Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Airport.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

dzilla wrote: »
    People are serious about the airport. The airport is being prepped for runway expansion, land around it has been acquired and areas cleared with fencing erected.

The loads on London and Manchester routes where good it was just circumstance that the routes where lost unfortunately.

The airport is limited that it can only attract turbo prop planes, such as Flybe, Stobart and CityJet... In time with the runway extension jets will be catered for allowing more airlines.

Am I right to believe that there is no schedule/deadline on this at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭dzilla

kuang1 wrote: »
    Am I right to believe that there is no schedule/deadline on this at the moment?

I believe so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Well poo to that.
    What have they said it will cost?
    (Although if land has already been acquired etc then money's already been spent of course...)

kuang1 wrote: »
    Well poo to that.
    What have they said it will cost?
    (Although if land has already been acquired etc then money's already been spent of course...)

850k i believe. To which the goverment can commit 400k. I am open to correction. It was a 150m extension that would allow mid size jets operate with some restrictions

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

850k i believe.

:eek:

I'm betting the amount of money spent on Pledge to keep Dublin's T2 shiny is more than that. Shows you where we are in the pecking order. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,117 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

fricatus wrote: »
    :eek:

I'm betting the amount of money spent on Pledge to keep Dublin's T2 shiny is more than that. Shows you where we are in the pecking order. :mad:

But there is Dublin, 20x more population than waterford and has at least half the tourism traffic, and than waterford.

There is no point in putting 400k into a runway at an airport that wont make a profit anyway.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    But there is Dublin, 20x more population than waterford and has at least half the tourism traffic, and than waterford.

There is no point in putting 400k into a runway at an airport that wont make a profit anyway.

Well i suppose that is debatable. Loads out of the airport where profitable and the routes to London / manchester and birmingham where yielding high loads.

Also as the regions designated capital and gateway town I believe it is justified to enable more air routes with our stronget economic neighbour and possibly europe

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Fine. Give Waterford Airport one 20th of what Dublin gets in that case. T2 cost €609 million. Imagine what €30 million would do for Waterford Airport!

I don't think many smaller airports do make a profit. Cork and Shannon certainly don't. The benefits to business and the community locally are such that the taxpayer tends to take the hit. I've no problem with this being the case - all I want is that we get our share of that pie!

Fine. Give Waterford Airport one 20th of what Dublin gets in that case. T2 cost €609 million. Imagine what €30 million would do for Waterford Airport!

But Waterford dose not have travellers from all parts of the country going to it, nor does it have much tourist traffic
    I don't think many smaller airports do make a profit. Cork and Shannon certainly don't. The benefits to business and the community locally are such that the taxpayer tends to take the hit. I've no problem with this being the case - all I want is that we get our share of that pie!

Shannon has made a profit this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

The loads on London and Manchester routes where good it was just circumstance that the routes where lost unfortunately.

The airport is limited that it can only attract turbo prop planes, such as Flybe, Stobart and CityJet... In time with the runway extension jets will be catered for allowing more airlines.

Regarding the facilities, it has parking, shop, bar, cafe, bathrooms... what else do you want a hand job? Its an easy place to check in through, no crowds etc and you can arrive 1 hr to 30 mins before a flight. Selected Onwards destination are catered for via Birmingham.An airport is not a place I like hanging around so it suits.

No need for the comments. It is after all just a discussion.

'In time' covers quite an amount! Just not the here & now.
    A flight recently was cancelled & the passengers re-routed to Belfast by bus to make their flight. Not the most ideal of situations to be in for all the anti bus establishment.

I would like a decent place to have a drink or something to eat while I'm waiting for my flight. It's more like waiting in the Keogh Practice in Ballybricken. You have better options in WRH than at the airport to be honest.

I would sooner travel to Dublin/Cork & get a direct flight to my destination of choice rather than waiting around at any other airport to continue my journey. Why bother doing otherwise?

I'm all for the success of the airport but I'm not going to be ripped off on prices for the privilege of keeping an airport in Waterford.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Waterford Airport was in the local news today. Their primary focus is on a London route but nothing to report yet. The airlines are only planning their winter routes now and not focusing on summer for a couple of months. Its hoped then that they can get somewhere with the airlines and they hope to have some news at the end of the year but nothing in the next couple of months.

Other routes are being looked at but the focus is on a London route primarily. The airport is viable because figures are up.

Sully wrote: »
    Waterford Airport was in the local news today. Their primary focus is on a London route but nothing to report yet. The airlines are only planning their winter routes now and not focusing on summer for a couple of months. Its hoped then that they can get somewhere with the airlines and they hope to have some news at the end of the year but nothing in the next couple of months.

Other routes are being looked at but the focus is on a London route primarily. The airport is viable because figures are up.

For a London route, 4 of the 6 airports only have jet engined aircraft. So Waterford needs a runway expansion. How do they raise the money?

No need for the comments. It is after all just a discussion.

'In time' covers quite an amount! Just not the here & now.
    A flight recently was cancelled & the passengers re-routed to Belfast by bus to make their flight. Not the most ideal of situations to be in for all the anti bus establishment.

I would like a decent place to have a drink or something to eat while I'm waiting for my flight. It's more like waiting in the Keogh Practice in Ballybricken. You have better options in WRH than at the airport to be honest.

I would sooner travel to Dublin/Cork & get a direct flight to my destination of choice rather than waiting around at any other airport to continue my journey. Why bother doing otherwise?

I'm all for the success of the airport but I'm not going to be ripped off on prices for the privilege of keeping an airport in Waterford.

Enjoy driving up the M9 at 3-4am for your cheap flight to Manchester

Enjoy driving up the M9 at 3-4am for your cheap flight to Manchester

Or whenever you feel like flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Fate Amenable To Change

With the check in time and 2 hour drive if you've to make Manchester at 9 or 10 I think is the point they were trying to make with a bit of exaggeration thrown in.

The prices are good for the 30th of Spetember which is 4 weeks ahead and not a busy period. Then you have to pay to park as well plus the 40-50 euro for diesel/petrol. The parking is telling me over 134 euro for a 5 day park at the moment. So you're talking the bones of 200 euro to get there and park nevermind the flight cost which will likely not be on a Monday or Tuesday, 4 weeks ion advance and in a very non-busy date and a non-busy time.

As far as I remember the London route was shut down even though it was making money due to the issues surrounding Aer Arrann. From a personal perspective I was travelling over and back to London quite a bit the few months before it closed and it the flight was nearly always full.

?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Hey lads we are trying to make sure of the future of our Airport, tell you what no one has suggested using a fly/cruise scenario. Depends on what draught vessels can get up to the city quays, but is there a niche market not thought about.
    Fly into Waterford and then go cruising? Is it a possibility?

Hey lads we are trying to make sure of the future of our Airport, tell you what no one has suggested using a fly/cruise scenario. Depends on what draught vessels can get up to the city quays, but is there a niche market not thought about.
    Fly into Waterford and then go cruising? Is it a possibility?

I remember during the boom a service was mooted where the suir would be used to land planes(floatplanes)... I don't think it ever went ahead, it is popular in Scotland transporting folk between islands but its quite a small operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

Extending the hyped wild Atlantic way and make Waterford a start/finish point would surely pull in numbers too for a fly drive holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

thomasm wrote: »
    Extending the hyped wild Atlantic way and make Waterford a start/finish point would surely pull in numbers too for a fly drive holiday.

bord failte are planning a similar thing for east of country and they have said we will be part of that, Waterford being a logical start/end point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

And the only two destinations are Manchester & Birmingham & no sign of London or any another European destination!

If people are serious about an airport for the south east it needs serious thinking about & action.
    It obviously doesn't have the demand by the travelling public who can't be wrong considering the facilities at other airports.

Currently €250 to fly from Wat' to Man' return from Oct' 17 > 19 while Ryanair is €86.

That's three times as expensive. Good luck to you if you are willing to pay that!

I'm actually flying Waterford to Manchester 17th -19th October, we paid €104 pp

Edit: that's including a checked in bag per person - 15kg I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

Max Powers wrote: »
    bord failte are planning a similar thing for east of country and they have said we will be part of that, Waterford being a logical start/end point

Great to hear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

With the check in time and 2 hour drive if you've to make Manchester at 9 or 10 I think is the point they were trying to make with a bit of exaggeration thrown in.

The prices are good for the 30th of Spetember which is 4 weeks ahead and not a busy period. Then you have to pay to park as well plus the 40-50 euro for diesel/petrol. The parking is telling me over 134 euro for a 5 day park at the moment. So you're talking the bones of 200 euro to get there and park nevermind the flight cost which will likely not be on a Monday or Tuesday, 4 weeks ion advance and in a very non-busy date and a non-busy time.

As far as I remember the London route was shut down even though it was making money due to the issues surrounding Aer Arrann. From a personal perspective I was travelling over and back to London quite a bit the few months before it closed and it the flight was nearly always full.

Such a blinkered lot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Max Powers wrote: »

Considering the West of Ireland is a touristic goldmine, would it not have made more sense to launch the plan for the East first or at least around the same time? As it stands, the main tourist season is now over and we have missed out.

?

See image attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

Flew MAN-WAT today, about 80% LF. Paid 45euro 3 weeks ago for the flight.

See image attached.

I did and i am still puzzled why you have posted a random flight on Tuesday in September to me?

I did and i am still puzzled why you have posted a random flight on Tuesday in September to me?

All flights are €9.99

You said to enjoy driving up to Dublin at 3 or 4 in the morning for your cheap flight, implying that the cheap flights were only in the morning. The image clearly outlines all flights (or alternative flights to the morning) were as cheap as each other.

All flights are €9.99

You said to enjoy driving up to Dublin at 3 or 4 in the morning for your cheap flight, implying that the cheap flights were only in the morning. The image clearly outlines all flights (or alternative flights to the morning) were as cheap as each other.

The quiet fella and I where specifically speaking about a Friday flight in October. Friday flights will always be more expensive because of the demand. You can't compare a Tuesday flight with a Friday flight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Plane Fan

Do Flybe not see the potential Manchester has?
    In 2012 Aer Arann struggled to get 30 on the flight, this summer Flybe had 60+ on the flight to/from MAN! The route has developed hugely this year. I flew WAT-MAN and MAN-WAT at the start of AUG with 74 and 78 passengers on it respectively. The demand is THERE!

If we only have one route (BHX) and still no announcement is made by the end of October or thereabouts I don't think we will see London for early 2015.

With our current runway the only airline that would be our final hope I feel is Stobart Air again, possibly under Flybe, but that's a big ask!

I really hopethe airport grows next year and MAN returns alongside LON as in my 4 years planespotting at Waterford I have not seen such high loadfactors on BHX and MAN!

Advertisement