Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do people love the 90s

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭pah

RINO87 wrote: »
    Tony Fentons Hotline. The 2fm beat on the streets!!

Someone earlier posted Steal my Sunshine by Len, a comment on youtube about that tune hits the nail on the head.
    "It seems the world was just one sun kissed pool party right up to sep 11 2001" The world has really been such a mess since, for many reasons.

I do feel that the 90's vibe carried on for me personally until then also as it was my first 2 years in college from school with a lot of the same friends, epic summer free gaffs and the J1 in California.

Sep 11 happened a few days after I got back with many of my friends still in the states. I was actually coming home from registering my GF for 3rd year in UCC when it started to break on the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

branie2 wrote: »
    I went abroad on holiday a few times in the 90s: France twice, England and Wales and Portugal.

As regards classing them as 'holidays' I don't think the middle two count tbh :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

dd973 wrote: »
    As regards classing them as 'holidays' I don't think the middle two count tbh :pac:

In Wales and England = Butlins, Pontins, Haven Holidays... exotic stuff.
    You got to go on a boat as well.
    Plus there was the fact that they do not understand 'howaya' over there.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Were Mondays happier in the 90s?
    :)

Your'e twisting that posters melon man.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Ireland boomed economically. Ireland had a sexual revolution, female presidents, the peace process, young people could afford to live in cities, emigrants came back with strange ideas of how things should be. It was our version of the 60s in the rest of the developed world.

• Advertisement

You reckon people will look back fondly on the era when Trump was president. :D

In addition to a global financial crisis, austerity and Brexit. I asked people how the 2010s would be remembered and I didn't get many good responses.

I suppose it depends if the person views the world through Americancentric eyes.
    If you are of the viewpoint that America sneezes the world gets a cold etc.

For me from the outside looking in to America it was in order of importance -

Nirvana, MTV, Beavis and Buthead, and NBA on channel four - leading to an obsession with Nike runners.

All that Gulf War stuff/Oil seemed like a film 'patriot missiles' - Sadam's Mustache :confused:

The 90s was an era that was in between threats. Nuclear war was no longer a threat and the impacts of environmental destruction weren't yet widely publicised. The doomsday clock was as far away from midnight in 1991 than it has ever been.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doomsday_Clock

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

cgcsb wrote: »
    The 90s was an era that was in between threats. Nuclear war was no longer a threat and the impacts of environmental destruction weren't yet widely publicised. The doomsday clock was as far away from midnight in 1991 than it has ever been.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doomsday_Clock

There were environmental issues. Acid rain and the deforestation of the Amazon basin were hot topics. Also Greenpeace were very active in the 1990s with the Rainbow Warrior. They had a lot of supporters from music and the media, people you might call social justice warriors or lefty liberals today. It was ok to be a liberal in the 1990s, liberals were reasonable people back then.

Does anybody remember the Gulf War of 1991? Scud missiles were the trendy weapon then. The 1990s weren't totally innocent bit there was a sense the fighting was for the benefit of the world.

I agree that the 1990s were Ireland's version of the 1960s. The clerical abuse scandals of the late 1990s loosened the churches' hold on people. The legalisation of divorce in 1995 was also a turning point.

College fees were abolished around 1996 which was a great step forward.

People didn't seem to work as hard back then and if they did they were rewarded for it. It wasn't the hamster wheel like you have now where you are running non-stop to keep still. Perhaps it was that fewer people had long commutes, they could live near their families and had time to interact with their neighbours.

The 1990s was probably the last decade to have a soul before the Celtic Tiger came along and ensuing crash wrecked everything. The little bit of prosperity in the 1990s was real because most people benefited.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭brainfreeze

You reckon people will look back fondly on the era when Trump was president. :D

In addition to a global financial crisis, austerity and Brexit. I asked people how the 2010s would be remembered and I didn't get many good responses.

Yep. Every generation does it.

I remember having a conversation with my sister in the early 2000s discussing how the 90s was a "nothing" decade that had nothing special about it, nothing unique like the 80s etc. We where just too close to the date to take a step back and see the things that are quintessential 90s today, because we had been too close to the time period. Seems almost mornoic to say there was nothing culturally significant about the 90s now.

same with the 2010s, right now you just see the generic and the bad, but the dust will settle and it will be romanticized.

You thinking about Trump, Brexit, other bad stuff defining the 2010s in future peoples nostalgic mind, is like assuming when people today think of the 90s they only think of The Troubles, Iraq War, Rwandan and Bosnian Genocides etc. People usually only remember the good in these type of discussions. The 90s was no utopia.

Emme wrote: »
    There were environmental issues. Acid rain and the deforestation of the Amazon basin were hot topics. Also Greenpeace were very active in the 1990s with the Rainbow Warrior. They had a lot of supporters from music and the media, people you might call social justice warriors or lefty liberals today. It was ok to be a liberal in the 1990s, liberals were reasonable people back then.

Environmentalist causes were far away though, Our only brush with such thinking was the glen of the downs.

• Advertisement

You thinking about Trump, Brexit, other bad stuff defining the 2010s in future peoples nostalgic mind, is like assuming when people today think of the 90s they only think of The Troubles, Iraq War, Rwandan and Bosnian Genocides etc. People usually only remember the good in these type of discussions. The 90s was no utopia.

That's if there is much of a future for humanity which looks doubtful. Doomsday clock has 2 minutes left. Governments don't care about anything beyond the next election cycle, the population don't care about anything (other than love island). The human food chain will be severely impacted by environmental degradation in the next 2 decades.

Environmentalist causes were far away though, Our only brush with such thinking was the glen of the downs.

At the start of the 90's I was finishing primary.
    I remember watching educational videos at school, about climate change even back then.

Even George Bush spoke about it in 1990.

At the start of the 90's I was finishing primary.
    I remember watching educational videos at school, about climate change even back then.

School children will be ahead of the curve because they create the curve when they grow up. Adults and certainly governments didn't give a fig. It wasn't until the late 90s that recycling became common place, people thought nothing of gratuitous plastic waste, including carrier bags.

School children will be ahead of the curve because they create the curve when they grow up. Adults and certainly governments didn't give a fig. It wasn't until the late 90s that recycling became common place, people thought nothing of gratuitous plastic waste, including carrier bags.

See above I found a clip about George Bush talking about it in 1990.
    So it was certainly the start of people taking notice.
    It amuses me that the kids of today seem to view it as a new thing.
    The education system really has drilled it into generations at this stage I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

"The 90's are going to make the 60's look like the 50's"

Final line in the 1990 movie flashback, by Dennis Hopper playing an aging Hippie.

Was he correct?

Great movie by the way, but largely forgotten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

In terms of overall global war and the threat of war it was a definite high point though.

The cold war ended, meaning:

Nuclear arsenals plummeted (I mean really plummeted, until the 90's tens of thousands were deployed on a hair trigger to launch on land, sea and air in circumstances that would never be accepted nowadays);
    The threat of nuclear war went from constant risk and sometimes immediate (see Able Archer 83 or any other alert emergency from the period) to sweet FA so the media had to eventually use nonsense like dirty bombs to scare us into watching;
    Arms budgets went through the floor leaving a considerable peace dividend;
    Eastern European countries finally achieved self-determination and began the long, messy but overall positive path to their current prosperity;
    The Northern Irish Troubles eventually ended after the US put pressure on the British to pursue the peace process. Until the end of the Cold War it regarded it as an internal British matter. Once the strategic need for a British partner was lessened the US mediated the peace process. We may have got there eventually but not nearly as fast.

Most of the immediate bad stuff was a result of the cold war, and triggered by its ending:
    Yugoslavia collapsed, it had been held together by coercion and kept afloat by both East and West as it hedged one against the other;
    Zaire collapsed as the west didn't need Mobutu anymore, this led to the long agony of central Africa's wars over the mineral spoils of the Congo;
    Afghanistan had been turned into a morass of competing warlords by the USSR, USA, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia and Iran for reasons of Cold War realpolitik.

Eventually the rising tide of Islamist extremism, contributed to by the US in the 1980s, came up against the high point of American hubris, in bed with a military industrial complex that missed the good old days, and resulted in the war on terror. But that wasn't until the 2000s.

Popular theorists were writing utopian books about the end of history in the 1990s. Since then people have only been been writing dystopian visions of every imaginable apocalypse : economic, military, religious, climate, robots, zombies. Nobody will look back on our times like people do the 90s, unless things get much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

People interacted more. People are lonelier now because they are all on phones and trying to be Instagram queens.

The music was better. The clothes were better.

They were glorious and grunge tinged.

Everything is so generic now.

Spot on also we had no constant media climate doom and how the ordinary people are to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Spot on also we had no constant media climate doom and how the ordinary people are to blame.

Future generations won't have to worry about "media climate doom", they'll be busy dealing with out actual "climate doom"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

joe40 wrote: »
    Future generations won't have to worry about "media climate doom", they'll be busy dealing with out actual "climate doom"

Do you actually believe that nonsense? Even the scientists agree that the media exaggerate it. Nobody can predict the future whether it’s the climate or otherwise.

"The 90's are going to make the 60's look like the 50's"

Final line in the 1990 movie flashback, by Dennis Hopper playing an aging Hippie.

Was he correct?

Great movie by the way, but largely forgotten.

You used to be able to say a lot more in the 90's without fear of offending xyz group.
    Social Media has meant that even a small minority can now whip up a controversy/storm because 'such and such' said.

I know political correctness changes over time, but what has changed now is the magnifying glass on people policing others every move and utterance.

I think this generation will not realise how constrained they have made themselves as they grew up in it.
    If you told me in the early 90's that ordinary people will become celebrities for doing nothing of note except being famous I would have laughed.
    Paris Hilton and the like arrived at the tail end of it.
    Now it is easier for anyone to become 'famous'/ an influencer' for nothing of note than any other period in history.
    The 90's was also the start of the more aggressive feminist movement - to keep up with the fella's 'lad culture' - before it got today's silly levels.

Terminology was a lot different.
    The phrases snowflake, influence, social justice warrior, triggered, did not exist into today's sense.
    The term African American/black was used more by the yanks instead of today's strange 'people of colour'.

The 90's look carefree in comparison to the 2010's now. People seem to only to have the freedom to do what thier 'group think bubble' tells them is permitted - on social media.
    But I suppose the end of those days of most pedestrians looking where they are going when crossing the road, is the price of progress and technology?
    Strangers used to have conversations on public transport.
    Now it is mainly 'conversations' online, facebook, twitter, apps etc.
    Information is everywhere instantly, the youngsters today have to filter through all of that - and differentiate the good from the bad from an early age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,297 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

No, having failed to learn the important lessons of prescient 1990s movies Independence Day & Armageddon, we'll all be wiped out in an alien invasion \ comet strike having wasted billions on imaginary climate change fears rather than investing in an orbital defence grid!
    He says, using his After Hours voice.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

The shiny nineties it was. Every day the sun was out and every day all the people were happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

For saying what you wanted the 90s was a sweet spot between traditional taboos eroding and the new ones being established. As a result comedy and creative arts in general felt much more free.

It's curious how quickly the old lady squinting through her net curtains and judging you for missing mass was succeeded by the Twitter virtue-monger, whipping up the online mob to ruin your life if you say anything they don't like. Evidently policing the behaviour and words of others is a deep seated human urge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

This generation is almost under surveiilance, everywhere you go there
    are camera,s , eg everyone has a smartphone.
    Its weird to think 14 year old teens are using social media ,
    they are judged by did they get likes , do they look good in selfies .
    In 15 years time will future politicans be judged by what they posted on youtube, twitter, facebook when they were teenagers .
    In the 90s young people did not have to worry about being bullied online.
    People on facebook are posting 100,s of photos, of their children.
    The power of the catholic church was waning , so there was more freedom
    in the 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

He's the leader of the world's biggest superpower. It's part of all of our lives, whether we like it or not. It's also a rather strange attitude to think that we can only dislike him or his policies if we have actually met him.

I'm sure you'll be calling up everybody who mentioned political developments in the 90s and asking them how people they never met can be part of their life.
    There is not much to either like or dislike. He is simply not part of my life.

I can't honestly think of a single way in which Donald Trump has affected my life in any meaningful sense, either before or during his presidency. I'm an average Irish person. The media over-focuses on him here. They have made him into a caricature or pantomime villain, a lightening rod for the anger of people who are dissatisfied with their lives.
    I have no idea how an average Irish person can weigh up today versus the 90s and see Donald Trump as a meaningful factor in the equation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭pah

Just flicking through and landed on Starship Troopers. Who could forget that gem!

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

For me it depends on which half of the 90s you're referring to. I was born in 1980, so was still very much a kid when the 90s began. I grew up in Liverpool, which was an economic black hole under the British Tory government, Hillsborough had just happened and we felt like we were under attack. But come the mid-90s and everything just seemed to change. The music was amazing, especially when Oasis became big. At the time, I loved the clothes and fashion (looking back at old photos now, I'm not so sure!). But music was definitely amazing. So many awesome bands. It could just be that I had become a young adult and was able to experience live music for the first time and explore different aspects of life. But I definitely loved the second half of the 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,297 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The BBC are getting in on the 1990s nostalgia, this is a radio adaptation of Sweet Sorrow by David Nicholls (One Day, Us, Patrick Melrose), read by James Norton (McMafia).

It's a coming of age tale set in late 90s...
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0006sxh

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭circadian

For some reason mid 90's always makes me think of sunshine. I think we had a couple of heatwaves in 93/94 probably, not to mention the slow movement towards peace and ceasefires.

It was certainly less gloomy than the 80's in my mind although the Atari 2600 and C64 were stand out 80's moments for me.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

In fairness it got off to a good start. Italia 90, World Cup 94. All good times the country got together. Most memories are of having proper sun in the summer.

Pub culture was alive and well. The big regret I have is not going to slane for Oasis and REM.

Advertisement