Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Island - Bear Grylls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Thought last nights episode felt a bit contrived at times.

Felt sorry for Vic. He came across as a bit of spa initially but he had his reasons imo.

Ocean fishing for 4 hours on his tod isn't exactly fun. Then he sees a few of the rest doing f*ck all. Thats bound to set you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Trond wrote: »
    Thought last nights episode felt a bit contrived at times.

Felt sorry for Vic. He came across as a bit of spa initially but he had his reasons imo.

Ocean fishing for 4 hours on his tod isn't exactly fun. Then he sees a few of the rest doing f*ck all. Thats bound to set you off.

Felt something was off about the episode last night too and I guess contrived sums it up. Again the editing is very misleading (I'm no expert but it's quite jarring), they showed Vic out on his own fishing and it was getting quite dark, they then alluded that much wasn't been done in camp by cutting to one of the lads sweeping around the fire, yet in this sweeping clip they sun was blaring on his back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Only half watched the show last night but I think I would have been pissed of like vic to come back to the camp and lads swimming and they couldnt gather a few coconuts.If it wasn't for vic they would stave.Some of the lads there couldnt feed them selfs never mind the whole camp.

You're right in what your saying but at the same time by 'going on strike' as such he was cutting of his nose to spite his face. He was going to go hungry too. He could have said his piece that he wasnt happen and suggest that others get stuck in but continue to fish. My wife made an interesting point - he is one of the guys that appears frequently on these types of shows. That whole freak out could have been him getting his 15 minutes this time around.

Ocean fishing for 4 hours on his tod isn't exactly fun.

I for one would beg to differ ;):pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

SeaFields wrote: »

I for one would beg to differ ;):pac:

Yes. Its not like anyone made him do it.

There's something a little "odd" here too. I can see his point slightly - he's put his time in and everyone else is off swimming and having manicures - But his little strop would not have worked at all if he hadn't caught anything.

He had a good day. Never done but I can imagine having caught yours and everyone else's supper must be pretty satisfying. Maybe he felt he didn't get enough "Well done Vic." "Vic you're a great bloke."

Maybe this is his 15 minutes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I did wonder about it but didn't want to say it for fear of being called sexist, but I reckon in the back of the heads of a few of the women the idea of losing some weight was quite attractive.

• Advertisement

Well said by one of the camera ladies about not celebrating weakness.

First genuine leaving of the island here with Abby.

What was the story with the "we found 2 tins of beans"?

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭ItsChecoTime

Jeez the girls are useless, could they not have made a bed for the girl with the bad back so she didn't have to sleep on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Chase the Fekkin pig

There was a lot of hesitation there. Once the pig started screeching it became a bit too real for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,078 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Chase the Fekkin pig

throw the machette at the pig!

Does anyone else find this very funny at times?

• Advertisement

Next time Beat plants a pig he'll have to make sure it's roasted and all

Next time Beat plants a pig he'll have to make sure it's roasted and all

I think a KFC family bucket washes up on the beach later in the show.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I think a KFC family bucket washes up on the beach later in the show.

They'd still manage to mess that up!

Sure they will have the pig by close of business tonight as usual

The pig has been given sleeping tablets

I think it was just full and lethargic from eating all the food the women keep on missing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

I'm still on last nights but - Bear's commentary

"Today is the twentieth aniversary of Vic's first date with his wife" and because of that Vic has to go for a walk in the jungle and find himself.

I've never heard anything quite as ridiculous. The only reason we remember our first date was that it was so awful :o

And then they go and cut the head off and I presume leave it behind. Pigs cheek, pigs ears, pigs nose I'm sure if you were starving

Ha, knew they'd pull the plug in the women eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,078 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

When they where walking proud as punch with the pigs carcass (head ripped off ha) and stick breaks in half,its just a comedy of errors.

• Advertisement

"It's a matter of survival", no it isn't, let's call a spade a spade it's a matter of keeping yourself on a tv show for a couple of weeks at least.
    With the move to Wednesday next week I wonder are they in fact going to pull the plug for real?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

How come the women have yukka (?) and the men don't?

The men found Yukka but they were all rotten...or was that last year, I only watched last years last week so could be confusing things

First thing I thought was maybe it's the one previously caught in the trap and was injured as a result.

Then again I was expecting your ones bird trap to catch a turkey.

Addle wrote: »
    How come the women have yukka (?) and the men don't?

Different islands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

Different islands.

Bear actually said the yukka was not native and was put in the island. Odd if they didn't put the same on the blokes island. Maybe they just didn't spot it.

I think it was just full and lethargic from eating all the food the women keep on missing.

I keep shouting at the TV every time a delicious crab walks IN TO the women's camp. Eat it!

With the exception of a couple they would die if truly alone. No shelter, can't find food right in front of them, won't collect more water than what is immediately needed, can't dry sticks by fire to make sure fuel ready... Generally terribly disorganised

...why is the nurse the only one without tic bites? What's her secret

throw the machette at the pig!

I think if we were on the island together, there would be a lot of complaints. I would kick the sh i te out of the pig before I let my dinner run off. I would not go hungy, but the vegans would not be amused #realsurvival

I think the girls hesitation wasn't fear of the pig... But of what people would think if them!

I did wonder about it but didn't want to say it for fear of being called sexist, but I reckon in the back of the heads of a few of the women the idea of losing some weight was quite attractive.

Burning protein from internal organs and raised heart rates are some serious side effects of their terrible attempt of survival. Somebody could easily collapse or worse. Their weight loss couldn't be further from healthy or sustainable.

Next year, I expect them to be wearing wireless medical monitors like rugby players. And watch them get pulled when they become at risk. The production team can't afford to cause serious harm (or death) they would be negligent.

• Advertisement

Can't this thread be moved to after hours?

So much more action in After Hours
    .. I didn't even know there was a reality TV corner on boards and the thread on after hours was much more active???

Its one if the most popular shows on TV (last years show was the most popular show on c4 all year!)

Advertisement