Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Airport.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭invara

Fair points Teebor15.

Although it does not take 19 weeks to get to where we are. The department obviously need to do due diligence - but they have the resources to do this very quickly or slowly. Slowly means asking questions on a six week correspondence cycle, dragging it out and saying everything needs to be done properly all the time while letting weeks and months fly by. Quickly, means a Minister says get this done quickly, there is rapid engagement cycles over 2-3 weeks (it is not as though the dept do not know this issue inside out; and not just in Waterford, Donegal and Kerry too), and either this case stands or falls.

It is a bad sign that Ryan is not in town, although Green politics is more forthright that FF/FG, the bottom line is that for almost 20 years the runway extension has been kicked around and not done.

It does need to go to cabinet, and ultimately this is a political call.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

It's like when you send an email to someone in work asking for an answer on something and they reply with a question to kick the ball back in your court just to show they replied to your email 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Am I right in saying that the Council only adopted the business plan two weeks ago - and they've two seats on the Board of Directors who didn't get sight of the thing before it was submitted to the Department?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Dum_Dum_2

Finger pointing mode engaged. So predictable. Setting up the fall guy.

I thought it was the Comer's fault the other week, now it's the Council? But it's never the Government's is it? If the Department are aware it's amateur hour down at the existing Airport then why haven't they coming up with a Plan B? They choose to sit back and watch it all fall apart.

Only part of the country without access to mass aviation. Government need to make it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭Bards

• Advertisement

The Council are elected public representatives and they're hoping to put public money into the project (despite the CEO seemingly saying he'd probably prefer not to be involved in it), and they have two seats on the board of directors.

I'm just trying to confirm if they've actually decided to agree to the business plan 4-5 months after it was submitted, or what have they actually agreed with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Ryan has announced the site of the designated zone for wind farms off the Waterford and South Wexford coasts. It’s probably safe to assume he was going to unveil this at a photo op down here when someone pointed out he would be asked about the airport. Thus the sharp exit stage right…….

We have a better chance of getting a space shuttle site than Ryan approving anything other than the demolition of the airport.

https://www.gov.ie/en/role/8bca1-assistant-secretary-aviation/

Pity the assistant secretary in Dept of Transport wouldn't remind him what his duties are

The Assistant Secretary for Aviation is responsible for:

• delivering on the objective for aviation of promote maximum connectivity by air to support Ireland’s economic and social goals

Post edited by Bards on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Theres no mention of bikes so he's physically unable to read that.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭azimuth17

A giant turnip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭robwen

Cynthia a European candidate backing the airport

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

FFS!

A FF candidate. Not as if they are in Government already and can open it at the click of their fingers if they want

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭914

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Teebor15

She is just picking a relevant topic in each of the Counties where she is looking for votes, she doesn't give a monkeys about the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭dzilla

Excuse my ignorance to politics but regarding Cynthia Ní Mhurchú last time I checked FF made up the government already, so why can they not just go ahead with this now and stop leaving a small minority (the greens) control this. She is pitching this as if they are in opposition now trying to get into power, maybe i don't understand the ins and outs , I just want to be able to fly to Luton and Birmingham is all locally. 🤣

Finger pointing mode in overdrive.

FF chose to get into bed with the eco-zealots so that's on them.

Approaching half a year of messing around, Government are still choosing to keep family and friends apart.

The only region in the country without access to mass aviation - it's Government view that the South East and Waterford is somehow lesser and undeserving of parity.

Week 21 - where's the cash?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Ah here, it's only an hour from Dungarven to Cork airport and it's only an hour and 45 minutes from Waterford to the largest airport on the island and one of the 15 largest in Europe. And there's a motorway the whole way. Nobody's keeping anyone apart from anyone.

That was the excuse given to deny Waterford 34/7 cardiology. The second word is off!

• Advertisement

Waterford has been subjected to all the negatives of globalisation - loss of manufacturing, ghetto formation, low wage economy, rentier exploitation etc; but one of the very few advantages, that of travel and connectivity, you judge Waterford should be without.

Turns out Government is in agreement with you - you're not connected are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Muttley79

Kerry airport is less than 60 miles either way to both cork and Shannon airport yet they're booming with daily flights to Britain,Spain and Germany.

Were talking about a full region here with no airport thus stifling massive growth in both investment and tourism.

Take your ignorant comments elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭invara

A key feature of the airport issue is the exhaustion of political bullshit on the issue.

With FF and Greens in the 2007-11 era the runway was originally promised, FG have consistently said they want to see it happen, in PfG as part of the Halligan deal, Greens have said they are not opposed. Bullshit (after Harry Frankfurt- On Bullshit - Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_Bullshit ) is speech intended to persuade without regard for truth. All of the parties have said they want it, Greens (2007-2011) FF (2011-2011; C&S 2016-2020; 2020+) and FG (2011+) have not made it happen.

Basically, the runway is under construction before the end of this Government; or these political parties have simply and, in a very pure way, bullshitted the people of the South East for almost 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Waterford could be a stop off point on the way to Rwanda.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭space2ground1

Had to fly into Europe early this morning. Left Waterford at 5:45am and got to Dublin airport for 8:15am. A dose of a drive.. stress from the start having to leave so early and then spending more time getting from Rathcoole to the airport than it took to get from Waterford to Rathcoole.

I’d have paid twice the cost to fly from Waterford. Those that say Dublin is the only show in town are having a laugh. Waterford would be financially viable with the right flights. Plenty of terrified Cork/Dublin loyalists making sure the less entitled don’t get services that would cause them to lose money or status.

Meanwhile I’ll be driving home from Dublin at stupid o’clock after the flight home.

Bring on the Waterford runway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭decies

I agree with mr Waterford in your pocket fb page time to say no votes for government parties unless we see real action on airport .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭dzilla

Yeah I have done that rodeo as well, the Myth that its a 1hr 45 min journey makes me chuckle, no doubt somebody will do a cursory google Maps search to see the amount of time the journey takes but there are other factors that skew that time.

I think plenty of people in and around Dublin would be quite pleased to see less people travelling from other parts of the country. It's clogging up the roads, people living in places like Santry are finding that people are parking in residential areas due to the airport parking being full and there is an annual cap on the numbers that can fly through Dublin Airport that'll probably be reached before year end.

I suspect that cap on numbers is going to start forcing more traffic through Shannon and Cork, which seem to have plenty of spare capacity.

For what it's worth (and I know if won't suit everyone) I think the airport services provided by JJ Kavanagh's and Bus Eireann are a great option for those thinking about travelling to Dublin Airport this summer - particularly in light of the increasing cost of fuel and parking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

How will the cap at Dublin force more travel to Cork and Shannon?

Airlines aren't going to start routes from Cork and Shannon because they can't go to Dublin, they simply won't start the route and then everyone loses.

Advertisement