Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graham Linehan banned from twitter for questioning "trans ideology"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

LLMMLL wrote: »
    Ok so for female you are not using the "gamete" definition?

And yes, most people forget their junior cert biology. That's not a poor opinion of education standards. It's a normal opinion about the amount of people who retain can facts from their junior cert courses.

You said women in your last post. Are you now asking me what the definition of female is?

'a person bearing two X chromosomes in the cell nuclei and normally having a vagina, a uterus and ovaries, and developing at puberty a relatively rounded body and enlarged breasts, and retaining a beardless face; a girl or woman'.

The above is the the noun version.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/female

Or, if you'd prefer the adjective version:

'of or denoting the sex that can bear offspring or produce eggs, distinguished biologically by the production of gametes (ova) which can be fertilized by male gametes'.

https://www.google.com/search?q=female+definition&oq=female+defi&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l4.3313j0j9&client=ms-android-huawei&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Notice how being male rules you out from being female.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

You said women in your last post. Are you now asking me what the definition of female is?

'a person bearing two X chromosomes in the cell nuclei and normally having a vagina, a uterus and ovaries, and developing at puberty a relatively rounded body and enlarged breasts, and retaining a beardless face; a girl or woman'.

The above is the the noun version.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/female

Or, if you'd prefer the adjective version:

'of or denoting the sex that can bear offspring or produce eggs, distinguished biologically by the production of gametes (ova) which can be fertilized by male gametes'.

https://www.google.com/search?q=female+definition&oq=female+defi&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l4.3313j0j9&client=ms-android-huawei&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Would 99/100 people repeat those definitions?

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Most people would say it is unfair that this person won the 2018 UCI Masters Track Cycling World Championships for Women

rs=w:400,cg:true

Most people would say it is unfair that this person won two golds and a silver in three of the women’s heavyweight categories at the Pacific Games in Samoa in 2019
    Laurel-Hubbard.jpg?resize=270%2C180&ssl=1

Most people think it is unfair that this person smashed a woman's skull in an MMA fight

1369762860827Q2565.jpg

and is still boasting about it....on Twitter (until they deleted the tweet)
    fallon-fox.jpg?strip=all&lossy=1&resize=500%2C605&ssl=1

No matter how often the mantra is repeated that transwomen are women most people will eventually have a a moment where they will say No.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Gruffalox wrote: »
    No matter how often the mantra is repeated that transwomen are women most people will eventually have a a moment where they will say No.

I had a No moment myself just now when I saw Arlene Foster on the news.

I don’t expect Arlene Foster should be deprived of her liberty because in my opinion her visage is offensive.

That’s essentially what you’re expecting should happen because someone, for whatever reason, offends your sensitivities. How far do you imagine you can stretch that before people have their own No moment that deprives you of any authority you imagine you should have over others?

• Advertisement

I don’t expect Arlene Foster should be deprived of her liberty because in my opinion her visage is offensive.

That’s essentially what you’re expecting should happen because someone, for whatever reason, offends your sensitivities. How far do you imagine you can stretch that before people have their own No moment that deprives you of any authority you imagine you should have over others?
    Biological males should not be competing in women's sports, trans or not.

It's also not about the person's appearance. The photos above are all complimentary in fact, I would have thought. Fox's tweet is their own. It is about the fact that the mantra transwomen are women leads to incoherent results such as male bodied people defeating women in their sports.

Exception would have to be made or else female sports would die off. But once a single exception is made the whole basis of the gospel unravels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

And I’ve said it before on this thread but it seems to me that most people agree that sport should be segregated by biological sex. That’s just my perception and maybe I’m wrong but pretty much everywhere I’ve seen it discussed, whether on forums or beneath articles, that’s been the consensus. I think it’s because it is generally very easy to visually clock the disparity.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

So you're ok with trans women competing in female sports despite the scientific data showing they have a massive advantage from going through male puberty?

Screw the rights of biological women eh? Only trans rights are important.

I think you would find a lot more support if you conceded ground on at least a couple of issues like this one and if some of the LGBTQ community didn't set out to destroy the reputation and careers of those opposed to it.

It's also not about the person's appearance. The photos above are all complimentary in fact, I would have thought. Fox's tweet is their own. It is about the fact that the mantra transwomen are women leads to incoherent results such as male bodied people defeating women in their sports.

Exception would have to be made or else female sports would die off. But once a single exception is made the whole basis of the gospel unravels.

Check out this fantastic mic drop by Martina Navratilova on the topic yesterday:

https://twitter.com/martina/status/1278543915830870016?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Do you always define words by playing a round of Family Fortunes?

“We asked 100 people to define woman...”

KiKi III wrote: »

I feel like this could be a question on Pointless either. :pac: “Let’s see how many out of 100 thought...”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Check out this fantastic mic drop by Martina Navratilova on the topic yesterday:

https://twitter.com/martina/status/1278543915830870016?s=21

If you accept transwomen to be women then logically you are for biological males in women’s sports.

And what do you expect will happen when you make that declaration?

“Pack it up lads, Cteven decides who gets to compete against who”

It reminds me of the same sort of attitude of the Girl Scouts organisation when the Boy Scouts organisation recently decided that girls were welcome to join their organisation. Some people weren’t happy about it -

Girls can join the Boy Scouts now -- but not everyone is happy about it

Essentially, nobody is suggesting that girls and women cannot compete in girls and women’s sports any more. None of the competitors are entitled to medals in the first place, and other people competing if they really want to compete will continue to do so, and the minority who imagine it’s unfair will always find excuses to shove their competitors out of the competition in the hope of increasing their chances of winning. That mentality is as old as competitive sports itself. If other people don’t want to compete, I can’t see anyone trying to force them to.

It reminds me of the same sort of attitude of the Girl Scouts organisation when the Boy Scouts organisation recently decided that girls were welcome to join their organisation. Some people weren’t happy about it -

Essentially, nobody is suggesting that girls and women cannot compete in girls and women’s sports any more. None of the competitors are entitled to medals in the first place, and other people competing if they really want to compete will continue to do so, and the minority who imagine it’s unfair will always find excuses to shove their competitors out of the competition in the hope of increasing their chances of winning. That mentality is as old as competitive sports itself. If other people don’t want to compete, I can’t see anyone trying to force them to.

It’s not imagined that it’s unfair, it is unfair to have the biological advantages of being born male while competing in women’s sports.

Jesus Christ. Its already hard enough to get women to do sports past a certain age without compounding this by having them see men win medals in women's sports.

I'm sorry Jack, but I'll always question the agenda of someone who thinks men should be able to compete in women's sports, particularly if that person is a man themselves. To me it can only be nefarious. Why do you think the majority of sport is sex segregated to begin with?

Are you against having different age groups In sports aswell? I mean, that 13 year old who is afraid to compete against the 30 year old man is just making excuses, right!

BloodBath wrote: »
    So you're ok with trans women competing in female sports despite the scientific data showing they have a massive advantage from going through male puberty?

Screw the rights of biological women eh? Only trans rights are important.

I really don’t care about sports enough to be bothered who does or doesn’t compete to be honest. The governing bodies are free to set whatever rules they wish as long as they are compliant with the law in their respective jurisdictions.

That’s not saying screw anyone’s rights, it’s saying that everyone has equal rights and equal opportunities. You appear to want an advantageous outcome for women, but then how do you determine who among women is entitled to compete against other women? Because there are always winners and losers, and there are far more losers than winners. Do the losers get to decide who should compete against them? No they do not, and they never did.

BloodBath wrote: »
    I think you would find a lot more support if you conceded ground on at least a couple of issues like this one and if some of the LGBTQ community didn't set out to destroy the reputation and careers of those opposed to it.

I don’t think it would make any difference to the level of support anyone has if they allowed themselves to be discriminated against and accepted being treated as less than, when they are entitled to be treated equally.

You imagine people should be able to maintain positions in society where they are in a position to keep other people from being treated equally? Respectfully, I disagree. I don’t think anyone deserves to be protected by law when they aren’t willing to comply with the law themselves.

Sounds very much like do as I say, not as I do, or rather like JK pulling the ladder up after herself.

It’s not imagined that it’s unfair, it is unfair to have the biological advantages of being born male while competing in women’s sports.

Is it unfair that shortarses can’t compete with longbeans or vice versa as a consequence of differences in their biology?

Is it unfair that shortarses can’t compete with longbeans or vice versa as a consequence of differences in their biology?

They can. The best 2 footballers in the World are Linoel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo. Messi is 5'6, whereas Ronaldo 6'2.

Now, do you think any female footballer would ever have a shot at being the best footballer in the World if football was mixed? I'll help you out, they wouldn't. None would even make it to the professional ranks. The USA women's football team infamously lost 5-2 to to an U-15 academy team from Dallas. These lads weren't even the best 11 for their age group. The USA were the World Champions at the time (I think). Women's football would cease to exist if the sport became solely mixed.

Jesus Christ. Its already hard enough to get women to do sports past a certain age without compounding this by having them see men win medals in women's sports.

How do you know it won’t encourage more girls to compete?

I'm sorry Jack, but I'll always question the agenda of someone who thinks men should be able to compete in women's sports, particularly if that person is a man themselves. To me it can only be nefarious. Why do you think the majority of sport is sex segregated to begin with?

What it is to you Cteven is of no consequence to me really tbh. I’m sure you’re no doubt aware of the male feminist meme? :pac:

Are you against having different age groups In sports aswell? I mean, that 13 year old who is afraid to compete against the 30 year old man is just making excuses, right!

Depends on the sport tbh, I do nuance rather than blanket bans. In numerous sports competitions fairness is determined by a number of factors and not just the sex of the competitors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

jesus man...
    21 February 2020 • 9:40pm
    Transgender women were on Friday night facing further curbs on playing women’s rugby amid fears the sport’s rules could lead to serious injuries.

World Rugby on Friday announced a “comprehensive review” of its policy on transgender players, which currently allows trans women to play women’s rugby provided they reduce their testosterone levels.

It was also reported earlier this season that referees were quitting the women’s game over fears rules allowing trans women to play would lead to serious injuries and that officials had been warned not to challenge bearded or heavily muscled players....
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2020/02/21/world-rugby-tighten-transgender-policy/

A better comparison would be “is it fair if one woman takes testosterone to improve her performance and another doesn’t?”

• Registered Users Posts: 28,512 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Most people would say it is unfair that this person won the 2018 UCI Masters Track Cycling World Championships for Women

Most people would say it is unfair that this person won two golds and a silver in three of the women’s heavyweight categories at the Pacific Games in Samoa in 2019

Most people think it is unfair that this person smashed a woman's skull in an MMA fight

and is still boasting about it....on Twitter (until they deleted the tweet)

This might be a good time to remember that no such issues have arisen in sport in Ireland in the past four or five years since self-id was introduced.

It's also again fascinating to see the dedication to digging up obscure issues from obscure sports from obscure parts of the world to worry about, while ignoring the many difficulties that women and girls have in Ireland today competing in sports.

Are those highlighting the big bogey man of transgender women doing anything to address to poor coverage in Irish media or second-class status of female sports in general or the problems of drugs in sport?

Nah, they're sticking to the non-existent trans issue -which would lead a skeptic to question their genuine concern for women in sports.

This might be a good time to remember that no such issues have arisen in sport in Ireland in the past four or five years since self-id was introduced.

It's also again fascinating to see the dedication to digging up obscure issues from obscure sports from obscure parts of the world to worry about, while ignoring the many difficulties that women and girls have in Ireland today competing in sports.

Are those highlighting the big bogey man of transgender women doing anything to address to poor coverage in Irish media or second-class status of female sports in general or the problems of drugs in sport?

Nah, they're sticking to the non-existent trans issue -which would lead a skeptic to question their genuine concern for women in sports.

New Zealand is obscure is it? No it isn't.

They can. The best 2 footballers in the World are Linoel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo. Messi is 5'6, whereas Ronaldo 6'2.

Now, do you think any female footballer would ever have a shot at being the best footballer in the World if football was mixed? I'll help you out, they wouldn't. None would even make it to the professional ranks. The USA women's football team infamously lost 5-2 to to an U-15 academy team from Dallas. These lads weren't even the best 11 for their age group. The USA were the World Champions at the time (I think). Women's football would cease to exist if the sport became solely mixed.

I didn’t ask whether they could or the couldn’t, I already know they can. I asked Kiki does she think it’s UNFAIR?

I’m not surprised the US Women’s football team were beaten by a couple of teenagers, just like I wasn’t surprised when the US Women’s football team trounced Thailand Women’s football team 13-0 in the Women’s World Cup when they got the chance to show the world what they could do. They demonstrated they have no sense of fairness or sportsmanship -

U.S. women’s soccer is relentless — and unapologetic — in World Cup-record rout of Thailand

They genuinely couldn’t see how they could possibly have done anything wrong :pac:

Can you imagine Devon Toner crash ball-ing into a woman. All 127kg of him.

Can you imagine Devon Toner crash ball-ing into a woman. All 127kg of him.

I am glad to see you are fretful about ''the many difficulties women and girls have...in competing in sports'' and the ''second class status of female sports in general''.

Welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,512 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

New Zealand is obscure is it? No it isn't.
    It's a long, long way from there to here, isn't it?

Not sure why you'd expect to have much credibility on facts when you choose a username like that?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Crowder#Coronavirus_misinformation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

It's the only way to understand how people use language. To actually observe how people use it.

Advertisement