Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

swiwi_ wrote: »
    I dunno. If someone invaded Ireland would you just say « stupid » or would you go out and fight?

Among other things the Vietnam War was stupid because there was no real buy-in from the South. If you go where you’re not wanted your bound to fail.

I’d hate to fight but if it was a question of defending the wife & kids and the surrounding community from a foreign invader I probably would.

Yes but that’s not exactly what I meant, defending yourself against invasion isn’t stupid, but the invasion in the first place is. We tend to glorify war based on victory, or a perceived right and wrong. The fact is, going to war is stupid, because generally it serves the need of few and costs the lives of many. In most cases the few it serves are the ones with the least direct involvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

errlloyd wrote: »
    Hipsters like nice things. It's what differentiates them from actual hippies who like "good" things.

Funny how people give out about "hipster shìte".

That "hipster shìte" have given us great coffee, wonderful selections of beers, the whole donut experience etc. Areas that were once down at heel are now buzzing with life - nice bars, coffee shops, cafes etc.

I think it's great that you can go into a bar now and get a selection of 30+ beers rather than the same 5 diageo bland pìss that's been a staple in every pub since forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

.ak wrote: »
    Yeah but without it we’d never have Apocolypse Now.

One of the most boring films I’ve ever watched.

Platoon on the other hand...

“Free your mind, your @ss will follow.”

“When the machine breaks down, we break down. And I won’t allow that. In any of ya.”

Great movie. Haven’t watched it in years, must set aside some time for the this week.

The ride of the Valkaries sceene in apocalypse now, is worth the entry fee on its own.

“I love the smell of Napalm in the morning”

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Both good movies. Hamburger Hill and Full Metal Jacket another couple of good ones that came out of that war.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,045 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Zzippy wrote: »
    Both good movies. Hamburger Hill and Full Metal Jacket another couple of good ones that came out of that war.

best vietnam war movie was 'the deer hunter'

didi mao ... DIDI MAO !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭swiwi_

sydthebeat wrote: »
    best vietnam war movie was 'the deer hunter'

didi mao ... DIDI MAO !!

Yeah that was a good movie as well.

I hated, HATED, Apocolypse Now. But it's considered "cool" to find it a classic. And I imagine some people do actually like it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

One of the most boring films I’ve ever watched.

Platoon on the other hand...

giphy.gif

CatFromHue wrote: »
    You ever read Chickenhawk by Robert Mason?

It highlighted how stupid it was before it got really stupid!

Also you'll fancy your chances of being able to at least hover in a helicopter after reading it.

+1

Brilliant book, got me into flying helicopters / getting my pilots licence.

I hated, HATED, Apocolypse Now. But it's considered "cool" to find it a classic. And I imagine some people do actually like it too.

I absolutely love trippy movies, and as most of the cast were out of their mind on pyschadelics this movie transcends the form of imitation for me. There’s a deep resonance of something dark from every shot that they actually managed to edit together despite the many issues filming, you can feel the tension through the film, tension that was not intentional, and that’s the actual star for me. It’s a piece of history not because of the subject manner but because of how it was made and the nature that surrounded it.

You will never see anything done like it again.

But yeah, I can see why people would find it boring. In terms of a traditional bit of story telling **** all happens. My missus fell asleep about 40 min in when I showed it to her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

It is a classic you heathen!!

And so is Platoon.

I liked all the movies mentioned so far and I'd like to add We Were Soldiers to the list. I'd read the book before hand and thought they did a good job with the movie even though it was only the first half of the book.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    It is a classic you heathen!!

And so is Platoon.

I liked all the movies mentioned so far and I'd like to add We Were Soldiers to the list. I'd read the book before hand and thought they did a good job with the movie even though it was only the first half of the book.

Can we broaden it out to WW2?* Thought The Thin Red Line was a great movie, even better book...

*First person to mention Escape to Victory gets a 2 week ban

.ak once had to eat tofu fried in animal fat. It was his own personal Vietnam, it's why he can relate to films like apocalypse now in ways the rest of us will never understand.

Can we broaden it out to WW2?* Thought The Thin Red Line was a great movie, even better book...

What about the great escape? :D

Full metal jacket is probably the best of the Vietnam movies, with Platoon a close second. Born on the 4th of July was pretty good to, even getting over the obstacle of having Cruise in the lead roll.

.ak once had to eat tofu fried in animal fat. It was his own personal Vietnam, it's why he can relate to films like apocalypse now in ways the rest of us will never understand.

I've seen things, man...

I've seen things, man...

Jacobs ladder?

stephen_n wrote: »
    What about the great escape? :D

Full metal jacket is probably the best of the Vietnam movies, with Platoon a close second. Born on the 4th of July was pretty good to, even getting over the obstacle of having Cruise in the lead roll.

FMJ is probably my favourite too. A brilliant snapshot into the FUBAR of the situation itself, to borrow a phrase.

The book is brilliant if you haven’t read it tho, check it out. The movie is cut short in comparison to the book. Also some scenes in the book are just mental you couldn’t really put them in the movie, like the bit when they meet the officer on the road...

Jacobs ladder?

:eek:

• Subscribers Posts: 41,045 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Jacobs ladder?

great movie !! a personal fav

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I'm gonna shout the recent Dunkirk. Loved that.

• Advertisement

Ah jeepers the thin red line?! There is Apocalyse Now grade of boring and then there is The Thin Red Line. There are war films and then there is art house masquerading as a war film.

Never watched full metal jacket. It’s by Kubrick and after a Clockwork Orange and especially Eyes Wide Shut...I’ve been steering well clear.

Never watched full metal jacket. It’s by Kubrick and after a Clockwork Orange and especially Eyes Wide Shut...I’ve been steering well clear.

Couldn’t be more different from those movies bar maybe the toilet scene.

Give it a watch, it’s defo worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Totally with you on The Thin Red Line. I didn't get what was so good about that film. Full Metal Jacket is worth a watch though. Not up there with the likes of Platoon, but still a good film. Almost exactly in between Platoon and Apocalypse Now I'd say.

And any time I read or hear anything about that film all I hear in my head is:

"M-I-C K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E, Mickey Mouse <mickey mouse> Mickey Mouse...."

Don't worry, it's not as weird as it seems. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Jack Kanoff

You're all wrong :D

Das Boot is the greatest war movie of all time
    (Even better as a miniseries... ( Jurgen Prochnow was amazing and the atmospheric soundtrack all added to the claustrophobic feeling )

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

(Even better as a miniseries... ( Jurgen Prochnow was amazi

I concur

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Darkest Hour was great.

Lily James.........

(Even better as a miniseries... ( Jurgen Prochnow was amazing and the atmospheric soundtrack all added to the claustrophobic feeling )

Oh god I love that movie. Defo one of my favourite.

Now if we’re talking war movies/series in general I’d have to have a good think.

Band of Brothers probably tops it for me.

Yeah I’ll give you that. Plus the Russian film Come and See.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

+1

Brilliant book, got me into flying helicopters / getting my pilots licence.

Yeah it is.

I read it about every 2 years at this stage and it's always a great read.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement