Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why did you decide to be vegan (Mod Warning)

Options
  • 26-10-2020 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

If you are vegan and are reading this would you mind commenting on why you decided to become vegan?

Thanks

Dravokivich:
    Mod warning at post 162

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

It's a fundamental question you're asking and I'm sure if you read threads in this forum you'll have an understanding of the reasons why we are vegan.
    I came across street epistemology videos concerning animal rights and their basic logic which brought me to look at slaughterhouse footage. From here I made the connection that sentient life needs to be respected regardless of difference or value. I realised sentient life shouldn't suffer at my hand for an uneccessary purpose. My hand was my purchase power and hence the perpetuation of supply and demand and continued suffering and impinging of the basic right to life to beings that wanted to live. I found my taste pleasure was left wanting before my moral integrity.
    Since I have been introduced to a whole new style of cooking and flavours that I am simply in love with now. I enjoy my food more than ever with the huge bonus that I am minimising my impact on the planet.
    Nonhuman animals don't need to suffer needlessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭EvanFahy

Just curious what influenced their decision.
    I have nothing against vegans.

When you say suffering are you referring to the stunning of the animal, I remember reading that it makes them unconscious instantly like less than a second ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I kept putting it to the back of my head that the food on my plate was from a slaughtered animal. Always loved animals growing up so the idea of a slaughter house was disgusting to me.

Then I asked myself do I need this food to live a healthy life. Research shows no.

Logically it makes sense, and I'm now consistent with my ethical beliefs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Just another farmer who can't deal with the fact that people don't want to eat their products.

Just another farmer who can't deal with the fact that people don't want to eat their products.

We produce 600,000+ tons of beef every year. I think there's a high demand for our products:rolleyes:, I wasn't trying to insult any of ye I was just trying to gain a better understanding for myself.

Nice try tho:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭world class wreckin’ cru

EvanFahy wrote: »
    When you say suffering are you referring to the stunning of the animal, I remember reading that it makes them unconscious instantly like less than a second ?

What about what happens up to the point of actually being stunned? Doesn't the animal feel something beforehand having witnessed what happened to the ones in front of them in the line.

I've seen pigs panic, cry out in severe distress at what's about to happen.

FWIW I'm not vegan and I consume animal products, although not nearly as much as I used to.

What about what happens up to the point of actually being stunned? Doesn't the animal feel something beforehand having witnessed what happened to the ones in front of them in the line

In the majority of slaughterhouses, animals don't see the animal in front of them being slaughtered.

It may even be a regulation

Although maybe it happens in the poultry industry, I eat meat but not chicken as I don't agree with the conditions in large scale poultry operations.

All slaughterhouses have to have an independent vet on site for the hours it operates, the vet has the ability to stop the process whenever something occurs that isn't in line with best practices. slaughterhouses are tightly regulated

• Advertisement

The video plays on touch site.
    In this part 2 the floor is awash with blood in this high standard 'protein plant'. The smell permeates the air and animals in the holding pens aren't dumb.
    The operator explains, even with expected trading standards she has seen bad treatment of animals by farmers. At about 7 mins in they speak about a trailer of pigs which were brought in. When she opened the back the pigs were scrabbling over each other trying to get out. At slaughter they subsequently discovered one pig looked to be beaten black and blue. Beaten so badly that they had to throw away the carcass. When the farmer was questioned he said well it wouldn't load into the trailer.
    This is UK footage There are 212,000 farms in the UK.
    Cruelty happens.

I agree cruelty can happen, I recommend people buy from a farmer they trust, preferably visit the farm and have them processed at a local abattoir it may cost a bit more but its a price id be willing to pay to know where my food is coming from, who cared for the animals and in what conditions the animals were raised.

We produce 600,000+ tons of beef every year. I think there's a high demand for our products:rolleyes:, I wasn't trying to insult any of ye I was just trying to gain a better understanding for myself.

Nice try tho:D
    In the majority of slaughterhouses, animals don't see the animal in front of them being slaughtered.

It may even be a regulation

Although maybe it happens in the poultry industry, I eat meat but not chicken as I don't agree with the conditions in large scale poultry operations.

All slaughterhouses have to have an independent vet on site for the hours it operates, the vet has the ability to stop the process whenever something occurs that isn't in line with best practices. slaughterhouses are tightly regulated

Impressive learning ability there Evan. Are you AI ?

At 10.31 you - 'remember reading that it makes them unconscious instantly like less than a second'

at 13.59 - you know how much beef 'we' produce. You also know that over 90% of that is not for Irish consumption and is sent abroad for top dollar. On a side-note that would suggest that most of the beef consumed in Ireland is imported.

at 14.27 - you are now a fully fledged expert on slaughterhouse regulations.

Also as a very very new poster on the website you seem very comfortable and au fait with how everything works.

Have you had a previous username on the site ?

No, I'm 16 I used to visit this site as a guest for a year or two in order to gain a public perspective/insight on topics I would be interested in. But other than that no I've never had an account on here before.

Fair play at 16 buying your own tractor. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=115042232

For someone who disagrees with chicken farms you have a good idea what you are feeding them. Quote "Our current layer ration is as follows (in pounds):"

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=115024757

con747 wrote: »
    Fair play at 16 buying your own tractor.

For someone who disagrees with chicken farms you have a good idea what you are feeding them. Quote "Our current layer ration is as follows (in pounds):"

Tractor was technically purchased by my father sorry for not clarifying in the post.

That layer ration is from a booked called "Pastured poultry by Joel Salatin" a Christian, libertarian, environmentalist, capitalist, lunatic farmer

The chickens have unrestricted access to the outdoors and are moved onto a quarter acre of fresh grass every day where they eat bugs, critters, grass and have access to our non GMO locally produced feed.

I recommend you visit a commercial poultry farm and then re-read what i have written above and you'll come to the conclusion that ......... the chickens described above are livin the life:D

Nice try tho:rolleyes:

Tractor was technically purchased by my father sorry for not clarifying in the post.

That layer ration is from a booked called "Pastured poultry by Joel Salatin" a Christian, libertarian, environmentalist, capitalist, lunatic farmer

The chickens have unrestricted access to the outdoors and are moved onto a quarter acre of fresh grass every day where they eat bugs, critters, grass and have access to our non GMO locally produced feed.

I recommend you visit a commercial poultry farm and then re-read what i have written above and you'll come to the conclusion that ......... my chickens are livin the life:D

Nice try tho:rolleyes:

I'm not the one with the shovel.:)

con747 wrote: »
    I'm not the one with the shovel.:)

What's your objective here?

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

Vegans don't know what they want.
    There clueless and live very sheltered lives.
    Very hypocritical too.
    As all food destroys life in one way or another.
    Vegetables probably destroy the most..the problem is we can't see it but trust me a plough and a tiller macerating the soil kills thousands of creatures.
    We can't video that that though and put it up on YouTube.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

22.11 OP asks what makes people vegan

13.52 gets attacked for being "just another farmer who can't deal with the fact that people don't want to eat their products"

:rolleyes:

I wouldn't pay much attention evan. Pretty much how it frequently works. We have some posters who who seem to spend all their time attacking anyone who involved in Irish farming.

And there is that really odd obsession that beef is one of our top exports and ignoring that those exports help support the Irish economy. Or that over 90 of the beef eaten in Ireland is Irish against the fact that the very small % of beef which is imported (7.5% approx) here generally undergoes further processing by Irish companies before re-export / used in catering.

I get it that that some wish to only eat plants and synthesised foods. That's fine. But don't get this attacking ****e tbf.

Fair play to those who dont ...

richie123 wrote: »
    a plough and a tiller macerating the soil kills thousands of creatures.

Not to mention all of the Co2 that is released into the atmosphere which happens when the ground is bare and isn't covered by vegetation. i.e. ploughing and tilling for crops and vegetables

Another thing is that our topsoil's that we use for tillage and horticulture are being eroded every time the soil isn't covered.

What about all the toxic chemicals that are being sprayed in the fields where GMO crops and vegetables are being grown, this practice kills microbial life/organisms which cuts off the ability for that soil to then sequester carbon and greatly reduces the potential the soil has for future generations.

FACT: "Generating three centimeters of top soil takes 1,000 years, and if current rates of degradation continue all of the world's top soil could be gone within 60 years, a senior UN official said".

richie123 wrote: »
    Vegans don't know what they want.
    There clueless and live very sheltered lives.
    Very hypocritical too.
    As all food destroys life in one way or another.
    Vegetables probably destroy the most..the problem is we can't see it but trust me a plough and a tiller macerating the soil kills thousands of creatures.
    We can't video that that though and put it up on YouTube.

What about the feed that is grown to feed animals? Does that land not need to be ploughed?

What's the point in this thread apart from farmers wanting to take pot shots at people who don't eat their meat anyway?

What about the feed that is grown to feed animals? Does that land not need to be ploughed?

Cows can be 100% grass fed, they are herbivores.

Ever see the wildebeest in the Serengeti ?

Cows can be 100% grass fed, they are herbivores.

Ever see the wildebeest in the Serengeti ?

Are there any 100% grass fed in Ireland? And I've never heard of grass fed chickens or pigs. They must be fed some kind of crop that is grown for them.

Are there any 100% grass fed in Ireland? And I've never heard of 100 % grass fed chickens or pigs. They must be fed some kind of crop that is grown for them.

Chickens and pigs are omnivores while cows are herbivores

Yes there are cows in Ireland that just eat grass/vegetation

Chickens and pigs are omnivores while cows are herbivores

Yes there are cows in Ireland that just eat grass/vegetation

So chickens and pigs have crops grown for them, so do cows, millions of tonnes of feed are imported to feed these animals.
    But you're saying vegans are wrecking the place by having crops grown for them. The animals you eat are fed crops too.

What do you mean when you say cows eat grass/vegetation? What kind of vegetation? Crops like the evil vegans eat? I've never seen 100% grass fed beef for sale anywhere.

Well you see most of that which is fed to animals like chickens pets etc is the by-products and left overs of human food processing.
    86% of livestock feed is not suitable for human consumption. If not consumed by livestock, crop residues and by-products could quickly become an environmental burden as the human population grows and consumes more and more processed food. 

http://www.fao.org/ag/againfo/home/en/news_archive/2017_More_Fuel_for_the_Food_Feed.html

But Evan is correct in Ireland cattle are fed mainly a grass based diet.

So chickens and pigs have crops grown for them, so do cows, millions of tonnes of feed are imported to feed these animals. But you're saying vegans are wrecking the place by having crops grown for them. The animals you eat are fed crops too.What do you mean when you say cows eat grass/vegetation? What kind of vegetation? Crops like the evil vegans eat? I've never seen 100% grass fed beef for sale anywhere.

Wrong T. See above. This has been brought up many times before - and you know it.

And yes cattle are primarily grass fed in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

What's the point in this thread apart from farmers wanting to take pot shots at people who don't eat their meat anyway?

I'm not taking potshots and apologies if it came across that way.
    I'm just sharing an opinion.
    I'm not a hypocrite.
    Cows produce a ****load of methane and that's a massive problem.
    Vegans need to realize that there lifestyle is not exactly without it's problems too..
    To produce vegetables to replace an animal products..it would need to be done on a massive scale.
    That includes pesticides and fertilizer s at least to a minimum degree and anyone that says otherwise is being very disingenuous.
    It involves tilling ground which will release a lot of carbon not to mind the carbon released by emissions the machines doing so.
    The day the vegan brigade acknowledges this will be the day.
    Organic vegetable production will not feed 7 billion plus people.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement