Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why did you decide to be vegan (Mod Warning)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

auspicious wrote: »
    I don't know how you got that from what I posted. I was actually saying the opposite. If you can't interpret simple english then there is no point is there? And the fact that you got a like says it all.

I think the poster was commenting on what was referred to as 'baiting' There was indeed some very evident baiting aimed at shutting down discussion. Primarily from two posters on here who have done their very best to wreck the thread. But I digress.

As to your main point, my response relates to the production of food of all kinds and I'd suggest there are at least some areas of commonality. For humans to prosper - we use available resources and part of that involves the exploitation of the world around us. And whether animal or vegetable - it all involves sentient life. Nothing humans do is without an impact. And yes food production should aim to minimise environmental impacts and to maximise animal welfare. I don't know anyone who argues with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Just add them to the ignore list, it's easier. They operate under the veneer of having an honest discourse but are passive aggressive and often take odd potshots, subsequently editing their posts after the fact.

I added gozunda to my ignore list well over a year ago, I can still see he's being quoted though. There's no point in any discussion as it's just responding to cherry picked studies, many of which are behind a paywall so were obviously not even read by the person posting them (not that they'd have the wherewithal to actually analyse them).

I'd understand their modus operandi a bit more if it was just a random injection into a thread born out of boredom just to get a rise out of 'them noisy vegans', but this has literally been going on years and it boggles the mind. For the several thousand posts they've collectively made in this forum, I can't imagine they've changed one opinion on anything. Great use of time.

Chesus. This thread takes the proverbial bicuit with the old bs personal attacks on posters.

OK. For starters everything in your post is total LIES. "several thousand posts" Seriously Who the fek do yo think your kidding with that bs?. Nope - not even close.
    Id' say that your mixing up your own comments up with fantasy sports and whatever else your into tbh.

This a discussion. If you really don't wish to discuss the topic then dont. But as you say yourself don't act righteous whilst being "passive aggressive" whilst taking " odd potshots". Because that's exactly what you've done.

Such comments really does no-one any favours tbf.

PS. Btw the only ones calling people here "them noisy vegans" is you. Perhaps you should start with your apology there.

Edit: corrected sp etc if that's OK...

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

I don't know how you got that from what I posted. I was actually saying the opposite. If you can't interpret simple english then there is no point is there? And the fact that you got a like says it all.

Here we go again ...I disagreed with you and you lose the plot.its you who has the problem.
    Your resort to insulting me says a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,885 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

richie123 wrote: »
    Here we go again ...I disagreed with you and you lose the plot.its you who has the problem.
    Your resort to insulting me says a lot.

In fairness you came out with this zinger early in the thread
    Vegans don't know what they want.
    There clueless and live very sheltered lives.
    Very hypocritical too.

In a vegan forum.

• Advertisement

In fairness you came out with this zinger early in the thread

In a vegan forum.

Yes I acknowledged that I restated what I meant to say and apologized.i have had worse said to me.

Why did I decide to be vegan?

Not strongly for health reasons as the dietary advice to consume wholefoods and hardly any meat and dairy, ideally no processed pork whatsoever, apply to meat eaters and vegans. Maybe if it was for health reasons I would be in better shape!

It's a pretty simple reason; paying for an animal to be slaughtered and butchered is horrific. I have always had a dog growing up, grandparents were dairy and sheep farmers (now just beef), but I never didn't like the animals - I would have always considered myself an animal lover. There is a cognitive dissonance between calling oneself an animal lover yet eating them. I'm not sure what eventually triggered it for me, but I cannot reconcile being an animal lover and eating them at the same time.

Pigs are incredibly smart animals and very cute, harmless creatures. Similarly, I remember feeding the little lambs as I held them in my arms, so cute and beautiful. Completely harmless and affectionate, sentient creatures. It sickens me that people would have them slaughtered just to eat them.

I'm I allowed respond to this post or will I be abused again?

In fairness you came out with this zinger early in the thread In a vegan forum.

In fairness Thelonious you came out with "this zinger ' ust five posts in.
    Just another farmer who can't deal with the fact that people don't want to eat their products.

Even though there was no anti-anything comment up till that point. I'd say it would be fair to say the thread went downhill from there.

And that to a young and new poster no less. At least the other poster above you quoted gave an apology....

And you say you're not even vegan?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 meggiemegmeg

I'm not quite sure you are a vegan if your only other post on boards is going on about all the chocolate you have in your press

I’m quite sure I’m vegan🀓
    Check out that chocolate. It’s gorgeous.

I’m quite sure I’m vegan🀓
    Check out that chocolate. It’s gorgeous.

Hi meggiemegmeg welcome to boards

I will. Looking for some pressies for Christmas :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

From the charter:
    No personal abuse. "Attack the post, not the poster". Refrain from abusive labelling like militant, extremist, elitist, propagandist, hippie etc

A lot of this has happened in this thread. Please refrain from it any further.

Why did I decide to be vegan?

Not strongly for health reasons as the dietary advice to consume wholefoods and hardly any meat and dairy, ideally no processed pork whatsoever, apply to meat eaters and vegans. Maybe if it was for health reasons I would be in better shape!

It's a pretty simple reason; paying for an animal to be slaughtered and butchered is horrific. I have always had a dog growing up, grandparents were dairy and sheep farmers (now just beef), but I never didn't like the animals - I would have always considered myself an animal lover. There is a cognitive dissonance between calling oneself an animal lover yet eating them. I'm not sure what eventually triggered it for me, but I cannot reconcile being an animal lover and eating them at the same time.

Pigs are incredibly smart animals and very cute, harmless creatures. Similarly, I remember feeding the little lambs as I held them in my arms, so cute and beautiful. Completely harmless and affectionate, sentient creatures. It sickens me that people would have them slaughtered just to eat them.

I strongly agree about the wholefoods. Way too much highly processed muck out there being flogged as 'good' for something when its clearly not. Btw the correct term I believe is 'omnivore. I know of no one who eats a solely meat based diet.

Appreciate your opinion - but no slaughter does not have to be 'horrific' - where its properly done and managed. And thats the norm not the exception here imo.

And i agree young animals are 'cute. Biologically all young animals have charactertics which make them so. Billy the lamb will grow up to Billy the ram and I can tell you generally won't get to hold him in your arms and call him cute and cuddley . Ditto Brian the bull and Pete the pig. Are there some exceptions to this rule? Yes there are.

Imo there is absolutely no such thing as 'cognitive dissonance' in relatiion to farm animals. It seems a a term much loved of certain youtube campaigners who make money out of flogging higly edited anti-farming videos. The animals we farm are of specific breeds for a whole range of reasons. We don't generally farm and eat carnivorous species mainly due to feed conversion and biohealth related issues. And yes knowledge and care of the needs and welfare of animals is absolutley necessary in farming

It is notable that few advocates ever mention wild animals and other organisms routinely killed in cultivation. I get it that insects etc aren't as cute and campaigners can't picket wheat fields where animals are macerated in combines. But that said its a notable absence in these campaigns. These too are routinely slaughtered so humans can eat.

Having pets such as a cats or dogs who have a long history as domestic pets is certainly not the same as farming herbivorous herd animals which are managed, fed and looked after to provide food for humans. Even if you wanted to keep billy the bull as a pet - you would face some insurmountable problems doing so in your average house. Not least the issue of being a huge size and sex. Something that the sanctuary which took in benjy the 'gay' bull had to deal with and which led them to castrate him after he was moved there. Is benjy happy now as a 'gay bullock? Is he aware that this was done? Did he 'consent'? Is he happy? All interesting questions imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭KennisWhale

gozunda wrote: »
    I strongly agree about the wholefoods. Way too much highly processed muck out there being flogged as 'good' for something when its clearly not. Btw the correct term I believe is 'omnivore. I know of no one who eats a solely meat based diet.

Appreciate your opinion - but no slaughter does not have to be 'horrific' - where its properly done and managed. And thats the norm not the exception here imo.

And i agree young animals are 'cute. Biologically all young animals have charactertics which make them so. Billy the lamb will grow up to Billy the ram and I can tell you generally won't get to hold him in your arms and call him cute and cuddley . Ditto Brian the bull and Pete the pig. Are there some exceptions to this rule? Yes there are.

Imo there is absolutely no such thing as 'cognitive dissonance' in relatiion to farm animals. It seems a a term much loved of certain youtube campaigners who make money out of flogging higly edited anti-farming videos. The animals we farm are of specific breeds for a whole range of reasons. We don't generally farm and eat carnivorous species mainly due to feed conversion and biohealth related issues. And yes knowledge and care of the needs and welfare of animals is absolutley necessary in farming

It is notable that few advocates ever mention wild animals and other organisms routinely killed in cultivation. I get it that insects etc aren't as cute and campaigners can't picket wheat fields where animals are macerated in combines. But that said its a notable absence in these campaigns. These too are routinely slaughtered so humans can eat.

Having pets such as a cats or dogs who have a long history as domestic pets is certainly not the same as farming herbivorous herd animals which are managed, fed and looked after to provide food for humans. Even if you wanted to keep billy the bull as a pet - you would face some insurmountable problems doing so in your average house. Not least the issue of being a huge size and sex. Something that the sanctuary which took in benjy the 'gay' bull had to deal with and which led them to castrate him after he was moved there. Is benjy happy now as a 'gay bullock? Is he aware that this was done? Did he 'consent'? Is he happy? All interesting questions imo.

The ramblings of a sociopath.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Donkeys years ago ( if Im allowed say that phrase on a vegans forum) someone got to me in school and taught me about free range chicken farms and the cruelty of the lives of battery chickens. I have never eaten a battery chicken egg since.

I also read that frighteningly worrying McDonalds production book ( out the same time as Fast Food Nation) and have barely only eaten McDonalds spiral chips since - never their ‘burgers’. Apparently their potatoes will kill me of cancer too - but I’m able to look past that on the odd occasions I can no longer live without chips.

OP thou I’m not a vegan as I havn’t the patience nor time to limit my life to vegetables and sprouts I do keep an eye out for ethical, organic and freerange producers preferably & if financially possible from small or local businesses. For me, I try and let this lead my purchasing choices.

I have a few very hippy and happy vegan friends none of whom work or have full time jobs and all of whom have extremely copious amounts of disposable cash. They get boxes of organic veg delivered weekly and spend hours brewing & stewing them up in morsels of tasty dinners. They all say its for health reasons and animal welfare - but they all guzzle wine and spirits like its going out of fashion, enjoy their recreational drugs and dress in leather shoes, wear letherjackets and have high end (leather) fashion handbags from BT’s and other. I say nothing as they often feed me and I like their company!

PS I bought vegan ‘icecream’ (Lidl) and vegan ‘chocolate’ for my hrdline vegan friend as a drop by gift in return for (vegetables) dinner and we both agreed they tasted like muck and I would bring Ben &Jerrys and proper chocolate next time!! Seems all vegans are not equal !! But then as O’Casey said, Too Much Sacrifice Can Make A Stone of the Heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Shortsighted stereotypical meanderings are pretty stereotypical here actually. Note to (your)self, must do better.

Shortsighted stereotypical meanderings are pretty stereotypical here actually. Note to (your)self, must do better.

Have you anything constructive to say ?

You have no answer and no reply to this post.so just throw out an insult like a child would throw it's toys from a pram.
    Donald trump would be proud.insult,shut down delete or walk out.

Donkeys years ago ( if Im allowed say that phrase on a vegans forum) someone got to me in school and taught me about free range chicken farms and the cruelty of the lives of battery chickens. I have never eaten a battery chicken egg since.

Intentionally inflammatory.

I also read that frighteningly worrying McDonalds production book ( out the same time as Fast Food Nation) and have barely only eaten McDonalds spiral chips since - never their ‘burgers’. Apparently their potatoes will kill me of cancer too - but I’m able to look past that on the odd occasions I can no longer live without chips.

Not sure of the relevance but anyway

OP thou I’m not a vegan as I havn’t the patience nor time to limit my life to vegetables and sprouts I do keep an eye out for ethical, organic and freerange producers preferably & if financially possible from small or local businesses. For me, I try and let this lead my purchasing choices.

Again intentionally inflammatory, why specifically call out sprouts or mention 'limiting my life'.

I have a few very hippy and happy vegan friends none of whom work or have time jobs and all of whom have extremely copious amounts of disposable cash. They get boxes of organic veg delivered weekly and spend hours brewing & stewing them up in morsels of tasty dinners. They all say its for health reasons and animal welfare - but they all guzzle wine and spirits like its going out of fashion, enjoy their recreational drugs and dress in leather shoes, wear letherjackets and have high end (leather) fashion handbags from BT’s and other. I say nothing as they often feed me and I like their company!

An anecdotal story about people who buy animal products and are therefore not vegan, nice.

PS I bought vegan ‘icecream’ (Lidl) and vegan ‘chocolate’ for my hrdline vegan friend as a drop by gift in return for (vegetables) dinner and we both agreed they tasted like muck and I would bring Ben &Jerrys and proper chocolate next time!! Seems all vegans are not equal !! But then as O’Casey said, Too Much Sacrifice Can Make A Stone of the Heart.

Another anecdotal story about, you guessed it, someone who isn't vegan

“And when all was said and done the lies a fellow told about himself couldn't probably hold a proverbial candle to the wholesale whoppers other fellows coined about him.”

― James Joyce
    You have no answer and no reply to this post.so just throw out an insult like a child would throw it's toys from a pram.

Some posts aren't worthy of response, to highlight this please see above; this is applicable to just about every post made by the band of Merry Men who thank each others efforts every time without fail. I will leave the definition of veganism at the bottom of this post, it might help you all understand a bit better.

Veganism is the practice of abstaining from the use of animal products, particularly in diet, and an associated philosophy that rejects the commodity status of animals.

You were not wrong in your previous post. It looks like the discussion has been dragged back into the sewer or thereabouts...

30ghuj.jpg

Jive - you missed the point of the thread - the queation posed to each reaponder is why are they a vegan. They don’t necessarily subscribe to what your motivations for being a vegan are, nor necessarily to the definition you gave of what a vegan was or what that motivator was or shoupd be for everyone that calls themselves vegan.
    I personally know vegans that use beauty products made from natural bee products because they don’t have an issue with that although technically its not properly vegan then, similarilary I know many vegans who could consider themselves proud vegans but who wear clothes and shoes made of animal products, and some who use veganism as a dietary aid but happily wear leather boots, have a leather steeringwheel and interiors on the audi etc.

Everyone is different. Hence the thread question and commonsense agreements.

• Advertisement

jive wrote: »
    “And when all was said and done the lies a fellow told about himself couldn't probably hold a proverbial candle to the wholesale whoppers other fellows coined about him.”

― James Joyce

Some posts aren't worthy of response, to highlight this please see above; this is applicable to just about every post made by the band of Merry Men who thank each others efforts every time without fail. I will leave the definition of veganism at the bottom of this post, it might help you all understand a bit better.

Veganism is the practice of abstaining from the use of animal products, particularly in diet, and an associated philosophy that rejects the commodity status of animals.

Hmm not worthy of response because you don't agree with it and you don't like that.
    What ever about agreeing to disagree.
    Once again ..
    Shout down shut down delete call in the moderators shut them down rather than rational discussion.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again,Donald trump would be proud.

Jive - you missed the point of the thread - the queation posed to each reaponder is why are they a vegan. They don’t necessarily subscribe to what your motivations for being a vegan are, nor necessarily to the definition you gave of what a vegan was or what that motivator was or shoupd be for everyone that calls themselves vegan.
    I personally know vegans that use beauty products made from natural bee products because they don’t have an issue with that although technically its not properly vegan then, similarilary I know many vegans who could consider themselves proud vegans but who wear clothes and shoes made of animal products, and some who use veganism as a dietary aid but happily wear leather boots, have a leather steeringwheel and interiors on the audi etc.

Everyone is different. Hence the thread question and commonsense agreements.

Cool man, from one non-meat eating vegan to a meat eating vegan, we’ll have to agree to disagree on the definition of what veganism actually is.

Hmm not worthy of response because you don't agree with it and you don't like that.What ever about agreeing to disagree. Once again ..
    Shout down shut down delete call in the moderators shut them down rather than rational discussion.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again,Donald trump would be proud.

Tbf richie - I've no problem with anyone disagreeing with anything said on boards and ditto discuss any pov. But those that claim something is not worthy of a response and yet resort to personal abuse by reply is by any descriptor - hypocritical in itself. Neither is it discussion.

Cool man, from one non-meat eating vegan to a meat eating vegan, we’ll have to agree to disagree on the definition of what veganism actually is.

!!!! thanks!! I did say I wasn’t a vegan but that I did have ethical considerations on whether I ate certain animal/food products, or which ones I chose to eat! It dosn’t make me a vegan - but I have a fair amount of non meat eater friends whose animal ethical considerations don’t extend beyond their leather belt & stomach! As we may agree - even within ‘real’ vegans there is a lot of difference in why, what and whatnot.

Peace!! Have a nice windy day! Wouldn’t like to be a bird out in that!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

con747 wrote: »
    So why don't you and the rest feck off back to the farmers forums and leave the people here who clearly want nothing to do with you alone then lads?

I take it you don't go into shops selling meat products.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I said no personal attacks
    I take it you don't go into shops selling meat products.

I said no personal attacks
    gozunda wrote: »

Please try to keep on topic with the thread, someone is looking to engage about why they've made their decisions, not challenge them, nor expand on the alternative to them.

I have a few very hippy and happy vegan friends none of whom work or have full time jobs and all of whom have extremely copious amounts of disposable cash. They get boxes of organic veg delivered weekly and spend hours brewing & stewing them up in morsels of tasty dinners. They all say its for health reasons and animal welfare - but they all guzzle wine and spirits like its going out of fashion, enjoy their recreational drugs and dress in leather shoes, wear letherjackets and have high end (leather) fashion handbags from BT’s and other. I say nothing as they often feed me and I like their company!

I'm not too sure what you are contributing to this discussion if you find the subject matter to be restrictive.

― James Joyce

Don't get too caught up on a turn of phrase. If you feel a contribution to the discussion is unsuitable, you can either gloss over it, or report it if it's considered excessive.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭EvanFahy

Today I had the privilege of spending the day on a large dairy farm 300+ LU which is run by a young man who is working with Teagasc to make his entire farm very close to carbon neutral in five short years.

Found it very interesting.

*This information seems relevant to the topic of the thread as the damaging effects of agriculture on the environment is often a contributing factor when deciding between being an omnivore or a herbivore.

EvanFahy wrote: »
    Today I had the privilege of spending the day on a large dairy farm 300+ LU which is run by a young man who is working with Teagasc to make his entire farm very close to carbon neutral in five short years.

What about the methane farts!?
    What vegetables did you have for lunch?
    How is s/he going to do this given that cows are
    alleged
    to contribute more to climate warming than the aviation industry?
    Has being a farmer put the farmer off eating meat?

EvanFahy wrote: »

What about the methane farts!?
    What vegetables did you have for lunch? Or were they all out!?

There is a general ettiquette on boards with regards to keeping on topic. Please keep your comments relevant to the discussion.

Anyone else who seeks to establish tangents from here on, will find themselves infracted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭con747

I'm glad to see moderation on this thread, so I wish you all well and hope you all can live with each other's beliefs and respect each others way of life. If I offended anyone it was not intentional or personal. So I'm signing out of the thread for good. :)

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement