Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Victory for electoral fraud

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭MathDebater

How about the no voters suck it up and stop throwing tantrums?

If you feel laws have been broken, go to the police.

Otherwise, shut up and accept you lost

The result is not in question. I'm happy that the yes side won and life moves on. The issue is voter fraud and the media and politicians thinking it a great thing altogether. What happens next time if this craic goes on and the result is much closer ala the divorce referendum '95?

Forget about yes side or no side for a minute and look at the more longterm picture. The electoral register is a mess and wide open to abuse. It needs to be sorted out.

I have reported four people and it will be looked into. If they find that fraud electoral fraud has been committed then they will bring it to the AGs attention and go from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

The result is not in question. I'm happy that the yes side won and life moves on. The issue is voter fraud and the media and politicians thinking it a great thing altogether. What happens next time if this craic goes on and the result is much closer ala the divorce referendum '95?

Forget about yes side or no side for a minute and look at the more longterm picture. The electoral register is a mess and wide open to abuse. It needs to be sorted out.

I have reported four people and it will be looked into. If they find that fraud electoral fraud has been committed then they will bring it to the AGs attention and go from there.

Of course you're happy the yes side won. I totally believe that.

Like I said - report it instead of moaning to people who don't really care very much

Moan about corruption and fraud in Irish politics constantly. Ignore voter fraud when it 'benefits' your 'side'. The no side would have done the exact same too.

It's a joke.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

wil wrote: »
    The Gathering 2013 Home for the craic
    The Gathering 2015 Home to vote
    What'll they call the next episode?

The gathering 2016 Home to kick the rot out of Irish politics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Moan about corruption and fraud in Irish politics constantly. Ignore voter fraud when it 'benefits' your 'side'.
    What voter fraud?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Moan about corruption and fraud in Irish politics constantly. Ignore voter fraud when it 'benefits' your 'side'. The no side would have done the exact same too.

It's a joke.

No one is laughing, just getting bored.

What this referendum has highlighted even more clearly is the lack of security in our electoral system, how broken and open to abuse it is.

66,000 non-residents return to vote yes. Enda is overjoyed.

Non-Irish registered and voting and proud.

Way back when this recession kicked in ff said that on top of "a few billion" needed for the banks 200,000 Irish people had to emigrate to take the pressure off the state

You have no right to say anything about those who were forced into emigrating for work and the fact they came home at their own expense to help bring about a change!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

It's a joke.

I'm not saying it should be dismissed out of hand. Those that fraudently voted should be punished as it mocks the system and tarnishes the result. But it doesn't change the fact that the overwhelmingly majority of votes were valid and those who did so weren't in big enough numbers to effect the outcome.

What voter fraud?

Have you read the thread or just jumped in?
    Under section 5 of the Electoral Act 1963, it states:

(4) For the purposes of this section—

(a) a person shall be deemed not to have given up ordinary residence if he intends to resume residence within eighteen months after giving it up,

(b) a written statement by a person that he intends to resume residence within eighteen months after giving it up shall, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, be conclusive evidence of that fact.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1963/en/act/pub/0019/sec0005.html

Anyone who voted yesterday and who has not been resident for 18 months or who is not resident and does not plan to return within 18 months from the date that they left, should not have done so.

Anyone who voted yesterday and who has not been resident for 18 months or who is not resident and does not plan to return within 18 months from the date that they left should not have done so.
    How could they have voted so?! It's really strict at the polling booths. Mother of god. Coming here doesn't mean they actually got to vote in the end, ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Anyone who voted yesterday and who has not been resident for 18 months or who is not resident and does not plan to return within 18 months from the date that they left should not have done so.

As i said I the other thread, the likely interpretation is that you can effectively maintain your ordinary residence (for the purpose of that subsection) inðefinitely as long as:
    - you continue to have an intention to return within 18 months
    - there isn't convincing evidence to the contrary

In reality, therefore, it would be extremely difficult to ever prosecute someone under that provision, or to prevent such a person from voting.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,710 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Anyone who voted yesterday and who has not been resident for 18 months or who is not resident and does not plan to return within 18 months from the date that they left should not have voted yesterday.

FFS accusing someone of fraud is far more serious than voting when there is a question mark over whether that Act allows you to.

It's not fraud to come home to vote when you are an Irish citizen living abroad. How many times and by how many people do you need to be told this before you'll stop banging that ridiculous out-of-tune drum?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

If you are not Irish and you voted yesterday you are also breaking the law.
    Don't you know that everyone's 'equal' now? If people want to vote when they're not legally entitled to, let them.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭onlyme!

there be some arse riding tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

onlyme! wrote: »

Are you saying we should go the alternative route and risk her getting pregnant?

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭onlyme!

myshirt wrote: »
    Are you saying we should go the alternative route and risk her getting pregnant?

you're lucky if you have a choice!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Trying for a baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

If what you're saying is that's you think there will be a lot of men who like to express their love to each other in the most natural way they know tonight, because finally their country has not only supported but encouraged their love for one another, well then yes let's hope there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

anna080 wrote: »
    If what you're saying is that's you think there will be a lot of men who like to express their love to each other in the most natural way they know tonight, because finally their country has not only supported but encouraged their love for one another, well then yes let's hope there is.

And what about two lesbians doing butt stuff, huh? Bigot. :cool:

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

stefanovich would you have given a **** if the NO vote had won by any chance?

Of course not. Hypocrites and right wing reactionary nutcases care not a jot for the rule of law when the result is one they favour. Case in point Bush's stolen elections or illegal coups in Kiev. But they cry foul like schoolkids when the ball doesn't bounce their way (read Crimean referendum or marriage equality referendum)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

1. I voted yes.

2. The referendum would have been carried by a landslide anyway, without the relative handful of alleged overseas voters.

3. Much as it pains me to say it, the OP is right. If an Irish citizen and you're non-resident in the Republic, you can't vote in referenda.

From the Citizens Information site: "Overseas voters If you are an Irish citizen living abroad you cannot be entered on the register of electors. This means that you cannot vote in an election or referendum here in Ireland. (The only exception to this is in the case of Irish officials on duty abroad (and their spouses) who may register on the postal voters list).

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/moving_to_ireland/introduction_to_the_irish_system/right_to_vote.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

I wonder would the media be lavishing praise on those citizens coming home if they were Irish Americans from red states.
    And what constituencies would these hypothetical Irish Americans have been registered to vote in?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Egginacup wrote: »
    Of course not. Hypocrites and right wing reactionary nutcases care not a jot for the rule of law when the result is one they favour. Case in point Bush's stolen elections or illegal coups in Kiev. But they cry foul like schoolkids when the ball doesn't bounce their way (read Crimean referendum or marriage equality referendum)

You just had to, didn't you.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,710 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Duck Soup wrote: »
    3. Much as it pains me to say it, the OP is right. If an Irish citizen and you're non-resident in the Republic, you can't vote in referenda.

From the Citizens Information site: "Overseas voters If you are an Irish citizen living abroad you cannot be entered on the register of electors. This means that you cannot vote in an election or referendum here in Ireland. (The only exception to this is in the case of Irish officials on duty abroad (and their spouses) who may register on the postal voters list).

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/moving_to_ireland/introduction_to_the_irish_system/right_to_vote.html

I'm afraid this is simply untrue. You're entitled to vote as an Irish citizen abroad if you intend to resume residence here after 18 months of giving it up. As discussed here, this is as a matter of law, completely meaningless: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057434546

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I bet you're the guy from wicklow that objects to every planning permission in the county

How could they have voted so?! It's really strict at the polling booths. Mother of god. Coming here doesn't mean they actually got to vote in the end, ffs.

Don't know where you vote if it's really strict. Hand in polling card, name gets crossed off and then you're given a ballot paper. Pretty straightforward.

Duck Soup wrote: »

Hold up a minute, its not like hundreds of thousands did a dinny o brine and relocated to just avoid tax liabilities, they were forced out of the country so I say even if they're well over the 18 months let them flippin vote

Don't know where you vote if it's really strict. Hand in polling card, name gets crossed off and then you're given a ballot paper.
    Exactly. A polling card is needed, one of which you will not have if you cannot legally vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Roscommon/South Leitrim are holding out against this tide of filth!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

galljga1 wrote: »
    No one is laughing, just getting bored.

Im not sure what people are expecting, might as well open up a thread on their neighbor claiming disability but they think he is perfectly fine.

Advertisement