Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesla Model 3 thread - V2.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

vicM wrote: »
    Thought tesla use Google maps embedded in their satnav, or is the model 3 different

They do, but they only use google tiles and navigation is done by them to favour routes with super chargers.

The fact they don't have Apple CarPlay or Android Auto is pretty annoying, competitors or not. Pretty much all the old traditional manufacturers have embraced it. Usually it's harder to get the old dogs to do the new tricks.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭zep

They do, but they only use google tiles and navigation is done by them to favour routes with super chargers.

The fact they don't have Apple CarPlay or Android Auto is pretty annoying, competitors or not. Pretty much all the old traditional manufacturers have embraced it. Usually it's harder to get the old dogs to do the new tricks.

The model S nav is perfect and does not favor supercharger routes, I think there may be a reduced function in the 3 if you don't opt for premium. I don't see a need for carplay or Android auto, again that's the model S. Tesla own integrated systems are more than sufficient

kuro68k wrote: »
    Am I the only one who found the Model 3 to be very small? I really had to swing down to get in, and getting out was a pain as the roof was low and I had to haul myself up.

Lack of Android Auto is disappointing too, the Tesla nav system isn't in the same league as Google Maps or Waze.

Using Tesla nav for months now and don't have any issues, it's Google maps after all, on occasion I've opened maps on phone to compare, no difference. BTW what do you want your car nav to do? A to B is pretty sufficient 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

zep wrote: »
    The model S nav is perfect and does not favor supercharger routes, I think there may be a reduced function in the 3 if you don't opt for premium. I don't see a need for carplay or Android auto, again that's the model S. Tesla own integrated systems are more than sufficient

It does favour superchargers if charging is required to reach your destination.

One time I was in Navan and needed to go to Ballacolla, but I didn't have enough charge. Instead of suggesting the local fast charger it wanted me to go to Castlebellingham.

However, once you have used other chargers they will show up on your map, but superchargers will still be prioritized.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I didn't say it wasn't perfect, but it's obvious there's a use for other apps, Waze is much better (even though it's owned by Google) at detecting slow downs, crashes, speed traps that'll cause idiot drivers to slow down etc. Maybe favour was the wrong term here. Whilst it may not favour them (100% of the time) it has functionality built in to include charger stops - if needed - which regular Google Maps app doesn't do yet.

It's also well known that Google do deals with people for maps for 5-10 years then they want more money than what the customer (Tesla/Apple etc) are willing to pay, then you get something crap like Apple Maps. Imagine this happens with Tesla? Wouldn't it be nice if Android Auto/Apple CarPlay are options so you could get back Google Maps?

This is nothing to do with sufficiency, more about choice. Say my goal was to buy an electric car, the Zoe is sufficient to achieve that goal, so perhaps the Ioniq/Leaf/Model3/ModelS/Kona/Niro/i3/etc. are not needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭hatrack

First sizeable batch of RHD VINs registered today so production likely starting in the coming days for the UK orders.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

You still get Google maps with a non-premium option, the only difference is the image is the map view as the satellite view is reserved for the premium option

slave1 wrote: »
    You still get Google maps with a non-premium option, the only difference is the image is the map view as the satellite view is reserved for the premium option

Ah right cheers, only a minor limitation so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭username?!

Ah right cheers, only a minor limitation so

Funnily enough I prefer the map view over satellite.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭caster

slave1 wrote: »

Also missing Live Traffic info:

https://www.xautoworld.com/tesla/model3-standard-range-plus/

Though it does sounds like the routing may still take account of traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭smokybacon

Hi. As a recent model 3 deposit holder (black+black sr+ 19) do people have ideas yet on the home chargers? Ta

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭jusmeig

smokybacon wrote: »
    Hi. As a recent model 3 deposit holder (black+black sr+ 19) do people have ideas yet on the home chargers? Ta

Any charger will do, I went for a Zappi and it will do my Model 3 when I finally take the plunge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

smokybacon wrote: »

It depends on what features you want and what budget you have.

Ultimately they will all charge the car the same as long as you ensure you get a 32A charge point.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭smokybacon

Thanks kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

Over 3500 orders placed in the UK so far.

Going to be busy with deliveries.

AidenL wrote: »
    Over 3500 orders placed in the UK so far.

Going to be busy with deliveries.

Where are these numbers coming from?

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

jusmeig wrote: »
    Where are these numbers coming from?

Customer VIN number tracker on a UK Tesla forum.

Delivery August / September for current orders UK guys are saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭September1

AidenL wrote: »
    Delivery August / September for current orders UK guys are saying.

I would guess that would be earliest delivery for Ireland then when our ordering opens up.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭BobbyBingo

September1 wrote: »
    I would guess that would be earliest delivery for Ireland then when our ordering opens up.

Thursday, would be my guess..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭jimmyging

BobbyBingo wrote: »
    Thursday, would be my guess..

Really ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kuro68k

Presumably Ireland will get the recent $400 price bump, and more expensive "Fake Self Driving".

The $35k Model 3 is officially cancelled now, the cheapest model even in the US, only available "off menu", is over that price. Cheapest model in the UK is £44k before grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭dingledosser

I got to test drive a Model 3 today. Just magic, an absolute joy to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭jfk75

Any info from the showroom on opening up the configuration website?

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭dingledosser

No, I'm in San Jose, I drove one over here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,648 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Presumably Ireland will get the recent $400 price bump, and more expensive "Fake Self Driving".

The $35k Model 3 is officially cancelled now, the cheapest model even in the US, only available "off menu", is over that price. Cheapest model in the UK is £44k before grant.

Not Cancelled , just increased to $34k or 34.4 stop posting fake news.

Which when you take into consideration inflation and duty from trumps trade war isn’t to bad.

Where, in Ireland?
    My own fail edit...I've read the rest of the thread!!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kuro68k

ted1 wrote: »
    Not Cancelled , just increased to $34k or 34.4 stop posting fake news.

Which when you take into consideration inflation and duty from trumps trade war isn’t to bad.

A) You can't buy it in Europe

B) It's not $35k any more

C) Even in the US they try really, really hard not to sell you one

D) If you do manage to buy one you just get an SR+ with some stuff disabled in software, i.e. they aren't actually making the $35k model

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,209 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

A) You can't buy it in Europe

B) It's not $35k any more

C) Even in the US they try really, really hard not to sell you one

D) If you do manage to buy one you just get an SR+ with some stuff disabled in software, i.e. they aren't actually making the $35k model
    There was never going to be a $35k car in europe.
    It was never offered or announced,

What was offered was a uk GBP price based on an exchange rate of 1.45. Now it is a couple of years later and the rate is 1.1-1.2, but using the exchange rate at the time of the announcement, the uk price is what was announced

Are you a begrudger for everything or just for things you can't afford?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭hatrack

I think if we don’t see the Irish configurator opening this week we’ll be looking at August / September deliveries.

The impression that I got from speaking with Tesla was that although our configurator was opening after the UK our deliveries would be in with theirs (which would make sense). If it doesn’t open this week it’s hard to see us getting anything from the first shipment (and given the smaller numbers I don’t expect multiple shipments).

Will be interesting to see the first proper batch for RHD VINs, the time between first large VIN batch for EU vehicles and delivery was about four weeks. If we’re to see June deliveries in UK you’d expect a few thousand RHD VINs in the next few days.

• Advertisement

hatrack wrote: »
    I think if we don’t see the Irish configurator opening this week we’ll be looking at August / September deliveries.

The impression that I got from speaking with Tesla was that although our configurator was opening after the UK our deliveries would be in with theirs (which would make sense). If it doesn’t open this week it’s hard to see us getting anything from the first shipment (and given the smaller numbers I don’t expect multiple shipments).

Will be interesting to see the first proper batch for RHD VINs, the time between first large VIN batch for EU vehicles and delivery was about four weeks. If we’re to see June deliveries in UK you’d expect a few thousand RHD VINs in the next few days.

Might not be a bad thing to miss the first batch of RHD Model 3's. There has been a pattern of consistent improvement in terms of quality as Tesla iterate!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement