Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3 thread - V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭sk8board

It will, but you'd be better getting it done immediately, because any micro scratches on black can look worse under ceramic. Much less noticeable on white.

The ceramic is brilliant in my experience - however it won’t keep the black car looking any cleaner in manky Irish conditions necessarily - it looks great on wash day and otherwise makes dirt easier to shift with a quick power wash, and only do the full clean every 2nd or 3rd time. I use one of the 3-4 year ceramics now, I just don’t want the maintenance

Colour is such a personal choice, but I definitely wouldn’t buy a new black car again. It’s not worth the effort imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭digiman

Neworder79 wrote: »
    The Grey may as well be Black from a distance, but at least a more metallic finish. I've yet to see it close up.

Pity they discontinued Silver, it really showed off the cars lines and sleek design, contrasted well with the glass roof and white seats.

model3-silver.png"

Looks class, I would go blue if that colour is no longer available.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭dingledosser

kev22185 wrote: »
    Black Model 3 for me. I'll be taking the aero caps off, paint protecting and probably dechroming as soon after delivery as possible

Apparently you lose 10% range without the aero caps.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,878 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Apparently you lose 10% range without the aero caps.

That seems a gross overestimation to me. Maybe at sustained motorway speeds. But I refuse to believe it makes much of a difference at average speeds (in a WLTP / ETA cycle). Any links?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 xCiaránx

Judging by the range table on Teslike it's ~4.2%, which translates to a loss of range of about 14km at the lowest (SR) to 23km at the highest (LR RWD). Those Model 3 variants are only available off-menu (if we'll even see them over here at all) but the loss of range for the more common ones will fall somethere in between.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭hatrack

Neworder79 wrote: »
    The Grey may as well be Black from a distance, but at least a more metallic finish. I've yet to see it close up.

Pity they discontinued Silver, it really showed off the cars lines and sleek design, contrasted well with the glass roof and white seats.

model3-silver.png"

Silver with black alloys and chrome delete is absolutely gorgeous. Really wish they were still doing it.

Presume you could get a silver wrap done though - anyone know how much it costs to get a car wrapped here? Seems to be a big thing in the States.

Still no configurator anyway so all these is just a pipe dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭kev22185

unkel wrote: »
    That seems a gross overestimation to me. Maybe at sustained motorway speeds. But I refuse to believe it makes much of a difference at average speeds (in a WLTP / ETA cycle). Any links?

Yeah I did read there was a slight loss range alright, didn't read 10% anywhere though. Most of my driving will be in and around Leinster. I'll pop them back on for long distances but it seems weird to cover up the really attractive alloys underneath.

hatrack wrote: »
    Presume you could get a silver wrap done though - anyone know how much it costs to get a car wrapped here?

On a car the size of a Model 3 a professional wrap would cost about €1300-€1400

Get the car in black, immediately have it wrapped for less than what metallic paint + protective coating costs and when you come to sell it, you could remove the wrap to sell an unblemished car

Not a bad plan, hatrack :)

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭smokybacon

If govn incentives increase between order and delivery/ final payment time do you pay the lower price?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

In US at least you paid whatever the price was on the day of delivery. That was one of the reasons Tesla was pushing on the US deliveries on Q4/18 as the incentives in US were going down on Q1/19. It would make sense that the same was here as the grant only gets processed once the car has arrived just before you get the keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭smokybacon

samih wrote: »
    In US at least you paid whatever the price was on the day of delivery. That was one of the reasons Tesla was pushing on the US deliveries on Q4/18 as the incentives in US were going down on Q1/19. It would make sense that the same was here as the grant only gets processed once the car has arrived just before you get the keys.

Wondering about budget 2020 in October might be around time of delivery!

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

I was in Dublin today so I popped out to Sandyford to finally take a look at the Model 3. There were a few things I noticed about the car.

The steering wheel seemed quite small. Anyone else think that?I'm sure I'd get used to it very quickly if I had one though.

The other thing is the screen. I wasn't sure how I'd feel about it in person in terms of it being distracting or not, and thankfully it seemed like it isn't though sitting in the showroom can only tell you so much. It seemed like it should be angled more towards the driver ever so slightly. It felt like a bit of a stretch to get across to the far side of it. Other than that though, the graphics are top notch, crystal clear, no lag. Exactly what you want.

Other than that, I absolutely need to drive it when they have a driving model.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭creedp

SaintsYB wrote: »
    I was in Dublin today so I popped out to Sandyford to finally take a look at the Model 3. There were a few things I noticed about the car.

The steering wheel seemed quite small. Anyone else think that?I'm sure I'd get used to it very quickly if I had one though.

The other thing is the screen. I wasn't sure how I'd feel about it in person in terms of it being distracting or not, and thankfully it seemed like it isn't though sitting in the showroom can only tell you so much. It seemed like it should be angled more towards the driver ever so slightly. It felt like a bit of a stretch to get across to the far side of it. Other than that though, the graphics are top notch, crystal clear, no lag. Exactly what you want.

Have to say the touch screen approach taken by Tesla for all major controls would make me thing twice about a Model 3. I'm sure it was designed with full autonomous driving in mind but that's a long way off at this point and I certainly would not be enthusiastic about having to use a touch screen for all controls while on the move.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭ted1

creedp wrote: »
    Have to say the touch screen approach taken by Tesla for all major controls would make me thing twice about a Model 3. I'm sure it was designed with full autonomous driving in mind but that's a long way off at this point and I certainly would not be enthusiastic about having to use a touch screen for all controls while on the move.

Is there controls on the steering wheel ?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

ted1 wrote: »
    Is there controls on the steering wheel ?

There are two scroll-wheel buttons on the steering wheel, and they have different functions depending on what mode the car is in.

https://interestingengineering.com/tesla-moves-autopilot-controls-to-steering-wheel-for-model-3-units

There is also voice control for drivers commands and automatic controls for other functions (lights, wipers) so the number of screen clicks is reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭dingledosser

Having driven it, I can tell you you get used to the screen very quickly, it’s not a distraction at all.
    And the wheel is fine, no different to the wheel in my Honda.
    SaintsYB wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭digiman

Do Tesla take a trade-in?

Anyone know how they value your car compared to other dealers?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

digiman wrote: »
    Do Tesla take a trade-in?

Anyone know how they value your car compared to other dealers?

Same as every other dealer. They take the details and send them out to small dealers that have agreed to be in their mailing list. They come back with prices that they will offer for your car.

What I’m not sure of if, you trade in directly to Tesla or if you do the deal separately with the third party garage.

kceire wrote: »
    Same as every other dealer. They take the details and send them out to small dealers that have agreed to be in their mailing list. They come back with prices that they will offer for your car.

What I’m not sure of if, you trade in directly to Tesla or if you do the deal separately with the third party garage.

Tesla will put you in touch with a local dealer. At least that's what happened in my case. Might be different if you're trading in a Tesla.

• Advertisement

Sabre Man wrote: »
    Might be different if you're trading in a Tesla.

And here's hoping many, many owners of aging Model S will trade "up" to a brand new Model 3. I'd happily pick up one of their dumped cars for a very good price :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14 rfitzg

Hi all. Test drove the new Model S today in Sandyford and had a sit into the left hand drive sample Model 3. First impressions are beautiful car, gorgeous lines and stunning in red.

The panoramic roof is excellent but man is this car small! Maybe this was just my perception as it was parked between a Model X and S and I’m 1.98m or 6’5” tall. I tried to sit into it but struggled to fit even after moving steering column and seat. I’m not fat either :)

Guess I’ll stick with my model S hunt! Just a word of warning if you’re a tall Tesla fan.

I really don't get that. My best mate is 6'4 and he fits fine in his Tesla Model 3 with a good bit of space to spare.

He struggled badly to get into my Porsche convertible though, which is not a problem at all for me (a bit under 6'2)

Maybe you have really short legs and a really long upper body or something? :)

I'm 6'5" and a little worried about the height thing myself, I'll have to call out the Sandyford soon and have a sit.

I will say, that 3/S comparison seems to be the opposite of the opinions I've seen online of taller people liking the 3 more. Here's a direct comparison from another 6'5" human. I can definitely see how not having the bottom corner of the longer S screen around your knee area would be better.

unkel wrote: »
    I really don't get that. My best mate is 6'4 and he fits fine in his Tesla Model 3 with a good bit of space to spare.

He struggled badly to get into my Porsche convertible though, which is not a problem at all for me (a bit under 6'2)

Maybe you have really short legs and a really long upper body or something? :)

Ha ha I assure you unkel, I’m a perfectly average freak of nature!! :)

To be fair I’m going to try the M3 right hand drive as soon as it’s available. Maybe it was just the way it was set in the showroom. I found my thighs were squeezed under the steering wheel when getting in. Once I was in it wasn’t too bad but did feel a bit too close to the roof. This is just my opinion guys. HTH

rfitzg wrote: »
    Ha ha I assure you unkel, I’m a perfectly average freak of nature!! :)

To be fair I’m going to try the M3 right hand drive as soon as it’s available. Maybe it was just the way it was set in the showroom. I found my thighs were squeezed under the steering wheel when getting in. Once I was in it wasn’t too bad but did feel a bit too close to the roof. This is just my opinion guys. HTH

Hmm. All these years I’ve been lying to myself! Just checked and 1.98m is actually 6’6” so I am even taller again! I guess that extra inch makes all the difference! :)

rfitzg wrote: »
    Test drove the new Model S

What do you mean by "new Model S"? Have they got the Raven spec Model S already?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ainsyjnr

what do you reckon?
    a. sr+, paint, wheels, fsd or
    b. lr, black.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Sat in the model 3 in Sandyford today. It’s pretty nice. Think I have the missus sold on it when she saw the shopping bag hooks in the front boot :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement