Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland is a pretend football country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

From 1801 on, Ireland was definitely not a country. That's why we fought a war to become one.

Hmmm, I don't agree and I doubt that anyone about at the time would have regarded Ireland as a non-country. Just like almost everyone atm regards England, Scotland, Greenland, Netherlands etc as countries.

A country does not have to be a sovereign independent state. There are more definitions of the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Hmmm, I don't agree and I doubt that anyone about at the time would have regarded Ireland as a non-country. Just like almost everyone atm regards England, Scotland, Greenland, Netherlands etc as countries.

A country does not have to be a sovereign independent state. There are more definitions of the word.

The song goes "Ireland long a province be a nation once again" not "Ireland long a country be a different kind of country."

Why wouldn't the Netherlands be a country?

I think many Irish people discredit our nation by comparing ourselves to a mere province like Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Going back to the OP, until the soccer supporters in Ireland start to take it seriously then why should anyone else?

Blaming everything on Delaney is a cop out. He was ably supported and abetted by many in the game who only care about their own patch.

Massive stadium, massive TV coverage, massive media coverage, plenty of public support. If its not working then the fault lies internally.

The FAI had plenty of money, that didn't fix anything. Like other countries this needs a cultural change.

Instead of waiting for the UK to uncover players for us, we need to create the environment to create and develop them ourselves.

But that takes time, and planning, and patience and plenty of 'failures'. It takes investment in coaching and ensuring talented kids are given every opportunity to maximise their potential. Promising players should be taken centrally and sold to foreign clubs such that every level gets a return not just the selling club.

And ser up academies with European clubs such that players get to experience different training methods, coaching styles, playing styles. 6 month loan spells, to give them a taste.

It is neither easy or simple but other countries show us how it can be done.

And invest in Womens football. Far easier to make improvements there are it is not so competitive (I mean in terms of number of teams, resources etc, not the individual matches). Get some pride from being a top team, that will drive orhers to match it.

The song goes "Ireland long a province be a nation once again" not "Ireland long a country be a different kind of country."

Why wouldn't the Netherlands be a country?

I think many Irish people discredit our nation by comparing ourselves to a mere province like Scotland.

The Ireland that's referred to as a province in that song is still not a country by your take it on it.

Also poetic licence. At the time, and still, Ireland has four provinces.

Re: Netherlands
    This article is about the sovereign state. For the constituent country with the same name, see Netherlands...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,039 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Ireland isn’t a football country. Some countries might have football as their primary sport, but Ireland isn’t one of those countries.

The domestic league isn’t popular and the national team isn’t good. I don’t follow soccer but I do follow other sports. And I don’t follow my teams because they win all the time. I follow them because I enjoy the whole event and it makes it sweeter when they win. It must be a bit tougher to be an Ireland soccer fan but being a fan isn’t really about winning.

I would never describe Ireland as a football country. We don’t really have one international sport in the way New Zealand is a rugby country (thought they also play other sports like soccer and cricket) or Argentina loves soccer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I don't really agree with the opinion from some posters here that anyone who have influences of the EPL being completely ignored are inappropriate at this point while we are talking about the reshaping of the FAI while we try to improve the status of the domestic game in the future. My point is that if people here attempt to ignore the opinions of others who have given their time & commitment into shaping the local & domestic football scene in the past that have an influence from the EPL. We really cannot shut that influence off with a snap of the fingers. That style of culture in Irish football has been so interwoven into the fabric of the domestic game over the past 3 decades; it will inevitably collapse into nothing if the external influences are not there to support it in the future.

If you look into how the EPL has helped shaped the game right into the present day; it has given a lot of benefits to offer at the present time to all young kids living here who have given their time & commitment into the sport. It has given them a life that gives them a sense of self-worth that helps them to keep active within their local communities & make a lot of friends well into adulthood. Some of those kids later on in life will have great potential to play for the national team if they get older & get called up to play for a championship or EPL club in the UK. Those individuals will have a great life later on to maybe continue their style of play into a potentially lucrative football career in the future if they work hard to improve themselves in the sport.

If people here give opinions that will try to undo all of that good work with others who give their time & energy into supporting each club around the country by saying that you are giving influences from the EPL for far too long now, if you do that again you will be put on the ignore list straight away. That is not really an appropriate opinion to give at this time because I think that type of dialogue being discussed between people will cause a dangerous precedent in making the future of Irish football much worse than now. It will create a catastrophic domino effect in damaging the status of the domestic game in the future.

I have some family members from the past who have gone & played for schoolboys league & local teams here over the past 20 to 30 years. They have done that while they supported Liverpool since they were young kids. That type of drive & ambition in them has allowed themselves the opportunity to play & be successful for teams within their local communities back then. It has paid off with some benefits with them in winning some trophies in their earlier football careers. They both works as mechanics now & are doing well. And also you have to think of the other Irish people who live outside of Ireland at this current time. They will probably have young kids themselves who have made big commitments to play in foreign football clubs which will give them more foreign influences in how they improve their style of play which could make it spread to the domestic scene here if it was that badly needed. There is a lot of benefits in expanding that reach of infleunce into the Irish domestic game rather than just sticking with the EPL.

These so called plastic football fans who give off these opinions that anyone with an influence in following the EPL should be ignored probably have never ever given their time & commitment to play in the game & should be ignored themselves by others who follows the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

The Ireland that's referred to as a province in that song is still not a country by your take it on it.

Also poetic licence. At the time, and still, Ireland has four provinces.

Re: Netherlands

Interesting to see the Dutch use words in the same bizarre way as Brits.

Why isn't Ireland a country now? Because it's partioned? The majority is independent. Indeed, Ireland has and had four provinces, but it functioned as a province within the UK. As Scotland, for instance, does now.

Interesting to see the Dutch use words in the same bizarre way as Brits.

Why isn't Ireland a country now? Because it's partioned? The majority is independent. Indeed, Ireland has and had four provinces, but it functioned as a province within the UK. As Scotland, for instance, does now.

Perhaps your take on the use of the word country is bizarre. The great thing about the English language is its flexibility which can be fuzziness in some instances. Most people can validly use country to mean a sovereign state when referring to Ireland (just ROI) and also a different thing altogether when also referring to Ireland (the whole island) or England etc.

It’s also interesting that you appear to be able stretch the word province well beyond its actual meaning but can’t accept more that than the first sense of the definition of the word country. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭upandcumming

My husband went to a game a few years ago under a “stand” that he said looked like a woodwork room from a technical school, and virtually every time he opened his mouth he was jeered at because of his upper middle class accent and perceived poshness. Not to mention that you never see women or POC at LoI games. I think they really need to work on being more inclusive at those matches

This is up there with the line about settled people going onto the sites to dump their rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Well a country does have to be sovereign. A nation does not have to be sovereign. Kurdish are a nation of people with no country.

The island of Ireland can be referred to as a nation as there is a nation of Irish people occupying it. The same as England Scotland and wales but none are counties. ROI and the UK are countries as they are sovereign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Is the revamped Dalymount ever going to happen? Tallaght looked good on tv last night. Ive never been I only go to Bohs but whats it like for matches? Do they have bars and stuff?

I can’t see it ever happening, no. Definitely not to the plans that were shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I can’t see it ever happening, no. Definitely not to the plans that were shown.

There isn't the support base to justify it.

Irish people don't support LOI teams. No getting away from that.

I think Bohs def has the support base, and better facilities would attract more fans

• Registered Users Posts: 10,601 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I think Bohs def has the support base, and better facilities would attract more fans

If they keep up their anti racism, pro immigration, fight against homelessness and other human rights “issues” they will certainly attract more support.

I think the “problem” there is that it might not be the right kind of supporter for the older, more established, fans who don’t agree with the club’s new “ethos”.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Most people who go are just there for the football and the craic of a night out. The woke stuff gets great publicity and it’s worked a treat from the pov of revenue and rubbing people up the wrong way.

The stadium itself is a bit gick but it’s part of the allure tbh. It’s a complete throwback to yesteryear and the swatches of English/Scottish/European visitors tend to love it for that reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,847 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

If they keep up their anti racism, pro immigration, fight against homelessness and other human rights “issues” they will certainly attract more support.

I think the “problem” there is that it might not be the right kind of supporter for the older, more established, fans who don’t agree with the club’s new “ethos”.
    Well if they are against fighting homelessness and racism then to be honest the more established fans can go F themselves

The woke thing and the craft beer for sale etc attracts new fans from the neighbourhood, you have to be pretty well off to own a place nearby these days and places like Cabra are becoming gentrified.
    I don't think the old school fans could care less about the issues they raise though, if people like my uncle are anything to go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,090 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

There is a piece in the RTE website this morning about LOI ground redevelopment and Dalymount is covered in it.

From a quick reading of it the redevelopment is not popular with some fans as it might take away from the character of the place.

Typical of the backward thinking from soccer fans.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2021/0401/1207484-grounds-for-redevelopment-modernising-loi-stadiums/

I know the old place has memories and all but I can’t see how anyone would want half a stadium over a new one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

We don’t expect to go to airports, cinemas or shopping centers from 30-50 years ago but football stadiums, at least in Ireland, it’s ok if they are complete delapidated.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,090 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I know the old place has memories and all but I can’t see how anyone would want half a stadium over a new one.

Because following soccer in the lower and less popular leagues requires drudgery and sacrifice.

You are not allowed to enjoy the comforts other might expect, if you do your not a real fan.

Putting in the commitment to endure bad facilities differentiates you form the glory hunters who follow popular high profile teams and leagues.

Because following soccer in the lower and less popular leagues requires drudgery and sacrifice.

You are not allowed to enjoy the comforts other might expect, if you do your not a real fan.

Putting in the commitment to endure bad facilities differentiates you form the glory hunters who follow popular high profile teams and leagues.

Even speaking as a fan of a LOI club that doesn’t follow the EPL at all (and that would happily sit in Tallaght over Dalymount in better days) I think you’re bang on there. There’s definitely an element of that to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,847 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Even speaking as a fan of a LOI club that doesn’t follow the EPL at all (and that would happily sit in Tallaght over Dalymount in better days) I think you’re bang on there. There’s definitely an element of that to it.

You get that with non successful English clubs too. Your team can't win anything but at least you are a "real" fan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭trashcan

I dunno about that. I’d love Richmond to be upgraded, or would have loved the Richmond Arena thing to happen. What I don’t want though, is for Pats to move to Tallaght, or somewhere else miles from our base.

I thought they were building apartments at Richmond and sharing dalymount?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭trashcan

I thought they were building apartments at Richmond and sharing dalymount?

Nope, dunno where you heard that. The plan is for Shels to share Dalymount. Pats wanted the land at Michael’s Estate, across the road from Richmond, for a development that would include a stadium, social housing and other amenities. Part of the deal would have been to give Richmond to the council in return. The Council, in their wisdom, said no.

Doh yeah I was thinking of Tolka, Richmond road and all that. Are they not building on Tolka?

Or, more likely in Ireland, they’ll get Tolka to build on, have a host of delays and promises, and send the two clubs into a never to be redeveloped Dalymount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

There is a piece in the RTE website this morning about LOI ground redevelopment and Dalymount is covered in it.

From a quick reading of it the redevelopment is not popular with some fans as it might take away from the character of the place.

Typical of the backward thinking from soccer fans.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2021/0401/1207484-grounds-for-redevelopment-modernising-loi-stadiums/
    Keep Rovers at Milltown!

Advertisement