Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you have to be ethnically Irish to be considered Irish?

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭antfin

Gradius wrote: »
    "I'm a 7 year old and have no argument so I'll bow out here"

I like how you specifically don't believe in Irish ethnicity. Terribly convenient. Those beliefs, that's what it's all about. La la la.

I will say, your point on grammar was stimulating :p

Maybe learn to have a coherent and logical debate without resorting to personal insults and you'll get more engagement. You're coming across as the sort of person that was too clever for university so went to the school of life so now he needs to teach everyone else what's right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

antfin wrote: »
    Maybe learn to have a coherent and logical debate without resorting to personal insults and you'll get more engagement. You're coming across as the sort of person that was too clever for university so went to the school of life so now he needs to teach everyone else what's right.

You have said nothing of value.

You have avoided plain yes/no questions.

You have appealed to emotion over fact.

You have made the vaguest mentions of there being arguments, yet failed to elaborate on a single one.

You persistently present yourself as "arguing" and then permitting yourself to escape any argument.

You have mightily convenient "beliefs" without anything mentioned to back up those beliefs.

So yeah, it's worthy of derision. As for your comment on University, it implies that you have a university degree. A strange defence for one who has been utterly defeated to fall back upon.

Your guess, as if you wouldn't see it coming a mile off, is utterly wrong too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Where do you draw the line. The gang that settled in mount sandel could consider anyone who arrived after them a bunch of foreign invaders.

The Celts that lived here (invaders to the ancients who created many of our ancient structures) had a broad DNA diversity, that's before the Vikings and Norman's.
    For a start "Celts" is a bit of a historical and genetic misnomer and covers a large swathe of Europe, with similar enough cultures, but quite a wide genetic diversity. "Celts" didn't come here in any numbers, or at least few enough that they left zero trace in the genes of native Irish people. Vikings and Normans(who were basically the same peoples, with some northern French in the latter) had much more of an impact on the Irish genetics, but even here today not as much as is commonly expected.
    Those invading rulers are the ones that named the place Ireland and considered all the island inhabitants Irish.
    Actually the place had many names, pretty much all of which we know of were given by outsiders; Hibernia, Scotia, Iournia(SP), which then could be used internally. Eire which gave us Ireland was a goddess IIRC and only recorded in the medieval, though it may have a much older root. And the idea of a nation state like we think of them today was extremely fluid back then. It may have been called Hibernia or whatever, but not so much in the way we would consider it today. The Irish themselves thought far more clannishly(big shock) and were more about family, local area, province, rather than the island as a whole entity under one rule. That said those that travelled overseas, missionaries and the like were quite clear about the fact that they were Scotti or Eriugena(Irish born), as were those who spoke of them. For a Frank to claim he was Eriugena or vice versa would have been a WTF? moment.
    This is pretty much the case all over the world.
    Actually most populations around the Old World remain remarkably and surprisingly stable over time, even through periods of invasion and conquest, which is how the vast majority of cases of various cultures came together
    Celebrating cultures through arts, language and characteristics can be great and bring people together. Everyone is invited.

Making people feel like 'other' is a crappy waste of everyone's time.
    Sounds fantastic in theory, but again the breadth of human history shows us that disparate cultures rarely come together peacefully, or peacefully for long anyway. Where actual multicultural societies existed they did so under overarching imperial powers who were quite strict about too much coming together of cultures, especially "alien" ones.

As for Irish genetics and this "broad diversity" you speak of(Vikings were pretty narrow genetically too btw).
    Is ethnically Japanese a thing? Ethnically Persian? Ethnically Native American? Ethnically Congolese? With the exception of the Japanese, the rest would have had more back and forth and mixtures going on in their pasts than the Irish population. Here's an article from the Journal on the genetics of Ireland.

One of this study's authors says this:

For one, Irish people are, to a large degree, distinctly Irish.

Professor Gianpiero Cavalleri, who helped to devise the study, told TheJournal.ie: “In terms of the genetic diversity for Irish people, there’s actually very little. And the diversity we do see is very subtle.

?width=583&version=3745506

Compare the Irish population to England. More mixing going on in the latter. Our genes can even be narrowed down to provinces(and family names) within Ireland.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

These things are elastic, there's a certain type of Hibernia than thou sort here who'd reject Connolly, Larkin, Clarke, Paul McGrath, David O'Leary, Shane MacGowan and Dermot O'Leary on account of their birthplaces, I've always found these types have a preening grating chauvinism about being from here, many of them don't even live here themselves but prop up bars in some dismal shopfront Irish pub somewhere like Wood Green.

As far as I'm concerned someone who was born here or came here young, went through the schooling system, learnt the cupla focal, grew up among Irish friends in an Irish town even if they have Iraqi, Polish or African parentage can call themselves Irish.

Someone born outside the state to dual Irish parentage is also Irish, people of a further remove entitled to Irish citizenship are technically and legally Irish.

Even an English person of no Irish heritage who might have married an Irish person and has been here for decades can as well as they're acculturated to life here and paid into the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    If you are born in England you are English.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Se%C3%A1n_Nunan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    If you are born in England you are English.
    My brother was born in England, sent as a baby to relatives in Ireland, was raised there, educated there, worked all his life there. Paid his dues and is buried there. Considered himself to be Irish. Defining himself as Irish was important to him.
    As for me, I'm content to occasionally be considered Irish here, [still happens sometimes], and English when I visit my relatives in Cork. Doesn't bother me either way.

Advertisement