Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Share Picks 2018

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Well done to anyone who got in on HIVE recently. Thanks to DrunkMonkey for the tip, my favourite and most resourceful boards forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,337 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Well done to anyone who got in on HIVE recently. Thanks to DrunkMonkey for the tip, my favourite and most resourceful boards forum.

Yea everyone doing well except me:o, Jamie Lanister is probably kicking himself for taking the small boat. Looks like were at the 12th of October again right now it's looking to break out. It done very well to come out the right side of last week with all those cheap shares hitting the market.
    Next bunch is at 2.80 in March. Hopefully well past that by then. I'd love to be day trading this only i'm in to high to free up the cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭JaimeLannister

Yeah very happy with how Hive has been going. My timing was mainly luck now i have to admit. I only put in 20% of my available balance at the time with a view to buying more but happy to just let it run for now as is. So could be up 5x times as much but given the volatility in the stock at the time i played it relatively safe and no regrets about that. Might add more if there's any dips in the next week in the run up to results. But would rather just see it rise each day! :)

Was expecting a good day today after the market being closed yday and how well cryptos had done over the long wknd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

OwlsZat wrote: »
    Pluristem Therapeutics (NASDAQ:PSTI)

Anyone following?

Not sure on the timing of their regulatory approvals but the approach is imo likely to be the real birth of modern medicine. 3 million doses ready to go. Insane money being spent too. Will have to time the entry point well.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭kitchenchair

Do people think it is worth jumping on the HIVE bandwagon now (around the $2 mark) or has that ship sailed?

Do people think it is worth jumping on the HIVE bandwagon now (around the $2 mark) or has that ship sailed?

I'm still waiting for lower, nothing happening at the moment so it's still drifting, failed to get filled again today had a buy order in a 1.95 will drop that to 1.85 or 1.90 tomorrow.
    Anything under two is a bargain.

I'm still waiting for lower, nothing happening at the moment so it's still drifting, failed to get filled again today had a buy order in a 1.95 will drop that to 1.85 or 1.90 tomorrow.
    Anything under two is a bargain.

Yeah I was wondering whether to hold out to 1.90 myself. Thanks for the reply.

I missed out on 1.80 as was hiding in the bushes at 1.70, 1.85 and i'd be happy, there's no catalyst to drive the price up at the moment so it could happen. Possibly at start of trading tomorrow.

I missed out on 1.80 as was hiding in the bushes at 1.70, 1.85 and i'd be happy, there's no catalyst to drive the price up at the moment so it could happen. Possibly at start of trading tomorrow.
    I have my order in anyways and we'll see what happens tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Can I ask a complete newb question, and probably a personal one at that - but how many shares do people generally buy when trading €1.50 - €2 shares?

Sorry if that’s like asking how much someone’s take home pay is, but I’m still learning the ropes and just wanted a gauge of things

Thanks

Can I ask a complete newb question, and probably a personal one at that - but how many shares do people generally buy when trading €1.50 - €2 shares?

Sorry if that’s like asking how much someone’s take home pay is, but I’m still learning the ropes and just wanted a gauge of things

Thanks

300 shares mininum at that price. Ultinately comes down to the cost of the trade for me.

That's it, all down to the cost of trade.

Note of caution, cheap shares (aka penny stocks) can give great rewards but also can bring you to tears.

You'll see some of us talking about Hive above, this is pure madmen stuff, It's around 2 dollars as it's only released 12 days earnings and is in the crypto space. It's about as speculative as you can get when it comes to shares. Not for beginners.

I'd advise picking safe companies starting off until you get the hang of things. Stop losses, take profits etc. For example nobody has got roasted buying Microsoft in the last 8 years but you can still make profit buying and selling it daily if you've enough money.

Put in what you can afford. You won't loose it all. You might if you listen to some of us but start safe and you should be fine. I find it a lot easier invest in companies i've an interest in as you don't mind tracking the news which can give a bit of movement up or down in share price. Set up google alerts for whatever stock you buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Note of caution, cheap shares (aka penny stocks) can give great rewards but also can bring you to tears.

You'll see some of us talking about Hive above, this is pure madmen stuff, It's around 2 dollars as it's only released 12 days earnings and is in the crypto space. It's about as speculative as you can get when it comes to shares. Not for beginners.

I'd advise picking safe companies starting off until you get the hang of things. Stop losses, take profits etc. For example nobody has got roasted buying Microsoft in the last 8 years but you can still make profit buying and selling it daily if you've enough money.

Put in what you can afford. You won't loose it all. You might if you listen to some of us but start safe and you should be fine. I find it a lot easier invest in companies i've an interest in as you don't mind tracking the news which can give a bit of movement up or down in share price. Set up google alerts for whatever stock you buy.

Thanks. Yeah Iv read up on the more safer stock for long term, but could be next year until I dip my toe in the shorter trade end and have some knowledge under my belt. Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

That's great advice for newbies to be fair. Thanks. (Went in on a few different companies on Degiro last week - ones that are 'blue chip' and not going anywhere - Ryanair, Smurfitt Kappa, Dalata and Providence. Various share prices and amounts but put in about €1500 altogether. Portfolio currently down a whopping €13 :(:P!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

That's great advice for newbies to be fair. Thanks. (Went in on a few different companies on Degiro last week - ones that are 'blue chip' and not going anywhere - Ryanair, Smurfitt Kappa, Dalata and Providence. Various share prices and amounts but put in about €1500 altogether. Portfolio currently down a whopping €13 :(:P!

Why just focus on Ireland? There's a whole world of shares out there!

• Advertisement

Browney7 wrote: »
    Why just focus on Ireland? There's a whole world of shares out there!

Need to work eat and sleep as well. Can't research every publicly traded company on the planet! For now I'm gonna confine myself to Ireland stocks I think.

Think it's going to open at 1.86 or below today judging by the pre market. Don't see today having a good ending, well good for me trying to pick up cheap shares but won't be pretty I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

Went in on a few different companies on Degiro last week - ones that are 'blue chip' and not going anywhere - Ryanair, Smurfitt Kappa, Dalata and Providence.

You were going great there with your list of 'blue chip' companies, and then you mention Providence.....................

Buy Canadian green chips, they grow a lot faster than the Irish blue chips.

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    You were going great there with your list of 'blue chip' companies, and then you mention Providence.....................

I was wasn't I?! Kinda lost the run of meself. Got cocky thinking I knew what I was on about !

• Advertisement

Anyone get in low today with HIVE?

Picked up a few in Frankfurt at 1.25. Happy enough with that, had a buy in at 1.85 and it flashed down to 1.86 on the tsxv kicked myself as usual.
    Looking to break out over 2 by close by the looks of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Providence could yet be the bolter of that lot. The others, for various reasons are now trading in tight bands and will need major good news to make any significant gains.

Providence could yet be the bolter of that lot. The others, for various reasons are now trading in tight bands and will need major good news to make any significant gains.

You may be right but....
    Since they announced their whopper of a gusher the share price has dropped by 98/99%, some people have made a lot of money, very few of them shareholders, one lad in the company has made around €6.2 million, is there some golden nugget out there to provide some value for shareholders, I'll believe it when I see it (on second thought I'm not sure I will).

HIVE is probably on the crypto scale for risk, and also volatility I'd imagine. A good stock to have fun with.

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    HIVE is probably on the crypto scale for risk, and also volatility I'd imagine. A good stock to have fun with.

Which is what I'm doing :)

What's driving the interest? Earnings statement next week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭littlevillage

You may be right but....
    Since they announced their whopper of a gusher the share price has dropped by 98/99%, some people have made a lot of money, very few of them shareholders, one lad in the company has made around €6.2 million, is there some golden nugget out there to provide some value for shareholders, I'll believe it when I see it (on second thought I'm not sure I will).

Thats exactly the reason my friend. Remember Cork123456789 didn't buy in at €7.50 a share a couple of years ago, he bought in a couple of days ago at probabaly .09 per share. :)

Thats exactly the reason my friend. Remember Cork123456789 didn't buy in at €7.50 a share a couple of years ago, he bought in a couple of days ago at probabaly .09 per share. :)

Fair enough, so Cork123456789 is only down around 11% after the week, but give it time. I hope Cork123456789 or whoever else is invested in this BOS makes a killing, but blue chip it certainly aint.

Fair enough, so Cork123456789 is only down around 11% after the week, but give it time. I hope Cork123456789 or whoever else is invested in this BOS makes a killing, but blue chip it certainly aint.

Me sums could be wrong but I think i'm up a couple of € in net terms after de giro fees. Erra, it's not one that's gonna bother me. If this and Hive goes through the floor and evaporates, I've only a couple of hundred in them. Can still pay rent:)

Think it's worth mentioning stop losses as have a feeling not everyone is used to them.

Going to use Company A as an example, I don't think their stock will ever got to 1.65 or something is seriously wrong. So you should set a stop loss this is a sell order.

So I buy 300 shares @1.95, I set a stop loss to trigger if the share price hits 1.65. Therefore my maximum loss it 300 x .30 cent. (difference between the buy and sell price). So your exposure to a falling price is limited to a 90 euro loss.

Never enter a trade with the intention of ending up with 0.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭LG1234

Has anyone invested in an Irish REIT, either Green or Hibernia? Thinking if going with Hibernia myself, any thoughts on it?

LG1234 wrote: »
    Has anyone invested in an Irish REIT, either Green or Hibernia? Thinking if going with Hibernia myself, any thoughts on it?

Yes and sold it was like watching paint dry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭LG1234

Yes and sold it was like watching paint dry.

I'm looking for somewhere relatively low risk with a decent dividends, so that's why I'm considering the REITs, so I won't mind if it's like watching paint dry :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭championc

LG1234 wrote:
    I'm looking for somewhere relatively low risk with a decent dividends, so that's why I'm considering the REITs, so I won't mind if it's like watching paint dry

Google "shares best dividend yield" and get a feel for the levels from different countries.

Some years ago I got some Great West LifeCo (GWO.TO) shares after they bought Canada Life. I get about 4% annually, in 4 quarterly payments. This held up well all over the last couple of years despite the financial turmoils elsewhere.

Going to day trade HIVE commencing tomorrow. Interesting times ahead.

championc wrote: »
    Google "shares best dividend yield" and get a feel for the levels from different countries.

Some years ago I got some Great West LifeCo (GWO.TO) shares after they bought Canada Life. I get about 4% annually, in 4 quarterly payments. This held up well all over the last couple of years despite the financial turmoils elsewhere.

The tax on dividends is a killer though? If you're on the higher rate of tax you're paying 52%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Flutewood wrote: »
    Is there any issues buying NYSE shares through Degiro, in terms of tax implications or fees to be aware of?

No issues and fees are listed on their site.

Of course normal CGT tax rules apply.

Going to day trade HIVE commencing tomorrow. Interesting times ahead.

The volume was terrible on Friday, wouldn't be a stock to day trade with volume so low. Would like to see it back to 2 million at least.

The volume was terrible on Friday, wouldn't be a stock to day trade with volume so low. Would like to see it back to 2 million at least.

Opened at 1.20 today. Nice price

• Advertisement

Sure we'll give it a go anyway!:pac:

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Opened at 1.20 today. Nice price

€ you mean:confused:

€ you mean:confused:

Sorry, I'm talking about HBF.BE, which is sold in euros out of the Frankfurt stock exchange.

Thank chr1st. I'm on the Loonie dollars.

On a related note - why was the Toronto price moving this morn Irish time if it was the middle of the night in Toronto?

In at $1.89 again.

In at $1.89 again.

Volume is terrible agin it’ll struggle to go much higher could even go lower.

• Advertisement

Have another order at 1.80. Another bounce to 2.00 and I'll sell nearly half my holdings this week for a tidy overall profit.

Have another order at 1.80. Another bounce to 2.00 and I'll sell nearly half my holdings this week for a tidy overall profit.

I’ll be concerned if we’re not way above $2 this week. Thursday could be the day, new month, earnings out and Chinese New Year finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,967 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Is Amazon just going to keep rising? One of my all time regrets that I didn't load up when I first started using it years ago, I knew it was going to be big.

Providence Resources up over 8% yesterday - nothing in the news though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Thargor wrote: »
    Is Amazon just going to keep rising? One of my all time regrets that I didn't load up when I first started using it years ago, I knew it was going to be big.

Likewise. Baulked at $400. Have never been able to forgive myself :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement