Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

And the winner of dreamer of the year is... Part 2!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

1991 Honda Integra 1.6 Yes it is clean and all but €7,500 clean, I don't think so personally.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/1991-honda-integra/22706548

ZWZlNDY2OWJhNTYyYWJiODBmODlkYTAyODRlMTU2ZDUuXgvEi9w-gOA4NVIYgCBGaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzA1NjYzNzV8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg
    They're not as sought after as other Hondas but I don't think it's too wild really. Certainly worth 5-6k at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

millington wrote: »
    They're not as sought after as other Hondas but I don't think it's too wild really. Certainly worth 5-6k at least.

I "Politely" disagree with you

The car has quarter of a millions kilometers on it and it's 28 years old.
    Unless it was absolutely immaculate (which it isn't) it's not worth that money.

The wheel paint looks tired yet the body paint looks ok.
    Also the lights look cloudy.
    I wouldn't be going near it.

I suppose the target market is young lads/lasses from middle income families that have a few bob to sped on a sports car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Wish I kept my old one now.. it was a 5 door too...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

I suppose the target market is young lads/lasses from middle income families that have a few bob to sped on a sports car.

Yaa, I don't think you're the target market for that aul teg.

Despite the tired wheel paint and cloudy lights :pac:

Yaa, I don't think you're the target market for that aul teg.

Despite the tired wheel paint and cloudy lights :pac:

I'm not young enough! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

Obviously you aren't involved in the old Japanese car scene. If 130,000 miles, faded headlights and wheel paint is the most of your worries, then you're on to a winner :pac:

It is a bit strong if it's not a good example, but you wouldn't buy a similar era EF9 Civic for that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,701 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Making the mileage out to be massive is a bit unfair isn't it, that's only 9k km each year for 28 years. There's 5 year old cars with that mileage that you'd probably rather spend more money on :rolleyes:

millington wrote: »
    Obviously you aren't involved in the old Japanese car scene. If 130,000 miles, faded headlights and wheel paint is the most of your worries, then you're on to a winner :pac:

It is a bit strong if it's not a good example, but you wouldn't buy a similar era EF9 Civic for that price.

Let me put it this way.
    in 2006 (Pre Crash) I bought a 1998 Evo V for €13,950

8 year old jap import, it was in very good condition (not mint mind)

I cant remember the mileage but it wasn't high.
    I sold in 2008 just as the crash hit and got €9,000

This is what I base my valuation on, as do most people in their mid 30's that owned a jap sports car in the 00's.

I get that there's "A going price" but that doesn't mean that "the going price" isn't outrageous... which it clearly is!
    Making the mileage out to be massive is a bit unfair isn't it, that's only 9k km each year for 28 years. There's 5 year old cars with that mileage that you'd probably rather spend more money on :rolleyes:

mileage is mileage man!
    The more miles it has, the less it's worth

• Registered Users Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Let me put it this way.

This is what I base my valuation on, as do most people in their mid 30's that owned a jap sports car in the 00's.

Prices from 13 years ago have no bearing on the market at present.

Fact is revy fun cars that are getting close to vintage tax status are continuing to climb in value. Honda's and Toyota's in particular.

That integra being of the same era as ef9's and sir crx's should give an indication that it most likely won't be bought cheap. It's not as sought after as them but then again they're selling for upwards of 10k and beyond...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

mileage is mileage man!

Sorry, but in my opinion that's utter horsesh1t.

At this stage it come down to condition and level of maintenence.

• Advertisement

Prices from 13 years ago have no bearing on the market at present.

Fact is revy fun cars that are getting close to vintage tax status are continuing to climb in value. Honda's and Toyota's in particular.

That integra being of the same era as ef9's and sir crx's should give an indication that it most likely won't be bought cheap. It's not as sought after as them but then again they're selling for upwards of 10k and beyond...

I absolutely agree with you in that they are fun cars.
    The Evo was the best car I ever owned without a doubt.

However it's not even Jap cars approaching vintage status that are going for crazy money.
    2003-08 Evo VIII's and IX's are being advertised for stupid money.

There is an MR-FQ360 with 16,700 miles for sale for £36k. This is the price they were sold at new. (That's near €50k here including VRT, there is better newer cars out there for that money)

I think the price of Jap Sports cars here is very much driven by the price of cars in the UK (Which in turn drives up the Jap auction prices). It'll be interesting to see what happens post Brexit

I often think about jumping back into the Jap Car scene, however I look at the prices and I know it's not worth it.
    rizzodun wrote: »
    Sorry, but in my opinion that's utter horsesh1t.

At this stage it come down to condition and level of maintenance.

It's not really, there things that you can maintain and then there are things you can't. (or cant inspect when viewing a car)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I'd say the prices here are driven by the auction prices in Japan. Cars are hitting 25 years old so they be can imported into the US and here you've the likes of silvias,skylines etc hitting the 30 year mark for vintage tax

Let me put it this way.

8 year old jap import, it was in very good condition (not mint mind)

I cant remember the mileage but it wasn't high.
    I sold in 2008 just as the crash hit and got €9,000

I get that there's "A going price" but that doesn't mean that "the going price" isn't outrageous... which it clearly is!

mileage is mileage man!

There was also a time that a mark 1 mexico could be got for £50, doesn't mean it bares any sort of relevance to todays prices.

The reason prices are going so high is because you are dealing with finite resources - from the best period of cars: the golden era of the late 80s to early 00s (imo) where technology was good enough to create amazing cars, but also limited enough to keep them reliable and easy to keep.

Just because you don't see them as classics doesn't mean they aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,825 ✭✭✭CoBo55

This used to be a good thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Lads could you simply open a new thread to talk about this? It's getting a bit irritating opening the thread up and seeing just talk about vintage cars.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    This used to be a good thread...
    bear1 wrote: »
    Lads could you simply open a new thread to talk about this? It's getting a bit irritating opening the thread up and seeing just talk about vintage cars.

I apologise!

No more giving out from me! :o

For a while at least....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

10 year old diesel Ford Focus, near as makes no difference 200,000km on the clock, and if the ad is correct, no NCT. €6,650

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2009-ford-focus-tdci-5dr-hatchback-/19417540

• Registered Users Posts: 73,389 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It’s not just any Ford Focus though, it’s a pure basic model Ford Focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Not as bad as some others on here in fairness, but considering the engine swap I'd say they might be a little optimistic:

Toyota Altezza with SR20DET €8250

YTc4MWM0NjIzZTg5MjcyNzFjMWIzODNhNGE0MTc1NmZNxVGYxfWJ03b-Om9ck6plaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjc1Mzk5NjZ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I don't know I think that is pretty cool and excellent engine to boot. I think it's a fair price tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

How would you even NCT / Insure / Tax that with the modifications? Only 5000 miles a year since new, very low :confused:

How would you even NCT / Insure / Tax that with the modifications? Only 5000 miles a year since new, very low :confused:

NCT is just for road worthiness
    Tax is on emission

Insurance is the issue

Plenty ways to get insurance, a classic policy would be a nice cheap one, you'd nct it same way you nct any car, again tax is no change as its the same size engine as original (cc band as its pre 08).

Not low for a Japanese car really, lots never even see 60k miles over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,701 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

NCT is just for road worthiness
    Tax is on emission

Insurance is the issue

It's not really, it's a 2.0l on the book, and it's a 2.0l in the bay. The only difference, according to the logbook, is an engine number ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

farna_boy wrote: »
    Not as bad as some others on here in fairness, but considering the engine swap I'd say they might be a little optimistic:

Toyota Altezza with SR20DET €8250

YTc4MWM0NjIzZTg5MjcyNzFjMWIzODNhNGE0MTc1NmZNxVGYxfWJ03b-Om9ck6plaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjc1Mzk5NjZ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Decent Altezzas are making 5/6k all day long and their engines aren't powerful enough to pull your foreskin back, that's a really desirable engine in it, he's probably breaking even considering how much work has gone into it.

long and their engines aren't powerful enough to pull your foreskin back,

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 73,389 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That’s a big drawback.

:pac:

They're not that bad but great line either way :D:D

colm_mcm wrote: »
    That’s a big drawback.

Your foreskin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭PsychoPete