Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A big announcement is imminent...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I don’t like change.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Omackeral wrote: »
    Get better mods then or update the charter.

The mods we have are fine. There was just too much bile to keep up with. We still plan on further increasing the mod numbers but when modding is no longer fun then there is a problem.
    No issue with the charter either. Noone reads it anyway. I know I haven't.As long as it has 'don't be a dick' in it then it is fit for purpose imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

I'm not sure how to tell the difference between both

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,689 ✭✭✭This is it

It'd be an idea to add/replace a link like Politics and the Irish forum at the top of the page. Might push traffic, less clicks to get there the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    AH was becoming un moddable (is that a word?). This is a solution. Maybe not THE solution but A solution.

There's bloody 14 of them for this new thing :D

If AH couldn't be moderated then maybe the moderators needed to be changed. That could be said for an awful lot of forums here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Agree with the above. Never really a need for a Current Affairs forum, AH is for current affairs pretty much. I don't really get what the difference is supposed to be. What makes something suitable for CA that isn't suitable for AF and vice versa? There's a litany of threads in AH that could be deemed current affairs, will they all be moved?

Unlike cafe it looks like the moderation is the same. Give it time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

Agree with the above. Never really a need for a Current Affairs forum, AH is for current affairs pretty much. I don't really get what the difference is supposed to be. What makes something suitable for CA that isn't suitable for AF and vice versa? There's a litany of threads in AH that could be deemed current affairs, will they all be moved?

Id imagine in practice it be just for politics??

Its a climbdown on politics cafe and requesting access without actually climbing down?

Becuase afaik before they nuked the orginal cafe it had massive traffic....something along those lines id imagine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The mods we have are fine. There was just too much bile to keep up with. We still plan on further increasing the mod numbers but when modding is no longer fun then there is a problem.
    No issue with the charter either. Noone reads it anyway. I know I haven't.As long as it has 'don't be a dick' in it then it is fit for purpose imo.

Yeah it's not meant to be fun though.

They decide it's fun/serious and that the mods are just regular posters/not regular posters based on whatever suits them shooting down someone at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

i would say that the kind of people who still use vbulletin forums are not the kind of people who enjoy change

• Advertisement

i would say that the kind of people who still use vbulletin forums are not the kind of people who enjoy change

Or just people who like posts in the proper chronological order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,689 ✭✭✭This is it

Maybe fun is the wrong word. Enjoyment might be better in my opinion.

I was mod of a fair few forums and gave them up one by one as it became more of a pain in the arse than it was worth. I wanted to give back but not at the expense of my enjoyment of the site.

I don't believe this split will resolve the issue but I understand why it's getting a run out.

Edit, just to add, I did have a lot of fun when modding, behind the scenes and with posters in the forums :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭FFred

FFred wrote: »
    So as a starting point and a guideline, the etiquette/scat thread would stay in AH while the Ana Kriegel thread would move to current affairs?

Am I doing this right?

I can see both sides of the argument for and against splitting AH .

I’ll quote myself from earlier as an example, the Ana Kriegel thread is too serious for **** talk, whilst the ****(etiquette) thread is too ‘humorous’ for serious talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,191 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I want a dates forum damn currants don't need no more attention mmmmmmh tasty dates, berries forum too Chuck Berry too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Get better mods then or update the charter.
    There's bloody 14 of them for this new thing :D

If AH couldn't be moderated then maybe the moderators needed to be changed. That could be said for an awful lot of forums here.

Changed with who exactly? As AH stands, we had mods and admin threatened via PM with doxxing, threats of finding out where they lived, physical abuse, etc. I'm pretty sure I've read at least a few reported PMs from particularly charming posters where mods have been threatened with rape. Who in their right mind would sign up for that?

mike_ie wrote: »
    Changed with who exactly? As AH stands, we had mods and admin threatened via PM with doxxing, threats of finding out where they lived, physical abuse, etc. I'm pretty sure I've read at least a few reported PMs from particularly charming posters where mods have been threatened with rape. Who in their right mind would sign up for that?

None of that should be allowed to pass but there could also be a massive improvement in moderation, it's all too lazy and too smug and a lot of it seems to be geared towards deliberately antagonising posters. It's not about getting people to sign up for it for more of the same, it should be about fixing it altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

:eek:

You’re a category mod for the heading AH falls under and you haven’t read the charter?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

None of that should be allowed to pass but there could also be a massive improvement in moderation, it's all too lazy and too smug. It's not about getting people to sign up for it for more of the same, it should be about fixing it altogether.

Would you think about stepping up to the plate yourself, dude? Instead of being a hurler on the ditch.

Would you think about stepping up to the plate yourself, dude? Instead of being a hurler on the ditch.

It doesn’t work that way.

Mixing baseball and hurling metaphors. Interesting.

I wouldn't last two seconds, you only have to look at how things are handled at a higher level (ban appeals, etc) to see where it's coming from. Plus, my 'record' is abysmal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Shur look, when it doesn’t work out and AH starts to go the way of all other fora management can always blame the likes of Twitter & Co. for the drop in users.

It will make an interesting case study in a few years time for someone’s thesis.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

It doesn’t work that way.

Mixing baseball and hurling metaphors. Interesting.

So? It’s not like I’m behind the 8 ball or anything. Didn’t let down my guard, and I’m not exactly chomping at the bit either. I’ve also had a liquid lunch and am on my 7th pint.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

There's bloody 14 of them for this new thing
    14 what's?

Who says? Strange post tbh. They don't moderate for the financial benefits anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

Did I miss it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Who says? Strange post tbh. They don't moderate for the financial benefits anyway.

How is it a strange post? You're essentially supposed to be a referee.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Did I miss it?

Yeah...... everyone is banned

I wouldn't last two seconds, you only have to look at how things are handled at a higher level (ban appeals, etc) to see where it's coming from. Plus, my 'record' is abysmal.

Bans appeal thing is always trotted out yet I have overturned as many as I have upheld. You are spot on with the rest of your post though :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

How is it a strange post? You're essentially supposed to be a referee.

A referee for free no less...... I bet you wouldn't do your job for zero pay ;)

You're essentially supposed to be a referee.

Again, who says? The only remit a mod has, IMO, is to stop dickish posting.

• Advertisement

Kimbot wrote: »

Being a moderator isn’t anyone’s paying job though. I don’t know how “We don’t get paid!” is a defence against criticism considering you would have known there was no pay when you signed on.

Charity isn't the only thing should begin at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

Tbf your opening.a can of worms there essentially admitting mods arent required to be neutral in disputes on subject matters they mod??

Surely accusations of favouritism is the endpoint of this policy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Is moderating on boards considered a job or in any way comparable to a job? Can you have a job with ‘zero pay’? I thought the definition of job included getting paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Is moderating on boards considered a job or in any way comparable to a job? Can you have a job with ‘zero pay’? I thought the definition of job included getting paid.

Fine Gael did away with that ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

How do you a rereg used to be a mod?

Don't worry, they'll tell you.

• Advertisement

If you work for a charity for 40+ hours a week with 0 pay, is that not considered a job?

Modding isn't a job yet plenty of posters on here want mods online 24/7 at their beck and call and at times it feels like a job ;)

_blaaz wrote: »
    Tbf your opening.a can of worms there essentially admitting mods arent required to be neutral in disputes on subject matters they mod??

Surely accusations of favouritism is the endpoint of this policy?

A mods opinion is irrelevant on the topic being discussed when actioning a post if that is what you are asking?:confused:

If you work for a charity for 40+ hours a week with 0 pay, is that not considered a job?

Modding isn't a job yet plenty of posters on here want mods online 24/7 at their beck and call and at times it feels like a job ;)

No, it isn’t. :confused: You’d be a volunteer. Like a moderator.

You’re not paid but you can’t use that as a forcefield against criticism.

No, that is volunteering. Not a job. And very few people working for 40 hours for a charity are unpaid. The charity industry employs tens of thousands, plenty of them well paid.

Fine Gael did away with that ;)

You are trolling me because of my comment on the other thread, right? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

We’re gonna need a bigger announcement.

CURRENT AFFAIRS/IMHO IS NOW LIVE

Your request is my command, dear lady:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

You are trolling me because of my comment on the other thread, right? :)

I was only having fun because of it. They actually did do away with zero hours, fair play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I appreciate the time some have put into this but the way it has been done is not going to work and it'll just go the way of the Cafe.

Like I said last year....
    ...let After Hours rest in peace I say and just rename this forum 'Current Affairs' as to continue to call it After Hours is to do so in just name only, as the ethos and spirit of the forum that once was, has long since passed.

After Hours is a Current Affairs forum, to extract current affair topics from After Hours is absurd and misses the whole point of the forum and disrespect it's history and the mods that worked hard down the years to see that it's ethos was honoured.

Just look at the old logo and see what was chosen to be repeprsaentive of AH, a guy sitting on a barstool:

20190620-195249.jpg

...now tell me which bar it is where people shoot the breeze and talk shite, but not about current affairs?? Come on, it's laughable.

We have a Politics forum and a Humanities forum, and a whole range of other forums for discussing current affairs in serious ways, devoid of all jokes and meandering, where users must be very civil to one another and that's cool. After Hours though, was (and still should be) Boards barroom, where users can discuss and debate anything and everything, current affairs or otherwise, in a manner which would not be appropriate elsewhere on Boards (and for good reason).

There have been a string of new landlords over the last ten years or so that don't seem to get that. Who want to appease the blow in patrons that came in here and didn't like the way things were being discussed. Like going downstairs in Bruxelles and saying 'What's will all the heavy metal music?'.

After Hours was sanitized, the tail was allowed to wagbthe dog, and it didn't work, and rather than admit that and put the heavy metal music back in the jukebox, further changes are being made in an effort to make it popular again, rather than admit the changes were one of the reasons the forum started to fail.

Heavy metal music = "frank exchanges of views on serious and at-times controversial topics" of course.

So, imo, you should have just renamed AH to be 'Current Affairs IMHO' as what's the point in making it a sub forum? Why allow frank current affair discussions there, and not here? You're trying to make After Hours some feel good forum for light hearted discussions but we already have Sunshine, Lolipops and Rainbows.

You all tried to fix something that wasn't broke. Admit that, put it back the way you found it, and make After Hours great again!

MAHGA hats on sale in the foyer.

tl;dr

Get outta my pub!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Harvey Weinstein

Containment board for wrongthink and Non PC opinions

I see the Drag Kid thread has already been moved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,929 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I'd forgotten all about that disaster!

Mods: this "stay tuned...." nonsense didn't go down well last time - unless this is actually something significant (and no, the talked-about-for-2-years-plus "current affairs" forum doesn't cut it), I'd quit now.

Called it.

I don't see how something talked about 2 years ago and involving a fairly minor tech change qualifies as big news. It would have been more relevant then, but I think the moment has likely passed given the content of AH these days.

I'd have to agree with Wibbs above.. Too many of the staff are tied to a notion of what the forum/site is or was - not what it IS today.

But sure, congrats on finally listening to the users I guess.

Containment board for wrongthink and Non PC opinions

I see the Drag Kid thread has already been moved

Exactly this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Not really one of the greatest ideas... I'm just going to assume that like politics cafe everyone will make current affairs posts in AH as they've always done and eventually the mods will just get tired of moving stuff over and we'll go back to the way it was and the CA forum will just die away.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I don't see how something talked about 2 years ago and involving a fairly minor tech change qualifies as big news.

Surely better than AH Day?

Let's see how it goes anyway. If it fails miserably then we can all hand wring and say I told you so. If it does work then everyone is happy.

Let's see how it goes anyway. If it fails miserably then we can all hand wring and say I told you so. If it does work then everyone is happy.

As if it'll ever change back, so don't treat us like complete idiots. That Cafe thing would have been gone long ago if the ability to admit mistakes was there at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

That was pretty momentous. Don't you remember the parade?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement