Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 DCM (& Limerick & Berlin) Graduates Log: How far can we go?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Can I ask a question about the same plan Dealerz2.0 is talking about?
    The long runs are described as easy not marathon pace. There's no marathon pace mile runs.
    Should I trust the plan here too?
    Sorry, if its a silly question.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

The long runs are described as easy not marathon pace. There's no marathon pace mile runs.
    Thanks.

Yip, trust it. As skyblue46 said it’s all different pieces of a jigsaw fitting together. Having been coached by L through 2 marathon blocks I know he’s not a big advocate on MP miles in long runs, I ran a PB in each marathon so done me no harm.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Yip, trust it. As skyblue46 said it’s all different pieces of a jigsaw fitting together. Having been coached by L through 2 marathon blocks I know he’s not a big advocate on MP miles in long runs, I ran a PB in each marathon so done me no harm.

That's more than good enough for me so!
    Thanks so much OOnegative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Thanks.

I think this has come up before and although it's not spelled out as "MP" on the plan, there are MP runs; they're just called whatever lines up with the runfastcoach calculator. From post #5864 on:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057220922&page=391

Huzzah! wrote: »
    I think this has come up before and although it's not spelled out as "MP" on the plan, there are MP runs; they're just called whatever lines up with the runfastcoach calculator. From post #5864 on:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057220922&page=391

Thanks Huzzah. Yup, I was thinking this also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Is it just me or does anyone else ever feel a little bit apprehensive about the prospect of incorporating speedwork into their training?

I just can't put my finger on it, but just the thought of running for any more than 5 minutes at half marathon pace or more makes me panic. There's this fear of me not being able to sustain such a pace before keeling over in a heap.

When I'm in the moment, or in an actual race, I feel absolutely fine but the anticipation of doing it freaks me out.

I know it probably sounds irrational, but just thought i'd put it out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

coogy wrote: »
    Is it just me or does anyone else ever feel a little bit apprehensive about the prospect of incorporating speedwork into their training?

I just can't put my finger on it, but just the thought of running for any more than 5 minutes at half marathon pace or more makes me panic. There's this fear of me not being able to sustain such a pace before keeling over in a heap.

When I'm in the moment, or in an actual race, I feel absolutely fine but the anticipation of doing it freaks me out.

All the time :) and usually pleasantly surprised after at how well it went. Irrational, but we're so used to the slow pace, the idea of going faster is strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I’m normally nervous before sessions and long runs too for that matter. I’m always afraid I won’t be able - probably adds to the buzz after then when you do achieve them.

Kellygirl wrote: »
    I’m normally nervous before sessions and long runs too for that matter. I’m always afraid I won’t be able - probably adds to the buzz after then when you do achieve them.

Very true K! The feeling afterwards is definitely worth it!!!

If anyone's completed the 8x1 min hills (2-3 min rec) on the 10k-half marathon plan, just curious about the pacing?

• Advertisement

If anyone's completed the 8x1 min hills (2-3 min rec) on the 10k-half marathon plan, just curious about the pacing?

Apologies, I've just found the answer!!!!
    Fast enough where you are challenged but focus on form and posture and lifting those knees and powering up the hill. Enough effort that you'll manage all 8. Pick a point that you reach at the end of the first one and that's your target for the remaining 7. Forget about paces for this one. It should be tough but not so tough that your form goes out the window. But not so easy that you'd manage two or three more. A fine balance!

Actually, there was one other thing I wanted to ask. I've just worked out the elevation of the hill that I'll be doing the sprints on and it's got an estimated elevation of around 16 feet. Does that sound excessive to anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Actually, there was one other thing I wanted to ask. I've just worked out the elevation of the hill that I'll be doing the sprints on and it's got an estimated elevation of around 16 feet. Does that sound excessive to anyone?

Ideally you're looking at 5-6% gradient. I'd be thinking you would be covering 225 to 250 metres in a minute so you are hoping for 13-15 metres of elevation or about 45 feet...From reading logs here and from experience the Khyber road from the bollards at the bottom upwards is ideal. WW also seems to have found a section opposite the West County hotel that also fits the bill. Have a read of his log to find out exactly where. It might be convenient enough to you.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Ideally you're looking at 5-6% gradient. I'd be thinking you would be covering 225 to 250 metres in a minute so you are hoping for 13-15 metres of elevation or about 45 feet...From reading logs here and from experience the Khyber road from the bollards at the bottom upwards is ideal. WW also seems to have found a section opposite the West County hotel that also fits the bill. Have a read of his log to find out exactly where. It might be convenient enough to you.

Ok thanks S, so it would seem that the gradient is not quite what I thought it was. I think I have another option to run one with about a 6/7% gradient.
    I'm familiar with that stretch you mentioned. Sounds good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

DCM graduate here! Slowly picking up the miles again heading into Half Marathon season.. Looking forward to Carlingford on the 2nd!

Quick question (and Mods don’t be afraid to move this elsewhere if unrelated). My club is in Monaghan and I live in Dublin (Glasnevin) during the week. Finding it very hard to get past 4/5 miles by myself as I like running in a pack! Also I don’t get home every weekend so don’t get to do my long run with my club and face the lonely miles by myself. Could anyone point me in the direction of a casual running group based in Dublin 7/9 that heads out the odd night mid week in the evenings and at the weekends? I’m by no means a speedy. Average is a 55min 10k kind of speed.

Thanks guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

smeal wrote: »
    DCM graduate here! Slowly picking up the miles again heading into Half Marathon season.. Looking forward to Carlingford on the 2nd!

Quick question (and Mods don’t be afraid to move this elsewhere if unrelated). My club is in Monaghan and I live in Dublin (Glasnevin) during the week. Finding it very hard to get past 4/5 miles by myself as I like running in a pack! Also I don’t get home every weekend so don’t get to do my long run with my club and face the lonely miles by myself. Could anyone point me in the direction of a casual running group based in Dublin 7/9 that heads out the odd night mid week in the evenings and at the weekends? I’m by no means a speedy. Average is a 55min 10k kind of speed.

Thanks guys!

I'm in the D9/D11 area. Plenty of Boardsies run in the area but I've never seen much in terms of groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,707 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Ok thanks S, so it would seem that the gradient is not quite what I thought it was. I think I have another option to run one with about a 6/7% gradient.
    I'm familiar with that stretch you mentioned. Sounds good too.

I use onthegomap.com to plan my routes and it has an elevation tab which tells you the gradient as you move along each section.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Last night I did the 10 x 90 seconds @ Vo2 session. Found it very hard the first two reps, as in the legs just struggled and I wondered if I'd even complete the session. But by the 3rd my legs woke up and I settled into quite nicely actually.

Should I be doing more than just an easy warm-up, for example add a few strides to wake the legs up, or is it just all part of doing a session? Would be interested to hear what other people do..

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Last night I did the 10 x 90 seconds @ Vo2 session. Found it very hard the first two reps, as in the legs just struggled and I wondered if I'd even complete the session. But by the 3rd my legs woke up and I settled into quite nicely actually.

Should I be doing more than just an easy warm-up, for example add a few strides to wake the legs up, or is it just all part of doing a session? Would be interested to hear what other people do..

I normally just do a few miles easy then into the session, I know at this stage the first rep will always be toughish but I get into it after that. Some do strides to wake the body up to faster running also.

OOnegative wrote:
    I normally just do a few miles easy then into the session, I know at this stage the first rep will always be toughish but I get into it after that. Some do strides to wake the body up to faster running also.

Ok, sounds like it's normal and I need to be less dramatic :p
    Might try a few strides next time though just to see if it makes any difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

ReeReeG wrote:

Definitely not uncommon to struggle for the first couple. I'm the same, depending on the type of session. I think AMK experiences the same. Some people do full warmup, Drills and Strides. I don't have time so just do a couple of miles warmup.

Definitely not uncommon to struggle for the first couple. I'm the same, depending on the type of session. I think AMK experiences the same. Some people do full warmup, Drills and Strides. I don't have time so just do a couple of miles warmup.

Well there's certainly some comfort in knowing runners of your standards experience the same :)

I was going to ask the very same question ahead of my 25 min tempo run on Sat.

I would rather do a couple of miles either side as a warm up/cool down.

I would rather do a couple of miles either side as a warm up/cool down.

I've been fine with the couple easy miles for tempo and threshold though tbh, its the shorter sharper sessions (like CV and Vo2 ones) where I've noticed my legs aren't quite ready in the first reps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

coogy wrote:

I'd rarely go straight headlong into a tempo without a couple of miles warmup first.

I'd rarely go straight headlong into a tempo without a couple of miles warmup first.

+1, same as, two miles warm up then into faster stuff.

I've been fine with the couple easy miles for tempo and threshold though tbh, its the shorter sharper sessions (like CV and Vo2 ones) where I've noticed my legs aren't quite ready in the first reps.

It's a bit of a shock to the lungs, as well. There's something on this in Faster Road Running. I think it basically suggests doing strides, but I'll have a goo tonight and see what it says exactly.

Huzzah! wrote: »
    It's a bit of a shock to the lungs, as well. There's something on this in Faster Road Running. I think it basically suggests doing strides, but I'll have a goo tonight and see what it says exactly.

I checked and the suggestions aren't too earth shattering:

For LT runs (so, I guess CV and slower?), add a few strides at the end of your warm up - no more than two or three.

For V02 max runs, the suggestion is a bit more detailed, for the last few minutes of your warm up, progressively increase your pace to LT pace, then do some drills and stretching (I wouldn't stretch at this point in a run, personally) and then do three to six strides. I was reading this thinking I'd never do this as a warm up, but it's pretty much spot on what we do for club sessions, apart from the stretching.

Huzzah! wrote:
    For V02 max runs, the suggestion is a bit more detailed, for the last few minutes of your warm up, progressively increase your pace to LT pace, then do some drills and stretching (I wouldn't stretch at this point in a run, personally) and then do three to six strides. I was reading this thinking I'd never do this as a warm up, but it's pretty much spot on what we do for club sessions, apart from the stretching.

Interesting. Yeah I don't do any drills on my solo runs cos I feel so self conscious (which is ridiculous I know), but yeah we do drills at club training too.

Thanks for looking this up! I do actually own the book but haven't read much of it...yet

• Advertisement

Interesting. Yeah I don't do any drills on my solo runs cos I feel so self conscious (which is ridiculous I know), but yeah we do drills at club training too.

Thanks for looking this up! I do actually own the book but haven't read much of it...yet

Yeah, I'd feel like a twonk, myself :o

Advertisement