Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland is a pretend football country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

England = football
    Ireland = soccer

Wrong

F.A.I.

Football Association of Ireland

'Soccer' is for yanks and the GAA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Wrong

F.A.I.

Along with every other country that has their own indigenous code of football.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Wrong

F.A.I.

I don't get upset about the football/soccer thing-it's generally obvious from the context what sport people are talking about, but what's with this deluded insistence that nobody calls it soccer? We had "Soccer Republic" on RTÉ, and the FAI themselves use the term:

http://www.faischools.ie/interprovincial/news/2016/mar/wed/soccer-sports-scholarships
    https://www.fai.ie/domestic/fai-womens/aviva-soccer-sisters
    https://summersoccerschools.ie/home/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Both are fine. Context is key. Literally every team in this country has FC or AFC after it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Wrong

F.A.I.

And barstoolers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,452 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Wrong

F.A.I.

Did you really need to drag up this fight from page 2 on a 60 page thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

breezy1985 wrote: »

I was bored

• Registered Users Posts: 15,029 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I was watching a programme on BBC Four at the weekend about mods and rockers fighting on English beaches in 1964.

There is one clip where they show rockers in a club and two are at a pinball machine called "Soccer", obviously a pinball machine themed on the sport.
    I was going to take a screen shot for this very thread, but decided not to as I thought it would be daft to bring up a fight from page 2 of a 60 page thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I wonder where did the word "soccer" originated and how. Google time...

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Breezin

Omackeral wrote: »
    Both are fine. Context is key. Literally every team in this country has FC or AFC after it though.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with calling football soccer.

What is absolutely wrong is having a policy, as is clearly the case at RTÉ sport, in insisting on never calling it football because that name is kept in sacred reserve for the annual procession in blue that is GAA.

I don't know how the now killed-off Soccer Republic managed it, but they, and the odd rogue insertion by Tony O'Donogue, were the exception.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭cms88

It was called soccer first afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Wrong

F.A.I.

What sport is played by Dublin University Football Club? or Lansdowne FC?

Most rugby clubs originating from the 19th century are called FC. Then they started to be called RUFC (rugby union football club) or RFC (rugby football club). It's only the more recent ones that have the suffix RC.
    (They're the ones that don't let protestants in :) )

Abbreviation of "Association Football.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

What sport is played by Dublin University Football Club? or Lansdowne FC?

Most rugby clubs originating from the 19th century are called FC. Then they started to be called RUFC (rugby union football club) or RFC (rugby football club). It's only the more recent ones that have the suffix RC.
    (They're the ones that don't let protestants in :) )

Abbreviation of "Association Football.
    It isnt most rugby clubs founded in 19th century who are football clubs. Its only those who were founded before the IRFU were in 1879 with exceptions like Garryowen who call themselves FC despite being founded in 1884.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I, mostly, use soccer just to differentiate it from Gaelic football. It’s just easier. For some weird reason people seem to think “soccer” is some sort of insult.

Maybe we should all go back to calling it “Association Football”?

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

https://twitter.com/DubCityCouncil/status/1380459353115914240

Well this is good news, a step closer to reality, wish we didn't have to share with Shels though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Well this is good news, a step closer to reality, wish we didn't have to share with Shels though.

Nor we with you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Good step in the right direction, if they could get a few more stadiums like this around the country It would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭landofthetree

League of Ireland teams and other small countries were excluded from the CL qualifiers from 94/95 to 96/97.

Where were the protests and the media outrage back then?

League of Ireland teams and other small countries were excluded from the CL qualifiers from 94/95 to 96/97.

Where were the protests and the media outrage back then?

Do you have any info on that. Would love to know what their excuse was

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Good step in the right direction, if they could get a few more stadiums like this around the country It would be great.

Good stadia doesn't bring in the fans though... Limerick played in Thomond Park a few years ago on front of a couple of hundred people!

https://twitter.com/SaveTolkaPark/status/1384190263506051085?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

• Advertisement

When I started following LOI Tolka could hold about 10,000 and Dalymount about 15,000. This is been traded in for one 6000 seat stadium that is going to cost north of €35million.
    Something is not adding up.

dan1895 wrote: »
    When I started following LOI Tolka could hold about 10,000 and Dalymount about 15,000. This is been traded in for one 6000 seat stadium that is going to cost north of €35million.
    Something is not adding up.

They don't hold 10/15k anymore because they are falling down. Parts are literally condemned. Comparisons to Limerick though is wrong as Thomond Park was always temporary and Limericks issues with fan numbers is very different to the Dublin clubs

I completely understand Shells not wanting to move to a rival ground. Would be different maybe if it was a new stadium for both with no history

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

Just my take on the 'soccer' and 'football' terms.

It's not just us. In Australia, Aussie Rules is 'football', in America NFL is 'football'. Yes, they've taken the word and used it for their one games.

https://worldfootballindex.com/2017/03/history-of-the-word-soccer/#:~:text=The%20word%20%E2%80%9Csoccer%E2%80%9D%20originated%20in,of%20the%20word%20%E2%80%9Cassociation%E2%80%9D.

According to this, it all started in England to differentiate rugby and football.

The word “soccer” originated in England, and was originally used to differentiate association football from its rugby cousin. Just as rugby football was shortened to “rugger”, the game of association football became known as “soccer” thanks to a shortening of the word “association”.

You learn something new every day.

They don't hold 10/15k anymore because they are falling down. Parts are literally condemned.

I know that but the point is there is the physical space there for those capacities and really would it cost €35 million to bring both grounds up to a decent standard suitable for the league of Ireland. Keep in mind the new Dalymount isn't suitable for group stage european football.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,029 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Cal4567 wrote: »
    Just my take on the 'soccer' and 'football' terms.

It's not just us. In Australia, Aussie Rules is 'football', in America NFL is 'football'. Yes, they've taken the word and used it for their one games.

https://worldfootballindex.com/2017/03/history-of-the-word-soccer/#:~:text=The%20word%20%E2%80%9Csoccer%E2%80%9D%20originated%20in,of%20the%20word%20%E2%80%9Cassociation%E2%80%9D.

According to this, it all started in England to differentiate rugby and football.

The word “soccer” originated in England, and was originally used to differentiate association football from its rugby cousin. Just as rugby football was shortened to “rugger”, the game of association football became known as “soccer” thanks to a shortening of the word “association”.

You learn something new every day.

It's even more diluted than that.

In NSW and Queensland "football" or "footie" is Rugby League.
    In Victoria or South Australia "football" or "footie" is AFL.

dan1895 wrote: »
    I know that but the point is there is the physical space there for those capacities and really would it cost €35 million to bring both grounds up to a decent standard suitable for the league of Ireland. Keep in mind the new Dalymount isn't suitable for group stage european football.

Suitable for LOI and suitable for the Champions League are incompatible it it's capacity that's the issue.

I know it's a few years back now but Tallaght cost €12 million so 35 seems like a reasonable estimate to refurbish the other 2

Suitable for LOI and suitable for the Champions League are incompatible it it's capacity that's the issue.

I know it's a few years back now but Tallaght cost €12 million so 35 seems like a reasonable estimate to refurbish the other 2

Yes 35 million for the refurbishment of two stadia isn't bad. However the reality is that is the current cost for the refurbishment of one with the other being sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Do you have any info on that. Would love to know what their excuse was

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994%E2%80%9395_UEFA_Champions_League
    24 teams entered the competition: the UEFA Champions League holders, AC Milan, as well as 23 best-ranked national champions according to UEFA club ranking. The title holders and other 7 best-ranked national champions received a bye to the group stage, while the national champions ranked 9–24 entered in the qualifying round. The remaining national champions were only allowed to participate in UEFA cup.

They expanded the CL from 2 groups to 4 that season. That was the excuse at the time. Too many fixtures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

Who thinks Ireland is a football country? Except a couple of a delusional Irish fans nobody equates Ireland with football.

Croatia is roughly the same size as Ireland has produced both much better domestic & international teams, and besides a very small handful of players like Keane, Irwin & McGrath we've had to nick our best players from England & our best managers from England & Italy, and our best football pundits of a floor in a Dublin pub.

• Advertisement

Good stadia doesn't bring in the fans though... Limerick played in Thomond Park a few years ago on front of a couple of hundred people!

Good luck with the campaign, hate to see community infrastructure ripped up.

Advertisement