Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options
1350351352353354356»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

Thinking a few yrs ahead and all things going well myself & the missus are hoping to go working on a campsite as a couple for a few summers. We'll be late 50s then and will want to do something completely different, We've been to campsites for 15 yrs so we kinda know what's involved. Has anyone got some info that would be useful. Kelair have a recruitment drive every Yr.. thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Hi All, Heading to the Siblu Villages in saint jean de monts - Le Bois Dormant side of the road in the summer, Driving over there via Rosslare/Cherbourg and have got the basic package so far (No bed linen or cleaning included yet), Has anyone else any recommendations of stuff they didn't bring that the wish they did? A fan maybe cause no air con(Going in the end of June) or extension leads just as an example), Just trying to think of stuff that We might not even think off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Pro tip, bring cheap fitted bed sheets and leave them behind at the end of your holiday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Baybay

Daughter worked with Siblu a summer or two during college a few years back. Centralised interview process, in Manchester I think it was at the time, a few months in advance. She’d applied for both entertainment & courier positions but ended up being offered a reception staff role as she speaks a few languages. IIRC, she was asked for three sites that she’d prefer, which she chose based on our family holidays but ended up being offered a completely different one which she accepted. On site accommodation & a mainly young staff, like herself so they had a great time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Bring a decent chopping board and some good kitchen knives as well as some of your own BBQ equipment.

We found those were critical.

I have seen some people bring the bloody air fryer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,347 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

electric grill/bbq and extension cord.

set it up outside on the decking and cook away. all the french seem to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Peckham

Here's our list. Overkill perhaps, but easier to buy some of this stuff in Ireland, and handy enough with room in the boot!

Love drinking from my favourite mug, hence it makes the trip!!

Antibac spray
    Antibac wipes
    Cloths
    Sponges
    Washing up liquid
    Dishwasher tablets
    Clothes detergent
    Soap

Muesli
    Ketchup
    Mayonnaise
    Coffee
    Nespresso capsules
    Salt
    Pepper
    Sugar
    Cornflakes
    Rice Krispies
    Gin
    Tonic
    Pasta
    Pasta sauces

Tea towels
    Aeropress
    Mugs
    Knives
    Steak knives
    Screwdrivers
    Speaker
    Chargers
    Travel Plugs
    Extension cable

Air fryer. Interesting. I'll be considering adding that to the list! Great for the chips with the BBQ

Great Shout guys, Some real helpful ones there and im sure it will also help others other than me ☺️,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

good shout on these things if you’re travelling by ferry. No point buying salt and pepper and various condiments if they usually get used over 3 months at home. Same goes for cleaning sprays and cloths. Also second the good knives if you’re into cooking.

• Advertisement

Yep, great shout out - bring your salt and pepper shakers. We also bring a tub of washing powder - enough to do 3 or 4 washes.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭rex_turner

Agree with the others.

Never think to bring a chopping board and a good knife and always frustrated when trying to prep even simple things with the ones supplied.

Hi Peckham, Thanks for above, one question…Why the screwdriver? Didn't plan on doing DIY when i was away myself 😁Is it just incase something breaks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Has anyone here taken their gas Ooni with them and if so how did you fair out with gas? Was it the same connection as the BBQ on site or did you have to get a separate bottle?

Ha! Yeah, it's a just in case. Think I stole my list from someone else who posted theirs here a long time ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Icsics

Cooler box…freeze your milk…lovely to have breakfast ready for when u arrive 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Hey guys, I'm very late with the planning stage of things things year due to multiple reasons, we usually go the last 10 days of June into July for 4 weeks but our daughter is finishing primary School this year so she needs to be around for graduation and discos 🙄🙄

I'm away with work in July so we're into uncharted peak peak territory in August (bar one Covid year)

We also added a dog to the family with the idea of bringing him with us but unfortunately he's not France ready yet and I don't want to lose a hefty deposit when he eats the mobile home, luckily a friend has offered to take him but we're not going to completely take advantage and go for 4 weeks so we've cut it back to 15 days.

I had to pull the trigger on the ferry last week as the cabins were already gone on one leg so we're doing Puy Du Fou for the first 4 nights but I'm looking for advice on the final 11 nights, we go to Domaine De Kerlann every year and love it but I enjoy walking to nearby towns which isn't ideal here as it's a busy 40 minute walk to Nevez.

This is still an option but there's are 4 other campsites on my radar if anyone has any advice after previous statys it would be greatly appreciated

1. Domaine De Kermario

2. Le Domaine De Brehadour

3. Le California

4. Bel Campsite.

Thanks in advance, oh and the airfryer, coffee machine and toasty maker have been coming with us for the last 8 years.

La Tranche Sur Mer is beautiful and there's a Super U 5mins walk from Bel. I absolutely loved the place but your daughter might be a bit/very bored in the campsite. It's definitely one of the smaller ones and there aren't a lot of activities in it, bar Eurocamp's ones.

However, there is a lovely beach nearby and you can do watersports there, as well as an I door water park. The town is 15-20mins walk away with a good few restaurants and nice tourist shops.

The good thing about Bel is that families tend to get to know each other compared to other sites. Oh and they have a very nice gym too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Hey,

Thanks so much for your reply, I was just looking at the La Bel website and it says no evening entertainment? Surely this is a mistake or am I missing something?

Also just wondering if there's a full schedule of a activities all day long, ie archery, football, tennis, excursions etc?

Thanks

They used to have entertainment for the smallest like a film or something like that but nothing major like a band or music for adults. We used to sit outside the reception/bar with a glass of wine chatting to the other parents while the kids watched a film nearby and then played in the playground until it was lights out at 10.30 and the bar closed.

No excursions when I was there either because they didn't have the numbers I think. It's really aimed at younger families so there were barely any teenagers when I was there so no excursions. No football or anything like that because they don't have the space and, again, it's mainly younger kids doing painting, arts and crafts, chocolate parties, singing etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 daisyroselady

Hi,

Looking for some advice for our first family camping trip to France. We're travelling with 3 children-5, 3 and 1 year old via ferry from Ringaskiddy to Roscoff.

We're going for 2 weeks (last week June, 1st week July) and plan to go to 2 campsites-drive to Vendée region first and then back to Brittany. Some people have advised just doing the 2 weeks in one site but we prefer the idea of changing it up.

Anyway we've already booked & paid for the 2nd part-Domaine Des Ormes (my sister was there last year and loved it)so we are just stuck for options for Vendée. We've narrowed it down to 2-Le Pins Parasol or Le littoral (but open to other suggestions). As our kids are small we are just trying to pick which one would suit them best-good kids club, mini disco, pool etc. As we're late booking, accommodation is limited-4 shell accommodation with Sandya in Le Littoral and premium chalets with Eurocamp in Le Pins Parasol so not sure if this should influence our decision. From reading around, I feel LPP could be similar to DDO in terms of size etc so perhaps this is why we should go with Le littoral for diversity. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I'm getting more confused the more TripAdvisor reviews & forums I read! Thank you for reading this far 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

This is my first year camping as well, so I rang Kelair for advice last August.

We have 2 children, they will be 5 and 2 this summer, and the rep recommended La Littoral to us.

Le Pins Parasol was one of the options we considered too, but went with 2 weeks in La Littoral in the end.

As I said, I've no actual experience of the site, so take this as a third hand recommendation

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Hi

We went to Le Littoral last year and really enjoyed it. A few families travelled together with kids similar age to yours.

The site is very secure and felt very safe for kids to tip around.

There was entertainment every evening (this was mid July) with loads to keep the young ones occupied.

Decent shop on site. Good restaurant and bar. Plenty to do around too, water park, beaches, Pay du Fou and various other parks and activities.

We're trying Le Clary's Plage this year for a change but another family are going back to Le Littoral they liked it so much. You won't go wrong.

+1 for Le Littoral. We were there in 2021 with 3 kids (aged 4, 7 and 10 at the time).

One of the nicest, best quality campsites we've stayed on. Pool and slides were excellent, staff fantastic and mini disco great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭rex_turner

Firstly, I think you're brave to do a two destination holiday. I find it a pain to pack up and move out by 10am and we always pay for cleaning (usually €100+), so don't even have to do that. But you didn't ask for advice on that, so...!

Given the ages of your kids it might be worth looking at Le Fief in St Brevin des Pins. It's about 3.5 hours from the ferry, a smaller campsite. Not so many Irish (but a few families there alright) which may be a positive or negative for you. It has a great indoor pool, ideal for your age kids - useful if the weather isn't great or if it's too hot to have them outside. They have a great kids club for your 5 year old but they have a creche type club for the younger children which a lot of campsites don't cater for - we didn't use it but did see it and it looked very nice. I also think it is free in June ( you pay in high season). It is part of the Sunelia group but is family run and you see the owner about keeping a good eye on things so it's very well run. Lots of entertainment in the evening if that's your thing but also easy to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

Two locations in two weeks, no bother to ya, will be grand. We did 3 in 3 weeks last year with another family. We found the last day or so in each place we were looking forward to a change of scenery. Doing 3 places in two weeks this year which is probably madness but the kids won't care. It's an adventure, bit of effort mixed in with all of the over indulgence works for me anyway.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm just wondering did you book Le littoral direct or via ?which company. Thank you

Thank you @ https://www.boards.ie/profile/rex_turner . Will look at Le Fief…maybe even an option for next year if this year is a success!!

Advertisement