Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Where will Potters proposed Lakeside “World Champ” fit with all of this or has that idea died away?

TbL

Looks like that is gone, seems as if it was just a dig at the BDO by Potter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Does anyone know of any sites to get PL darts tickets for Dublin that aren't 120e +? That's all I can find at the minute. Would love to go but can't bring myself to pay that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭boomdocker

keep an eye on toutless.ie - likely to have some nearer the time
    Rules there are for face-value only selling....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

boomdocker wrote: »
    keep an eye on toutless.ie - likely to have some nearer the time
    Rules there are for face-value only selling....
    Thanks a lot. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Disappointed but expected. What a waste of talent

https://twitter.com/livedarts/status/1217935398732750848?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Yeah total waste as he definitely has the talent but unfortunately he seems more interested in breaking the law than playing darts.

There's no way he would be given a Visa to enter the UK at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Yeah total waste as he definitely has the talent but unfortunately he seems more interested in breaking the law than playing darts.

There's no way he would be given a Visa to enter the UK at this stage.

The way he carries on I wouldn't give him a visa card.

WDF World Championship and WDF world masters announced plus loads of other events. Looks good. Bye bye Des.

https://www.dartswdf.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Random thought:

Adrian Lewis is a millionaire, he should really get a shave and a haircut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Random thought:

Adrian Lewis is a millionaire, he should really get a shave and a haircut.

:D:D:D

Was actually only watching some of his old matches recently

What a player in his pomp.

He is in some state health wise, was surely always going to catch up on him at some stage.

The worst part is he's a relatively very young man

• Advertisement

Fallon on off the ball this morning. Usual crap wants more spots for women in tournaments and wants a women's tour.. not a mention of Ashton

https://youtu.be/jRIKjaCyw7c

Womens tour is an awful idea. They won't improve playing each other, they'll only improve by playing better players. Two spots in the Grand Slam and the Worlds is plenty.

They have opportunities to play the Challenge Tour and Euro Qualifiers to qualify for tournaments and potentially a tour card through them.

Luckily the PDC has absolutely no intention of setting up a womens tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

US2 wrote: »
    Fallon on off the ball this morning. Usual crap wants more spots for women in tournaments and wants a women's tour.. not a mention of Ashton

https://youtu.be/jRIKjaCyw7c

I thought that she handled herself very well there. Obviously the focus of the interview is going to the on women's darts, but she made fair points, saying she thinks that the women should be competing with the men but most wouldn't be confident enough.

Can you imagine Paula Jacklin or someone like that trying to make a living in the PDC.... Not a hope!

Interviewer didn't ask about Ashton.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Tarzann

Lisa Ashton and co often say "The women raise their game when playing the men".
    What she really means is "Playing a higher standard of player helps my average also because they will clean up in legs when I miss a lot of doubles, and when they have a REALLY good leg the majority of my darts thrown were in the scoring rather than finishing phase of the leg".

I'm delighted she got a Tour Card btw, just misunderstanding re averages really annoy me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Tarzann wrote: »
    Lisa Ashton and co often say "The women raise their game when playing the men".
    What she really means is "Playing a higher standard of player helps my average also because they will clean up in legs when I miss a lot of doubles, and when they have a REALLY good leg the majority of my darts thrown were in the scoring rather than finishing phase of the leg".

I'm delighted she got a Tour Card btw, just misunderstanding re averages really annoy me!

They often seem blind to what's behind the averages -as you say a player who hasn't thrown a dart at double could be well up in the 90's.

Another thing they never mention is the number of visits. it's always the 12 dart or 13 dart leg from Mardle and Harrington. The difference is huge...one is a 4 visit leg, the other is 5.

A 13/14 or 15 dart leg is exactly the same if you win the leg that visit. 15 darts might drag the average down but players in a proper match don't give a hoot, they want legs on the board not good losing stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Ashton is a top player and deserves her card. She'll earn a few quid on the tour over the next two years and may even retain her tour card.

Sky should be celebrating her and not Sherrock. Fallon pulled out of the BDO champs because her management told her to do so. It wasn't about prize money.

They knew the damage she could cause to her recently acquired 'image' if she came up against superior female players such as Ashton or Suzuki.

I think most people here agree that there's too many participants in the world darts championship, but how many do you think should be in it and what qualifies a player?

If you look at 2007 it was a 64 man field consisting of the top 32 in the order of merit, 16 pdpa qualifiers and 16 international qualifiers which is a fair enough spread.

Any input?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,894 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I think most people here agree that there's too many participants in the world darts championship, but how many do you think should be in it and what qualifies a player?

If you look at 2007 it was a 64 man field consisting of the top 32 in the order of merit, 16 pdpa qualifiers and 16 international qualifiers which is a fair enough spread.

Any input?

The more games the more money for the PDC

They struck gold this year with Sherlock's publicity. If it's anything more players/games could be added to it

PTH2009 wrote: »
    The more games the more money for the PDC

They struck gold this year with Sherlock's publicity. If it's anything more players/games could be added to it
    I'm not asking why there's so many games or if they'll add more, I'm asking people on here how many they would like to see :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

I think most people here agree that there's too many participants in the world darts championship,

You call yourself a darts fan yet seem to think more players getting a pay day
    more players getting tv time and exposure, to which leads to experience is a bad thing ?

If the Worlds went to 128 I still would watch,

The world champs serves to promote the game as well

TV companies are happier it runs longer
    fans are happier there is more opportunities to attend
    players are happy to be involved
    Sponsors of players are happy to be getting exposure.

Never understood this mentality that players playing on tv is a bad thing

• Advertisement

I don't think there's too many players in Worlds. 96 is a good number, I think if you went to 128 it would dilute the standard too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

128 players, round robin format.

4 players in each group with only group winners qualify for last 32.

No walk one during the group stages, just a conveyor belt of games!

Each player gets 3 short format matches and goes home happy, while the group winners battle it out to be world champion!

Nothing like the grand slam ?!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Stewball

The more live darts (decent standard) on TV the better IMO.

Stewball wrote: »

I would agree except I would say the more live ranked tournament darts on TV the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Stewball

Kingp35 wrote: »
    I would agree except I would say the more live ranked tournament darts on TV the better.

Yeah, good point.
    The likes of the PDC Masters coming up at the weekend and the Premier League don't really fill me with excitement.

I much prefer tournaments like the UK Open.

Stewball wrote: »

absolutely.

More players getting a pay day the better.

Also as I said earlier, Ally Pally is also there to promote the game and help it grow worldwide.
    No one can deny the prelim matches each year have got better in terms of quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭sc86

Any input?

thats a des jacklin idea if ever i seen one

sc86 wrote: »
    thats a des jacklin idea if ever i seen one
    Except it was in the PDC, so it wasn't a Des Jacklin move.

I asked what people thought would be their ideal number of participants and I got one actual answer with the rest being criticism for asking a question.

Justin Credible, if you think me wanting a smaller field at the world championship makes me being a legitimate darts fan questionable, then what does calling a darts presenter with Parkinsons "a shaking sack of sh*t" make you?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,311 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

If you think 32 or 64 is your ideal number for the Worlds, then you can just watch from that point onwards. I haven't watched a whole lot myself the last few years until the best of 7 sets in the last 32, and then I gorge on it after Christmas.

Clearly 96 is working though, sell out crowds in an event perfectly timed for the pre-Christmas party market.

• Advertisement

If you think 32 or 64 is your ideal number for the Worlds, then you can just watch from that point onwards.

no no no...that would be the logical thing for someone like him who obviously does not the larger field.

Advertisement