the virus and become sick. As a secondary benefit, those same people could then return to the old normal which might involve going to matches, having the odd pint, etc.

All the more reason for a vaccine, obviously. Or maybe everything needs to be explicitly stated nice and clearly for your comprehension. In the absence of an facility to provide you with a drawing, with labels, let me make it perfectly clear that the priority of a vaccine would be to keep the population immunized and healthy - so that they don't contract the virus and become sick. As a secondary benefit, those same people could then return to the old normal which might involve going to matches, having the odd pint, etc.

Yes and all of that will come with time, a vaccine can't just be plucked out of the sky so for now we need to stick with the programme as hard as it may seem and stick with it we will have to for up to another 18 months

Well said Sheep, that sounds very like my local area here in Co Limerick, what part of the country are you in ?

Worked outside the city in limerick on farm many years ago and had massive craic with the locals and the gaa club. The small pubs were a must up to loch gur, and one pub on a Sunday night after matches was super fun and off to the rose of Tralee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

_Brian wrote: »
    This a thousand times over.

Irish people need to break their relationship with pubs and excessive drinking culture. Hopefully the remaining pins will have to substantially increase prices so going for one pint is no big deal, but makes full days and nights drinking less of a thing.

€1 onto a pint is nothing if you are going for one or two.

You're not too au fait with the mechanics of economics, are you?

Nor with societal norms for that matter, eh?

Ban something and it opens a market to criminality.
    Overprice something and it opens a market to smuggling and / or bootlegging.

Have you done your homework on this or are you just gasbagging? Tell you what. jack up the price of a pint of beer to one thousand euros. Don't illegalise it like Prohibition just make a pint cost more that a month's rent.

What do you think will happen then? Everyone will quit, right?

Does increasing the price of cigarettes make people quit? NO.
    You may say that less people smoke now than they did 40 years ago. Fine...nothiing to do with the price of smokes though. Less advertisement, more awareness of tobacco related sicknesses, etc.

What?? :confused:

As stated to travel 25 to 30 mile away for matches that would have been played local and would have filled in Sunday afternoons or evening for people and then into the pub for a bit of craic. All gone now as it is all about the money for the county board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭ampleforth

I know a town where only one out of four is planning to reopen, one already has a for sale sign up. Same story all over the country. Tourist traps will be the only places where there won’t be mass casualties. Only 50% planning to reopen on the 29th. That’s a lot of jobs permanently removed from the economy by bat flu hysteria.

Well, it would be a world-class phenomenon if drinking would stop --- but who knows, maybe its a start? Or people would start having more parties at their homes and save a ton of money while providing better food than burgers and chips? Bands being brought in such private homes and perform at house parties? Why not?

You're not too au fait with the mechanics of economics, are you?

Does increasing the price of cigarettes make people quit? NO.

Well, you would not smoke 1k a year if you don't have it, would you? Or you would not consult your bank to finance you hobby, or would you?

I think the price can become a component of your leisure choices when funding runs thin... and you don't have the time to do some black market enterprise to fill up your stash... Worth a thought at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

You would want to be crazy to enter a pub until the virus has been eradicated from Ireland.
    The same applies to hairdressers and barbers.

They should've stopped off sales during Covid as well.

God knows some people could cut down. Myself included.

Then cut down by yourself or stop completely.

Why do you need anything (Covid or war or anything else) to stop what you yourself should stop or at least cut down?

If booze was free 24/7 would you blame the fact that it was free 24/7 so you could "cut down"?

I don't do heroin. Hence I didn't need to cut down thanks to covid 19 pandemic. By the same token, those who DO do heroin were probably not affected.

I don't eat magic mushrooms and they grow freely in the wild. You don't have to pay for them. So I don't need to cut down on them, do I?

My point?......Why is it the responsibility of the off-license to close so YOU can cut down?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

You would want to be crazy to enter a pub until the virus has been eradicated from Ireland.
    The same applies to hairdressers and barbers.

Hahahahaha this is comedy gold. Big Mr. Tony and RTE have scared you have they? God that was a painful comment to read.

Seriously cop on. Based on that logic people shouldn’t be in supermarkets or stores of any sort with other people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Yes and all of that will come with time, a vaccine can't just be plucked out of the sky so for now we need to stick with the programme as hard as it may seem and stick with it we will have to for up to another 18 months

So people of all ages should just put their life on hold. No travel, no entertainment/social scene meet ups in restaurants / bars....

Pretty mad statement to suggest that for 18 months. I think if you enforced that on any people of the world mass hysteria would ensue.

Thankfully the people in power have no plans for that and are trying to return to normal, and the doomsday brigade on here aren’t in charge or anywhere near it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭wandererz

one already has a for sale sign up.

Dont worry, don't panic. It's being SOLD.

Once someone BUYS it, the previous owners will be rolling in enough cash to offset the 4 months of lost income.

_Brian wrote: »
    This a thousand times over.

Irish people need to break their relationship with pubs and excessive drinking culture. Hopefully the remaining pins will have to substantially increase prices so going for one pint is no big deal, but makes full days and nights drinking less of a thing.

€1 onto a pint is nothing if you are going for one or two.

You're so right

I HATE libraries. I haven't been to one in decades. The silence, the smell of books, the nerdy educated **** who sit there poring over some crap tome taped together.

That sh1t needs to stop

JupiterKid wrote: »

Did the availability of alcohol make you an alcoholic and did the difficulty in procuring it make you go dry?

I myself don't think I'm an alcoholic (that's what they all say) but I certainly have an unhealthy relationship with it.

I will always seek out a place that serves cold beer...even in the desert. If they only serve spirits then I'll have a tea.

Shutting the place down isn't going to stop me wanting a beer.

• Advertisement

ampleforth wrote: »
    Well, you would not smoke 1k a year if you don't have it, would you? Or you would not consult your bank to finance you hobby, or would you?

I think the price can become a component of your leisure choices when funding runs thin... and you don't have the time to do some black market enterprise to fill up your stash... Worth a thought at least.

I'd smoke illegal smuggled cigarettes.

As stated to travel 25 to 30 mile away for matches that would have been played local and would have filled in Sunday afternoons or evening for people and then into the pub for a bit of craic. All gone now as it is all about the money for the county board.

I have to say I don’t see this in my parish. Games are played home or away in the league and championship in a nearby town with a stadium. Regardless we always go into one of the locals on the way back for a few pints and always a big crowd do similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

My local only really closed for a couple of weeks at the start. You can just text and they let you in the back. Sessions aren't the same though. No sports on the TV, they never put any music on. The craic just isn't there.

Only a few occasions was it busy and a bit of craic. It'll nearly be worse now. At least before you knocked to get in and they let us smoke inside and stay late. Now that they're opening officially they'll probably be more by the book. I'll still go anyway.

That is perhaps the best way to deal with it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ingo1984

A lot of the reason for pubs not re opening is the licensing laws. If you want to turn your gaff into a pub first you have to buy a secondhand pub license for 50 to 80k, get planning permission.

There have been no brand new pub licenses created for decades except for the convention centre. Also the dood you buy your secondhand pub license from can never turn his building into a pub again. A certain number of licenses are 'lost' every year so there is constant downward pressure on the number of pubs by our overlords despite their cheap talk of re opening the country.

If you see a pub for sale and think it might be a goer because things picked up in that area, if the owner sold the license so he could sit on his hole in Lanzarote for a few years you are stuffed, it won't become a pub again even if you buy a license

No need for a pub license. Just get restaurant license. Permits you to sell alcohol whilst you are serving food. Serve food up until 11.30pm last orders, everyone out the door by 12.30am. Get restaurant license fairly easy. Be surprised how many pubs don't have a pub license but operate off a restaurant license.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,226 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

My local only really closed for a couple of weeks at the start. You can just text and they let you in the back. Sessions aren't the same though. No sports on the TV, they never put any music on. The craic just isn't there.

Only a few occasions was it busy and a bit of craic. It'll nearly be worse now. At least before you knocked to get in and they let us smoke inside and stay late. Now that they're opening officially they'll probably be more by the book. I'll still go anyway.

Curious to know where they got the kegs from? Is it easy to deliver kegs without being noticed? Asking for a friend;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Ive no idea what you are on about tbh? Has the local club to play their home games 25 or 30 miles away?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭I Am Nobody

BPKS wrote: »
    Curious to know where they got the kegs from? Is it easy to deliver kegs without being noticed? Asking for a friend;)

Different scenario for me,but I converted the shed out the back into my personal pub.And as long as you have the draught system in place.It's easy to get kegs delivered from a few of the online shops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭saabsaab

You know where the money you pay them goes? Not a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,153 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

ingo1984 wrote: »
    No need for a pub license. Just get restaurant license. Permits you to sell alcohol whilst you are serving food. Serve food up until 11.30pm last orders, everyone out the door by 12.30am. Get restaurant license fairly easy. Be surprised how many pubs don't have a pub license but operate off a restaurant license.

This is complete rubbish.
    With a restaurant licence, over 50% of your turnover must be food - and you aren't allowed to serve people who aren't eating.

Advertisement