Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenway Map

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭lamaq

The 'Barrow Navigation' predates the Royal and Grand Canals. From Athy to Saint Mullin's it uses the Barrow river, with locks on some sections. There has always been a towpath on one side of the river since the navigation was opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭blueballfc

blueballfc wrote: »

and my final update for the county councils of Leinster, looks like Kildare approved, that will give c.a 70 km. approved. Wonder will the go to An Bord Pleanála with the Carlow part
    http://www.kfmradio.com/news/23022018-0751/permission-granted-kildare-barrow-blueway-project

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭nilhg

and my final update for the county councils of Leinster, looks like Kildare approved, that will give c.a 70 km. approved. Wonder will the go to An Bord Pleanála with the Carlow part
    http://www.kfmradio.com/news/23022018-0751/permission-granted-kildare-barrow-blueway-project

It's a bit concerning that local reports such as the KFM above are saying that the permission is to Athy rather than Maganey, Athy would be Canal only whereas Maganey would include the top part of the Barrow navigation.

Interesting days ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Will the Barrow Greenway link up with the Waterford - New Ross Greenway eventually?
    It must be over 100km?

Confirmed on local radio just now, Kildare CC have given permission for the Grand Canal section from Lowtown to Athy but not the Barrow navigation from Athy on to Jerusalem just outside Carlow.

There will be a continuous 49Km section if Waterways Ireland goes ahead with the what they have permission for, whether they go to An Bord Pleanala for the rest will be interesting to see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

OP,

At the Waterford end of the NewRoss to Waterford greenway, the development plan for the North Quays includes a cycle, pedestrian and public transport bridge across the river to the Clock Tower on the south side of the river.
    This bridge will join the NewRoss greenway to the Waterford greenway with the Waterford end being extended from Bilberry (where it presently ends on your map) to the Clock Tower.

This should probably be added in as Planned.

Your work on this map is greatly appreciated. Thank you. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

Ive managed to find Cork City Cycle plan and I'll try and integrate it into the map, if anyone can get me some of these for the other cities/major towns I can get working on them, hard part is identifying where the councils plan to throw down paint and say 'eh good enough'. I want the 'cycleways' put down on the map to be properly kerb separated from traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I use the Athlone to Mullingar greenway every week. Really enjoy it. Bit of a pain in the rear around athlone and moate if its busy with walkers and people standing in the middle of it with a buggy having a chat. But a fantastic facility

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Will the Barrow Greenway link up with the Waterford - New Ross Greenway eventually?
    It must be over 100km?

There's the "Mile Tunnel" from near the Ferry Bridge to the Barrow, and Google shows the railway line from there to Rosbercon fairly clearly. there are some forestry tracks along the barrow below St Mullins but some route would need to be engineered in between.

Wexford Co.Co have the "Norman Route" on-road signed down as far as the ferry at Ballyhack, where it joins the Eurovelo1 route.

I'd say KK council are the drivers of the NewRoss-Waterford section, I wonder how the 3 councils would work together to have a integrated network. I haven't seen any Waterford to Passage East cycling route proposed.

• Advertisement

And further west
    http://connachttribune.ie/east-west-greenway-plan-back-track-698/
    Not sure what this means TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭what_traffic

And further west
    http://connachttribune.ie/east-west-greenway-plan-back-track-698/
    Not sure what this means TBH

This might help? From the Galway Cycling Campaign website:

July 2017: Greenway Strategy consultation is misconceived and should be set aside.
    http://www.galwaycycling.org/july-2017-greenway-consultation-is-misconceived-and-should-be-set-aside/

If you want to see some more of the potential for the greenway network have a look at the revamped NI Greenways site. I'll be updating my map to reflect the new content there. I dream of the day there is something as cohesive for the rest of the Island, sadly I don't have time to take on such a mammoth task myself....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

That's a seriously impressive website. Even more impressive is the fact that it is the work of just one man, Jonathan Hobbs. It looks so professional that I had wrongly assumed that it was a Government or Agency funded site.

Keep up your own work here riddlinrussell. It is much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Wexford Co Co have announced the building of a Greenway from Curracloe to Wexford.

Here's a thing I was wondering about,with the building of motorways, could a dedicated cycle way be installed along the top of the embankments and fenced off to avoid a poor unfortunate that might fall ending up at the bottom? Probably not practical but with the right planning it could be done while these projects are in development.

Wexford Co Co have announced the building of a Greenway from Curracloe to Wexford.

Here's a thing I was wondering about,with the building of motorways, could a dedicated cycle way be installed along the top of the embankments and fenced off to avoid a poor unfortunate that might fall ending up at the bottom? Probably not practical but with the right planning it could be done while these projects are in development.

There's a 65km bike path built parallel to the Kwinawa Freeway between Perth and Mandurah in Western Australia, the railroad runs up the centre of the motorway for quite a distance too, all built at the same time I think.

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Kwinana-Freeway-to-Mandurah

Might be an idea for the proposed M20?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Here's a thing I was wondering about,with the building of motorways, could a dedicated cycle way be installed along the top of the embankments

Probably the last place I'd want to cycle given the noise, fumes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Most of the Ballyshannon-Killybegs rail is gone. A lot of the Donegal Town- Stranorlar rail is gone too.

The section going through Fintown in Donegal is used for a mile or two for a tourist attraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

All those fumes will be gone, if the gov get their way, and we all go electric in the next 10 years or so ;)

Little or no noise either. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Away from the big urban areas- looking at you M50,there isn't a massive volume of traffic on motorways plus if the cycle way was on top of the embankments then you are a good distance away from the traffic.
    Riding along an N road puts you in closer proximity to traffic with the noise and fumes associated with it.

• Advertisement

Most of the Ballyshannon-Killybegs rail is gone. A lot of the Donegal Town- Stranorlar rail is gone too.

The section going through Fintown in Donegal is used for a mile or two for a tourist attraction.

Yes, thats about the same as a majority of the lines on the map, its unlikely they will ever be reinstated so building greenways on them is a great way to develop the tourism potential of the areas, the North West greenways are actually some of the most cohesive proposed networks in Ireland, the majority of Donegals rail infrastructure is considered for greenway in the plan. If it gets fully realized then there should hopefully be a 'slow tourism' explosion in the County.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Yes, thats about the same as a majority of the lines on the map, its unlikely they will ever be reinstated so building greenways on them is a great way to develop the tourism potential of the areas, the North West greenways are actually some of the most cohesive proposed networks in Ireland, the majority of Donegals rail infrastructure is considered for greenway in the plan. If it gets fully realized then there should hopefully be a 'slow tourism' explosion in the County.

I hope it does but I was looking into it for a bridlepath, but most of it in South Donegal can't be developed unless they move it slighty. I haven't a clue about North Donegal so it would be great if that could be done!

I hope it does but I was looking into it for a bridlepath, but most of it in South Donegal can't be developed unless they move it slighty. I haven't a clue about North Donegal so it would be great if that could be done!

The routes I have down on my map tend to be straight along the former railway lines/canal paths/rivers etc. in most cases these shouldn't be taken as the actual route of the potential greenway, negotiation with landowners is paramount to a successful greenway IMO and as not every landowner will be content to let a greenway cross their land there will be some movement in the route in the final plan for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

http://www.anglocelt.ie/news/roundup/articles/2018/03/13/4153347-750k-for-new-walking-t/

Article about cavan / Leitrim green way for cycling / walking getting funding. Might just be a rehash of news / spin for government but still good news

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Little or no noise either. :D
    The vast majority of noise from vehicles at motorway speed is tyre and wind noise.

Being on an embankment on a dead straight route is not much craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭lamaq

Cycled the Royal Canal from Leixlip, no photos unfortunately:

Leixlip to Pike Bridge/Carton House entrance - no work done here, still a mix of narrow paths or grass.

Pike bridge to Maynooth harbour - ok surface.

Maynooth Harbour to Kilcock - finished, the underpass at Bailey's bridge is complete.

Kilcock to about 2km west at drainage bridge - finished.

Drainage bridge to Ferran's Lock - the gravel foundations are down but not the finished surface. Generally ok to cycle on.

Ferran's Lock to Cloncurry bridge - still grass, no work has started yet.

Cloncurry Bridge to Enfield - all done except for last 500m into Enfield which has gravel, not sure why this was left.

Enfield to Blackwater aquaduct - finished.

Blackwater aquaduct to Moyvally - have the foundations down and currently being worked on, looked like they were cutting back some of the trees.

Couldn't go any further than this.

I've seen photos of the Ballynahinch section of the Connemara greenway recently, looks finished although I don't know if it is, anyone have any idea if its completed and if so where exactly it starts and ends? I'd like to add it to the map as a completed section.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭HugoMyBoss

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Ryath

Trying to decide on a mini cycle/camping tour with my 10 year old daughter this summer. Sticking to greenway routes makes for much easier cycling. Did a mini one last summer with her from Moate to campsite on Lough Ennell and back. About 25k on cycle track and 8/9k on roads each way. It's a quite country road though and one short section on N52 but hard shoulder is wide. Just stayed the one night. Will probably do it again this summer as a try out with new gear and bags.

Ate in onsite restaurant last summer but hoping to be more self sufficient and cook this summer. Got a primus stoveset and new exped sleeping mats which are a good bit smaller than mats we had so it's a bit of space freed up. Trying to decide on a bar bag and a new dry bag to mount on top of pannier bags. Fitted tent and sleeping mats in 22ltr ortlieb dry bag last trip. Need a slightly wider bag so I can fit 2 sleeping bags and tent and that's a lot of space freed up in the panniers.

Hoping to do 3 nights this time. Mayo greenway seems best option. Drive to Westport camp 1 night at Westport then cycle to Achill and stay two night there. Familiar with it as we've cycled up there a few times.

Waterford greenway looks an option to but I'm not familiar with the area. Caseys in Dungarvan looks close to it but there doesn't seem to be any options along it and Tramore campsites is good bit away from it about 12k to greenway. Roads don't look great for cycling with a 10 year old. Might try out solo though.

Any other options around the country for campsites near greenways? If only we had a route like the Loire valley with regular campsites every 20k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

@Ryath

Distance from Westport to Achill is about 42km so with a 10 year old you would need to be cutting that journey up. Going into the wind that is a good journey with gear.

Camp/stay the first night somewhere around Newport and then camp the next night around Mulranny. A problem with the Mayo greenway is that there aren't many campsites or hostels along it. I think there is an area down by Mulranny beach that also has toilets. Not sure if it is public or private.

It would be lovely to have an area to camp with some decent facilities. Even if the campsite area had a tarpaulin type cover over the tent areas it would spare you from the elements if the weather turned against you, especially with young kids. It would be nice to sit around a camp fire and chat with others with a beer.

I did a cycle on it at the weekend. I notice they have taken out the dangerous road crossing between Westport and Newport and now you go through an under road tunnel running beside a stream. Very nice.

I have read a few people say not to do the Westport Newport section in favour of the other parts but I like that first section. The section from Newport to Mulranny can feel long. It is a bit more remote and with its slight uphill nature it can be tough with the wind against you.

I saw a good few on it at the weekend. Lots of families with some pulling trailers and others pulling some sort of bar trailer with 2 seats on it, one behind the other.

I was also chatting to someone who was saying they plan to extend the greenway further into Achill down to Keel beach. Now that would be some destination with a campsite on the beach.

Advertisement