Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is ADHD just a label thats put on children.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Mutant z wrote: »
    Like i said kids can be a handful but you seriously cant believe everyone of them thats been diagnosed with ADHD actually have the conditions if they are hyperactive its often from a high sugary diet they are being fed like bottles of coca cola for instance that could set anyone off and simply a lack of discipline at home why what was once considered childhood misbehaviour suddenly been rediagnosed as ADHD.

Misdiagnosis happens, not only with ADHD. However you're still talking codswallop.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Gatling wrote: »
    Do families with ADHD children qualify for DCA payments

You can claim if it's a severe disability.

I've cousins who's sons are diagnosed and one claims DCA.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Name one

Einstein

Poor kid couldn't even tie his own shoelaces

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

It seems ADHD is just a lazy label thats put on children with little basis in reality most of which is just normal childhood behaviour the fact is there's always been differences in children some are loud some are quiet some are sociable others less so yet now they must be labeled with a condition which gives parents the excuse to shriek responsibility towards their children. Children are different to each other why must they be labeled because of it why cant we just accept those differences instead of putting labels like ADHD on them.

How about a trade off? Abandon ADHD as a label and then make bullying a criminal offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Einstein

Poor kid couldn't even tie his own shoelaces

Yes . And did he have ADHD ? Your point being ?

• Advertisement

Yes . And did he have ADHD ? Your point being ?

He's supposed to have had it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Like i said kids can be a handful but you seriously cant believe everyone of them thats been diagnosed with ADHD actually have the conditions if they are hyperactive its often from a high sugary diet they are being fed like bottles of coca cola for instance that could set anyone off and simply a lack of discipline at home why what was once considered childhood misbehaviour suddenly been rediagnosed as ADHD.

I want you to provide some evidence that kids being diagnosed with ADHD are simply bold kids. You’ve made a claim, now back it up.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

He showed signs of autism which is a different matter .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

No. That’s ASD. He was somewhere on the Autistic spectrum.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

Name one

A fair few olympians and sporting figures were diagnosed with ADHD. Michael Phelps being the first that comes to mind. In music, you've got Will.i.am. Thomas Edison is suspected of having it as well. Like autism, it can be a massive challenge but depending on the person, it can be highly beneficial in terms of achievement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Brian? wrote: »

I want you to provide some evidence that kids being diagnosed with ADHD are simply bold kids. You’ve made a claim, now back it up.
    Some parents are known to use it in order to fraudulently claim DCA and CA from the state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Name one

Thomas Edison, Albert Einstein, Salvador Dali, Winston Churchill.

Brian? wrote: »
    No. That’s ASD. He was somewhere on the Autistic spectrum.

"ADHD impacted his childhood. It has been believed over the years that the famous scientist Albert Einstein dealt with ADHD throughout his life. ... Whether or not this had something to do with his ADHD is unknown to this day."

Who knows.

pitifulgod wrote: »
    A fair few olympians and sporting figures were diagnosed with ADHD. Michael Phelps being the first that comes to mind. In music, you've got Will.i.am. Thomas Edison is suspected of having it as well. Like autism, it can be a massive challenge but depending on the person, it can be highly beneficial in terms of achievement.
    Big difference between achievement in sport or music and excelling in science or medicine etc . ADHD does not necessarily mean mastery in academia where autism may well do

Some parents are known to use it in order to fraudulently claim DCA and CA from the state.

That's a pretty serious allegation as it requires psychologists to have been engaging in fraud as well. More often than not though, it's people who very little knowledge on a topic who make the above conclusion.

Thomas Edison, Albert Einstein, Salvador Dali, Winston Churchill.

And also likely to be on the autistic spectrum which again is a different matter . ADHD in isolation is unlikely to give them an advantage .

You are joking ?
    You realise the GP is heavily involved along with consultants reports that say the child has a severe disability in order to claim DCA.

Big difference between achievement in sport or music and excelling in science or medicine etc . ADHD does not necessarily mean mastery in academia where autism may well do

https://www.dallasnews.com/arts/books/2017/11/01/astronaut-scott-kelly-endurance-memoir-dallas-interview
    Scott Kelly good enough? Oh and that Thomas Edison guy if you've heard of him. James Carville while not an inventor led political campaigns for Clinton and Blair...
    And also likely to be on the autistic spectrum which again is a different matter . ADHD in isolation is unlikely to give them an advantage .

Not necessarily, massive reserves of energy can be incredibly useful if you have somewhere to direct it towards. Plus for an artist or scientist for that matter, it results in a very different perspective on world.

https://www.dallasnews.com/arts/books/2017/11/01/astronaut-scott-kelly-endurance-memoir-dallas-interview
    Scott Kelly good enough? Oh and that Thomas Edison guy if you've heard of him. James Carville while not an inventor led political campaigns for Clinton and Blair...

Not necessarily, massive reserves of energy can be incredibly useful if you have somewhere to direct it towards. Plus for an artist or scientist for that matter, it results in a very different perspective on world.

Thomas Edison is also thought to have been on the autistic spectrum . I am not denying the positive affect of energy reserves by the way .

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I think it's too broad of a question that you are asking, because I would say that there are people in different catagories.

- Genuine diagnosed cases
    - Undiagnosed cases but the parents have diagnosed off the internet
    - People who just say there kid has as some sort of trophy
    - People who have buried their heads in the sand
    - etc

Diagnosed cases are not just a label. If people have gone through the process of evaluation and they have a diagnosis, then it's not just a label. As noted earlier, there are a set of guidelines, 6 of which have to be met to be considered for being diagnosed. It takes alot to get there, a heck of a lot of time if you are going the public route in Ireland.

In the USA things are a little different. Because there is a huge push from the drug companies to push their drugs, kids are an easy target if they are acting up, doctors could prescribe ADHD medication for a suspected case, so kids would be on the drugs before being diagnosed properly.

There are some kids that have been diagnosed and you would have no clue that they have ADHD because of their coping mechanisms.

So it's not a simple black and white answer....and people using it for dole fraud, it takes a huge investment of time and effort to get anywhere near that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

4 kids, youngest, a twin diagnosed with adhd!
    Was he treated any different than his siblings, no, did we shove sugar down his throat to get a diagnoses, no. Is school & family life hard for him, extremely, is school an absolutely nightmare cause he has to sit for more than 5 mins & can’t, yes, has our family nearly fallen apart because his siblings and dad can’t understnd or handle the violent & physical outbursts, yes.
    We both work, he’s involved in sports as much as he can be. They are all treated the same & he is corrected same as the others. It’s horse **** that’s spouted by the op that annoys me, live with it on a day to day basis & see what you think about it just been bold kids whose parents can’t be arsed correcting them!

I can remember a woman on the radio saying 4 of her kids had ADHD now come on that's clearly taking the piss 1 is something but 4 how naive does someone have to be to believe that, and by the way she spoke she clearly didn't give a damn about what they got up to.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I can remember a woman on the radio saying 4 of her kids had ADHD now come on that's clearly taking the piss 1 is something but 4 how naive does someone have to be to believe that, and by the way she spoke she clearly didn't give a damn about what they got up to.

Wow, that's impressive how you can diagnose those 4 kids based off what their mother has said on the radio.

Boom_Bap wrote: »

Wow, that's impressive how you can diagnose those 4 kids based off what their mother has said on the radio.
    Its the way she came across she just sounded like she didn't give a damn and passed them off as having ADHD it just didn't sound genuine at all.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

You need to slap a label on them to get help

It's very wrong
    No, you don't. SEN teaching no longer works on that basis nor does CAHMS.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

All these new found conditions are just a way for social workers to feather their own nests and an easy way for schools to get more resources from the government
    I'd leave now, before you embarrass yourself further.

A large proportion of those with adhd develop it as a result of genetics, they've identified genes etc that are associated with it. So more than one child having it isn't unusual. Similar applies with autism.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭masterboy123

First of all ADHD is a neuro-psychiatric condition. Some people use the word "label" often for many of the psychiatric conditions, which should be avoided.

ADHD (term used in America) aka Hyperkinetic disorder (in Europe) is an Axis I diagnosis, which requires a thorough investigation and several diagnostic tests together with a clinical interview before it is diagnosed. If it's severe enough then stimulant medication are the recommended treatment. For mild cases, parenting and behavioural modifications are advised. And medications are reserved for cases where school / occupational functioning is effected. A regular follow up by doctor is required for those who are on medications because of frequent side effects, most commonly loss of appetite, initial insomnia, failure to thrive in extreme cases, etc.

Hope it gives you a brief idea on ADHD.

A large proportion of those with adhd develop it as a result of genetics, they've identified genes etc that are associated with it. So more than one child having it isn't unusual. Similar applies with autism.
    No its diagnosed by behaviour very different to genetics and Autism is completely different so its best not to compare it to ADHD which is being discussed here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

I have moderate to severe dyslexia and ADHD, i'm 48 and was only diagnosed in me early thirty's, but I agree with a lot here, it's challenging but not a reason to be a little bollix, kids with it need their parents to step up and not use it as an excuse for them being little cúnts, because it's not as severe as people make out in most caases, it's challenging, but i'm not going to die becuse of i t

21/25

Advertisement