Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is ADHD just a label thats put on children.

Options
  • 24-02-2018 8:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭

It seems ADHD is just a lazy label thats put on children with little basis in reality most of which is just normal childhood behaviour the fact is there's always been differences in children some are loud some are quiet some are sociable others less so yet now they must be labeled with a condition which gives parents the excuse to shriek responsibility towards their children. Children are different to each other why must they be labeled because of it why cant we just accept those differences instead of putting labels like ADHD on them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Mutant z wrote: »
    It seems ADHD is just a lazy label thats put on children with little basis in reality most of which is just normal childhood behaviour the fact is there's always been differences in children some are loud some are quiet some are sociable others less so yet now they must be labeled with a condition which gives parents the excuse to shriek responsibility towards their children. Children are different to each other why must they be labeled because of it why cant we just accept those differences instead of putting labels like ADHD on them.

There are probably a few mad fcukers who have ADHD but most kids that are diagnosed with it are just bold kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

BattleCorp wrote: »
    There are probably a few mad fcukers who have ADHD but most kids that are diagnosed with it are just bold kids.

Exactly its just a lazy diagnosis and used as an excuse for parents to not take responsibility for their own children.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Exactly its just a lazy diagnosis and used as an excuse for parents to not take responsibility for their own children.

How do you know?

What studies have you performed or read? Are you a doctor?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Isn’t this just a lazy generalisation and an excuse for to blame parents?

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Brian? wrote: »
    How do you know?

He saw a video on Youtube.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,354 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I've spoken to teachers about this and they generally say that getting a diagnosis of anything takes a good while and aren't handed out as lightly as people make it out to be.
    But if a diagnoses is made and they can extra resources to help the child it generally does help.
    I've seen kids being written off by teachers as bold children but when somebody came along and helped them they generally settled down. They might be the odd wobble.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

How do you know?

Brian? , you know we're not allowed be doctors or give legal advice , however I will give vetinary advice sprinkled with some anecdotal crap if needed.

How do you know?

I dont doubt some kids have issues but in many cases its just badly behaved kids who suddenly have a label put on them to excuse their behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

There is a huge difference between a child that has been assessed and diagnosed by experts and one who is simply said to have ADHD by a parent

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

It's not just a label. It's also a really great song by Kendrick Lamar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

You need to slap a label on them to get help

It's very wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭buried

Eight doobies to the face, F**k that

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

All these new found conditions are just a way for social workers to feather their own nests and an easy way for schools to get more resources from the government

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Too much sugar and E numbers, whatever you do don't give them Lucozade or RedBull unless they've actually got proper dengue fever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

All these new found conditions are just a way for social workers to feather their own nests and an easy way for schools to get more resources from the government
    its usually the parents who push for a diagnosis

it absolves them of any blame.
    they can go on not parenting or putting manners on their child

I dont doubt some kids have issues but in many cases its just badly behaved kids who suddenly have a label put on them to excuse their behaviour.

This opinion is based on what evidence?

For a start: what % of kids are diagnosed with ADHD?

they/them/theirs

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I met a bold kid once and im an expert in all medical conditions now and kids were never ever as terrible in all of history as now and they all need a smack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I'd ask for some proof, but it doesn't exist.

Yup, that's it, there's absolutely no other reason for it.

It's threads, and idiotic theories, like this that create stigma surrounding conditions like this. Mental health is serious and it doesn't need adolescent pseudo intellects to ridicule it.

My son has been in resource classes since 5 years of age , he's now 16 and benefits greatly along with being expected to do very well despite having " double digit" dyslexia , well worth a Google in itself along with a diagnosis of Predominantly Inattentive Presentation

No social worker is involved or was ever involved nor medication.In fact there would unlikely ever be a social worker involved in a diagnosis.

I'll always be grateful to his various teachers and resource teams for going that extra mile with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Everything from too much TV - too much sugar has been attached .

Diagnosing ADHD in children depends on a set of strict criteria. To be diagnosed with ADHD, your child must have six or more symptoms of inattentiveness, or six or more symptoms of hyperactivity and impulsiveness. See ADHD - Symptoms for examples of such symptoms.

The type of ADHD your child will be diagnosed with will depend on the number of symptoms they have from each group. For example, if they have eight symptoms of hyperactivity and impulsiveness and only three symptoms of inattentiveness, they will be diagnosed with ADHD mainly hyperactive-impulsive.

To be diagnosed with ADHD, your child must also have:

been displaying symptoms continuously for at least six months
    started to show symptoms before the age of seven - although in some cases a diagnosis can still be made if symptoms do not start until after this age
    been showing symptoms in at least two different settings - for example, at home and at school, to rule out the possibility that the behaviour is just a reaction to certain teachers or to parental control
    symptoms that make their lives considerably more difficult, on a social, academic or occupational level
    symptoms that are not just part of a developmental disorder or difficult phase, and are not better accounted for by another condition

• Advertisement

This opinion is based on what evidence?

For a start: what % of kids are diagnosed with ADHD?

Like i said kids can be a handful but you seriously cant believe everyone of them thats been diagnosed with ADHD actually have the conditions if they are hyperactive its often from a high sugary diet they are being fed like bottles of coca cola for instance that could set anyone off and simply a lack of discipline at home why what was once considered childhood misbehaviour suddenly been rediagnosed as ADHD.

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    its usually the parents who push for a diagnosis

it absolves them of any blame.
    they can go on not parenting or putting manners on their child

Load of bollox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

ADHD would be a good name for an AcDc tribute band.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭buried

I dunno lads, A lot of modern day mammys & daddys just want to have the kids to show how great they can breed and make little babies to show the rest of the tribe/community/family.

But then the babies grow up, start talking back, generating actual work and the added actual responsibility.

Then - "ME CHILD HAS GOT THE ADHD!!!"

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Do families with ADHD children qualify for DCA payments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Just remember without these "abnormal" kids we would have no internet no art no engineering no science

A very grey world without them

Just remember without these "abnormal" kids we would have no internet no art no engineering no science

How did you come to that conclusion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I can't agree with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

No it is definitely not just a label

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Name one

Advertisement