Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2009 Regular Season Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

Toulousain wrote: »
    Anyone else have a feeling that Buehrle might get something? His season hasn't exactly been great since consecutive out #45, but that may be overlooked, I suspect.

Morneau might be in with a shot in the AL.

Cy Youngs to Lincecum and Greinke, for single handedly saving their teams from embarassment.

Nah can't see Buerhle getting anything, well certainly not an MVP/Cy Young anyway. He's had a fairly average season and as per his norm he's falling off towards the end.

I would have said Kansas are embarrassing even with Greinke ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭Kinda32

I think everyone can agree Albert for NL MVP.. As for the AL MVP, i reckon it should be Mauer with honourable mentions to Cabrera, Texiera, Hill, Morales and Jeter (for both offense and defence!!)..

As for Cy young, it's going to be very close i think.. Lincecum i think for NL Cy with Carpenter and Wainwright close behind.. As for the AL its probably between Greinke and Felix with honourable to Verlander.. However, knowing the strange voting it may be CC that gets the award (good year but not as deserving as other 3..)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Sick of it now...Can we get to March please?! Worst season ever as a Jays' fan.

zuutroy wrote: »
    Sick of it now...Can we get to March please?! Worst season ever as a Jays' fan.

Yes, March is always a good time for you.. lots of optimism!!!! I hope for your sake that doc will still be there though.. could be a long year otherwise..

jays - yanks game should be a nice pitching duel, doc with a nice quick first

Kinda32 wrote: »
    Yes, March is always a good time for you.. lots of optimism!!!! I hope for your sake that doc will still be there though.. could be a long year otherwise..

Pff dont be ridiculous...2010 is the year for contention :rolleyes:

Pff dont be ridiculous...2010 is the year for contention :rolleyes:

yes yes, first time i've heard that from ye Jays fans!! I'll stick with 09 for the time being, still of interest for me!!

maybe not a pitching duel.. Joba gives up 2 so far in the first..

They had his number last time out. Hill and Lind have developed into great hitters.

They had his number last time out. Hill and Lind have developed into great hitters.

Yeah, two very very good hitters.. Had hill in most of my fantasy teams.. Was a big sleeper of mine, got him in late rounds in most leagues and its paid off big time.. Hadn't heard too much of Lind before this year but he's impressed every game i've seen..

p.s think Snider will do alot better next year too.. was asking alot from the kid to be a star this year.. am still shocked about Rios though, had him pegged to be a star for the next few years but he's been horrible.. His start with the white sox has been terrible too.. saying that now, he'll prob hit a couple of homers tonight against byrd and the sox

• Advertisement

Doc is dealing.. 6 up 6 down... He's a joy to watch pitch (except when he's pitching against the sox of course!!), works to a lovely quick tempo and goes right after hitters

Baahh. I've a conference next May about 3 minutes from Angel Stadium and of course they're on a 2 week road trip :(

Shiz thats crap luck. dodgers got any games on?

Yeah, Milwaukee and Coloroda but its a 30 mile drive away in LA traffic which is just plain scary :) I'll probably go though. Thinking of making a holiday out of it and maybe going to San Diego and Vegas (Blue Jays AAA affiliates!)

Pretty good barney they had in last nights game.

Yeah jeez a proper full on fight. See carlson's head? Duncan and Barajas were having a big go at it too.

Seriously what was posada thinking? We need 6 games to guarantee a playoff spot and he starts a bust up like that. All well and good cause no-one got seriously hurt in the end but imagine in CC or Tex got hurt in that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭Hynzie

Mad_Max wrote: »
    Yeah jeez a proper full on fight. See carlson's head? Duncan and Barajas were having a big go at it too.

yeah it was crazy stuff not just weak pushing the were kicking the sh#te out of each other!

I agree it was stupid thing for Posada to do. The tension was building all game but you gotta let it go! IMO something like this is the only thing that could derail the yankees this season and thats tough to say being a Mets fan:D

I wonder what the suspensions will be like

• Advertisement

well 3 games a piece. I'm suprised to be honest. Youk and porcello got 5 for some handbags.

I feckin hate west coast games!! Havent been able to watch a game live in days... withdrawal symptoms :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Haven't been following the Orioles for a while but just saw that we're on a seven game losing streak:(

Doc's last start at the Dome tonight? Hope not!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭rich1874

Yet another Yankees-Sox series starts tonight. A preview perhaps to the ALCS? Hopefully anyway the Sox can all but seal their place in the playoffs this weekend in Yankee stadium. Who knows if they sweep them this weekend they could be in with a shout for the division, probably unlikely. Anyway Lester v Chamberlain tonight, Lester owns the Yankees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Anyone else staying up to watch BOS @ NYY? Chamberlain has started well,interesting to see how he gets on tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

rich1874 wrote: »
    Anyway Lester v Chamberlain tonight, Lester owns the Yankees.

Lester won't be owning anyone til next week. It was some whack he took off the Cabreras drive,i was convinced he'd broken something but x-rays were clear,looks like bad bruising.

Chamberlain was brilliant last night,straight into the game,gave the red sox nothing for most of the night. Yanks are looking strong going into post season.

Good stuff from Chamberlain alright, looked very composed, best i've seen him in a long while. Lester did indeed struggle, and what a shot he took to the leg. Very lucky to escape with just a bruised quad. Agreed, the Yankees look very hot going into the playoffs and will have a nice handy ALDS against the Tigers or Twins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 ultron

Congratulations to the Dodgers for reaching another post season. Anyone think they've got a chance at making the world series? I reckon if Ramirez's bat gets hot and Ethier and Kemp keep up their average then they've a pretty good chance. Well one can only hope anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Quick question, where do y'all watch the games live?

Is there somewhere (legal) you can get them online, or is it one of the cable channels?

abelard wrote: »
    Quick question, where do y'all watch the games live?

Is there somewhere (legal) you can get them online, or is it one of the cable channels?

mlb.tv online streams every game in 1.5mb HD quality for $100 for the season.

I'm not sure if it's alright to say this so mod just delete if needs be.

A good website to watch baseball games is Sopcast, i won't give the link to it so just type it into google. They have links to different players were you can watch Baseball, NFL, basketball or any number of sports really. You may have to download a couple of different players, which are available on the site. The quality varies depending on the popularity of the game, for instance Red Sox, Yankees games will usually have solid streams whereas if you're a colorado rockies fan, don't hold your breath. But they'll have goodstreams for all the playoff games. The only problem is keeping yourself awake!
    Oh and it's free by the way.
    And by the way because they stream free to air channels such as CBS, Fox and NBC(free to air in America) I think it's all above board.

for the postseason streaming is the way to go (if you don't have ESPN america) but during the regular season if you plan on watching in any way regularly you really have to look at the mlb package.

There can't be enough said for being able to enjoy watching a games in decent quality. I had to watch an entire season via streams due to the stupid blackout rule when I lived in NY and I was never happier than when I got home and out of the blackout area :D

Much better value than NFL pass anyway!!!! nearly 300 dollars for a 16 game season :eek::eek:

Twins cut the Tigers division lead to one game.

What a performance by Justin Verlander. Restored the Tiger's two game lead. Two more big games to come between them tonight and tomorrow in what is effectively the only undecided playoff spot.

• Advertisement

Well if that was Roy Halladay's last game as a Jay he went out in style. Back to back complete game shutouts to finish the season.

Stunning from Halladay. Wonder where he'll end up next year? Red Sox limp into another playoff, should be a good series between them and the Angels.Also the Tigers emulated the performance of Tampa Bay last year by going from last to first in their division in the space of a year(so it looks like anyway). Anyone think they stand any sort of chance against the Yankees? Or will they be bludgened to death?

Did anyone else notice Joe Mauer stealing signs against the Tigers?

http://deadspin.com/5371695/think-th...ng-in-baseball

Haha very good. Lucky the twins didn't win that one, could of been even more controversial. Altohugh it was pretty close...

Chaos in Jay-land. Ricciardi fired, everyone hates Cito.

This article about Rios being the Least Valuable Player made me smile:

sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=4526015

The qualifications to win one of these LVP awards has never been real tightly defined. But in Rios' case, it almost seemed as if the Blue Jays were slapping his LVP credentials on a giant billboard this summer when they essentially announced: "We'd rather give this guy away for zilch than have to pay him his actual salary." And so, faced with the prospect of being able to save $59.6 million on their car insurance, they told the White Sox: "You want him enough to claim him? He's all yours." And off Alex Rios went to the South Side, where he's made his baffling underachievement in Toronto look almost like stardom. For his 137-at-bat White Sox career, he's now hitting .175, with a .208 on-base percentage. That would rank, if you're curious, as the worst OBP in White Sox history by any position player who got that many at-bats. Rios also has done something we're pretty sure only one other White Sox position player (the unforgettable Ed Stroud, in 1971) has ever done in this much playing time -- hit into as many double plays (six) as he's driven in runs. Which isn't easy, especially for a player this talented. The White Sox do get five more years to straighten this fellow out, seeing as how he's under contract through 2014. What we don't know yet is: Is that the good news or the bad news?

Tigers and the Twins now tied in the AL Central.

Talk about feeling the heat in Detroit.!

Wow, that's some turnaround. They were seven games behind not so long ago. At least there's a bit of final day excitment now. This is some division, wasn't there a tie between the twins and the whitesox last year? .528 and still hunting for a play-off, comical.

Great start by both of them. both 4 up.

Yeah kind of a washout isn't it :(

• Advertisement

Oooh white soxs making this intersting. 5-3 now

Looks like a playoff game now. Can't see kansas scoring at least 7.

LOLz at Joe madden.

Walk Tex to load the bases to stop him gettting 40 homers and beating pena. Then A-Rod knocks it out to get himself 30 homers and 100rbi.

Bit fortunate that the Tigers and Twins one game playoff is on at 10.07 PM over here which is a reasonable hour to watch it. Looking forward to it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

Sea Devils wrote: »
    Bit fortunate that the Tigers and Twins one game playoff is on at 10.07 PM over here which is a reasonable hour to watch it. Looking forward to it now.

Likewise. It would be some time to be in Minneapolis now.

looking forward to this :)

• Advertisement

Whats happening....I'm stuck on the centre field camera!

Bah....want the Twins to win. 3 run inning and counting for the Tigers.

Great effort by Porcello.

Rooting for the Tigers but have a funny feeling the Twins will pull it out.

Milner must have a huge sigh of relief after escaping with the bases loaded. He looks terrified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Sea Devils wrote: »
    Great effort by Porcello.

Rooting for the Tigers but have a funny feeling the Twins will pull it out.

Brilliant from Nathan. Got out of a hole in the 8th and now 9th with that double play. 2 on, no outs and to retire Polanco and get Ordonez with a double play with Cabrera next up....fancy them to go on and win it now. Have no real preference but like you I feel the Twins just might get it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement