Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terminator: Dark Fate **Spoilers from post 983**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

It'll live! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I didn't think Genisys was quite that bad
    I'm one of those people that has to see something through to the end once it starts, but Genysis is one of the only movies in my life that I have turned off halfway through watching.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Yeah by the end of that film I didn't even want the machines to win, I wanted them both to lose!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,643 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Billy86 wrote: »
    I'm one of those people that has to see something through to the end once it starts, but Genysis is one of the only movies in my life that I have turned off halfway through watching.

Ye I am like that too but can't stand Salvation for me it's the worst Terminator film. Genysis has its flaws but to me it's far better than Salvation.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,902 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Actor Gabriel Luna Is New Terminator
    Luna will be joined by new costars Natalia Reyes, star of Lady, La Vendedora de Rosas, and Scream Queens’ Diego Boneta.

http://www.vulture.com/2018/04/agents-of-s-h-i-e-l-d-actor-gabriel-luna-is-your-terminator.html

• Advertisement

I wonder what type he'll be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Should just let this die now.

As flawed and as unnecessary as T3 was, in the context of a viable timeline, it continued the story fairly well, setting up a new story to be told in the future war, which as fans, we all desperately wanted to see.

That film turned out to be Salvation, an absolutely missed opportunity.

Genysis was garbage, just glorified fan fiction.

The franchise is just a mess at this stage. The new trilogy of films could be good, but I highly doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The franchise is just a mess at this stage. The new trilogy of films could be good, but I highly doubt it.
    The time for films like T2 is gone, Hollywood isnt brave enough anymore to do anything non-PG for productions like this, you'll never see anything like the T1000 sticking a spike through the milk carton and the stepfather again, its all stupid cartoon gunplay with everyone missing each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Thargor wrote: »
    The time for films like T2 is gone, Hollywood isnt brave enough anymore to do anything non-PG for productions like this, you'll never see anything like the T1000 sticking a spike through the milk carton and the stepfather again, its all stupid cartoon gunplay with everyone missing each other.

I'd recommend Logan for you. Really caught me off guard in that sense when comparing to the other superhero movies. I'm also not mad on the superhero craze (they're ok but just as background fluff for the most part), but that was incredible. EDIT: And very, very violent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

The Terminator franchise, like Jurassic Park franchise, needs to be left alone at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

This post has been deleted.

The drop in quality from T2 to T3 is stark.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Greyfox

T1 & T2 was plenty. Cameron made s good call stopping it there.
    Although not a patch on 1&2 T3 was enjoyable with plenty of excellent action scenes, Salvation was flawed but quite good and the 1st half of Genysis was good before all the trying to explain the mumbo jumbo kicked in and the tv series is underrated. Now that Cameron is producing there's good reason to be hopeful

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭weemcd

Greyfox wrote: »
    Although not a patch on 1&2 T3 was enjoyable with plenty of excellent action scenes, Salvation was flawed but quite good and the 1st half of Genysis was good before all the trying to explain the mumbo jumbo kicked in and the tv series is underrated. Now that Cameron is producing there's good reason to be hopeful

Absolutely spot on here. My thoughts exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭rockatansky

T3 is the the worst of the films. Awful awful movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

They should have left this at T2 which, in my opinion, is an excellent film and rounded things off nicely.

T3 was a travesty.
    T4 was slightly better than T3 but still garbage.
    T5 is an utter joke of a film.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I just wish they'd stop trying to fit Schwarzenegger into the film(s).

There's still a good story in there somewhere but (probably) not with a 70 year old Terminator.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Goodshape wrote: »

There's still a good story in there somewhere but (probably) not with a 70 year old Terminator.

I wonder if he will do it now after his recent health scare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Goodshape wrote: »

An even more valid point now that it's been pretty well proven that he's not much of a box office draw anyway.

Most of his recent films did fairly bad to medicore business. Terminator Genysis was the best performing by a mile and that was really trading on brand name and the mother of dragons.

Love the man and love his charisma but it's time to just cut him lose from this franchise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Who in their right minds would go to see another Terminator movie. Every single 1 of them has been awful since T2.

That was almost 30 years ago!

Most of his recent films did fairly bad to medicore business. Terminator Genysis was the best performing by a mile and that was really trading on brand name and the mother of dragons.

No one went to it because she was starring, hell I'd bet that more people paid to see it for Jason Clarke than her. I don't mind the recent films, they're by the numbers and a lil bland but each has had a nugget of a good idea but constant rewrites seem to damage them. Bale's changes to Terminator 4 took an interesting idea and turned it into summer blockbuster by the numbers, I'd still like to see the film as originally intended as it seemed at least to be trying something interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭rockatansky

There's only ever going to be one way for fans of the series to get the movie they want, and that's for Cameron to get is ass back in the Directors chair. All this Exec Producer rubbish is just a bit part. There's absolutely no one else out there who can do can deliver to the standards of the first 2 films. He seems to be taking more of an interest in the series again. Maybe when he gets the rights back next year he'll hopefully decide to give it another go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

The future war depicted in T2 is all the fans have ever wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,511 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

sugarman wrote: »
    Agreed.

They could even just shoehorn him in there as a human scientist or something on which the T-800 was modeled after in a cameo appearance / side plot.

Either way, Im still holding out for a semi decent film with Cameron, Hamilton and Schwarzenegger involved. It cant be any worse than the last 2 anyway.

That was a thing on the T3 DVD where it showed arnie as a person who the T-800 was designed after.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Defunkd

As flawed and as unnecessary as T3 was, in the context of a viable timeline, it continued the story fairly well, setting up a new story to be told in the future war, which as fans, we all desperately wanted to see.

Um, T3 is basically a copy of T2 but manages to pis* on important aspects of T/T2.

Film opens with footage of the future war.
    Return to modern day to see a liquid metal terminator being sent to kill john connor and arnie-bot sent to protect him.
    Liquid terminator kills cop and steals gun while arnie goes to a bar and steals black leather clothes and sunglasses.
    Both machines find john at the same time and end up fighting each other with the liquid T getting the upper hand. This leads to a crosstown chase with john being followed by liquid t in a truck and arnie behind.
    Arnie rescues john and the female lead, takes them out of town to hide and arm themselves which ends up in a shootout with police. The creator of skynet gets shot, dies, liquid t catches up with them, gets into a fight where arnie bot gets killed. He comes back at the last minute to kill the LT in a fiery climax, sacrificing himself. <--- that is a plot summary of T3. By no coincidence, it is a summary of T2 also.

T/T2 establish that JD was skynet's response to human attempts to shut it down. T3 says skynet started it; having turned psychopathic and genocidal for some unknown reason (T Gen says skynet sent robo john back in time to create skynet, meaning it created itself...from the future!). T3 says JD "is inevitable" despite 1/2 saying "there is no fate but that which we make" but if JD is inevitable, how the fcuk was JD just postponed?
    It's nothing personal against your view but T3 is a pile of sh*t and the T franchise has more bad films than good ones in it...t3 being the first episode in the bout of diarrhea that it has become.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Come on now, terminator 3 is a really good movie.
    Sure the first two are better but it's a fairly good movie by itself. Just compare it to salvation it genysis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

Sure the first two are better but it's a fairly good movie by itself. Just compare it to salvation it genysis

Best thing about T3 is the ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Defunkd

Couldn't disagree more. There were a couple of interesting developments that, if fleshed out more, would have made it better: TX targerring lieutenants, etc; because no info was available on John; an anti-terminator terminator to destroy the reprogrammed t800's of the resistance.

But there was just far too much plot armour, forced humour and crappy writing for it to pass as a decent stand alone movie, much less a sequel/remake/reboot imo. TX nearly orgasms when she tastes John's blood...ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The Daily Mail has some photos of Linda Hamilton and Mackenzie Davis on set in Madrid recently. Hamilton may be 61 now, but does not look like she's going to take any crap from anyone or anything, while Davis' character looks like she's been knocked around a fair bit. The article has a couple of minor plot spoilers.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Advertisement