Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best House Alarm?

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭harolds57

Anyone any experience on the following ESP Infinite Prime Alarm Kits, good or bad. It’s the GSM one I’m looking at for £369.98 Inc VAT (sterling). It’s just for a new work shop i built at back of house. Workshop consits of 12foot steel door at front onto lane, 6 foot steel door and a personal door onto back garden, 1 sky light and 1 3x4 window. The main thing is that i can turn it off remotely if the alarm goes off. Will be getting IP camera soon so when it does go off i can check on it.
    Like the fact that i can add x10 module to it. Could be used for turning security lights on or garden lights etc at a later stage.

http://www.quicksafe.co.uk/gsm-burglar-alarm.htm

Many Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭altor

harolds57 wrote: »
    Anyone any experience on the following ESP Infinite Prime Alarm Kits, good or bad. It’s the GSM one I’m looking at for £369.98 Inc VAT (sterling). It’s just for a new work shop i built at back of house. Workshop consits of 12foot steel door at front onto lane, 6 foot steel door and a personal door onto back garden, 1 sky light and 1 3x4 window. The main thing is that i can turn it off remotely if the alarm goes off. Will be getting IP camera soon so when it does go off i can check on it.
    Like the fact that i can add x10 module to it. Could be used for turning security lights on or garden lights etc at a later stage.

Many Thanks.

david85 has experience with this system, if you send him a P.M. he will give you any info you require with this system.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 stevedog

Hi All,

Am new to boards but really need to find quite a lot of info out as moving into new house shortly.
    The house im moving into is a 4 bed semi detached, front door, patio doors to rear, 7 windows at ground floor (5 with 2 openings), 7 windows at 1st floor (2 openings on 3 of these). im basically looking to find out what is the best alarm option for me to go with? I have quotes already circa €600 for a honeywell system and a hkc securewatch system providing contacts and PIRs etc. If anyone could advise me on a good system to get and advise on whether i should be getting contacts, sensors, etc that would be great. Also dont want to break the bank on price.

The price is right. The honeywell plus HKC are good systems, but if I was getting the HKC system installed I would be looking at the HKC securewave over the securewatch. It should be the same price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭Jnealon

stevedog wrote: »
    Hi All,

Am new to boards but really need to find quite a lot of info out as moving into new house shortly.
    The house im moving into is a 4 bed semi detached, front door, patio doors to rear, 7 windows at ground floor (5 with 2 openings), 7 windows at 1st floor (2 openings on 3 of these). im basically looking to find out what is the best alarm option for me to go with? I have quotes already circa €600 for a honeywell system and a hkc securewatch system providing contacts and PIRs etc. If anyone could advise me on a good system to get and advise on whether i should be getting contacts, sensors, etc that would be great. Also dont want to break the bank on price.

Ask the installer what Honeywell panel he is installing as they make some good panels but they also make some cheap low end ones too.
    My advice is to get some more quotes before you proceed

• Registered Users Posts: 8 stevedog

Cheers for the replies on the above folks, pretty much any alarm installer I have called says they will cate the alarm for whatever budget I choose, very annoying when im trying to compare price and quality!!!
    I was also told that it might be best to just use a PIR in the sitting room(3 windows in this room) as the beam will cover them all and sensors or contacts would not be needed.
    I feel some installers favour contacts, some sensors, and then other seem to be pushing more PIRs, what is anyone elses stance on this??

stevedog wrote: »
    Cheers for the replies on the above folks, pretty much any alarm installer I have called says they will cate the alarm for whatever budget I choose, very annoying when im trying to compare price and quality!!!
    I was also told that it might be best to just use a PIR in the sitting room(3 windows in this room) as the beam will cover them all and sensors or contacts would not be needed.
    I feel some installers favour contacts, some sensors, and then other seem to be pushing more PIRs, what is anyone elses stance on this??

I would rather put shocks and or contacts on the windows rather than a pir in the room. A would be intruder would have to gain access to your house before the alarm will activate. For a wired system the sensors are not as expensive as if your going wire free so just putting in a pir makes no sense. By just installing contacts your glass can be easily taken out or smashed without activating the alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭david85

harolds57 wrote: »

Many Thanks.
    hi just read tat you wanted to pick up a prime panel wit gsm. you can remotely switch on and off alarm. It also has a TWA (Two way audio) device built in so if the alarm triggers and you look wit the cameras you can dial into the panel and say whatever you like to the intruder. Anymore queries dont heisitate to P.M me

• Registered Users Posts: 32 chamac

Hi All
    I was wondering if it is possible to get standard PIR's to work outdoors with my Powermax Pro ?
    I need to cover a flat roof that is a path to my building. It could be fixed in a sheltered dry spot.
    Would birds set it off? I have a spare pet resistant one.
    The heating flue is up there too.
    Charlie

• Advertisement

chamac wrote: »
    Hi All
    I was wondering if it is possible to get standard PIR's to work outdoors with my Powermax Pro ?
    I need to cover a flat roof that is a path to my building. It could be fixed in a sheltered dry spot.
    Would birds set it off? I have a spare pet resistant one.
    The heating flue is up there too.
    Charlie

No, the standard pir is not designed to work out doors. They have got an outdoor motion detector that will work. Here is a link.

altor wrote: »
    No, the standard pir is not designed to work out doors. They have got an outdoor motion detector that will work. Here is a link.
    Thanks Altor, I had seen that one. Its quite pricey so thought that the spare one might work.
    Maybe I will bite the bullet and get it.
    A beam would work here or I could set up a thin "break" wire that would trigger when open circuit.

They are very expensive but should work in your case. I would rather cover it with the motion than a thin "break" wire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭clancyoo7

I was wondering what would it cost for a powermax pro supplied and fitted, I would only need ground floor fitted which would consist of two windows front and back as well as two doors.

clancyoo7 wrote: »
    I was wondering what would it cost for a powermax pro supplied and fitted, I would only need ground floor fitted which would consist of two windows front and back as well as two doors.

Any reason for wanting the pro installed ? I install the complete which would work out cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭clancyoo7

Hi altor, I was looking for a gsm alarm, the house is mid terrace and has not been pre wired for alarm, was hoping for something would notify me when the house is being in the process of broken into, with motion senor in kitchen and landing, as well as a front and back alarm box.

• Advertisement

The complete can have an internal GSM to give you text notification of the alarm activating plus remote access to the alarm. I will send you a PM with a price.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 stepbystep

Reyman wrote: »
    Sounds like I made a good choice - I bought the HKC and am putting it in at the moment. There's a nice layout on the board and as you say the keypad is very good .
    I'm impressed.

One question if you know the answer. How do you wire the tamper part of the internal bell? I can't see any terminals to connect it to.
    I suppose I could wire it in series with the bell box tamper but that doesn't seem good practice

Wiring it in series with the external bell is the way its done, tamper comes from the ext bell through the int bell and into tamper return at the panel, you could also wire the internal bell tamper into a spare zone tamper, if you have 1 spare

Your a bit late with your response :D

hahahahaha shouldnt you be out installing alarms Altor and not playing around on the internet!!!

My work is done for the day, its about time I had a half day ;)

• Advertisement

Yea you deserve it bud, you should be charging for your services on here, youd never need to leave the house :)

Ah no, free advice over the internet is free. Always happy to help if I can..

yea i no, on here to do the same boy! i no who ill be comming to if i get into any trouble tho

More than happy to help if I can ;)

Hi All
    I am trying to set up an X10 system on my Powermax Pro.
    The Visionics website says that the Pro has a built in X10 interface.
    http://www.visonic.com/Products/Wireless-Property-Protection/PowerMaxPro
    With a lot of googlin' I found this interface
    http://www.securitystoreusa.com/VISONIC-X-10-Interface-Module-p/visonic%20psc04.htm
    Its the only one I can find.
    There is some other reference to the PSC04 interface elsewhere on line but the info is scarce.
    Has anyone set up X10 on the Pro?
    If I need an interface, would any one work or would it have to be Visonics?
    Looks like it basically connects the alarm to the mains via RJ11 to transfer the signal
    that is picked up by a receiver elsewhere in the building so should be fairly simple.
    Charlie

chamac wrote: »
    Hi All
    I am trying to set up an X10 system on my Powermax Pro.
    The Visionics website says that the Pro has a built in X10 interface.
    http://www.visonic.com/Products/Wireless-Property-Protection/PowerMaxPro
    With a lot of googlin' I found this interface
    http://www.securitystoreusa.com/VISONIC-X-10-Interface-Module-p/visonic%20psc04.htm
    Its the only one I can find.
    There is some other reference to the PSC04 interface elsewhere on line but the info is scarce.
    Has anyone set up X10 on the Pro?
    If I need an interface, would any one work or would it have to be Visonics?
    Looks like it basically connects the alarm to the mains via RJ11 to transfer the signal
    that is picked up by a receiver elsewhere in the building so should be fairly simple.
    Charlie

Thats correct, you would need the visonic one for the pro panel. You will have to buy it off the supplier you got the panel off as the link you gave is for the American one.

To set it up you just need to go to Installer Mode - 8. Define Outputs - then X-10 Unit Define. At this point you can follow the on screen options and select the house code and device number (according to the receiving unit). You can also get the AUX keyfob buttons to operate the 1st device by going to 4.Define Panel and 17. Aux button A (or 18. Aux button B).

Hi All
    Got a Visonics tower outdoor PIR to cover a roof at the rear of my premises.
    During the Big Freeze it developed a layer of frost on the lens.
    This caused a "Trouble" fault that shows up as Masking.
    I could get away with turning the masking detection feature off
    as the PIR is well inside the roofed area it would be hard to spray it.
    Would frost normally activate masking detection?
    Seems a bit lame for such an expensive PIR
    Charlie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Yes anti masking is a standard feature of grade 3 detectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 antonio0001

Hi Guys,

Does anyone have configured the pstn line with the Visonic powermax complete?

I've plugged the cable and configured (I hope) everything in the panel, but I don't see anywhere how to test it.

Do I really need to set off the alarm to get a test call?

Cheers
    Antonio

• Advertisement

Hi Guys,

Does anyone have configured the pstn line with the Visonic powermax complete?

I've plugged the cable and configured (I hope) everything in the panel, but I don't see anywhere how to test it.

Do I really need to set off the alarm to get a test call?

Cheers
    Antonio

Yes, just activate a panic then turn it off. 2 to acknowledge the call and 6 for the two way voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 antonio0001

altor wrote: »
    Yes, just activate a panic then turn it off. 2 to acknowledge the call and 6 for the two way voice.

Many thanks altor!

Tried and it works!

Cheers
    Antonio

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement