Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Max Moment wrote: »
    Carnac is a great spot. Was there in April

Glad to hear that....we heading to Carnac next month :-)

Anything you'd recommend in particular for the area?

Cheers cm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

What's the story as regards the spare bulbs you need to carry?

Are you supposed to have a replacement for each type of bulb on the car (that could be quite a few), or is it generally okay to just a carry a couple of spare headlight bulbs, for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Carmac is lovely. You have Trinité Sur Mer down the road as well, which is great too.

For the poster asking about what have in the car, I highly recommend you throw in a litre of oil. I remember having a mini heart attack on my first trip over when the oil light came on in the car on a Sunday afternoon out in the French countryside.

If you have buy the bits such as deflectors, drink driving kit, sticker, bulbs kit, hi viz etc just buy it all on MicksGarage and throw in a litre of oil.

Duffryman wrote: »
    What's the story as regards the spare bulbs you need to carry?

Are you supposed to have a replacement for each type of bulb on the car (that could be quite a few), or is it generally okay to just a carry a couple of spare headlight bulbs, for example?

As far as I know you need one of each. Hence just buy the kit with all the bulbs in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

As far as I know you need one of each. Hence just buy the kit with all the bulbs in it.

Yes, sets of bulbs for almost all car makes are available from Halfords or online from Amazon. Not expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Max Moment

Cartman78 wrote: »

Cheers cm

Nice walks along the beach and the beach is lovely. They were building a timber decking / promenade when I was there which hopefully should be finished now. You can walk all the way to Trinite sur mer which is lovely or to Carnac plage town.

A small hop on / off train brings you from Carnac to the standing stones (menhirs) via la trinite.

Nice town with loads of restaurants too within walking distance. Have been to Carnac a few times and will be back next year. Stayed in camping Des menhirs which we find great.

You have to try the churros too!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Cheers cm

Quiberon is a nice resort about 20 minutes drive away and from there you can get a boat over to Belle Île which is supposed to be lovely.

The nearest city, Vannes is also nice for a visit and walk around as is the old port in nearby Auray.

Lots of neolithic history in the area if you're into that sort of thing - the menhir alignments can be seen as you drive in and out of Carnac, but it's worth going for a walk in the forest to find the Manio Giant menhir which is the tallest standing standing stone in Britanny (spoiler: many of the menhirs were re-erected in the C19th, but then so was Stonehenge and most of Newgrange dates from the 1950s...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Cartman78 wrote:

There's a farm on the right hand side off thd Road into Carnac where they make their own cider. Absolutely gorgeous stuff! A ramshackle place as far as I can remember but don't let that put you off. Sorry I can't be more specific about the location... It was about 9 years ago when we were there.

If you get caught with a wet day there's a pretty cool aquarium in Vannes.

Also, there's a good zoo in Pont Scorf about 45 mins from Carmac which will kill a day too.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Jamemid

There's an amusement park called kingoland about 40 mins from there. Had great day with kids there. Carnac is lovely.

• Advertisement

Re: Carnac -

Thanks for all the info, really appreciate it.

Our lads are 4 and 7, so this is our first "big" holiday...sounds like there's plenty to keep everyone entertained

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Crank Stain

I hope Brittany Ferries get sorted before the high season, a lot at cancellations and delays over the next few days. Due to "second, separate technical problem" with the Pont Aven.

CORK TO ROSCOFF / ROSCOFF TO CORK
    17/05/19 Roscoff to Cork 20:30 - We're sorry to advise that this sailing will now depart on Saturday 18 May at 08:30 and arrive in Cork at 20:30.

18/05/19 Cork to Roscoff 16:00 - We're sorry to advise that this sailing will now depart at 22:30 and arrive in Roscoff on Sunday at 15:10.

An email and SMS has been sent to affected passengers.

CORK TO SANTANDER / SANTANDER TO CORK
    16/05/19 Santander to Cork 19:00 - Due to a late arrival, this sailing will now depart at approximately 22:30 local time. Latest check-in 21:00. The estimated arrival in Cork is 23:45. Please accept our apologies for the delay.

17/05/19 - Cork to Santander 22:30 - We're sorry to advise that this sailing is delayed due to a late arrival from Santander. Check in will now commence at 22:00, with the latest check in at 23:30. The arrival time in Santander on Sunday remains unchanged at 08:00. Please accept our apologies for the delay

https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/ferry-routes/planning/sailing-updates

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Charliebull

Cheers cm

where you staying

we were there the last 2 years

fab spot,

there is also a great zip wire park not far from there

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭BullBauld

where you staying

fab spot,

We're heading to Carnac also next month. Staying at La Grande Metairie. Can't wait ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

BullBauld wrote: »
    We're heading to Carnac also next month. Staying at La Grande Metairie. Can't wait ðŸ˜

Stayed there back in 2012, lovely campsite.

where you staying

fab spot,

We're staying in Le Grand Metaire as well :D

re: Driving -

Any tips for getting out of Roscoff? Or is it straightforward?

And would you recommend stopping anywhere enroute?

Merci beaucoup ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,639 ✭✭✭✭josip

Merci beaucoup ;)

Just follow the car in front of you to get out of Roscoff, it's not big.

When coming onto your first roundabout glance left, not right :)

The first roundabout in France always gets me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Charliebull

Grand Met is a fab campsite, we stayed there the last two years, kids will have a ball

off the ferry, plug in the sat nav and its approx an 1hr 45min journey, never bothered to stop

re roundabout, yes the first couple can be hairy before the brain kicks in

careful with the sat nav, sometimes it has brought people to the back gate of the camp site which you cant get in, front entrance is in front of the rocks (some people call them other things but to me their rocks in a field)

carnac is right beside you, super U there which is 10 mins drive (exit the back gate for going to carnac, once you have a fob you can get back in that way too), great sunday market in the village, recommend the crab

nice little bike hire shop on site, very reasonable priced too, save you having to bring bikes, i had a 7 year old last year who though the little bike he got was the best ever) 11 year old got a bigger bike and was impressed wit it

what model are you staying in, some of the eurocamps are on the main drag and can be difficult with younger kids and traffic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Not doing ferry, but are going camping in the Alps for two weeks
    decided it was too far to drive

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I hope Brittany Ferries get sorted before the high season, a lot at cancellations and delays over the next few days. Due to "second, separate technical problem" with the Pont Aven.

CORK TO ROSCOFF / ROSCOFF TO CORK
    17/05/19 Roscoff to Cork 20:30 - We're sorry to advise that this sailing will now depart on Saturday 18 May at 08:30 and arrive in Cork at 20:30.

18/05/19 Cork to Roscoff 16:00 - We're sorry to advise that this sailing will now depart at 22:30 and arrive in Roscoff on Sunday at 15:10.

An email and SMS has been sent to affected passengers.

CORK TO SANTANDER / SANTANDER TO CORK
    16/05/19 Santander to Cork 19:00 - Due to a late arrival, this sailing will now depart at approximately 22:30 local time. Latest check-in 21:00. The estimated arrival in Cork is 23:45. Please accept our apologies for the delay.

17/05/19 - Cork to Santander 22:30 - We're sorry to advise that this sailing is delayed due to a late arrival from Santander. Check in will now commence at 22:00, with the latest check in at 23:30. The arrival time in Santander on Sunday remains unchanged at 08:00. Please accept our apologies for the delay

https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/ferry-routes/planning/sailing-updates

Just saw this - I'm booked on next Saturday's sailing from Cork to Roscoff. I'll be watching to see what sort of a tub sails in to Cork tomorrow night. According to www.marinetraffic.com the Pont Aven is on its way from Roscoff to Brest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Merci beaucoup ;)

Do say hello ha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Poochie05

vienne86 wrote: »
    Just saw this - I'm booked on next Saturday's sailing from Cork to Roscoff. I'll be watching to see what sort of a tub sails in to Cork tomorrow night. According to www.marinetraffic.com the Pont Aven is on its way from Roscoff to Brest.

At least Brittany Ferries have other ships they can call in to service. The Armorique is leaving Roscoff for Cork this morning.

Merci beaucoup ;)

Roscoff is great to get out of. You'll be on single lane roads for the first 30mins or so and you will likely just be following a long line of other Irish cars.

Regarding where to stop between Carnac and Roscoff, I'd just keep driving. It's only 2 and half hours. Maybe stop at a petrol station to stretch the legs. The last two years when travelling back up to Roscoff from St Jean De Monts, we stop in Carmac for lunch. If you're looking for a town, I'd suggest Carhaix-Plouger.

Poochie05 wrote: »
    At least Brittany Ferries have other ships they can call in to service. The Armorique is leaving Roscoff for Cork this morning.

Saw that - anyone every been on the Amorique?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭54and56

Merci beaucoup ;)

Roscoff is very straightforward to get out of. As you exit the port (just follow all the other cars) you'll stop at a "T" junction. Turn left into the right hand lane and off you go.

The first roundabout can be a bit stressy if you're not used to driving on the right. Just remember to give way to traffic from the left.

A good tip is to download the France map from Google Maps before leaving Ireland. This will reduce your reliance on having a good roaming connection and also reduce your data usage which isn't as much of an issue these days.

I like to put Google Maps links for the stops I want to make into my calendar app so on arrival all I have to do is launch the calendar, click on the link for our first stop (https://goo.gl/maps/mbs6CCUg2v8MGK3t8) and by the time we're 100m from the ferry Google Maps will have plotted the route and calculated the journey time including anticipated traffic delays if there are any providing you have the traffic feature activated in the app.

I used to have a dedicated in car GPS device (a Garmin) but found that Goggle Maps tends to be much more up to date with road closures, re-configurations and traffic delays so I ditched the Garmin and just rely on Google Maps now especially as the offline feature means I don't have to rely on having a good data connection as we drive.

Grand Met is a fab campsite, we stayed there the last two years, kids will have a ball

off the ferry, plug in the sat nav and its approx an 1hr 45min journey, never bothered to stop

re roundabout, yes the first couple can be hairy before the brain kicks in

careful with the sat nav, sometimes it has brought people to the back gate of the camp site which you cant get in, front entrance is in front of the rocks (some people call them other things but to me their rocks in a field)

carnac is right beside you, super U there which is 10 mins drive (exit the back gate for going to carnac, once you have a fob you can get back in that way too), great sunday market in the village, recommend the crab

nice little bike hire shop on site, very reasonable priced too, save you having to bring bikes, i had a 7 year old last year who though the little bike he got was the best ever) 11 year old got a bigger bike and was impressed wit it

what model are you staying in, some of the eurocamps are on the main drag and can be difficult with younger kids and traffic

We are staying in a 3 bed Vivaldi with al fresco. Could you advise re: bedding, did you bring anything extra. I did pay for linen and toddler pack.
    Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Max Moment

Merci beaucoup ;)

We stopped in Quimper this year. Getting off the ferry in Roscoff early Sunday morning, not much is open. But when we arrive in quimper, the Carrefour supermarket now opens Sunday for a few hours which was great to get a few breakfast bits. We then drove onto Concarneau at the sea and stopped there for a picnic which was lovely.

An hour or so drive then left to Carnac which was ideal.

Hope this helps

Max Moment wrote: »
    We stopped in Quimper this year. Getting off the ferry in Roscoff early Sunday morning, not much is open. But when we arrive in quimper, the Carrefour supermarket now opens Sunday for a few hours which was great to get a few breakfast bits. We then drove onto Concarneau at the sea and stopped there for a picnic which was lovely.

An hour or so drive then left to Carnac which was ideal.

Hope this helps
    It helps me, thank you!

I'm heading to Carnac next weekend - staying in a hotel there for two nights, then three nights in Douarnenez for three nights, returning from Roscoff the following weekend......it's a Brittany Ferries hotel break.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Baybay

Arrived into Cherbourg yesterday morning on the WB.
    For those that might be interested,having used the OW for years & years, I have a few thoughts on the new service.

The WB looked very ordinary in it’s berth & I couldn’t help think how impressive it’d have looked sweeping down into the harbour in Rosslare. Minor thing.

EVERYONE must have paid for priority boarding. We had & it made no difference in Dublin or Cherbourg. In Dublin, the priority seemed to be to move on whoever was in the way of the buses getting on. In Cherbourg, there was a lot of queuing to get off, a lot of impatience & other drivers trying to take advantage of the “go round” exiting to skip the queue. Staff numbers seemed lower & some seemed uncertain about how to instruct drivers. Teething problems perhaps but it wasn’t even a full sailing.
    There were no welcome staff at the stairwells, no little stickers indicating the decks etc which always seemed a bit superfluous on the OW but most knew where they needed to go on that.
    We travelled with our cat. In the weeks before the sailing I contacted IF numerous times, using various media to check the facilities but no one offered much, if anything, beyond that he could travel & there’d be a cattery. We found where the kennels were as we could hear the dogs barking & it happened to be near the entry point from our car deck. Very nice chap there brought us to the cattery. No access to water, no litter provided & no bin. Not a patch on the OW, the two or three dog owners I spoke to weren’t too impressed with their facilities either. In fairness though, after speaking to another staff member, the cat facilities were changed relatively last minute & the litter boxes hadn’t been put in. Although we had already gone back to the car for litter & water, our tray wouldn’t have fitted so we were pleased to be offered theirs, which did. It ended up, despite initial appearances, a good spot & he travelled quite happily.

Now the good bits! I thought the ship was lovely. The colour schemes are calm, the corridors spacious & there seemed much more of a buzz in the common areas than the OW. Novelty perhaps but the bar was bustling. We ate in the Lady Gregory & some of the staff remembered us & greeted us warmly. We thoroughly enjoyed the restaurant experience, the service, the food, the ambience. And again, for breakfast. Cabins may well be a little tighter, certainly in the bathroom but the shower curtains are hugely improved, soundproofing seems better & the overhead bunk storage is neat! Every staff member that we dealt with were chatty, helpful & while some things are not ideal for the crew, all seemed anxious to ensure our trip went well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Nice to see a positive report.

Advertisement