Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can someone in their 30s afford a house - PLEASE READ MOD WARNING IN OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,088 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Pretty depressing how getting the gold plated salary of 100K a year means you can't really buy a house in area's our parents would have bought on the same salary back in their day.

Might be depressing but it shouldn't be surprising to you.
    Compare the demand back then to now.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,088 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Pretty depressing how getting the gold plated salary of 100K a year means you can't really buy a house in area's our parents would have bought on the same salary back in their day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭beanyb

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    There's no possible. Way everyone can get the exact same start and legs up in life.

I know people who through luck and circumstance have better jobs, more money, 2nd properties and other benefits I don't have, some they worked hard for, some given to them. I don't begrudge any of it.

I'm better off than my parents thanks to their hard work to give me a good life and education. I hope my kids are much better off than I and I'll help any way I can.

To be bitter at the world for chance oppertunities they have gotten is akin to shouting at rainclouds.

In Ireland for most people, the gap between the well off and ordinary folk is not nearly as wide as in most of the world.

Work with what you have and stop looking around at what others have and you haven't

Nobody is begrudging anything, we're just suggesting that taxing inherited wealth (which is currently set at quite a high level) to fund public services is a good way to even the inherently unfair playing field that is our society.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 111 ✭✭Deadmou5e

Get a caravan for a year

• Registered Users Posts: 20,555 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

beanyb wrote: »
    Privilege isn't only about getting special treatment. It is also a structural issue where you have easier access to good schools, jobs, and therefore to money than other people. It doesn't mean you didn't work hard but it means there were some obstacles that you didn't have to overcome to get your house that some others could never even dream of.

Inherited wealth that gives some children an advantage over others whose parents couldn't afford to own their own is one of these structures.

We live in Ireland .There are not the structural barriers stopping you from becoming what you want as there are in other countries,

Yes there are a minority of people who have terrible childhoods and lives but you can't claim anyone with a house is privileged its absolute nonsense .

A lot of time people like to blame privilege for them not being in the position of others , when come down to poor choices they made,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

True. In the UK, in comparison established urban houses, 'new build' houses are among the cheapest on the market. A developer builds uniform 3 bed semi detached houses on a plot of land, young couples buy them up, raise their children with the aim to move out later in life.

In Ireland, 'new build' houses seem to be the among most expensive in an area, leaving young people with heavy debt of mortgage repayments each month. An obvious solution to this would be to build more houses, relaxing the demand on these new built homes and therefore reducing the prices to a more sustainable and manageable level.

I don't find that in the slightest. I'm on the commuter line between Southend and London, a lot closer to Southend and I find new build houses ridiculously expensive.

An example that we viewed a few years ago can be seen below. The cheapest 4 bed house left is over £464,000. The 3 beds were not cheap either. That's nearly 50% more than we paid for our 1970's 4 bed semi, that's bigger, has a proper separate dining room, actual front and rear gardens and is a 10 minute walk to the station (no en suites though, just the two regular shared bath/showerrooms :( ) - https://www.countrysideproperties.com/all-developments/essex/st-lukes-park

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Nobody is begrudging anything, we're just suggesting that taxing inherited wealth (which is currently set at quite a high level) to fund public services is a good way to even the inherently unfair playing field that is our society.

Tax has already been paid on that money.
    Public service is over funded. If it needs anything, It needs accountability for its financial decisions. Make people Accountable, put jobs on the line for multiple bad decisions and probects will start being run properly with due care and attention.

People need to learn they can't have everything and taxation and regulation certainly isn't the way to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

theteal wrote: »
    I don't find that in the slightest. I'm on the commuter line between Southend and London, a lot closer to Southend and I find new build houses ridiculously expensive.

An example that we viewed a few years ago can be seen below. The cheapest 4 bed house left is over £464,000. The 3 beds were not cheap either. That's nearly 50% more than we paid for our 1970's 4 bed semi, that's bigger, has a proper separate dining room, actual front and rear gardens and is a 10 minute walk to the station (no en suites though, just the two regular shared bath/showerrooms :( ) - https://www.countrysideproperties.com/all-developments/essex/st-lukes-park

I was a bit shocked myself

The last thing people think of when looking at London, outskirts or otherwise is cheap property

• Registered Users Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

its not at a high level at all, if you wanted to leave a standard house in dublin to a child you couldnt without them having a tax bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Springy Turf

Cyrus wrote: »
    its not at a high level at all, if you wanted to leave a standard house in dublin to a child you couldnt without them having a tax bill.

Only in the case of 1 child. if the house was worth 500k, they would be liable for 55k in tax - in an around 10%. If there are 2 children, it's 0. It's a very low tax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

limnam wrote: »
    I was a bit shocked myself

The last thing people think of when looking at London, outskirts or otherwise is cheap property

Ha ha, outskirts :D

Outskirts was when we lived in Romford. We're out in the proper Essex badlands now, cheaper than London obviously but decent houses are by no means cheap. . . I suppose you could get a slum in Basildon on the cheap??? Then again, I suspect this is what you pay for having a proper rail commuter network (albeit much derided and expensive) but that estate that I linked is not even close to a station.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Figel Narage

GreeBo wrote: »

Didnt say I was suprised just depressed about the situation

Only in the case of 1 child. if the house was worth 500k, they would be liable for 55k in tax - in an around 10%. If there are 2 children, it's 0. It's a very low tax.

the two children get half a house each :rolleyes:

the two children get half a house each :rolleyes:

Yes?

Yes?

its not a low tax

its not a low tax

The tax rate is high, but if we're only talking parent->child transfers, the threshold is reasonable. €335k tax-free is a large inheritance, and you'll get 67% of the rest.

Ireland’s inheritance tax thresholds are extremely low and rate of tax very high. We are Up there with the most draconian in the world when it comes to inheritances/gifts. Loads of countries don’t even have inheritance tax and many that do have far higher threashold. It’s around 1 million in the Uk for example.

Inheritance/gift tax is an abomination, absolute disgusting theft of a tax that is promoted by the worst begrudgers we have in the country, they don’t get an inheritance so they don’t want anyone else too. Like a child in the play ground.

Inheritance tax within the family should be totally abolished, parents should be able to give whatever they want to their children with out a single cent if tax being owed the same as a married couple can. A child and their parent are an even closer relation that a married couple so no reason they shouldn’t be entitled to free access to all their families money without the dirty grubby hands of revenue getting even a sniff.

Society isn’t fair, and never will be so tough s*it a families money should not be going to anyone outside the family it should be making the best life and giving the best head start to the next generation of the family and putting them ahead of others and making their lives easier.

Loads of countries don’t even have inheritance tax and many that do have far higher threashold. It’s around 1 million in the Uk for example.

https://www.gov.uk/inheritance-tax. No mention of 1 million. No reference to back up your assertion. Not sure I would want to model anything about Ireland on the U.K. anyway. Brexit is what happens when you have so much inequality a country starts to implode.
    Inheritance/gift tax is an abomination, absolute disgusting theft of a tax that is promoted by the worst begrudgers we have in the country, they don’t get an inheritance so they don’t want anyone else too. Like a child in the play ground.
    Believe it or not, people can have political views that go against their own financial interest. People who understand that a fairer society makes life better for everyone. What's childish is calling people who disagree with you begrudgers and children.
    Society isn’t fair, and never will be so tough s*it

So we shouldn't try to make it more fair?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,248 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Ireland’s inheritance tax thresholds are extremely low and rate of tax very high. We are Up there with the most draconian in the world when it comes to inheritances/gifts. Loads of countries don’t even have inheritance tax and many that do have far higher threashold. It’s around 1 million in the Uk for example.

Inheritance tax within the family should be totally abolished, parents should be able to give whatever they want to their children with out a single cent if tax being owed the same as a married couple can. A child and their parent are an even closer relation that a married couple so no reason they shouldn’t be entitled to free access to all their families money without the dirty grubby hands of revenue getting even a sniff.

Society isn’t fair, and never will be so tough s*it a families money should not be going to anyone outside the family it should be making the best life and giving the best head start to the next generation of the family and putting them ahead of others and making their lives easier.

It's argued that inheritance tax is the absolute fairest tax and most socially progressive -whats even better is that it isn't a tax on anyone that's alive, so no one can complain about having to pay it.

The real problem with inherited wealth is that it drives inequality. Wealth begets wealth and inheritance is an unearned advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

It's argued that inheritance tax is the absolute fairest tax and most socially progressive -whats even better is that it isn't a tax on anyone that's alive, so no one can complain about having to pay it.

The real problem with inherited wealth is that it drives inequality. Wealth begets wealth and inheritance is an unearned advantage.

why is progressive synonymous with good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

To me, never doing a day's work whilst getting looked after from cradle to grave with everything paid for by someone else is the very definition of the word privileged.

To others its an excuse not to even try to better their own situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Pkiernan wrote:
    To me, never doing a day's work whilst getting looked after from cradle to grave with everything paid for by someone else is the very definition of the word privileged.

So what causes long term unemployment?

Wanderer78 wrote: »

An unwillingness to work in most cases

Cyrus wrote:

Go again!

Go again!

Cyrus wrote:

Put some effort into it please, there's plenty of research out there on this, there's a similar set of problems occuring amongst prison populations also

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The national broadband plan is going to help majorly. When you have top broadband even at rural locations, people will leave the expensive cities.

A few, not many.

People love to say "Oh why doesnt big company X open their office in Mayo", its not broadband thats stopping them. Their workforce want to live in a city. An internet connection a lifestyle not make.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭The Student

Generous welfare system where you have a better standard of living than that which you would have if you worked.

Generous welfare system where you have a better standard of living than that which you would have if you worked.

I always wondered about those who say this, have you ever actually tried to survive long term on welfare? spare a thought for those that do, add in a few other things such as little or no education, particularly to third level etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Pkiernan wrote: »
    why is progressive synonymous with good?
    Because, in general, its about trying to create a fairer and better society. Progressive just means that's it a policy or idea that removes some of the old biases from our society and thinking. A progression of ideals

Advertisement