Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Island - Bear Grylls

Options
  • 01-05-2014 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,882 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-island-with-bear-grylls

Starts next week, looks very promising especiallly for any other Survivor fans that hang around here.

13 amateurs dumped on an island and left to fend for themselves, hopefully it'll be as realistic as possible but with Bear Grylls involved its hard to know, he can be very irritating the way he's always stumbling across old boats, ropes, bow and arrow making materials etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Thargor wrote: »
    http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-island-with-bear-grylls

Starts next week, looks very promising especiallly for any other Survivor fans that hang around here.

13 amateurs dumped on an island and left to fend for themselves, hopefully it'll be as realistic as possible but with Bear Grylls involved its hard to know, he can be very irritating the way he's always stumbling across old boats, ropes, bow and arrow making materials etc.

He had a reality show on NBC last summer (advertised as a Survivor like show) which was absolute cack - I'd imagine this to be a UK version of that format. Hope I'm wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,882 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Ah right, didnt know that. Not surprised though I dont really like the guy even though survival is my fav tv genre. At least theres new eps of Naked and Marooned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Just watched the first episode,
    It's very good.
    It's not a game show in any
    Way and bear is not with them,
    Only time you see him is when
    He's talking about the things
    The lads are going through.
    Definitely gonna watch the
    Rest of this!

That was brilliant, love the ex-cop guy, he should be entertaining. Looking forward to seeing them when the food and water starts to run out.

Yea, going starkers into the sea. :)
    I can see a lot of arguments
    Happening. The telesales guy
    Has done nothing but moan.
    Can't wait for next week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Watched the first episode of this and enjoyed it, very not gameshow.

I was surprised at how little resources they were given to start, I kinda thought they'd at least be put by a stream with fresh water. It really is going for the proper abandoned on an island approach.

And just the right amount of Bear also, too much of him can get sometimes get annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Jaysus Christ, many of the participants wearing glasses and numerous glass bottles washed up on the beach yet they spent a whole day with a bow trying to start a fire.
    They'll probably be feasting on each others brains by the end of the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Watched it and liked it.

Refreshing to see it's not a gameshow - no one will be "voted off" it seems.

I think the ex-policeman is a bit power-hungry, likes the sound of his own voice.

I know it's edited, but you wonder what the other 8 were doing while 5 of them made fire.

I'm looking forward to how they sort themselves out "politically". Although perhaps a month is too short a time for this. Does everyone get an equal say? Who distributes jobs? etc

Watched it and liked it.

Refreshing to see it's not a gameshow - no one will be "voted off" it seems.

I think the ex-policeman is a bit power-hungry, likes the sound of his own voice.

I know it's edited, but you wonder what the other 8 were doing while 5 of them made fire.

I'm looking forward to how they sort themselves out "politically". Although perhaps a month is too short a time for this. Does everyone get an equal say? Who distributes jobs? etc

It's up to them to sort it between them

deco nate wrote: »
    It's up to them to sort it between them

I know, I'd like to see how they do it though! I'd say there are a few strong characters (aka bullies) lurking in there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

I know, I'd like to see how they do it though! I'd say there are a few strong characters (aka bullies) lurking in there.

It looks real, I suspect a lot of these reality survivor type shows are fake or semo-faked
    like a lot of "reality" tv

They seem to have selected a few "weak" characters as well just to cause tensions I assume , There is clearly a few people that should not be there.
    I won't name names

Most of the quality work is being done by just two or three of them

Catching and killing the Cayman was intense I was not excepting that( i thought they where going to run away)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

hmmm?

Forbes
    Bear Grylls: Is He Misleading TV Viewers Again?

Seven minutes in to the programme, Grylls’s narration added: ‘Three of the men are trained as cameramen. But they will be living under exactly the same conditions as everyone else. In their bags are just camera kit, and medical supplies.’

All of this is true, but it is not the full story. Of those 13 ‘ordinary British men’:

* One is Rupert Smith. Ten years ago, Smith was the series producer and director of a series called Escape to the Legion, also presented by Bear Grylls, for Channel 4. He also made a non-broadcast pilot of another Bear Grylls show for Channel 4, called Angel Falls. Smith is an experienced factual TV professional, most recently as a director on the US version of the BBC’s Top Gear.

* Another is Dan Etheridge. Etheridge is an experienced TV cameraman and cinematographer. He too has worked with Grylls before, on at least three episodes of another Bear Grylls series, Discovery Channel’s Man vs Wild.

* A third is sound recordist Kiff McManus, who was nominated for a Bafta craft award last year as part of the British Top Gear team.

* And the fourth embedded crew member is Matt Bennett, an experienced documentary producer who worked on the series Ross Kemp in Afghanistan for BSkyB in the UK

http://www.forbes.com/sites/neilmidgley/2014/05/10/bear-grylls-is-he-misleading-tv-viewers-again/2/

Who cares? If you dont have professionals behind the camera it will look like something your father filmed on his phone at a wedding, as long as they're having to forage and not eating from a food van every day.

I agree.

Having the whole thing recorded by amateur camramen would be unwatchable. These guys clearly know how to set up a shot and capture what's important/entertaining.

As long as they're getting no special treatment it's fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

My minor gripe is about the rubbish that washed up on the shore, really a load of toothbrushes is normal flotsam and jetsam?

Looks like the next show is the start of "Lord of the Flies"

Funnily enough my parents house is on the West coast and there are a lot of toothbrushes on the shore, same for flip flops, and the West Coast of Ireland is pristine by international standards when it comes to plastic waste washing in. In the last series of Naked and Marooned he found a good toothbrush aswell.

Yes. Plastic is near indestructible left floating in the sea.

It is very typical, unfortunetly.

I thought Ryan's need to see the cayman being killed was a bit odd.

RosieJoe wrote: »

Sometimes he seems like a likeable guy who you'd hope would get the most out of the adventure - other times he just seems like an awful waster.

RosieJoe wrote: »

A bit different from Far Cry 3 for him I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭pooch90

Think he leaves next week, hope so.
    Whingy little brat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/bear-grylls-survival-show-accused-of-fakery-30279677.html

No surprise really. I thought the scene with the 'Cayman' looked staged, the animal already had a bloody nose when they first spotted it. Plus the constant moaning is unbearable.

How hard can it be to make a decent survial show....You'd think BG would have all the knowledge at this stage to get it right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Mark Oxford

Difficult to work out.

Grills is on a winner though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

ryan is a nutter

ryan is a nutter

Nutter is one way of putting it! Showman would be another. Or even gobshíte. Let's go for a ramble muttering things like not making it and thanking his mother for life :confused:

I wonder if there are Psychologists/Councillors on call in the background to help them get through certain situations? It was a bit strange that it went from baying for Ryan's blood to "babying" him. I know it was good for the group that they did, and better for Ryan, but I felt it was a bit staged.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/bear-grylls-survival-show-accused-of-fakery-30279677.html

No surprise really. I thought the scene with the 'Cayman' looked staged, the animal already had a bloody nose when they first spotted it. Plus the constant moaning is unbearable.

How hard can it be to make a decent survial show....You'd think BG would have all the knowledge at this stage to get it right.

They admitted that they did all that before the show even aired in fairness , even had a detailed video explaining it all and how they choose the island in the run up to the first episode.

ryan is a nutter

His missus is daycent though.
    I was like wtf when I saw her.

mikom wrote: »
    Ditto, the boyo must have a
    Big Wang on him! :)

mikom wrote: »

Yeah. It was hard to believe alright!

He's a drama queen, no doubt about that. But probably good for the group (and the drama) overall.

His chats about unicorm meat ("it's just spam with glitter in") and tears of joy that can be bought on the internet are priceless.

• Advertisement

In danger of running out of steam.

Last night's episode was fine, but engineered to hate on the big cayman-hunter guy (who seems like an eejit).

Next week (the last episode?) has an election....something that maybe should have happened in episode 1.

It looks like they've mostly figured out now that they're not going to DIE on the island so some have taken to just laying about topping up the sun-tan.

Advertisement