Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Dardania wrote: »
    Very good ideas there thereality - might take a punt or two on BOI and Synchrony Financial - very solid reasoning. Any risk that the continued drip feed IPO of AIB might take from BOI?

I’m long term investor in Green REIT since their IPO - got in at 1.05. Seem to be very promising - particularly with Brexit driving demand for office space.

Bank of Ireland Share price flying at the moment, hoping to get on board but waiting for it to maybe pause and slip back a bit and then I'll jump on.

Bought some Green Reit today @€;1.554 hope I'm not late to the party? :rolleyes:

A few things about it attract me.

- Commercial rents are only going one direction in Ireland and will keep going that way for some time into the future, so Green's future income is gauranteed.
    - Its got very high Asset value backing its share price, NBV is at .89. and these assets are getting more and more valuable and thus making the share price seem cheap, as they go up.
    - and add to all that the fact that Green give about a 3% dividend per year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭LG1234

My picks for 2018:

TAW - like most other people on this forum! Got in at 31c a share so very happy with the return so far and feel it has a long way to go. Hoping this will be at east $1 by the year end of the year

PLS - also got that tip here. Very happy with the return so far

BOI - holding these since April last year and they were a constant red on my portfolio, I was going to sell but the share price has been flying ahead the last few weeks so I'm happy to hold

Cap-xx - got in around this time last year when it was 7p a share, then got in again at 11p and 13p. It rose to 17p at one stage but has dropped back down to 14p due to lack of news. News could come any day now and send it flying back up. I think they're a very good company with bags of potential. I'm hoping this will be a big year for Cap-x and I'm hoping to see it at around 25p a share by the end of the year.

Dalata Hotel group - I love this share. I'm up about 20% since I got in during the summer. Demand for hotel rooms in Ireland is only going to increase this year.

Mastercard - I got in at $1.10 a share around March last year. Now at €1.48 a share and still rising every week. I thought the rise of crypto would of put a stop to rises but it hasn't. I'm not going to accumulate anymore but I'm going to hold what I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 cork93

Bank of Ireland Share price flying at the moment, hoping to get on board but waiting for it to maybe pause and slip back a bit and then I'll jump on.

Bought some Green Reit today @€;1.554 hope I'm not late to the party? :rolleyes:

A few things about it attract me.

- Commercial rents are only going one direction in Ireland and will keep going that way for some time into the future, so Green's future income is gauranteed.
    - Its got very high Asset value backing its share price, NBV is at .89. and these assets are getting more and more valuable and thus making the share price seem cheap, as they go up.
    - and add to all that the fact that Green give about a 3% dividend per year.

I would be careful with Green REIT at current valuation. I cashed out a couple months ago @1.53.

The rate of commercial rate increases is likely to decrease significantly as more supply comes on board this year.

Yes underlying asset valuation is high but this is merely a number on paper which has been highly inflated in recent years. As this is a REIT I would focus more on the future cash flows are how much will be returned to shareholders.

The final straw for me was the amount of compensation given to management when compared with actual rental income. The "gains" to date are largely based on revaluation of existing assets.

It's probably not the worst investment out there but I don't see much upside potential and there's a risk of getting hit in general market downturn.

Just my 2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭HowItsMade

Good time to get into Paddy Power Betfair shares at the minute.

Companies merged in 2016 with a surge in price settling down in 2017 which was up and down.

New CEO is taking the reins tomorrow, and with the World Cup in the summer and increasing gate sales and prize money at almost all the big race tracks it will be a welcomed change.

There's also increasing pushes for review of regulating and legalizing gambling in the states as the black market for gambling now amounts to circa 2 billion/annum.

PPB have the strongest market share of any UK player stateside with a fully regulated exchange in New Jersey and they've recently acquired the Fantasy Games Player "Draft" not to be confused with DraftKings the market leader.

No guarantees this will happen this year though, but with everything else going on in 2018 it should be a good year.

PRICE (EUR)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

HowItsMade wrote: »
    Good time to get into Paddy Power Betfair shares at the minute.

Companies merged in 2016 with a surge in price settling down in 2017 which was up and down.

New CEO is taking the reins tomorrow, and with the World Cup in the summer and increasing gate sales and prize money at almost all the big race tracks it will be a welcomed change.

There's also increasing pushes for review of regulating and legalizing gambling in the states as the black market for gambling now amounts to circa 2 billion/annum.

PPB have the strongest market share of any UK player stateside with a fully regulated exchange in New Jersey and they've recently acquired the Fantasy Games Player "Draft" not to be confused with DraftKings the market leader.

No guarantees this will happen this year though, but with everything else going on in 2018 it should be a good year.

PRICE (EUR)

There is talk to increased gambling taxes and legislation changes in a number of there too markets. Also I'd have concern for why exactly the hugely successful as Betfair CEO has walked away. Can you shed any light on concerns?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,880 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

TAW is just unstoppable these days, will we see a dollar in 2018?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭littlevillage

cork93 wrote: »
    I would be careful with Green REIT at current valuation. I cashed out a couple months ago @1.53.

The rate of commercial rate increases is likely to decrease significantly as more supply comes on board this year.

Yes underlying asset valuation is high but this is merely a number on paper which has been highly inflated in recent years. As this is a REIT I would focus more on the future cash flows are how much will be returned to shareholders.

The final straw for me was the amount of compensation given to management when compared with actual rental income. The "gains" to date are largely based on revaluation of existing assets.

It's probably not the worst investment out there but I don't see much upside potential and there's a risk of getting hit in general market downturn.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for your feedback Cork93. Like I mentioned, I hope I'm not late to the party on Green Reit? the share price might not have any huge gains left in it, but its still a solid property play and as long as property in Ireland is flying it will keep creeping up. (For example, up 4% since I bought in last week). But as soon as the property market takes a wobble though, I'll be getting out ....FAST!!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,063 ✭✭✭✭beertons

My pilbarra holding is in Frankfurt, just noticed it after it was mentioned here. It'd make no sense selling selling them, and buying on the ASX. Right?

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭res ipsa

My pick is US listed MOMO @ $27.94
    Hoping for some MOMentum with this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Glanbia dipped below 14 (currently 13.84), might be worthy of another look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,375 ✭✭✭roosterman71

On DeGiro, when I select TAW shares from ASX, there is no data (historical or otherwise) being displayed. Is that normal?

Yes that is normal. DeGiro do not list data from the ASX, however you can still buy shares from the ASX.

You will have to source the data from another site. Google Finance, Yahoo Finance, HotCopper, Bloomberg, MarketWatch etc. You will have to pay to get live data from the ASX (and it's not cheap). I don't believe there is a free source of ASX real-time data.
    On DeGiro, when I select TAW shares from ASX, there is no data (historical or otherwise) being displayed. Is that normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ball ox

Try the 'interactive graph' button located on the top right of the embedded graph. I often find that this works when the embedded graph is not showing up.

Edit: sorry, just spotted you meant on the Aussie exchange

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭scheister

I note in relation to the REITs Deutsche Bank initiated analyst coverage Green Reit and Hibernia Reit

Deutsche has given a target price of €1.85 to Green Reit, which is currently trading around €1.63, and a target price of €1.65 to Hibernia Reit, which is currently trading around €1.53.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭b4bmm

Nzuri building up a head of steam.
    Plenty more left in the tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ftse100

res ipsa wrote: »
    My pick is US listed MOMO @ $27.94
    Hoping for some MOMentum with this one.

Watch the strong euro doesn't eat away any gains this year...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Shauny2010

ftse100 wrote: »
    Watch the strong euro doesn't eat away any gains this year...

The Dollar is taking a right hammering lately, and it looks set to be the theme of 2018 too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Underground

Decided to buy some Glanbia shares @ €13.59.

It is? EUR/USD has been hovering 1.18 for the last 6 months. Trend certainly looks like EUR will strengthen over the next few months.
    Shauny2010 wrote: »
    The Dollar is taking a right hammering lately, and it looks set to be the theme of 2018 too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Decided to buy some Glanbia shares @ €13.59.

Why are glanbia taking such a hammering lately????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Underground

cute geoge wrote: »

I don't know to be honest, it's taken a hammering over the last year. Even since I bought them this morning at €13.59 they've gone down again. I'm gambling on either the share price recovering to around the €16 mark or Glanbia being subject to an acquistion.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭lucky john

cute geoge wrote: »

The company hasn't done anything wrong that i can see. A lot of the growth has been in the US so maybe the Euro strengthening has a bit to do with it. The markets are pretty high right now so if this is trending down for no real reason I'm inclined to wait until later in the year to get back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Lash_Alert

Any thoughts on shire? Been holding a while but seems market uncertainty around this company split has people worried. Seriously undervalued in my eyes

• Site Banned Posts: 19 jim_bull

lucky john wrote: »
    The company hasn't done anything wrong that i can see. A lot of the growth has been in the US so maybe the Euro strengthening has a bit to do with it. The markets are pretty high right now so if this is trending down for no real reason I'm inclined to wait until later in the year to get back in.

it ( and kerry ) has been very expensive for years , the one area they have high margin ( sports drinks ) is suffering due to the weak dollar and increased competition

i bought some two days ago but could see it dropping another euro easily , still think its a safe hold long term , dividend is very small however

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Thanks for Nzuri Op. Solid pick.

Tencent Holdings (KYG875721634 Frankfurt) where good for me last year. Going to stick with them this year. Epic games going well with Fortnight with a couple in the pipeline and a linkup with Lego just announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,040 ✭✭✭✭neris

Guy on Newstalk markets slot this morning before 7am saying the US markets now away over valued and while a crash isn't imminent one may be due and there is better value top be had in some smaller under valued euro markets and treasuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

My top picks are PLS, AJM and CLQ on the ASX. All on sale at the moment after taking a bit of a pounding the last couple of weeks. I've been on them for a couple of years now and am a medium to long term holder. They could fall a bit more but I reckon they'll be well up by July again.

Keeping an eye on a few of the other Cobalt producers but I'm put off by the Congo thing. Africa is a basketcase do doesn't usually fall onto my radar but there's certainly no doubting the size of the resources there.

Versarien PLC

Currently £0.9140 ........... was way lower until 3 months ago and has only just recently risen very sharply.

Could well drop significantly again and I expect it to but I reckon the potential upside is huge if not quite exponential.

This crowd are a materials company "Versarien utilises proprietary technology to create innovative new engineering solutions that are capable of having a game-changing impact on a broad variety of industry sectors"

They are in bed with some Chinese folk who aren't slow to invest in manufacturing facilities etc.

I see this as a Tesla type share ........... huge growth based on feck know what or why :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭LG1234

Good discount on PLS and Taw at the moment. I've a few quid there to invest think Taw probably has more scope for larger increases

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

Have also been looking at PLS. Have a few quid in TAW and fewer quid in VIC. Will look at buying PLS or more TAW in another week or so if price is still good.

Advertisement