Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAMSAT 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Adreidphysio

What do you think of a score of 60 then? Much difference?
    You're having a laugh, right? Don't think the cut off for UCD has ever been that high, I don't even recall it ever being 60 never mind 62+. The cut off first round last year was 59* (and subsequently dropped to 58*) It is extremely unlikely to jump 3 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Urethra Franklin.

What do you think of a score of 60 then? Much difference?

Oh gosh I'm not an expert in the slightest. Just my opinion above but I reckon worst case scenario would be a 1 point jump. Could also drop, who knows. I looked at past years and there was one year where UCD and UCC both jumped by 2 points in round 0, but I think that was the year the GAMSAT changed its style of questioning so I guess people scored better overall. Also that was during the crash so a lot of people would have seen medicine as a good reliable career/couldn't get jobs in their own field. Now there's a "boom" again and people can find work a lot more easily, also medicine is not a desirable career for making tons and tons of money, people are more willing to follow careers which may be more risky stability wise but more financially rewarding; if I for example was to stay in my current field I could potentially earn 60k p/a in 2 or 3 years. Excluding over time if I was accepted to Medicine this year and never repeated a year, it wouldn't be until I reached SHO level till I could earn that sort of money-a minimum of 6 years away. Possibly more. I have no inclination how many people applied to grad med this year but there are more reasons to avoid it than in previous years; less people normally means less competition. Personally, I'm hoping for a drop in points :P

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭santino

Tooms1234 wrote: »
    Hi ya,

Last year when I applied I was almost rejected because of inadequate documentation. I sent transcripts instead of original copies. NUI Galway were very helpful to me by issuing my original copies as quick as possible once I found out there was an issue. I received the original copies just in time for my new deadline given to me by the CAO.
    Here is what they sent me last year.

"Dear Applicant,

This is an automated e-mail generated as a result of the e-mail address provided in your 2018 CAO application.

Thank you for your application to study Graduate Medicine. The institutions concerned have collectively reviewed your application and based on the documentation received as of July 15th 2018, you have been deemed ineligible to compete for the following reason:

- Inadequate documentation supplied (all candidates were required to submit original academic transcripts for all years of their first NFQ Level 8 primary degree, detailing final degree classification)

If you have a query with respect to what documentation is outstanding, you should contact one of the Admissions Offices to which you have applied.

If you wish to appeal this decision, you must do so by writing to CAO, outlining your appeal and presenting your outstanding supporting documents.

All documentation pertaining to your appeal must be received at CAO no later than Thursday July 26th, 2018 at 5.15 p.m. You should write 'Graduate Medicine Appeal' at the top of the envelope.

Please note that no appeals will be considered after July 26th, 5:15 p.m."

So I advise you to call the CAO tomorrow to confirm if your transcripts are adequate because they weren't for me. Hope this helps and good luck with your application.

Hi guys,

Major help would be appreciated here.

I got a similar email to the one above today.
    I've been onto CAO stating that I sent ORIGINAL transcripts on the 17th Feb last. These have my undergrad colleges stamp (in colour). I'm digging out my own copy shortly. I was extremely careful of this when applying, not wanting to end up in this situation.
    These are also available to view as scans on the CAO website.

CAO replied basically saying its out of their hands and to appeal. I have until Monday morning.

Now, the thing is they ONLY provided the UCD email address. UCD is my 4th choice and I have emailed them to ask their opinion and to see what info they received.
    I'm wondering does the UCD admissions office oversee the admissions for the whole country (unlikely) or is this just a UCD issue?

I have also emailed UL (my 1st choice) to see if they have any issue with my documentation. Going to ring them in the morning too.

Freaking out here guys.

PS. This isn't my first time applying. The info I sent last year is identical to the info I sent this year and that was accepted last year. Totally confused and frustrated.

Help if you can. What should I do???

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭indiep

Not sure if this is the email you contact for UL but use this one medicalschool@ul.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

indiep wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the email you contact for UL but use this one medicalschool@ul.ie

Just to tack on to this. I'd also send the same email to saa@ul.ie which is the point of contact for Student Academic Administration. They are fairly slow to reply and since you're time limited I'd contact them by telephone too on +353 61 233755

• Advertisement

Thanks for the contact details. Have emailed and will follow up by phone tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭indiep

Good luck! Hopefully you'll be ok :)

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭arainagusime

It seems eligibility cannot be confirmed until offers come out! The admissions offices will still inform you if the documentation in your appeal is sufficient if you ask -- just no final answers.

santino wrote: »
    Thanks for the contact details. Have emailed and will follow up by phone tomorrow.

How did you get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 1direction

How did you get on?

Did you get yours sorted in the end?

• Advertisement

1direction wrote: »
    Did you get yours sorted in the end?

As far as I can tell, yes. They just needed another transcript from me and I sent it in.

The CAO will inform us if the appeal is successful before offers come out next Thursday, so fingers crossed.

I don't think I will be able to relax until Aug 1 at 6 am. Luckily it is just around the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Kagana

Are there any current GEM students, preferably from UCC, who could tell what textbooks have been used most recently for First Year students? I was hoping to get them beforehand, although I could be behind the times in thinking that they still use textbooks instead of electronic resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Rwalsh22

Kagana wrote: »
    Are there any current GEM students, preferably from UCC, who could tell what textbooks have been used most recently for First Year students? I was hoping to get them beforehand, although I could be behind the times in thinking that they still use textbooks instead of electronic resources.
    I was talking to a person going into 2nd year GEM in UCC and she said that they tend to pass down PDFs of the required books from year to year so no need to buy hard copies I think 🙂

As far as I can tell, yes. They just needed another transcript from me and I sent it in.

The CAO will inform us if the appeal is successful before offers come out next Thursday, so fingers crossed.

I don't think I will be able to relax until Aug 1 at 6 am. Luckily it is just around the corner.

Hi. Sorry for delay.
    Thursday was a long day between phone calls and emails. But CAO finally seem to have tracked down the original docs. Had several heart attacks. UL admissions were extremely helpful, won't mention names just in case. Appeals are in the CAO office on Monday so hopefully all goes to plan.

Hi. Sorry for delay.
    Thursday was a long day between phone calls and emails. But CAO finally seem to have tracked down the original docs. Had several heart attacks. UL admissions were extremely helpful, won't mention names just in case. Appeals are in the CAO office on Monday so hopefully all goes to plan.

Glad to hear. Good luck with it all :)

I know this is going to drive me crazy but...any predictions for the Round 0 cutoffs?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 DANCER97

I know this is going to drive me crazy but...any predictions for the Round 0 cutoffs?

UCD:60*
    RCSI 60*
    UCC:58*
    UL 56*

DANCER97 wrote: »
    RCSI 60*
    UL 56*

Interesting. What makes you think the points will go up?

UCD - 58*
    RCSI - 59
    UCC- 58
    UL - 56

I don't think points will go up drastically because the economy was still booming when people started preparing for this admission cycle in 2017-2018.

Also the CAO and Irish Times released data a few months ago saying that medicine applications have stayed the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 DANCER97

Interesting. What makes you think the points will go up?

Since the introduction of the Gamsat the points necessary for admission to grad med have gone up regardless of the economy. While undergrad med/medical like courses do seem to be linked to the economy as students leave school looking for a good job in a bad economy or a dream in a good economy, most students doing grad med are doing it not for the job but because they are following a vocation.

• Advertisement

I would imagine gradmed is more influenced by the economy though as a considerably higher bill has to be footed by those most likely independent with full time jobs and their own bills to pay. As opposed to undergrads who are most likely still being supported by their parents with a smaller bill to pay.

However what I found is the most significant indicator of points change is the change in format of the gamsat. Maybe people from previous years can shed light on this. But I felt this year section 3 was completely "reasoning based" as opposed to questions you could rote learn for. To me this would actually cause a points decrease. Anybody care to comment on this?

I get the impression that for every reason for a points increase, there's also a reason for them to decrease/stagnate. Therefore I think it's most likely they'll be quite similar to last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Urethra Franklin.

There was some year where the points jumped massively for all the courses. I think that was the year GAMSAT changed its format. Theyve fluctuated slightly but stayed much the same year to year. I'd be surprised if any colleges fluctuated by more than a point (up or down) as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 seller285

DANCER97 wrote: »
    RCSI 60*
    UL 56*

As someone with a score of 56 hoping for UL, this is a somewhat chilling prediction lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 seller285

If there was a choice between two applicants on the same score (an asterisk-marked cut-off score), would the person with the master's degree (a master's degree in bio med with distinction as opposed to a 2:1 bachelor's degree) be given an offer instead of the one with a bachelor's degree? I'm wondering if maybe none of that is taken into consideration as long as applicants meet the minimum 2:1 bachelor's degree requirement. I'm not liking the thought of being entered into a lottery.

seller285 wrote: »
    If there was a choice between two applicants on the same score (an asterisk-marked cut-off score), would the person with the master's degree (a master's degree in bio med with distinction as opposed to a 2:1 bachelor's degree) be given an offer instead of the one with a bachelor's degree? I'm wondering if maybe none of that is taken into consideration as long as applicants meet the minimum 2:1 bachelor's degree requirement. I'm not liking the thought of being entered into a lottery.

The SOP is that it is a lottery because that is what the CAO does for all of the courses it runs. If schools make an offer to you personally over the phone in round 3 or later, I imagine some subjectivity could come into play.

As you have a 56, the past 10 years of data shows you are highly likely to get an offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MxO

What are the chances of getting into UL with 55?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 1direction

I mean to be fair guys, no one can actually predict what’s going to happen. I guess we’re going to wait out the next few days unfortunately but best to keep positive that scores don’t shift too much (unless they want to go down lol)

Eligibility emails are out and to say I am delighted with the result is an understatement. I hope everyone else who submitted their appeal is happy.

Eligibility emails are out and to say I am delighted with the result is an understatement. I hope everyone else who submitted their appeal is happy.

Exact same here, some pressure lifted anyway.

Without tempting fate, do people know if successful applicants get emails from CAO on thursday morning or must we log into their website to check? Touch wood etc

• Advertisement

Exact same here, some pressure lifted anyway.

Without tempting fate, do people know if successful applicants get emails from CAO on thursday morning or must we log into their website to check? Touch wood etc

You log in to check, emails do come but are often later.

Advertisement