Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great British Bake Off 2019

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Penn wrote: »
    F*ck me I hate her. I get that some people feel like they need something to make them stand out, but being Welsh isn't interesting. Everyone from Wales is Welsh.

Yup. Being a nationality isn’t interesting in and of itself.

Beca from series 4 talked about being Welsh a small bit but didn’t overdo it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I actually like them all this year....bar smug David.

Prue is great, Sandi and Noel are growing on me, Paul meh can take or leave him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

gmisk wrote: »
    I actually like them all this year....bar smug David.

Prue is great, Sandi and Noel are growing on me, Paul meh can take or leave him

I think it's a lot more back to the roots this year. The bakes are simpler, the contestants are as flawed as everyone else and it's not a cringe fest like last year. Last year seemed more like a casting show for the next food presenter and was purely a personality contest at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Canadian bake off has just started. First person out was rubbish. Seemingly cake 'was not her forte ' ! Its fecking bake off :)

LirW wrote: »
    I think it's a lot more back to the roots this year. The bakes are simpler, the contestants are as flawed as everyone else and it's not a cringe fest like last year. Last year seemed more like a casting show for the next food presenter and was purely a personality contest at the end.

The bakers were always talented and above average though. This year: “I don’t do bread” and “I’ve never made rough puff pastry”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

I'm very disappointed with this weeks episode. If you weren't told it was "dairy week", you wouldn't know. Signature bake - two tablespoons of yogurt doesn't make cake "dairy" desert; technical - ok, I suppose but still there was no emphasis on make your own curd cheese (a lot of gagging going on which was annoying); showstopper selection was a complete disaster, I would pick bread&butter pudding over baby blue and lime green sugar lumps anytime. I was expecting cheesecake, a lot of cheesecake! What about Baked Alaska? That would've been so fun to watch!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

What on earth will they be baking on Tuesday? What cakes do I buy to go with a twenties theme?! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,864 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

God, I'm so over Tom Allen on An Extra Slice - he's verging on obnoxious at this stage.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    God, I'm so over Tom Allen on An Extra Slice - he's verging on obnoxious at this stage.
    I watch him discuss the episode, then fast forward the whole audience participation bit. Then he only talks for a couple of minutes at the end to give the eliminated baker their send off.
    Less of him makes him much more tolerable!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I’m really growing to like Steph! She seems very genuine and sweet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,705 ✭✭✭✭walshb

LizT wrote: »
    I’m really growing to like Steph! She seems very genuine and sweet.

And very pretty!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

The vet was so right about rabbits.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Alice reminds me of patty simcox from grease for some reason, probably the bubbliness.

Really thought the vet was going and maybe Michael.

Surprised by the two that went.

Of the four they mentioned at the bottom, I had pegged the other two as going rather than the ones that went. And it didn’t even seem that close. Guess I’m not tasting their wares though.

One thing I’ve noticed is that I’m not bothering with noting each contestant’s standing going into the Showstopper round. In past series, I’d usually have a rough ranking in my mind so that I could gauge pretty well from the Showstopper judging who would win Star Baker and who would go.

After David messed up his technical, I did guess Star Baker correctly this week (and was delighted for them) but totally got the eliminations wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

The eliminations seem fairly random this year.
    Last week was completely unjustified imo and this week you see the grand drama of Priya, Rosie and Michael just to send two others home.
    I don't really get that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

How can they have never made choux pastry or a sabayon before?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

nc6000 wrote: »
    How can they have never made choux pastry or a sabayon before?

You would think that at soon as they found out they were on bake off, they’d brush up/practice different types of pastry/cake/icing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭siblers

How in the **** wasn't Priya sent home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Yeeessss! Bye bye Ms Wales 2019. I certainly won't miss her.
    I'd love to see smug David go next.

I like Steph and Henry and Michael is okay, but can't warm to any of the rest of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,295 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I wonder where Michelle went after leaving the tent.
    Wales.

• Advertisement

I was very surprised with the two that went last night! I thought both were strong contenders overall, especially Michelle - although if it is done strictly on that weekend's performance, then maybe it was justified (I wasn't paying huge attention during the show tbh)

I half thought they'd run Michael, if only to preserve his sanity - he'll have a nervous breakdown if he keeps going the way he is!

I had to laugh at the look of shock on David's face (and the slagging they all gave him, esp the judges) going from first to resoundingly last in the technical. Still can't stand him.

And I wonder where on earth they're coming up with the themes for each week? Literally nothing except David's little flapper biscuits (how cool were they, grrrrr!) looked remotely 1920's to me....

And again this week - "I've made choux pastry, like, once" - you're on GBBO ffs, what do you think they're going to get you to do?????? Just bake bread every single week????? /rant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I think poor Michael is morphing into Rahul. He's getting more anxious by the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Odd decision this week.
    How could the person who came first in technical and wasn’t in bottom 2 in technical be sent home?!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Not trying to be mean saying this but does anyone think the reason they went back to basics this season is because the caliber just isn’t as high?

I thought Priya was for the chop but also thought the decoration on her showstopper looked lovely. Surprised to see Helena go though I’m not a fan but when they said two were going I did think Michelle would be in the mix.

Steph is fast becoming my favourite; her embarrassment is very endearing.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Not trying to be mean saying this but does anyone think the reason they went back to basics this season is because the caliber just isn’t as high?

I thought Priya was for the chop but also thought the decoration on her showstopper looked lovely. Surprised to see Helena go though I’m not a fan but when they said two were going I did think Michelle would be in the mix.

Steph is fast becoming my favourite; her embarrassment is very endearing.
    I was asking this here last week as well, it seems like that might be the case.

The themes are odd though this series, and they aren't really giving much of an idea of what to expect or what would count as a 'good' 1920s cake.

--

I got very distracted watching this after I noticed that the 'view' out the sides of the tent is actually a backdrop of some sort. You can't see out like you used to be able to. I'm not sure if they've done this on previous weeks or if there was a specific reason this week but once I'd seen it I couldn't stop looking in every shot.

miamee wrote: »
    I was asking this here last week as well, it seems like that might be the case.

Look, who knows which of us came up with the idea first? It could have been you. It could have been me. There’s just no way of knowing.
    The themes are odd though this series, and they aren't really giving much of an idea of what to expect or what would count as a 'good' 1920s cake.

Yeah, I agree. Fair play to the choir buy and the girl with the pretty eyes for both doing Art Deco style cakes that I thought were quite cool but the theme was way too broad.
    I got very distracted watching this after I noticed that the 'view' out the sides of the tent is actually a backdrop of some sort. You can't see out like you used to be able to. I'm not sure if they've done this on previous weeks or if there was a specific reason this week but once I'd seen it I couldn't stop looking in every shot.

Ooh, I’ll have to watch out for that.

miamee wrote: »

Just watching An Extra Slice here - and I think that's just that they had the seethrough sides of the tent rolled down.

They close it in if it's pissing rain or blowing a hooley outside (although I'm sure I remember seeing them tripping across the gardens in blistering sunshine......).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,882 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Painful camera work again, when here cake fell on the ground it was laughable, even though the camera was pointed right at it it was zoomed in so much you missed it, the auto-focus couldnt keep up with the crazy zooming, it happens so much it has to be deliberate.

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Look, who knows which of us came up with the idea first? It could have been you. It could have been me. There’s just no way of knowing.

Yeah, I agree. Fair play to the choir buy and the girl with the pretty eyes for both doing Art Deco style cakes that I thought were quite cool but the theme was way too broad.

Ooh, I’ll have to watch out for that.

This is a bit kneejerk and defensive. Miamee didn’t seem to be accusing you of stealing her talking point. Just seems like you reminded her that she asked something similar.

• Advertisement

This is a bit kneejerk and defensive. Miamee didn’t seem to be accusing you of stealing her talking point. Just seems like you reminded her that she asked something similar.

It’s a joke. :)

Advertisement