Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Great British Bake Off 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    What's "figgy pudding" when it's at home? :confused:

It's an older version of Christmas pudding without as much dried fruit, afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,532 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Delighted Henry got star baker. He's fast becoming my favourite. Closely followed by rosie.

Sorry to see Michael go though, he's so lovely.

If only David would properly fk up, and just get lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Delighted Henry got star baker. He's fast becoming my favourite. Closely followed by rosie.

Sorry to see Michael go though, he's so lovely.

If only David would properly fk up, and just get lost.

I feel the exact same as you re: the contestants.

I didn't like Rosie but she did grow on me a bit tonight.
    I was sorry to see Michael go. I was hoping he'd make it to the final.
    I really like Henry. He's come out of himself so much as the weeks have gone on.
    I like Steph as well.

Fcuk up? I wish David would rev up and fcuk off altogether! He's just bloody smug. I can see him making it to the final though. Smug git :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Another week of Alice is fine by me anyway.

Michael finally started to grow on me this week and I was sad to see him go. I really like Steph and another good week from her. Don't like any of the rest of them. Rosie's not awful. David's the worst! :P

Nothing tonight looked particularly tasty. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I quite liked Michael, there was something endearing about him.
    Was there tears in Paul's eyes at the end of the episode with Michael being sent home??

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

What's "figgy pudding" when it's at home? :confused:

I've only heard of it because it's mentioned in the second verse of We Wish You a Merry Christmas, I've never eaten it though.

I can't remember whose bake it was, but Prue actually said something wasn't sweet enough this week?! Since she joined the programme I've found it weird how she's always saying things are too sweet, aren't worth the calories etc - like, who agrees to judge a baking contest if they don't like sweet things? - so for it to not be sweet enough for Prue they must have really mucked it up.

Henry telling Paul to shut up when he offered him a handshake was comedy gold :D

I'd never heard of kek lapis Sarawak, what an incredibly fiddly looking cake! I felt very sorry for Rosie burning her cakes under the grill, I think it would have been an amazing cake if she'd got it right. Her swan decorations were so well done. I love her chats with Noel (Eggy Rubber! :pac:), she seems to get his sense of humour. Whenever Noel tries joking around with Alice she just seems confused, she's very pretty but I'm not sure that she's much craic. Although Noel really did seem to be getting in Steph's way, I felt like if the camera wasn't there she might have told him to piss off.

I quite liked Michael as a contestant, but I think he was the right one to go this week. It could have been Alice if she hadn't done such a good showstopper.

Pastry week next week, I'm glad we're back to having a classic theme.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I agree it was Michael's turn to go and if it had been anyone else I'd have been very annoyed on their behalf. He's been struggling a bit for the last 2-3 weeks. I did like Henry a lot and was delighted when he got his Paul Hollywood handshake.

I found when they were doing the technical that the camera work seemed to focus more on the mistakes - oh look at them all bursting open - to the detriment of other things. I don't think we properly saw anyone putting in the chocolate with the ricotta and no close ups of them closing the parcels - the most important part as it turned out - but loads and loads of close ups of the pastries floating in oil. It's a bit annoying at times.

Still no idea who will win but I think my money would have to go on Steph at the moment.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Anyone else watching pastry week?

• Advertisement

Scarinae wrote: »

Will have to catch up later, stuck in Saorviewland for the evening :(

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Ralphyroo

Scarinae wrote: »

I am, nobody was very impressive. Delighted David didn't get star Baker, I can't stand him! Sad to see Henry go but he didn't do well at all this week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I like them all ! Sad to see Henry go he was great craic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I'll miss Henry, he was adorable. I can't warm to David at all, I find him a bit smug. I like Alice and Steph and I'm still not sure about Rosie.

Noel and Sandi are so lovely to all the contestant, it's nice to watch. They seem to be genuine friends.

I really like Steph. She's a great baker and I was delighted she got star baker again. Her carousel was lovely. Although agree the squares were a little clunky.

Not sad to see Henry go and delighted smug David didn't get SB. Steph is the only one I have time for really.

Next week looks like there could be some amazing looking bakes.

David's a gowl. I hate him.

Peed off that Henry went. They distinctly pointed out in the technical that his DEFINITELY had a base and Rosie's hadn't so why did he come last and she got 2nd? They really liked his signature (especially Prue) and pointed out that hers was burnt.

I wanted to see a Michael, Steph, Henry final. If Steph goes out next week I'll be really disgusted. If smug David wins, oh let's not even go there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Ralphyroo

David's a gowl. I hate him.

Peed off that Henry went. They distinctly pointed out in the technical that his DEFINITELY had a base and Rosie's hadn't so why did he come last and she got 2nd? They really liked his signature (especially Prue) and pointed out that hers was burnt.

I wanted to see a Michael, Steph, Henry final. If Steph goes out next week I'll be really disgusted. If smug David wins, oh let's not even go there!

I found the base thing weird too, it was mentioned when they judged each technical but yet rosie still got 2nd. Going to miss Henry, I only really liked him, steph, Michael and witchy lady this series.

Finally catching up on tonight's episode......

Yet more "oh, but I don't dooooooooooo pastryyyyyyy". WTF are you doing in GBBO then?? :mad:

Dunno if I agree with savoury tarte tatins.... can't get my head past caramelised, sticky, sweet apples and chewy pastry.... and now I'm drooling on the laptop.

Who was that doing the time check???

Poor Steph looks properly shook during this technical!

The Moroccan pies are about to come out of the ovens, so back to the telly..... I wonder will someone's head get blown off with one of them???

OMG I just want to slap David looking soooo smug at his Moroccan pie :mad:

How long did it take them to come up with a Vertical Pie as a concept??? Ridiculous!

But oh my word, that ham that Henry is hacking into looks DELICIOUS! Drooling again......

ETA - hah, Paul and Sandi clearly agree with me!

Hold on a minute here now.....

I thought when they said vertical pie, that they had to be self-supporting. They even went on about how the pastry would have to be thin enough to be lovely, but thick enough to support the other pies on top.

But they're all putting in scaffolding!

I'm calling shenanigans.

I hope David gets minus marks for not putting a top on his pies. THAT'S NOT A PIE! (Or that it falls off his workbench, or collapses, or anything that will wipe that bloody smirk off his face :mad::mad:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

You're being too subtle, Heidi. Just spit it out, do you like David or not??! :pac:

What is next week? I couldn't work out the theme. Transparent week?!

Posy wrote: »
    You're being too subtle, Heidi. Just spit it out, do you like David or not??! :pac:

Did they say aquatic week or did I imagine that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Henry really shot himself in the foot. His pie looked disgusting. Seemed fairly basic that he needed a thinner crust and to have some bit of moisture. Would have been enough for him to go through even with a simplistic design.

The judging on the technical made no sense. Surely Rosie was the least technically correct as it had no base

Awww, I'm very sad indeed to see Henry go, I was getting fonder of him by the week! It's hard to believe he's only 20 - he's only a child!!

He was definitely the weakest of this week, though, so can't really complain.

Agree with posters above complaining about the judging of the Moroccan pies... bit suspect, tbh.

Steph definitely positioning herself as the one to beat.

Posy wrote: »

:D
    Did they say aquatic week or did I imagine that?

Didn't hear aquatic, but can't remember what word they actually used. Looked like fiendishly intricate bakes though, so should be fun!

Disappointed Henry went this week over Rosie. I know Henry hadn't a great week but he's been quite good for a young fella so far.
    There's something about Rosie that annoys me (apart from her voice) - she comes across as unsure and not knowing what she's doing. I think she's been in the competition far too long.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Accidentally opened the thread and saw who left even though I haven't watched it yet - doh! Ah poor Henry. I will have to catch up later.

Jaysus, Tom Allen is insufferable :mad:

That lady Mary with her bread bakes had great patience not to smack him in the gob. (although why were non-pastry bakes allowed in pastry week? one would have to wonder.....)

Closely followed by the panel, who wanted a taste of the chocolate cake (who wouldn't have?) and basically got told to fk off.

Honestly, he's run his course at this stage.

As, I think, An Extra Slice might have as well.....it's so predictable and formulaic at this stage.

Jaysus, Tom Allen is insufferable :mad:

That lady Mary with her bread bakes had great patience not to smack him in the gob. (although why were non-pastry bakes allowed in pastry week? one would have to wonder.....)

Closely followed by the panel, who wanted a taste of the chocolate cake (who wouldn't have?) and basically got told to fk off.

Honestly, he's run his course at this stage.

As, I think, An Extra Slice might have as well.....it's so predictable and formulaic at this stage.

Insufferable x 100

I don’t watch Exta Slice because Tom Allen is so unwatchable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,459 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Who was that doing the time check???
    ?

Adam Hills of the Last Leg

• Advertisement

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Insufferable x 100

I don’t watch Exta Slice because Tom Allen is so unwatchable
    I watch the beginning with the panel, then the awful viewer's cakes, then I fast forward right to the end with the eliminated person's interview. So if I ever do watch Extra Slice, it takes about 10 or so minutes!
    Can't be sitting through Tom Allen and 9 ad breaks!

Holy god, Rosie winning the technical was hilarious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Rosie pulling off the “ah I failed that exam I didn’t do any study” but ends up top of the class spiel.
    Hate that in a person.
    Good she was called on it too.

I hate blue food , especially blue cakes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

razorblunt wrote: »
    Rosie pulling off the “ah I failed that exam I didn’t do any study” but ends up top of the class spiel.
    Hate that in a person.

Think the editing played a part in that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,387 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Alice's face contortions were great :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Alice's face contortions were great :D

Mean to focus on her appearance, but I find her neck weird.

Rosie is yet another participant kicked out after winning the technical. Odd.

razorblunt wrote: »
    Hate that in a person.

How was she pulled on it?

Oh I knew smug git would end up in the final. Bet you he'll bloody well win it now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I seem to be alone but I quite like David! I know many people feel he's smug but I find him quite funny and chilled when others around him are flapping. I've liked several of his ideas for bakes too, and enjoyed his frustration at coming second in so many technicals!
    I'm sick of Steph making sure everyone knows how nervous and unsure she is all the time and often making out she's less adept at the challenges than her end result would suggest - her self-depreciation was sweet at first but just doesn't ring true for me anymore.
    This evening when Prue said "you really are a good baker Steph" and she had to bury her head in her hands in response... It grated on me, to be honest!
    I can take or leave Alice tbh. Her flavours are great but I haven't warmed to her particularly.
    Rosie I found weirdly adorable. I was surprised to hear her mention her husband tonight - I kind of had her down as a cat lady (in the nicest way possible!)
    Looking forward to the final but not at all as much as in previous years.

I don't mind Daniel either. I don't get why so many dislike him. If I was him and kept coming second, I'd probably have had a meltdown.

Guess because he doesn't get stressed people take a disliking to him. He's also very helpful, he's always helping other bakers when they're under pressure

siblers wrote: »
    I don't mind Daniel either. I don't get why so many dislike him. If I was him and kept coming second, I'd probably have had a meltdown
    You like him, but not enough to know his name. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Have enjoyed the bakeoff for the last several years but honestly I think it's gone beyond amateur bakers in their kitchen at home. Honestly lost some of the appeal for me when the 'technicals' would even throw a professional baker yet our candidates turn out something very close to the desired product. Not terribly believable tbh.
    My money would be on Steph for the win as she is consistently the best whatever about her "I'm not that good really'. Some people genuinely find it hard to believe they are very good at they do.
    David is a very likeable sort in my mind , I tend not to judge people on looks. He's helpful and a good sort just not as good as Steph.
    Alice also very good when she concentrates, slightly grating personality tbh but maybe that's just me.
    Finally it's a pity it's still not on the Beep, despise the breaks and I really liked Mary Berry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,235 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'd watch a weekly show of just Alice being judged on things and her reaction to it. Watching her eyes and head move like that is just mesmerising

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

They forgot about Henry pretty quickly.

My favourite contestant ever is still Selasi. Don’t think anyone will ever match him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Addle wrote: »
    They forgot about Henry pretty quickly.

My favourite contestant ever is still Selasi. Don’t think anyone will ever match him.

Selasi was great but I loved Tamal. So witty and such a strong contestant.

Selasi was great but I loved Tamal. So witty and such a strong contestant.

Tamal was lovely. I think he should have won it that year and not Nadiya.

I still think the best thing I've ever seen on Bake Off though was Paul Jagger's bread lion sculpture. Absolutely stunning creation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I still think the best thing I've ever seen on Bale Off though was Paul Jagger's bread lion sculpture. Absolutely stunning creation.

Watched that episode recently again on Netflix for precisely that one piece of incredible baking. It was brilliant on Paul's behalf. Gifted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I still think the best thing I've ever seen on Bake Off though was Paul Jagger's bread lion sculpture. Absolutely stunning creation.

It was a really strong final three but Nadiya killed the final. There couldn’t really have been another winner going by their “best on the weekend” rule. Both Ian and Tamal made big mistakes in the signature, greater than Nadiya’s technical issues.

The lion hasn’t been topped. I remember at the time watching Paul put it together and thinking “Nah, this’ll be crap”. Very happy to be proven wrong. What was even more impressive was that it all tasted great too. I wanted to shake him for messing up the technical bake. I think he should have won Star Baker though. Ryan won it in Series Two based solely off his showstopper, it was that good.

I must go and binge watch the old episodes of Bake Off over the winter - I don't think I watched the first few series, I can't remember when I started watching it but certainly not from the start. Be interesting to see if/how the show has changed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement