Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is ADHD just a label thats put on children.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

Mutant z wrote: »
    No its diagnosed by behaviour very different to genetics and Autism is completely different so its best not to compare it to ADHD which is being discussed here.

There's viewed to be a genetic factor in relation to adhd and there is likely an evolutionary basis for it. Research in relation to it linked below. Plenty of people make similar assertions about autism that you are making about ADHD. Both actually overlap in terms of symptoms too.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1578754/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3449233/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2928252/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I have a child with ADHD and autism. He's not on medication and we don't receive any financial aid. He's not a "bold" child either, believe me if my son had a meltdown you would know he has a special need. We manage it with behaviour modifications and limiting his triggers, watching his diet, keeping him to a strict routine and making sure he gets enough sleep. He can't sit still for long periods at all without stimming like mad so needs regular movement breaks, once he gets those he is grand. I'm really fed up with being told I'm a **** parent who is too lazy to care for him so I need some fancy label to excuse his behaviour. You don't get a diagnosis that easily folks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

eviltwin wrote: »
    I have a child with ADHD and autism. He's not on medication and we don't receive any financial aid. He's not a "bold" child either, believe me if my son had a meltdown you would know he has a special need. We manage it with behaviour modifications and limiting his triggers, watching his diet, keeping him to a strict routine and making sure he gets enough sleep. He can't sit still for long periods at all without stimming like mad so needs regular movement breaks, once he gets those he is grand. I'm really fed up with being told I'm a **** parent who is too lazy to care for him so I need some fancy label to excuse his behaviour. You don't get a diagnosis that easily folks

Well done, it's not easy, fair play to you and your partner

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

First of all ADHD is a neuro-psychiatric condition. Some people use the word "label" often for many of the psychiatric conditions, which should be avoided.

ADHD (term used in America) aka Hyperkinetic disorder (in Europe) is an Axis I diagnosis, which requires a thorough investigation and several diagnostic tests together with a clinical interview before it is diagnosed. If it's severe enough then stimulant medication are the recommended treatment. For mild cases, parenting and behavioural modifications are advised. And medications are reserved for cases where school / occupational functioning is effected. A regular follow up by doctor is required for those who are on medications because of frequent side effects, most commonly loss of appetite, initial insomnia, failure to thrive in extreme cases, etc.

Hope it gives you a brief idea on ADHD.

When the assessment is carried out is at any point the child’s diet looked at?

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 33,105 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Saying ADHD is an excuse used by parents becaue they're lazy is a bit like saying Stephen Hawking can really walk but he's just too lazy.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

No, you don't. SEN teaching no longer works on that basis nor does CAHMS.

On the topic of having to slap a label on children to get them help, well, you still kind of do byhookorbycrook, I'm afraid.

My son needs a laptop in school, as recommended by HSE OT. But we have just been informed that he won't be getting it, because he has no diagnosis. He was assessed for dyspraxia, but OT decided it wasn't it really, and I agreed with her it isn't it, but there's something else and he is due to be assessed by ASD team. Parallel to that the educational psychologist also recommended help (and ASD assessment).

We are waiting more than a year now for that final assessment, his work in school is suffering and he is anxious as a result, but hey, no diagnosis, no laptop.

He does get resource time, along with the other few who need it in the school, but since he is more high ability + something-not-quite-yet-determined than the other "usual" issues, I'm not sure it achieves much for him.

On the topic of ADHD being over diagnosed, I do agree with you OP that up to a recent time, there was a spate of diagnoses that may have been sort of "bought". I don't think that is the case anymore though, and I have to say, having the experience of it, that getting an assessment and diagnosis are not now the easy-peasy experiences you seem to think they are.

But I did have the experience of women in a facebook group that I was encouraged to join by another mum, all giving each other very precise tips on how to get DCA, and how first request was going to be rejected, but what to say to get it on appeal, etc... There were more posts on trying to get DCA than how to help their kids. I unjoined fairly lively as it was getting my blood pressure up.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

On the topic of having to slap a label on children to get them help, well, you still kind of do byhookorbycrook, I'm afraid.

My son needs a laptop in school, as recommended by HSE OT. But we have just been informed that he won't be getting it, because he has no diagnosis. He was assessed for dyspraxia, but OT decided it wasn't it really, and I agreed with her it isn't it, but there's something else and he is due to be assessed by ASD team. Parallel to that the educational psychologist also recommended help (and ASD assessment).

We are waiting more than a year now for that final assessment, his work in school is suffering and he is anxious as a result, but hey, no diagnosis, no laptop.

He does get resource time, along with the other few who need it in the school, but since he is more high ability + something-not-quite-yet-determined than the other "usual" issues, I'm not sure it achieves much for him.

On the topic of ADHD being over diagnosed, I do agree with you OP that up to a recent time, there was a spate of diagnoses that may have been sort of "bought". I don't think that is the case anymore though, and I have to say, having the experience of it, that getting an assessment and diagnosis are not now the easy-peasy experiences you seem to think they are.

But I did have the experience of women in a facebook group that I was encouraged to join by another mum, all giving each other very precise tips on how to get DCA, and how first request was going to be rejected, but what to say to get it on appeal, etc... There were more posts on trying to get DCA than how to help their kids. I unjoined fairly lively as it was getting my blood pressure up.

It's pretty a pretty crappy situation at least they are getting some help in school ,
    My little one has been passed from pillar to post since 2 ,now 6 severe SLT difficulty and psychological issues relating to the fact she is very aware she's not understood and has been for several years now ,
    Was recommended to visit DCA warriors on social media felt the same seems parents were mostly interested in the extra benefits than getting help for themselves or child ,
    Sad to say ,

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

When I was 12, the Mater CAMHS completely discharged me because I was going into secondary school - possibly the worst time too because I became a psychopath losing my mind over the death of my nanny. I am diagnosed with ASD and Epilepsy by the way. I was put on a waiting list for Beechpark Services for 3 years and throughout that time, I went without help so to me, those were the dark ages of my life. Fortunately, I was finally brought into Beechpark in late 2016 and started doing multiple meetings in 2017. I told them that I needed a laptop in school - but I didn't have the diagnosis or disabilities really to get one. However, I told them that I need one because of my slow writing speed and that I'm extremely fast at typing. My slow writing speed was seriously getting me behind in school, stressing me out, giving me pains in my hand. They did a writing speed test in June last year with me and it turned out, my writing was very slow for the average my writing speed should be at. This made them choose that I should get a laptop. I eventually got it in November after waiting a few months of torture of writing and stressing. My mother said that I should have had the laptop since primary school! Since I've gotten the laptop, I've had no problems in terms of keeping up in school. It helps me hugely and I feel happier coming into school with it than writing. I just wanted to show you this as an example for where my problems mattered over diagnosis for getting the laptop. Not to mention, I get resource times far more now since I have spoken my mind about my stress and contemplating suicide to Beechpark and my GP - I do not feel those thoughts anymore now fortunately. I used to barely get resource times. I did every subject. I did Irish. I did French. I did everything and mostly higher level too bar English (and Maths from December 2017). I decided to get an exemption from Irish because of stress becoming an all-time high as a result of that one subject. Ironically though, I was top of the class in terms of results. For example, I got a B in JC Irish - higher level. For my Christmas test this year before I got the exemption in January, I got 70% the highest in the class and again higher level. I hope your son somehow manages to get a laptop.

It took me forever to get things like laptop, resource times and now a cushion for my back and bottom which are very vulnerable to pains.

As for ADHD, my brother has that as well as EBD..... nightmare combination. He is one of the most selfish people you could find. I still struggle to put up with him to this day. I have never seen a person quite like him and I can tell ya, the ADHD diagnosis is definite for him. It's not just a label. He needs serious help in calming down and not throwing tantrums. He was very hyperactive during his childhood but as of recently, he's calmed quite a lot in terms of the hyperactivity like he doesn't go out much at all now.... probably because of me telling him all the times that I get pissed off of opening the door for him when he comes back like every 5 minutes when I'm doing something like recording, gaming, weather forecasting etc. Me snapping at him is not any better because like I said, he needs serious help.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Some parents are known to use it in order to fraudulently claim DCA and CA from the state.

Can you provide evidence for this?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

I am a teacher and it is easy to see the difference between students who have ADHD and those who are just BOLD.

At a recent parent teacher meeting I raised concerns with a parent regarding her sons behaviour in class and she immediately became defensive and mentioned his ADHD. I was mortified, and immediately linked in with our learning support team regarding how I could help him.

Learning support team said that all of his test scores were well outside the range for a diagnosis and that it’s the mother who is pushing for the diagnosis to excuse her sons poor behaviour. I’m not an expert by any means, but I have experience in working with students with SEN. Her son does not have SEN. He is genuinely just bold and she is defensive and not disciplining him for his bad behaviour. Notes in his journal about not having homework done, bad behaviour in class, get a response that, again, mentions this non-diagnosis and requests some leeway.

Since the start of the year, with boundaries and discipline and trial and error for seating arrangements, he is now not disruptive in class and has stopped just shouting the first thing that comes in to his head. That doesn’t work with students who have a genuine diagnosis.

Contrast to another parent of a child I teach, who arrived to the PTM with a folder of resources for how her child reacts to different situations and offered a copy to aid teachers. She is willing to engage with school and come up with strategies to help her kid.

Whereas the other parent has just decided that her son has ADHD and that it’s our responsibility to discipline him.

• Advertisement

Gatling wrote: »
    It's pretty a pretty crappy situation at least they are getting some help in school ,
    My little one has been passed from pillar to post since 2 ,now 6 severe SLT difficulty and psychological issues relating to the fact she is very aware she's not understood and has been for several years now ,
    Was recommended to visit DCA warriors on social media felt the same seems parents were mostly interested in the extra benefits than getting help for themselves or child ,
    Sad to say ,

DCA warriors ! that's the one !
    It is shocking, and Brian? honestly, it pretty much illustrates the mindset of some "warrior" mums who seem more intent on working the system than whether their child genuinely needs help or not.

I've spoken to teachers about this and they generally say that getting a diagnosis of anything takes a good while and aren't handed out as lightly as people make it out to be.
    But if a diagnoses is made and they can extra resources to help the child it generally does help.
    I've seen kids being written off by teachers as bold children but when somebody came along and helped them they generally settled down. They might be the odd wobble.

Agree fully with this. I've also had a child burst out crying to me when she was diagnosed because all her young life she thought she was stupid (and worse), and people mocked her. She was overwhelmed with relief that there was an explanation and for the first time both she and her parents and teachers could use the new information/diagnosis to teach and support her in the best way possible. The same goes for other diagnoses: a child with dyslexia, for instance, is primarily a visual learner and is not given justice if he is being taught in a way that benefits non-dyslexia students more.

I would worry that, due to the cost of the psychological assessment, fewer children from poorer backgrounds who need a diagnosis get one, while parents who can afford the €700 or whatever it costs can get it. Plenty of people go through the system without being diagnosed and very often the entire school community suffers from the child's misbehaviour. Diagnose the child and help them know themselves better. Keeping them in ignorance is not helping them.

There's a huge amount of ignorance, callousness and lack of awareness from the op and others in this thread.

Brian? wrote: »
    How do you know?

What studies have you performed or read? Are you a doctor?

My sentiments precisely. Thank you.

There's a huge amount of ignorance, callousness and lack of awareness from the op and others in this thread.

It's possible to see your points and agree with them and yet be aware of some less genuine cases.

Call it callousness if you wish, I call it being realistic.
    And I'm speaking from the perspective of a professional in education as well as a parent of a child with possible SN. I read every report available on the children I'm in contact with, and take on board diagnoses and suggestions, and I do come across less convincing assessments.

Refusing to acknowledge that some cases are not as genuine is not doing the genuine ones any favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,890 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I've been recently diagnosed with dyslexia and autism (Asperger's and add), I actually suspect I was born with ADHD, but dropped the hd as I got older. Ask me anything you want, Ive a few stories to tell of my battles in life, particularly within our educational system, in particular how it affected my mental health, causing periods of severe depression and anxiety, but I guess some individuals are already 'experts' on this thread, so maybe I am just 'lazy' or whatever! It's also important to note, I only have what would be considered 'mild' conditions. I wish those and their parents, that have these kind of conditions, at any level, the very best of luck, as there is exceptional ignorance in society regarding the understanding of them, including some educators sadly.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    ! Since I've gotten the laptop, I've had no problems in terms of keeping up in school. It helps me hugely and I feel happier coming into school with it than writing. I just wanted to show you this as an example for where my problems mattered over diagnosis for getting the laptop.

His principal is "appealing" the decision, or just getting back in touch with OT and parties concerned in spite of the decision, since he knows my son, his high abilities (obvious in Sats and other tests), and can see what an effort he puts into his work, and how the handwriting is a genuine ongoing issue that is holding him back.
    Life is so much effort for my little guy. He's doing ok because he's not lazy and he has lots of coping strategies, but everything seems to take more work, from socializing to getting dressed, and finishing school work or just making sense of ordinary communication, and it takes its toll on his mental health.

I'm hoping the final assessment will happen before the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Diet has not been shown to be linked with the development of ADHD.
    Maternal smoking / alcohol use during the pregnancy increases the likelihood for the development of ADHD by 4 times.

But I always recommend a good healthy diet for the growing pupil including fruits, vegetables, lean meat and omega 3 (from fish).

If a child is on a stimulant medication then we monitor diet, weight, height and vital signs at every visit.

Hope this answers your query.
    Marty Bird wrote: »
    When the assessment is carried out is at any point the child’s diet looked at?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,105 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Its the way she came across she just sounded like she didn't give a damn and passed them off as having ADHD it just didn't sound genuine at all.
    I can remember a woman on the radio saying 4 of her kids had ADHD now come on that's clearly taking the piss 1 is something but 4 how naive does someone have to be to believe that, and by the way she spoke she clearly didn't give a damn about what they got up to.

THIS is your thought process?

You listetned to a radio show about one woman who claimed that four of her kids had ADHD and came to the conclusion that:
    It seems ADHD is just a lazy label thats put on children with little basis in reality most of which is just normal childhood behaviour.
    Exactly its just a lazy diagnosis and used as an excuse for parents to not take responsibility for their own children.

Call me a skeptic, but if you're going to present this viewpoint with and degree of seriousness, you're going to have to do something a bit more thorough than just dismissing it as "a lazy diagnosis".

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

All this BS about sugary diets etc. Some kids have always been wild lunatics, particularly boys. Nothing to do with sugary diets. That has been shown to be a myth. In fact sugary diets are more likely to make your kid lethargic.

Let them run around and do stuff - there are lots of schools that ban running in the playground now.

And there are a small percentage of kids who are sociopaths - dangerous evil people. Another percentage on the autism spectrum. The latter group tend towards dyslexia, dispraxia etc.

The rest that have ADHD issues are just wild.

Kids have always been in this distribution.

Sources include being a kid myself and having 3 of my own, one of which had all of the above except sociopathy.

His principal is "appealing" the decision, or just getting back in touch with OT and parties concerned in spite of the decision, since he knows my son, his high abilities (obvious in Sats and other tests), and can see what an effort he puts into his work, and how the handwriting is a genuine ongoing issue that is holding him back.
    Life is so much effort for my little guy. He's doing ok because he's not lazy and he has lots of coping strategies, but everything seems to take more work, from socializing to getting dressed, and finishing school work or just making sense of ordinary communication, and it takes its toll on his mental health.

I'm hoping the final assessment will happen before the summer.
    Discovered in my teens that I had been diagnosed with dyspraxia as a child. Parents sort of kept it from me. It explained so many of the issues that I experienced during childhood. Such as struggling with sports and handwriting that I could never improve. Ended up being held back because I couldn't learn to read at same pace as other kids. It's a real challenge to experience. I wish you and your son the very best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

It seems ADHD is just a lazy label thats put on children with little basis in reality most of which is just normal childhood behaviour the fact is there's always been differences in children some are loud some are quiet some are sociable others less so yet now they must be labeled with a condition which gives parents the excuse to shriek responsibility towards their children. Children are different to each other why must they be labeled because of it why cant we just accept those differences instead of putting labels like ADHD on them.

Back in the old days a good kick in the arse solved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,890 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Dakota Dan wrote: »

did it really?

Not exactly true, back in the old days a pupil with issues would be left behind the class. They'd continue to struggle and never get a handle on it. Applies to adhd, autism, dyspraxia and dyslexia. Plenty of those students got hit for not performing as expected or misbehaving. As a result, it can lead to self esteem issues and make many feel like they're dumb or there's something negative about them that they don't understand. Never getting any handle on it.

pitifulgod wrote: »
    Discovered in my teens that I had been diagnosed with dyspraxia as a child. Parents sort of kept it from me. It explained so many of the issues that I experienced during childhood. Such as struggling with sports and handwriting that I could never improve. Ended up being held back because I couldn't learn to read at same pace as other kids. It's a real challenge to experience. I wish you and your son the very best.

It's a pity you weren't told. We had chats with my son, and when he was considered for dyspraxia I could feel his relief at being able to put a name to his issues, but it's not that.
    His fine motor skills are actually ok, and gross motor skills do not justify a diagnosis of dyspraxia either.

But there's something there, and since we have no diagnosis I can't tell him not to worry and that it's just his "insert-condition-here" and we'll find ways to deal with it.

Ah but look, we're still finding ways to deal with it anyway, everyone's got their issues in this world. He's doing fine, but a diagnosis of something, whatever the hell it turns out to be, would help, and would reassure me that the rest of his school years won't be an ordeal for him.

I'm in education myself but his father and I we don't even care for academical success for our kids, whatever will keep them happy and help them be happy in life will be fine, but the mental health issue is the bigger concern.

Great enlightened days, God bless them.

It's possible to see your points and agree with them and yet be aware of some less genuine cases.

Call it callousness if you wish, I call it being realistic.
    And I'm speaking from the perspective of a professional in education as well as a parent of a child with possible SN. I read every report available on the children I'm in contact with, and take on board diagnoses and suggestions, and I do come across less convincing assessments.

Refusing to acknowledge that some cases are not as genuine is not doing the genuine ones any favour.

I don't think anybody would deny the system, like most systems, can and is being 'gamed' by some people. That's to be expected, and as I mentioned ability to pay for a psychologist's report is one such distortion.

However, this is a vastly different thing to claiming, as the op did without evidence, that "ADHD is just a lazy label thats put on children with little basis in reality most of which is just normal childhood behaviour".

I have to say the flipside to more concern for children's conditions in schools is the example for me of that child I know, who has not been diagnosed with anything other than GLD (general learning difficulty) and behavioural issues, after thorough investigation, but roams the corridors telling all and sundry they've got autism. :rolleyes:

When it permeates to the child that it's a good thing to self-diagnose with a label, the parenting issues do start to match OP-levels of awareness, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Oh don't get me started on the lack of awareness for things like ASD, ADHD, mental health etc, it's dreadful!!!

My old friend has Trichotillomania. He had high anxiety as a result and even worse than mine which is saying something because I blow things out of proportion when it comes to worrying. My friend would keep pulling out of his hair 'til he made himself bald as a result. Guess what!? He was not allowed to come into school, he was suspended because having bald hair or a 0/1 cut in my school is against the rules :mad:. May I ask, what's hair got to do with your education? I hate my old friend now because of what happened but when I think of this, I really have to feel for him, the poor guy. His psychologist said to the school that the resource should be shut down! It's horrible, the teachers have zero clue about autism and other disorders, they are in need of huge training, like this should be illegal he said. I happened to agree with him on saying it's horrible and that the teachers have zero clue. I'm smarter than some of the teachers for crying out loud!! But I disagreed with saying it should be shut down. I don't think it should, it just needs massive improvement. It should not be shut down because being in resource gives me a chance to breathe from all the stress mainstream class gives me and I can relax when I'm in pain or feeling a bit unwell or even do my homework which means a lot of the time, I don't have homework to do when I go home and I can attend to my hobbies like weather. I loathe being in mainstream classes. Teachers and my parents say I'm well able for them. I'm not! I dropped from higher level Maths in December for example to ordinary level. I said I want to join the resource Maths class than the mainstream ordinary level class. Guidance counsellor and higher level Maths teacher disagreed with me and said I should be in mainstream class, this was infuriating me so I kept talking like "You're not me, you don't know what I'm feeling inside" etc. They eventually let me join and now I love it in the end. I got 97% in my Christmas test, this was like 30-40% higher than the next highest result. I could not care for this result at all and I don't care about the resource boys struggling in Maths, we all have our difficulties. Just to think that back in 1st year, I didn't have a single resource class, not one class. I was driving myself mental! Now it's all finally changed and they're starting to care for me - with the help of Beechpark.

The lack of awareness for these disorders and mental health should be illegal, it's atrocious!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

It was seen as the solution. But it solved nothing.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

It's a pity you weren't told. We had chats with my son, and when he was considered for dyspraxia I could feel his relief at being able to put a name to his issues, but it's not that.
    His fine motor skills are actually ok, and gross motor skills do not justify a diagnosis of dyspraxia either.

But there's something there, and since we have no diagnosis I can't tell him not to worry and that it's just his "insert-condition-here" and we'll find ways to deal with it.

Ah but look, we're still finding ways to deal with it anyway, everyone's got their issues in this world. He's doing fine, but a diagnosis of something, whatever the hell it turns out to be, would help, and would reassure me that the rest of his school years won't be an ordeal for him.

I'm in education myself but his father and I we don't even care for academical success for our kids, whatever will keep them happy and help them be happy in life will be fine, but the mental health issue is the bigger concern.

I won't go too deep into this as this is just for you personally to take away.

I realise it is just your wording. But if ever you are talking to your child about his mental health issue or just considering it yourself.

Instead of projecting or saying "what ever will keep them happy ,help them to be happy" ..

Try learn yourself to say "I just want them to have a healthy outlook on life ".

Advertisement