Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

Yeah, both just say general things like 'we'll tow your car to the nearest approved garage for repair'.

Might make some difference if the AA had maybe 10,000 approved garages and the other only had 10, but other than that, I see no difference between what both of them list on their sites.

I tried the webchat thing on the AA site yesterday to ask this question, but all I got there was a long copy-and-paste list of 'our cover includes......' as well. Didn't actually tell me what they provide over and above anybody else, to justify such a big price difference.

So, looks like roadrescue.ie for us too....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Has anyone applied for the Crit'Air Sticker for driving in France?
    Although we did last drive in France in Summer 2017, we didn't apply for one at that stage.
    How long does it take to receive one ? We leave in 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭webpal

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Although we did last drive in France in Summer 2017, we didn't apply for one at that stage.

Yep, got one last year, only took a few days

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

webpal wrote:
    Yep, got one last year, only took a few days

Me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Ryath

SusanC10 wrote: »

Make sure that you order on the official one.
    https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/en/
    There is other unofficial sites that show up when you search that will charge you and extra €25 for the pleasure of then ordering it for you!
    It only cost me €4.11 last year. Never actually went into any city needing it but it's good to have for peace of mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Has anyone traveled with access to the Club Lounge on the WB Yeats? Just wondering what the complimentary snacks and drinks are like?

Incidentally did the crit'air application earlier in the week - about the hardest part of the process was downsizing the pdf!

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Electric

Evening Folks,

Looking for advice on where to stop off between Cherbourg and central Brittany, near Lake Guerledan. We've 2 young kids, who aren't the best in the car, so places that are an hour/ hour and a half apart would be ideal. Also if anyone could recommend somewhere for lunch in Cherbourg, I'd be much obliged.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Electric wrote: »
    Evening Folks,

Looking for advice on where to stop off between Cherbourg and central Brittany, near Lake Guerledan. We've 2 young kids, who aren't the best in the car, so places that are an hour/ hour and a half apart would be ideal. Also if anyone could recommend somewhere for lunch in Cherbourg, I'd be much obliged.

Cheers!

Our kids are 7 and 4 this year. Our 3rd annual trip is coming up in August. We just stick with McDonalds. Everyone is happy, you know what you're getting and its open every day. Most of the French ones have little play areas.

Our kids are 7 and 4 this year. Our 3rd annual trip is coming up in August. We just stick with McDonalds. Everyone is happy, you know what you're getting and its open every day. Most of the French ones have little play areas.

Yes, for kids the McDonalds in Cherbourg opposite Carrefour is a simple solution.

There are rest stops (called Aire) all along the main routes about every 20k. They all have picnic tables and grassy/play areas where kids can work off some energy. Many (not all) have shops/cafes too so a bit of advance research will help you plan. I'd say that would be easier than trying to go into any towns along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Electric wrote: »
    Evening Folks,

Cheers!

Usually we stop at a supermarket straight off the ferry and pick up some items for a picnic and stop at one of the many picnic areas on the motorways (called Aires) there’s usually one every 20-30 miles all well maintained and most have picnic benches/ toilets etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Electric

McDonald's and a trip to Carrefour to pick up a picnic sounds like a great idea.

Thanks for the steer, much obliged!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Anybody got a discount code for Irish ferries? Booking last minute and looking to save a couple of quid if I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deeman83

Has anyone ever come across a map of aires along west coast of France?

It would be useful to help plan our journey down to the Vendee.

We have a caravan in tow as well so needs a bit more thought than the lucky car drivers cruising along at 80mph ;)

Also, a lot of Aires dont have shop, fuel garage, etc. They are only car parks with a public toilet and grassy/picnic area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Baybay

Haven’t looked for a map but if it’s any help, aires are plentiful & well signposted in advance. In addition they also have signage giving information about the services provided, whether it’s basically somewhere to pull in & use the bathroom or whether fuel, food & atms etc are available. In my experience, most are roomy enough to accommodate towed caravans, campervans etc too.
    I think if you route plan with the AA or Mappy, aires are indicated along the chosen route. It may also be possible to identify services offered, I’m mot sure. Edited to say, just had a quick look & the AA doesn’t seem to offer that as part of the planner now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,786 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

If you're heading to South Britanny or the Vendee, Aire de Mont-St-Michel on the A84 is a good one to stop at. It's about halfway between Cherbourg and Nantes, and has decent facilities. Usually loads of Irish cars there too on a ferry day.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Deeman83 wrote: »
    Has anyone ever come across a map of aires along west coast of France?

It would be useful to help plan our journey down to the Vendee.

We have a caravan in tow as well so needs a bit more thought than the lucky car drivers cruising along at 80mph ;)

Also, a lot of Aires dont have shop, fuel garage, etc. They are only car parks with a public toilet and grassy/picnic area.
    www.viamichelin.ie
    You pick your start and end and click search. You can then overlay various rest stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deeman83

loyatemu wrote: »
    If you're heading to South Britanny or the Vendee, Aire de Mont-St-Michel on the A84 is a good one to stop at. It's about halfway between Cherbourg and Nantes, and has decent facilities. Usually loads of Irish cars there too on a ferry day.

That looks like a good one.

Does anyone know of another decent one around Nantes, close to main route either on north side or south side of Loire?

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭oinkely

We always found with the caravan that everywhere was a rest stop!

Just pull off the motorway and you will generally find somewhere handy enough for pulling in and grabbing a bite to eat while sitting in the comfort of your own couch!

As the toilet still works the kids can take care of business while stopped. Always worked for us so far, though official aires are great facilities also. If you have food, you will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭mrskinner

There is a services area with fuel and shop + parking near Treillieres on the motorway about 10 km north of Nantes. You can view it on Google maps. Aire de Treillières is the sign to look out for on motorway.

There's so many that I've never bothered to note specific ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭BullBauld

First timers doing the ferry/driving in France.

Heading to Carnac mid June with a 2 year old.

Any advice on what to bring, what's required for the car or anything in general.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

Off the ferry I like to get to Nantes in one blast after which my wife typically does the 160km leg to Niort where we grab another break and I then do the last leg past Bordeaux to La Reserve.

My preference is to negotiate the Nantes orbital before stopping but have never found a decent Aire just south of Nantes.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Does anyone know if the shop/restaurant facility on the East side of Aire de la Grassiniere on the E3 motorway can be accessed when driving South? The West side of the Aire (the side you have to enter when travelling south) appears to have the bare minimum fuel pumps and picnic tables only but across the road has what looks like a decent shop and restaurant area.

BullBauld wrote:
    Any advice on what to bring, what's required for the car or anything in general.

The AA and RAC websites have the list of things needed (legally) for the car but the key essentials are headlight beam deflectors, high viz jackets, fire extinguisher and spare bulbs.

Check you have insurance cover and if you use a satnav, ensure France is installed and up to date.

If you plan to drive into any cities you will need a Crit'Air sticker (not needed in rural areas or smaller towns.)

First Up wrote: »
    The AA and RAC websites have the list of things needed (legally) for the car but the key essentials are headlight beam deflectors, high viz jackets, fire extinguisher and spare bulbs.
    Fire extinguisher is not a legal requirement as far as I'm aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Check you have insurance cover and if you use a satnav, ensure France is installed and up to date.

If you plan to drive into any cities you will need a Crit'Air sticker (not needed in rural areas or smaller towns.)

Just reminded me I need to look into a fire extinguisher

Macy0161 wrote:
    Fire extinguisher is not a legal requirement as far as I'm aware.

Yes, I don't see it on the RAC site at the moment. I have one anyway.

I forgot to include the warning triangle, which is compulsory.

Yes, I don't see it on the RAC site at the moment. I have one anyway.
    A bit like the breathlysers - it seems to be a grey area. Not a legal requirement for driving, but potentially falling foul of the Good Samaritan law...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Ryath

Fire extinguisher isn't a requirement but I like having it. Not all car's need the reflectors either check your manual. You're required to carry your insurance cert and car log/registration book too. One of the hi viz vest must be accessible with in in the car you can keep the rest in the boot. Warning Triangle is a requirement too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,786 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

54&56 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the shop/restaurant facility on the East side of Aire de la Grassiniere on the E3 motorway can be accessed when driving South? The West side of the Aire (the side you have to enter when travelling south) appears to have the bare minimum fuel pumps and picnic tables only but across the road has what looks like a decent shop and restaurant area.

I don't think so. It's not a great aire, no bigger than typical Irish petrol station with a Centra attached. Les Brouzils a bit further south is bigger and can be accessed southbound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Max Moment

BullBauld wrote: »
    First timers doing the ferry/driving in France.

Heading to Carnac mid June with a 2 year old.

Thanks

Carnac is a great spot. Was there in April

Advertisement